rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Got my first blazer.. how is the fit?

This would be my first blazer, if I were to keep it. Last time I ended up returning it because the armholes were too low. I got this one from zara, you can see it here

Here are a few pics, how is this fit? Especially around the shoulder, armhole height.. I hope it is not too loose. It isn't exactly a slim blazer, but I hope it outlines my body shape well.

http://imgur.com/nkpOvWA
http://imgur.com/YhdQ3Y0
http://imgur.com/JvGb4Mp
http://imgur.com/ekKXRFN

How is the style overall?

I am looking to use this casually, for the most part. With khaki chinos, gray chinos, or dark denim for the most part. On occasion I would use it semi-formally, with khakis and a button up with a tie or something. But mostly casual, night-on-the-town wear.

First order of biz:

You need to tailor the sleeves. Way too long.

Looks cool though.

What does that set you back at Zara?

Yeah, I know the very first thing I need to do will be tailor the wrist. I forgot to mention that. But besides that.. is it fine that it is not a slim fit? It doesn't look loose but it doesn't really shape around my body.

Am I just overanalyzing?

And what do you mean? I payed about $140 for this. More than I would have liked, since I just want this for casual use, but if it lasts for a few years I'm happy with it.

Take your time and find a proper tailor, that will look at every aspect of the fit to determine what it needs. Looks good so far though.

Yeah, looks good. Now you just need some nice jeans to go along with it...

Oh shit I forgot. Never buy a blazer off the shelf and take the tags off until you take it to the tailor. That way if it's not going to fit well you can return it for another style or size.

Do they have shoulder pads in them? I personally think blazers look better without shoulder pads so your own size fills them out.

Is that suede? You'll look boss in it after you get it tailored.

Quote: (02-12-2013 04:44 PM)Nascimento Wrote:  

Yeah, I know the very first thing I need to do will be tailor the wrist. I forgot to mention that. But besides that.. is it fine that it is not a slim fit? It doesn't look loose but it doesn't really shape around my body.

Am I just overanalyzing?

And what do you mean? I payed about $140 for this. More than I would have liked, since I just want this for casual use, but if it lasts for a few years I'm happy with it.

Don't worry about the whole "super slim fit" thing, I think that jacket is your size (or it looks to be, hard to tell from photos sometimes). The super slim fit thing looks good on skinny guys that are 6'2 or so. You don't look super skinny so I think you are fine.

It looks like the vents are still sewn shut, so when you open them it will probably look better.

At $140 you can't lose holmes.

Now go to the tailor, go get some fly girls and tell us about it.

1) On pic 3, the armholes are too low/too much shoulder padding.

2) Shorten the Sleeves (and when you go to shorten the sleeves, where a dress shirt that fits you properly, so you have the right amount of sleeve showing)

3) Next time you take a pic - complete the outfit, looks weird with a t-shirt
4) Needs a pocket square to break up the expanse of navy

All in all, a good first blazer.

Is this the dominant style in your area?

I'm still not sure how you guys are really making a suit work to your advantage, especially if you're a youngster, and especially if you are rolling solo.

WIA

Also,
Buy different blazers with different sizes. Because, some style and occasions look better with different cuts. Just a though.

"All My Bitches love me....I love all my bitches,
but its like soon as I cum... I come to my senses."

Quote:Quote:

Take your time and find a proper tailor, that will look at every aspect of the fit to determine what it needs. Looks good so far though.

I will definitely get it tailored on the sleeves. My once concern though is the armhole height.. I hear to restructure that you may spend a ridiculous amount, since it is a chore. If I have to tailor more than the sleeves, I might as well return it and opt for another. That is why I am concerned about the fit so much.

2) Shorten the Sleeves (and when you go to shorten the sleeves, where a dress shirt that fits you properly, so you have the right amount of sleeve showing)

I'm still not sure how you guys are really making a suit work to your advantage, especially if you're a youngster, and especially if you are rolling solo.

