rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Black in SE Asia

Black in SE Asia

Hey, I just took a look at the Indonesia thread and was wondering if the same results could be found for Black Americans there too, then I thought about the rest of SE Asia

I did a search but I couldn't find any information.

Any black guy on the forums with experience in these areas? Indonesia, thailand, philipines mostly.

poosy paradise, or not?

P.S. I really don't want to start any race arguments, so PLEASE stay on topic, or I'll ask the mods to close the thread.

Thanks!

Isaiah 4:1

Black in SE Asia

thailand, no.

they're all obssessed with skin colour and have a strong preference for pale white skin.

better gaming westerners here.

Black in SE Asia

I am a white American but from what I have seen, Indonesia is tougher for black guys that other SE Asian countries. If I had to rank them in terms of how many times I saw a black guy with a local girl it would be:

1. Malaysia
2. Singapore
3. Taiwan (not sure if this counts as SEA)
4. Thailand
5. Vietnam
6. Indo/Philippines

No scientific data here, just what I have observed over the past year or so.

Black in SE Asia

Thailand I'm sorry to say they're pretty racist and unaware. It's kinda pathetic.

Phils I would think less so - they're in love with Americans and much more into Hip Hop. Uneducated Guess - you could do well there.

In more "civilised" places like Korea/ Japan, you've definitely got an in. It's all about finding the girls with a fetish or curiosity. You'll find girls well into it there (although you might be little more than a sex object/ fetish to them... but hey, that can work).

Black in SE Asia

Cool,. thanks for the info guys,

Yeah I used to Live in Tokyo for about 5 years. Back in the states now and was thinking of finding work in SE Asia or back in Tokyo again. I was stoked to hear that Indonesia was great, but I forgot about race for a sec. . .then I saw an article about how blacks face crazy discrimination in Indonesia [Image: sad.gif] http://love2travelwritefilm.com/2012/10/...ng-racism/

so I wanted to find out what the real deal was before I decided to go there.

But yeah, it seems that If I decided to go back, I'd probably have the best time in Japan - i'm not down with korea though mainly due to the whole having to pay out lots of money and leave the country if you happen to get in a 'fight' with a local, that and issues with locals attacking foreigners, then the foreigners get in trouble for it. -I mean Japan is somewhat similar but not nearly as bad, and most Japanese people LOVE foreigners and black folks too ESPECIALLY if you speak the language and are just cool/chill. I've met some of the best people in Japan.

Anyway, thanks guys for the info. If anyone else wants to add to, or debunk the consensus here, feel free to, just keep it civil, and add some meaningful advice if needed.

Black in SE Asia

Man, I would not carry any racial baggage to SEA. I think it's one of those places where money completely takes precedence over race. And I wouldn't say they are hard racists. They are colorists in that they prefer light skin. You could say black Americans are colorists as well in the same vein. Green is the color to be in those parts. My uncle lives in Thailand, has only dated Thai women for like the last 15 years and is now married to one last I heard. I've never once heard him complain about racism.

Black in SE Asia

to be honest SEA is not the best spot for black guys. Although I'm sure some girls don't care. The most racist people I have ever seen are Cambodians. Most of them won't even sit at a table with you if you're black. Hit up Japan, black guys have an advantage over locals and white guys to some Japanese women.

Black in SE Asia

Quote: (02-08-2013 05:25 AM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Man, I would not carry any racial baggage to SEA. I think it's one of those places where money completely takes precedence over race. And I wouldn't say they are hard racists. They are colorists in that they prefer light skin. You could say black Americans are colorists as well in the same vein. Green is the color to be in those parts. My uncle lives in Thailand, has only dated Thai women for like the last 15 years and is now married to one last I heard. I've never once heard him complain about racism.

