rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

An interesting article on the concept of "creeps".

Saw this the other day, thought RVF might take interest.

The author is a black guy with a skin condition that makes his face rather unsettling to look at... He goes on to talk about how society, women in particular, have labeled him as a "creep", and how the word is an overwhelmingly masculine label used primarily to describe anyone who directly or indirectly causes even mild discomfort in women.
...Sounds about right.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/201...f-a-creep/

Women who use the word creepy to describe things like:

Satellite images of hurricane sandy
Three year olds who are playing around acting like players
and anything other than something along the lines of Freddy Kruegar

are idiots and are ruining our culture and language.

Quote: (01-23-2013 06:57 PM)Ziltoid Wrote:  

He goes on to talk about how society, women in particular, have labeled him as a "creep", and how the word is an overwhelmingly masculine label used primarily to describe anyone who directly or indirectly causes even mild discomfort in women.

I've been saying that around the forum for years. That's exactly what it means.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Nice find and observation.

In women's studies courses they teach that there are lots of words to degrade women but few to degrade men. This is one. Wimp is another. There are tons of others, but creep now leads the pack.

Beyond that, creep has come into fashion since women have "owned" the words nerd and geek. If you're old enough to remember the grunge era, you'll remember when those words were the kiss of social death. They meant you were...Urkel!!

I'm going to start calling girls creepy to see the reaction.

Quote: (01-23-2013 07:25 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

I've done this, and they don't like it.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

The female perspective here is really not difficult to quantify.

If it feels good, then it is right, and will be rationalized as such regardless of the circumstances involved.

If it does not feel good or creates any degree of discomfort or confusion, then the term "creepy" is applied. The word is simply a catchall for anything that doesn't feel "right".

This can range from blatantly dangerous behavior (i.e. actual stalking), to behavior that merely seems out of line with social norms she's been conditioned to expect (ex: she's from a certain social circle/group at school, guy from foreign social group shows up and gets too close = "creeper"), to behavior that she simply doesn't understand and feels unfamiliar with.

The word has little meaning because it doesn't take much to earn the label. The term is most often applied to guys who aren't objectively problematic, but for one reason or another don't fit into her worldview or make her feel right. Simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time can earn you the title of "creeper", and two different guys can engage in precisely the same behavior and not receive the same label.

Use of the term really shouldn't be taken seriously.

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time.

I might start a thread on this but this is one of my ideas I was going to use on women. Act like a woman to them. By that I mean call them creepy and all kinds of words that women use to describe men. I think that would be a great way to insult a bitch. Call her a creep, then do a backturn the way cunts do it at the bar. That would get her heated up.

The article is spot on. Did a google image search for the author and got this

[Image: Photo_31.jpg]

It doesn't look that bad to me and he's a decent looking guy. I know a kid with a bad case of psoriasis and he's had a loyal girlfriend for 4 years. I know a kid with eczema and sometimes gets shingles on his face and he has a cute girlfriend. While the personal stories did make the story more emotional, I think the guy is playing it up a bit.

Quote: (01-23-2013 07:34 PM)jammer Wrote:  

I might start a thread on this but this is one of my ideas I was going to use on women. Act like a woman to them. By that I mean call them creepy and all kinds of words that women use to describe men. I think that would be a great way to insult a bitch. Call her a creep, then do a backturn the way cunts do it at the bar. That would get her heated up.

Women won't usually outright say it to some guys face. They will label you one though.

If you want to sink to that level then get passive aggressive. Lot's of back handed compliments about their hair, clothes, shoes or hint they are a skank.

" I'M NOT A CHRONIC CUNT LICKER "

Canada, where the women wear pants and the men wear skinny jeans

Quote: (01-23-2013 07:31 PM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

I've done this, and they don't like it.

The reaction I'm hoping for. Hamster nuking especially when it's subtle. Plant the bomb, walk away, let them process, then see the mini-mushroom cloud loom.

Quote: (01-23-2013 07:59 PM)BIGINJAPAN Wrote:  

Women won't usually outright say it to some guys face. They will label you one though.

If you want to sink to that level then get passive aggressive. Lot's of back handed compliments about their hair, clothes, shoes or hint they are a skank.

Already heard this since being back home. Guy does nothing unusual in line, but as soon as he leaves the "creepy" term gets used. Won't be able to let it go from now on.

"Creeper" is popular with younger girls.

Ok, so how does an upstanding man deflect/shed the term 'creepy' once it has been applied to him?

i was reading up on culture in Chiang Mai when i ran across this article filled with Hamsterism:

Quote:Quote:

Chiang Mai is FILLED with creepy old men.
All over Chiang Mai — from visiting the temples to strolling the markets to sitting in restaurants — you see older Western men with young Thai women. While I don’t mind these relationships in general, I DO mind them when the girls are young enough to be their grandchildren and the men speak to them like they’re babies.

