rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Protect yourself while traveling.

Everyone knows the whole dont flash jewelery or money, keep your main stash in one pocket and your spending money in the other, but I would like to add a few things that may or may not be common sense. I've been to 34 countries or so without incident.

#1 when walking around at night, make an effort to watch your surroundings, not just for yourself but people are less likely to rob someone who is paying attention. I have been on roads where a few minutes later someone was robbed.

There is a saying, "wolves know other wolves" MAKE EYE contact with that guy skulking in the dark, not too long to challenge, but just long enough to let him know you see him and you arent scared. I even give the mutual respect head nod quite often. Its signifies you are an equal. NEVER break eye contact by looking down, its a sign of submission.

Dont fight if you dont have to, me? Ima beat some dudes ass if I need to but I have been in martial arts for 18 years and trained by uncle sam. Uncle sam was nice enough to permanently hire one of Royce Gracies cousins to train our office. I will still walk away from a fight 95% of the time, but not if some ass has a gun or knife and threatens my life.(dont try to disarm someone unless you have practiced hundreds of times and KNOW without a doubt you can do it) and almost never a knife, you will almost always get cut, despite what you see in movies.

#2 I always wear a belt with a nice heavy belt buckle shaped like a chevy symbol. If someone has a knife, I can pull off my belt in an instant and slash open their face from about 5 feet away with my buckle holding the end of my belt.

#3 I almost always wear cowboy boots. They make me over 6ft tall, make my posture better, AND you can kick/stomp the shit out of someone, alternately you can hook your fingers through the hoops at the top of your boot and swing it like a hammer and beat the piss outa someone. Kick a knife out of someones hand with out them slicing your leg open.

If you have to attack someone, remember: Speed, surprise, and violence of action. Action is always faster then reaction

Often I will buy a small pocket knife where ever I am (check the laws first) Barring that, any pen makes a great weapon, I prefer solid steel ones like a zebra or the like. Narrow tip, you can stab just about anywhere and cause damage. Eyes preferably, throat, chest, groin.

It takes care to walk around like you can take care of yourself and are not scared but DONT walk around like a badass. It will make other bad asses want to test you. There is always someone tougher.

I never wear jewelery besides a unique necklace. I dont carry my passport, I carry my DL and a color photo copy of my passport. Rarely do I carry my CC unless I think I will need it, I just take enough cash.

Just a few thoughts as I am not sleepy yet.

Great post. I often watch bruce lee movies for inspiration and train the movements in my garden. Also, if somebody attacks you or looks at you, always start roaring like a lion, since it will almost always scare people away. I don't take any chances, so sometimes I look a little stupid, when roaring at random people in a bar. After that the best thing you can do is to apologize and quickly get your ass out.

LOL roar! I know it would surprise me!

Beebopaloo, we also have different histories, I was military, then police, then federal agent(under cover 7 years), until I got fed up with the political BS and back door dealing shit. Im not some macho guy, but I do look at the world differently then some.

Love bruce lee. All styles and no style.

Great post clr! Loved specially that part:

Quote:Quote:

There is a saying, "wolves know other wolves" MAKE EYE contact with that guy skulking in the dark, not too long to challenge, but just long enough to let him know you see him and you arent scared. I even give the mutual respect head nod quite often. Its signifies you are an equal. NEVER break eye contact by looking down, its a sign of submission.

Have you had any close calls where you had to actually use physical force?

Yes, but very rarely, now but believe it or not, even though I am a goofy funny crazy guy, when I change, people step down every time. Not being too cocky but I dont train to be nice, I train to break people and have. When I get to that point and cant leave, CLR #2 comes out and every guy has picked up on it and walked away in the past. I dont call guys out very often unless they offend my friends or my girl. Me? I take a lot of shit and just walk away, but I dont let people walk over my friends/girls. On my own time? physical force, yes, fight? not in a long time.

Your primary self defense training should be 200 meter sprints. The street thug is lazy and will not chase, and is usually in poor condition.

I'm having a hard time picturing a likely scenario where tangling is a better choice than running. I'm sure you'll feel like a real tough guy when your hand is flopping around uselessly because your tendons got slashed.

Pulling a pocket knife is a great way to end up shot, badly beaten, or arrested. Your options are: 9mm, pepper spray, run. Keep an inventory of the exits.