Interesting and the exact opposite of my experience talking to Thais and Malaysians. I have never heard as much open racism and ethnic preference talk as in Thailand. They seem to dislike Indian (sorry, IRT) and black guys quite a bit. However, this is possibly due to direct experience with the specimens they come in contact with the most: Nigerian scammers and obnoxious Indian salespeople and cheap tourists. If one were to dress, act and talk in a way that distinguishes oneself from these groups and one were to avoid the areas where they typically ply their "trade" it might make a difference

Black in SE Asia

i remember watching the australian open tennis when james blake was playing.

this guy was voted sexiest athlete of the year circa 2006. there's no denying he is a very, very good looking man.

i ask the thai maid what she thinks of him. she recoils - 'ugly'. said the same thing about jo wilfred tsonga. haha, unbelievable.

thais are racist towards dark skinned people. they associate them with underclass peasants who in thailand will have darker skin due to labouring in fields day in day out.

Black in SE Asia

i remember watching the australian open tennis when james blake was playing.

this guy was voted sexiest athlete of the year circa 2006. there's no denying he is a very, very good looking man.

i ask the thai maid what she thinks of him. she recoils - 'ugly'. said the same thing about jo wilfred tsonga. haha, unbelievable.

thais are racist towards dark skinned people. they associate them with underclass peasants who in thailand will have darker skin due to labouring in fields day in day out.

Black in SE Asia

Don't believe the hype. Like Speakeasy said, SE Asians are more colorist than racist. The women wear long t-shirts to the beach for fear of getting a tan. I got a lot if funny looks in Thailand, but they were always more curious than hateful. In Chang Mai, I had high school girls walking behind me and giggling to each other. Like I said in Hen's Mexico City thread, riding the metro there made me feel like I was in a boy band.

I get the sense that a lot of white dudes are shocked by how people in other countries are so frank about race and skin color, because you come from countries where you think it's no longer an issue. If you're black, though, you've been dealing with that shit your whole life. People are curious. They want to touch your hair. They want to talk to you about rap or basketball or whatever they associate with being an American black man.

Bottom line: money, looks and, of course, game trump race in most parts of the world. Now, I can't speak authoritatively on Thai girls, because when I was there, well before this forum, I had whore-phobia and I stuck to the tourist chicks. The time that I did sped chatting up locals though, I never got the sense that I was off limits.

Black in SE Asia

It seems that brothers get more mileage in Korea and Japan. I am happy about this thread because my good friends whom are White are trying to talk me into going to Thailand. I was balkish because I have never remembered hearing about a brother heading over there.

If you want SE Asian go for the ones that are in Canada or Australia or any abroad. I've never been a big fan of Filipino girls but they are down for the brothers here in Toronto.

Black in SE Asia

Quote: (02-08-2013 04:11 AM)Loveless Wrote:  

If I had to rank them in terms of how many times I saw a black guy with a local girl it would be:

1. Malaysia
2. Singapore
3. Taiwan (not sure if this counts as SEA)
4. Thailand
5. Vietnam
6. Indo/Philippines

No scientific data here, just what I have observed over the past year or so.

Maybe your Malaysia experience was far different from mine, but in the ~18 months I spent there, I bet I had to explain 200 times the difference between African-Americans and Africans-- and the latter get a ton of hate because there's a lot of drug smuggling from some African countries >> Thailand >> Malaysia. (Or so the Malaysian media has its people believe.)

Friends and co-workers would straight up say they were relieved to meet me and see that I was a "pure"--ie, white--American, and not an "African."

I'd say Singapore is the clear choice, if you can afford it. Tons of expats, plus lots of highly-educated and well-traveled locals whose prejudices have been relaxed by some meaningful exposure to the wider world.

From the three you mentioned, gotta be the Phils. Getting laid as a white Westerner is like a joke there. There's no way black men would be totally shut out.

Black in SE Asia

CJ_W, are you going after the local women or tourists? As many posters have suggested, you may have a hard time gaming the locals but I can't say for sure as I"m not black, although I did meet a fellow RVF member who is African-American and he did hook up with some locals in Thailand so I wouldn't be too discouraged by the advice on this thread.