If they are actually too low, I might just return them. Is it still a proper fit for a first blazer? I am not looking for a perfect fit, but definitely something that fits well and doesn't look odd on me. I know that one day I'll invest in a tailored blazer that is quality, so I am not worrying about now, but mainly something to get me by.

Also, I was thinking about using this with just regular t-shirts underneath. If I go to a club, where the crowd is my age (19-22 most girls) then I wouldn't bother dressing up too much. Just a nice fitted T, nice jeans/chinos, with either converse sneakers or a pair of decent shoes.

My main purpose for getting a blazer right now is so I can contrast from the different guys my age, allowing me to look more mature, but not try hard. Although if I went to a bar where the crowd is better dressed than at your typical club, I'd wear something such as a light blue or pink button down with this blazer.

Having said that, I think at this point I will keep the blazer, but I have to decide on whether this armhole being kind of low is really a problem. What do you guys think?

I got a navy Zara Blazer too. They make pretty decent stuff at good prices
Like the other's already said, sleeves are too long and it could be a bit more slim fit in my taste. Go to a decent tailor and he'll tailor it to your needs for about 50$.
I'd wear the blazer open, sleeves rolled up(that way the fit won't really matter) and with a handkerchief in the suit pocket and rock it with some V/deep neck T-shirt in white or gray, skinny jeans and some nice brown leather shoes. Usually works well for me

PS: make sure you turn the sleeves inside out when you roll them up, I think the contrast looks cool

“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
-Socrates

Quote: (02-12-2013 06:39 PM)Nascimento Wrote:  

I will definitely get it tailored on the sleeves. My once concern though is the armhole height.. I hear to restructure that you may spend a ridiculous amount, since it is a chore. If I have to tailor more than the sleeves, I might as well return it and opt for another. That is why I am concerned about the fit so much.

If they are actually too low, I might just return them. Is it still a proper fit for a first blazer? I am not looking for a perfect fit, but definitely something that fits well and doesn't look odd on me. I know that one day I'll invest in a tailored blazer that is quality, so I am not worrying about now, but mainly something to get me by.

Also, I was thinking about using this with just regular t-shirts underneath. If I go to a club, where the crowd is my age (19-22 most girls) then I wouldn't bother dressing up too much. Just a nice fitted T, nice jeans/chinos, with either converse sneakers or a pair of decent shoes.

My main purpose for getting a blazer right now is so I can contrast from the different guys my age, allowing me to look more mature, but not try hard. Although if I went to a bar where the crowd is better dressed than at your typical club, I'd wear something such as a light blue or pink button down with this blazer.

Having said that, I think at this point I will keep the blazer, but I have to decide on whether this armhole being kind of low is really a problem. What do you guys think?

You are looking for Custom and spending $140.

That is like dropping $1400 on a hooptie and wanting a Maserati.

Go to the tailor and quit stressing.

You wear it 14 times, it averages out to $10 per wear.

Hell, you can't even buy a sandwich for $10 anymore.

Fit is fussy. I'd head on over to http://www.styleforum.net and look for the suit/blazer reviews that discuss fit.

I think it looks fine for your purpose, especially if your target market is young. A 19 year old chick is not gonna know the difference between a bespoke Oswald Boateng, off the shelf Brioni, a joint from J. Crew, or a thrifted jacket from the Salvation Army.

There's absolutely no need ever to get a bespoke suit, or even an expensive suit/jacket/sports coat/blazer to pick up any woman.

1. pick a better t-shirt, or take better pictures. It doesn't look right.

This is how it should look

[Image: 115289_chace-crawford-wears-a-blazer-and...8-2010.jpg]

or

[Image: 6e4313d9C-6_634x790.jpg]

2. button down?
- a dress shirt (basic)
- or a dress shirt with a button down collar (preppy)

3. the Armholes are not a problem. Most off the racks suits fit like that. To find something with higher arm holes would mean you either go to http://www.yoox.com and pray, or hit the thrift stores and dig.

WIA

The most precise way to check the shoulders is have someone standing behind you eyeball it while you wear it.

Horizontal lines along the shoulders - too tight.
Vertical lines between shoulder blades - too loose.
With a proper fit, it will all just sit flat.