I just carry myself like an OG, no one has ever fucked with me, and I've been to some of the "most dangerous" places in the world.

if you notice I highly recommend leaving [Image: smile.gif] I dont carry a pocket knife to knife fight. Dont confuse me with a hollywood movie either. I know real world knife fights and everyone always gets cut. I take guns to knife fights. I dont pull out knives and think they are going to scare someone, ditto on guns. [Image: smile.gif] The scenarios are worst case. I hope for the best plan for the worst.

Just a few thoughts as I saw so many bitch as tourists walking around clueless and oblivious.

Quote: (05-17-2010 02:40 PM)clr Wrote:  

LOL roar! I know it would surprise me!

Beebopaloo, we also have different histories, I was military, then police, then federal agent(under cover 7 years), until I got fed up with the political BS and back door dealing shit. Im not some macho guy, but I do look at the world differently then some.

Love bruce lee. All styles and no style.

Uh Oh, a federal agent has infiltrated Roosh's travel forum!... Better start toning down the drug questions.

This is a lot of the Akido (sp?) theory of self defense.

Be aware
Make yourself less of a target
Attempt to reduce conflict by non violent means
Unbalance/distract your opponent
Respond with overwhelming force

The only thing this theory adds is the value of a preemptive strike in terms of self defense. Sometimes, fighting is unavoidable, and in such a situation its much safer to go for the sucker punch then for something on equal footing.

But then again, ive found that people who have game are much better at avoiding fights to begin with. Its the losers who have something to prove who end up getting into fights alot. I wont say i havent been in fights, there have been a few, and i have had the crap kicked out of me by 6 guys for reasons i dont even understand, but i have been able to talk my way out of 75%+ potentially violent situations (all in drinking establishments) and i don't make myself a target anywhere i go, i have never been mugged or robbed.

I think I've done enough martial arts to handle myself in a one vs one or one vs two fight. Beyond that, a small bottle of pepper spray in your front pocket may save your hide. Funny thing is, the only day I actually needed my pepper spray was the day I forgot to bring it. I was attacked by a street dog and he mauled my arm.

Maybe you guys can give me some feedback....how much of target do you feel you are if you are dressed really well going home at night? Sometimes you don't want to flash money, but you look money...you know what I mean. Has anyone had this type of problem in their travels?

Quote: (05-19-2010 09:26 PM)Luckystar Wrote:  

Maybe you guys can give me some feedback....how much of target do you feel you are if you are dressed really well going home at night? Sometimes you don't want to flash money, but you look money...you know what I mean. Has anyone had this type of problem in their travels?

That depends on what part of the world you're talking about and how well you blend into that population.

Luckystar,
If you go out to a nice place at night, the safest and wisest thing to do on your back is not to cheap out and just cab it. The few bucks for the cab fare may save your life in some places. Just keep that in mind.

As other posters and I have said it how you carry yourself now how you dress. Similar to with women, if you hold yourself in a confident manner you are worlds ahead.

Similar in the streets, be confident as well. For example, I have met people that were dressed very nice, I could tell by how they move they know how to fight. Most people dont conciously realize this but they can tell this isnt someone they should fuck with.

The few things I added were worse case scenarios. Point to note, pepper spray only works on 50% of dogs or less, and MUCH less if they are rabid, dont EVER expect it to work. When I was a cop I empties 2 full cans of police strength pepper spray cans into a dogs mouth and eyes that was biting one of our K-9´s, then I tried to pry its mouth off with my hands(stupid) fucking thing wouldnt let go, and it was a lab.

oh and not a Fed anymore I quit that shit. [Image: smile.gif]

if anyone cares, aikido I like for control, but for pure ass kicking, take jujitsu and a form of kick boxing/muy thai. In 6 months you'll be pretty bad ass. Karate, tae kwon doe... nah.... I really like the theories behind jeet kun doe but never actually tried it

Quote: (05-20-2010 06:42 PM)clr Wrote:  

if anyone cares, aikido I like for control, but for pure ass kicking, take jujitsu and a form of kick boxing/muy thai. In 6 months you'll be pretty bad ass. Karate, tae kwon doe... nah.... I really like the theories behind jeet kun doe but never actually tried it

I study Krav Maga, I'm at level 4(green belt) but know enough to be level 5(blue), just haven't gotten around to testing. There's 7 levels with black of course being the number 7 then after that you get dan-ratings.

Quote: (05-20-2010 11:51 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Luckystar,
If you go out to a nice place at night, the safest and wisest thing to do on your back is not to cheap out and just cab it. The few bucks for the cab fare may save your life in some places. Just keep that in mind.

Good advice....looking back, a couple cab rides probably helped me avoid some dicey situations in the past...

Anyone who resists an attempted assault or robber in Latin America is at a high risk of being killed.