However, if you are into gaming tourist women, then I think that this place is a gold mine for AA guys. I trained with an Aussi guy who told me that when he was in Loa, he hung out with an AA guy who worked at a hostel and was provided room and board, his job was to hit up the streets during the day and hand out flyers to travellers and get them to go to his bar, the guy racked up a ton of notched by doing this.

When I was in Pattaya, I went to a bar on Walking Street (Joey's) and the promoter there was an AA guy who had a mic and would sing along to RnB and rap songs and get tourists to come into the bar, he had a lot of Thai and tourist women all over him.

Don't underestimate the cool factor of AA guys all over the world, its well established that girls from places like Germany and Sweden are DTF black American guys and in places like Thailand they are there in abundance, where they are away from judgmental friends and family and can hook up with guys like you.

I say GO FOR IT!!!

Black in SE Asia

I had a black american friend from California who used to just clean up with the ladies in Manila. Here is how he did it...

1. Make sure everyone knows you are a Black guy from America and NOT africa. In their mind black americans are cool and black africans are criminals.

2. Find your niche. In Manila their will be a couple of club promotors who do all of the hip-hop nights at the various clubs. Find out who they are and become friends with them. Just follow the promoters from club to club. Obviously girls that go to hip-hop nights are much more likely into black guys.

3. If you in any way can play basketball or even look like you might be able to just tell people you do. Filipinos love basketball with a passion. If you are black and over 6'2" they will probably assume you play and ask you about it.

Having lived in Thailand, Philippines, and Indonesia I would say by far your best chance is in Manila Philippines.

Black in SE Asia

Hey all, thanks for all the insights, I was actually thinking between either going to Indonesia (the Indonesia position I was thinking of applying to includes lots of travel throughout SEA)for work or back to Japan, I do realize that getting flags from tourists is pretty easy (got a few flags from europeans/aussies/english while I was in Japan). I wanted to know about the Indonesian/SEA locals primarily.

I'll take sometime to think about all this and decide where I want to go. Although, I'm leaning towards Japan, between dressing nice in Japan, and dressing nice in SEA, doing it in Japan as a foreigner is just like a pusssy magnet haha.

Edit: Just thought of an Idea. . .no matter where I go I could possibly use CouchSurfing as a means to get Tourist flags :o that has the potential to be a goldmine.

Black in SE Asia

Its interesting this thread popped up as im planning to return to southeast asia in march. The only se asia countries ive been to are thailand and philippines. I didnt experience any obvious racism in either country, i actually felt more discriminated against in salvador brazil than in se.

In the phils all americans have an advantage, i did fine here. I was able to get single night lays with the minimalist of effort. I got laid the first night i arrived. For all the hype japan and germany recieve for blacks ive never heard of a brotha stepping off the plane and falling into some ass. Most of the black dudes that rave about those places are military or teachers who spend months to years in those countries. For a brotha stricly on vacay you can rack up more notches here.

Thailand is cool too, no probs in my dealings with locals and if you want tourist girls there are scandinavians and aussies all over some of the islands that will be more than happy to take care of a fly african american brotha.

Im curious about the other countries now. Is cambodia really a no go? Indonesia?

"I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not trying. Everyday hit every wave, like I'm Hawaiian"

Black in SE Asia

Quote: (02-08-2013 01:50 PM)azulsombra Wrote:  

Its interesting this thread popped up as im planning to return to southeast asia in march. The only se asia countries ive been to are thailand and philippines. I didnt experience any obvious racism in either country, i actually felt more discriminated against in salvador brazil than in se.

In the phils all americans have an advantage, i did fine here. I was able to get single night lays with the minimalist of effort. I got laid the first night i arrived.

Thailand is cool too, no probs in my dealings with locals and if you want tourist girls there are scandinavia all over some of the islands that will be more than happy to take care of a fly african american brotha.

Im curious about the other countries now. Is cambodia really a no go? Indonesia?

You were discriminated in Salvador, bahia? Salvador population is mostly black (negro ''nigerrimo''). Are you black? Care to say in what way you were discriminated?