I'm not a fan of the elbow patches or the very structured shoulder. Otherwise it looks good.

The only thing I would use a tailor for is the sleeves. If an off the rack jacket needs more work than that, forget it and look for another jacket.

Crew neck with a tight fit around the neck is my go-to T shirt for a blazer. Just like in WIA's pictures. Make sure the T shirt is brand new or looks that way - perfectly uniform around the neck and not busted looking.

Quote: (02-12-2013 07:28 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

or

2. button down?
- a dress shirt (basic)
- or a dress shirt with a button down collar (preppy)

3. the Armholes are not a problem. Most off the racks suits fit like that. To find something with higher arm holes would mean you either go to http://www.yoox.com and pray, or hit the thrift stores and dig.

WIA

Is that Mixx on the left?

actually sleeves seem ok. sleeves can be long, just make sure shirt sleeve is long.

Quote: (02-12-2013 08:20 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Quote: (02-12-2013 07:28 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

or

Is that Mixx on the left?

Mixx and Choche at the 2013 Handsome Light Skinned Latino Convention

Obvious was the sleeves are too long, but an easy fix.. I'm presuming they are non-working cuffs.

The part that is in effect here is called the Armscye, the diameter of the hole cut into the vest panel and back to make way for the sleeve.

It is way too much effort to get modified after tailoring, and it is the item that is what is the real value of bespoke.

That is why even MTM suits are still a lottery.

The seam of the armscye where it meats the front face of the sleeve just does wonders for the fit, if it is the right fit.

Your off the shelf and MTM can't make enough variants for this, so you'll get a store/regional/country average so to speak, which for the sake of conservatism veers on the side of too big.

That said, it's not overtly big anyway and your build and posture do it justice.

being an ever so slightly big blazer, you will want to add layers/bulk to the garments under it. So a thick fabric shirt with a collar, or an unbuttoned long sleeve shirt over a t.

Not too much, but imagine your supplied pictures with a body bugging shirt and the big shoulder stand out more.

The armhole is what is obvously a less than perfect fit, but it's really not something you can fix easily to be honest.

Quote: (02-12-2013 09:46 PM)jimukr104 Wrote:  

actually sleeves seem ok. sleeves can be long, just make sure shirt sleeve is long.

Huh?

Are you joking?

Or trying to steer the kid wrong?

You want like a quarter inch of your sleeve showing past the jacket.

You want to know the only thing you can assume about a broken down old man? It's that he's a survivor.

Quote: (02-12-2013 06:12 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Don't worry about the whole "super slim fit" thing, I think that jacket is your size (or it looks to be, hard to tell from photos sometimes). The super slim fit thing looks good on skinny guys that are 6'2 or so. You don't look super skinny so I think you are fine.

I disagree. Slim fit looks also good on guys with an average figure:
[Image: E9AEvR4.jpg] [Image: 9lcajAo.jpg]

But it even helps bigger guys to look slimmer:
[Image: vsI46Er.jpg] [Image: wAYYFUO.jpg]

The length of the jacket is key with the slim fit suits.
This is where most if not all custom tailors in the mid-range price class fail.
Just make sure to tell it to them.

I prefer the jacket to end at the beginning or middle of my thumb when it's buttoned up.
You'll wear the jacket unbuttoned most of the time and the jacket will look a tad longer then.

Go for longer button stances with slim suits.
This is where the big guy doesn't get it right in the above slim suit picture. He should have a longer button stance which would stretch him out.

As it has already be mentioned in this thread multiple times, the sleeves shouldn't be too long.
If you buy your suit off the rack the sleeves will usually be too long in an attempt to fit everybody.

Last but but not least, if you go slim make sure the jacket has side vents.

I might just be nitpicking.. but now I am worried about the shoulder fit, specifically the edge. It seems sharp rather than a round look. Is this a problem? When I move my arms it comes up into a jagged edge and doesn't outline my shoulder.

http://imgur.com/JvGb4Mp

It's a padded shoulder, of course it's not rounded like you natural shoulder.

WIA