Advice - keep as low a profile as possible. If you are robbed, don't say anything or make any sudden movements.

If you don't want to keep a low profile, you can do what my friends in Brazil do, travel in a bullet proof car and never go anywhere outside rich enclaves.

Exactly DrArete,
The thing do in Brasil and I'm sure this applies to anywhere in South America, is to have 2 wallets, one with your IDs and credit cards and passport well secured in your safe in your hotel/apart and a cheap wallet that you carry with you with some fake/useless cards like local library cards etc.. and a few bucks, enough to get you through for the day/night. Also, have small change spread around in your various pockets and if you're going out to some expensive place, have larger bills inside your socks on the palms of your feet. Sure it might be not smelling roses when you take it out, but better safe than sorry and safety comes first. Also, if you do get mugged, which is more a matter of when rather than if in South America (unfortunately), never resist and always have a few bucks on you to give the mugger. If you have nothing on you, that might piss off the mugger and it could turn ugly. So always have some bucks to give the mugger and never ever resist. Your life is more valuable than some spare change, right? And never ever take something that you cannot afford to lose with you. At night, when you go out to nice places and are nicely dressed, always cab it. When you return from clubs/parties, restaurants or from someone's house late at night, don't be cheap, cab it. Follow the above and you'll have a blast and should have no problem.

Quote: (05-17-2010 02:40 PM)clr Wrote:  

back door dealing shit.

Sounds interesting. What type of backdoor dealing?

Quote: (05-19-2010 09:06 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

I was attacked by a street dog and he mauled my arm.

interesting... Street dog are very common in many countries. I've never seen them attack. Is that common? How did it happen?

I've been wanting to learn some type of martial art. Whats the most effective and quickest to learn?

CLR mentioned kickboxing & jujitsu. Speakeasy mentioned Krav Maga.

If you're planning on staying for at least 3-4 months in Brasil, I'd suggest sign up to join a jujitsu club or something. Or if you wan the Brasilian UFC equivalent, get into Vale Tudo. Not for the faint nor the weak but both would be an awesome way to meet some cool guys and introduced to some hot chicks. [Image: wink.gif]

The governments old boy, buddy buddy system, let me hire and promote someone that has no skills or qualifications. For example, my boss was 1 year older (I was the youngest on the squad) he had no skills or experience, NONE, other then being friends with the SAC(big wig) of the office. EVERY single person on our squad had many times his experience, the guy would shake and could not breathe when doing combat drills. Oh I didnt leave quietly either, I had taken notes for years. I wrote congressmen, IG, Office of special counsel, letters to the director, internal affairs, but all these fuckers know everyone else so its all brushed under the rug. Hell I even had criminal stuff on the sac, not just nepotism.

Flip side is minorities that are utterly incompetent and the government cant fire them unless they commit murder. I'm serious, but even my black friends and I joke that all they have to do is pull the "black card", but it works for women and gays too. The Gov just cant get rid of the morons, and have to hire a certain number to keep a quota. I got so tired of the we need a black supervisor, we need a woman supervisor. I wasnt in contention so its not like I was over looked but its stupid.

Of course I have this habit of standing up for what is right and saying my peace. Everyone would tell me, "thats just how the government is". My response was that is still doesnt make it right.

There is a theory that Dogs go for the arms, if you fold your arms behind your back they dont know where to bite. Not sure about that one, but that would be a time for my cowboy boot to go down its throat! [Image: smile.gif]

Something I have been meaning to do for a while that a friend of mine did, was had pockets sewn into the inside all of his pants. He would travel and keep his valuables there. He actually copied it from a druggie who did that and would keep his drugs in the pocket. he only found it after a strip search in the jail.

Quote: (05-22-2010 05:38 PM)PartyTime Wrote:  

I've been wanting to learn some type of martial art. Whats the most effective and quickest to learn?

CLR mentioned kickboxing & jujitsu. Speakeasy mentioned Krav Maga.

I've been through a ton of martial arts in my 18yrs of doing them. Krav maga is good but its nasty. For the average person, learn to box, preferably with a side of learning a few good kicks. Most fights that dont end right off the bat go to the ground, jujitsu will make you very good on the ground against the average person very fast.

Aikido is good, and I love it but not for straight up learning to fight well and fast.

Really a good quality mixed martial arts school should be able to teach you what you need. IMO stay away from most of the form oriented martial arts, you learn forms, NOT how to fight. Then it takes years and years before you get good. Its good for kids to learn the discipline but as an adult, learn to hold your own.