Black in SE Asia

Quote: (02-08-2013 02:00 PM)pitt Wrote:  

Quote: (02-08-2013 01:50 PM)azulsombra Wrote:  

In the phils all americans have an advantage, i did fine here. I was able to get single night lays with the minimalist of effort. I got laid the first night i arrived.

Thailand is cool too, no probs in my dealings with locals and if you want tourist girls there are scandinavia all over some of the islands that will be more than happy to take care of a fly african american brotha.

You were discriminated in Salvador, bahia? Salvador population is mostly black (negro ''nigerrimo''). Are you black? Care to say in what way you were discriminated?

Yes, i was discriminated against in salvador. Yes i am black. I was discriminated against in the place i was staying at. I was the only black person where i stayed and was treated poorly. When i checked in i was assumed to be another black brazilian and not a tourist. Therefore i was viewed with suspicion and told to leave. Upon presenting my passport i was of course allowed to stay but it was painfully obvious while staying there that i was treated differently there due to my race.

Black on black discrimination and colorism is not unknown in DR, Brazil, Colombia,etc. But i dont want to derail this thread, lets focus on southeast asia.

"I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not trying. Everyday hit every wave, like I'm Hawaiian"

Black in SE Asia

Quote: (02-08-2013 02:00 PM)pitt Wrote:  

Remember, we gotta keep this on topic here.

Interesting points about the phils and Thailand. I'm guessing that they may be some cool places to visit, I don't know if I would live there (maybe when I get rich Ill get a nice place and live like a king out there)

But yeah, Indonesia, I'd like to hear more about that place from brothas who've been there as I've kinda got a general feeling of phil sand thai i.e. It's not a pussy paradise but you can still get some, and sometimes even luck up into some pussy right off the plane.

Black in SE Asia

Wow.
This thread is going way better than I expected.

Not sure if it counts as SEAsia but in HK, I definitely found that I had much better luck with the

European and Anglosphere tourists and workers then the
European-HongKongese then the
Filipinos in HongKong then the
Chinese-HongKongese

In that order.

Black in SE Asia

Quote: (02-09-2013 02:46 AM)TheMan Wrote:  

Wow.

Not sure if it counts as SEAsia but in HK, I definitely found that I had much better luck with the

Chinese-HongKongese

In that order.

Well I made sure this thread stays on track! haha.

I was thinking about going to Hong Kong at some point as I heard that the tourists that visit there are, pretty damn hot. What's your take on the tourists there?

Actually, can you elaborate more on HK?

I count HK as SEA btw.

Black in SE Asia

Quote: (02-10-2013 03:18 PM)CJ_W Wrote:  

Wow.

Chinese-HongKongese

In that order.

I was thinking about going to Hong Kong at some point as I heard that the tourists that visit there are, pretty damn hot. What's your take on the tourists there?

I count HK as SEA btw.

I befriended some black guys from the US Army on a week long trip in HK. They were killing it with the English girls but didn't seem too interested in the Chinese. There are plenty of English expats/tourists to keep you interested if thats what youre after. However I think only 1 in 5 of them is decent when you go out in areas like Lan Kwai Fong.

Black in SE Asia

Quote: (02-10-2013 10:42 PM)Loveless Wrote:  

Quote: (02-10-2013 03:18 PM)CJ_W Wrote:  

Wow.

Chinese-HongKongese

In that order.

I count HK as SEA btw.

I befriended some black guys from the US Army on a week long trip in HK. They were killing it with the English girls but didn't seem too interested in the Chinese. There are plenty of English expats/tourists to keep you interested if thats what youre after. However I think only 1 in 5 of them is decent when you go out in areas like Lan Kwai Fong.

Damn, 1 in 5 . . .wow haha. well it seems like HK is a cool place to at least visit, same with SEA, I probably would just do that. . .visit every once in a while.

Black in SE Asia

Quote: (02-08-2013 05:25 AM)speakeasy Wrote:  

After spending nearly 11 months in Thailand, I don't believe this will happen very often. Thai people are very vocal about their dislike of blacks and Arabs. If I were black, I wouldn't come to Thailand looking to hook up with Thai chicks.