Is seeing these relationships just a part of visiting Thailand? Absolutely. You see this throughout the country — but after traveling extensively through Thailand, I can say without a doubt that it’s more prevalent in Chiang Mai than anywhere else I’ve been, including Bangkok.

At least in Bangkok it’s mostly confined to certain neighborhoods. In Chiang Mai, it’s everywhere — not just its designated neighborhood — and the girls seem to be far younger. It was Chiang Mai that inspired me to write my post, Young Thai Women and the Western Men Who Love Them.

The strange thing? Though I’ve talked about this with some of my Chiang Mai friends (some of these men are their neighbors), I haven’t read one blog post that references this facet of the city.

http://www.adventurouskate.com/chiang-ma...-everyone/

[Image: wtf.jpg]

the reason why these men go to thailand is to get away from hamsters like this chick

[Image: hamster2.gif]

[Image: womanhamster.gif]

"How dare these CREEPS want to have sex with women who are younger, sexier, and infinitely more feminine than me? [Image: huh.gif]"

Willing to bet she does indeed mind those relationships in general.

I know dudes way uglier than this guy who can pull girls. His inner state of mind is his biggest roadblock. Though, at 39 I'm not sure how much changing he can really do about it. Things like people sitting by him and moving away are likely more about the way he is perceiving it, there could be a number of reasons why someone decides to change seats. Him comparing himself to Bukowski is a bit accurate, but he seems to hate his isolation while Bukowski needed it to function.

Cr33pin since 1980

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Not once in the article did he even entertain the possibility that people are creeped out by blacks.

I don't intend to be a race troll here. I just found it interesting that he attributes it solely to his skin condition.

You actually brought to the surface a way the whole "creep" meme could be used to slap back feminists: by redefining it as both racist and xenophobic.

I don't mean this gratuitously either. I genuinely believe there is bigotry behind the constant use of this word. Now it's a matter of making sure everyone else knows that.

It's telling that feminists pretend to be pro-gay, but when they get in an argument with a man, what's their first insult? "You're gay." So that must mean they think that's a negative thing. Similarly, feminists demand men accept all types of women and "genders" but the second someone doesn't agree with them it's "creep." More often than not, the "creeps" are someone who is culturally different than them.

We need to change the creep meme and use it to expose feminists for the bigots they really are.

Quote: (01-28-2013 09:14 PM)EisenBarde Wrote:  

Not once in the article did he even entertain the possibility that people are creeped out by blacks.

I don't intend to be a race troll here. I just found it interesting that he attributes it solely to his skin condition.

Thanks for explaining better than I did, broken arrows.

It's effectively a code word for everything they want to discriminate against without being upfront about their discrimination. And personally, I'd rather listen to klan members rant all day instead of the mental gymnastics people go through to avoid being seen as they really are. At least the klansmen are honest with themselves.

I'd bet race isn't a cause, but a possible amplifier of the effect. Ugly and alien registers a more negative reaction than just plain ugly or alien by itself.

Invoking race dulls the applicability of his message. Because then it becomes 'oh people aren't hating on him because he has a nasty skin condition, but it's because he's black. So this isn't anything new, this is just your run-of-the-mill racism. Nothing to see here, there is no 'creepy' problem after all! We really just need to root out racism.'

Good article.

As far as upfront, I had a girl walk up to me late at the bar last week with her entourage of girlfriends and tell me flat out that I'm a creep, that my clothes were creepy and that I'm in general just too creepy to be there. Now, granted, I was in a business trenchcoat with work clothes underneath hanging out on a weeknight at a college bar in DC. And I stuck out like a sore thumb. But I've never had a girl blatantly come at me out of nowhere to tell me her opinion like that and add in multiple uses of creepy. I calmly shot her down with a dagger of my own with a smirk, but that was a little extreme and I've never witnessed it before.

Quote: (01-28-2013 07:59 PM)GameTheory Wrote:  

i was reading up on culture in Chiang Mai when i ran across this article filled with Hamsterism:

Quote:Quote:

Chiang Mai is FILLED with creepy old men.
All over Chiang Mai — from visiting the temples to strolling the markets to sitting in restaurants — you see older Western men with young Thai women. While I don’t mind these relationships in general, I DO mind them when the girls are young enough to be their grandchildren and the men speak to them like they’re babies.

Is seeing these relationships just a part of visiting Thailand? Absolutely. You see this throughout the country — but after traveling extensively through Thailand, I can say without a doubt that it’s more prevalent in Chiang Mai than anywhere else I’ve been, including Bangkok.

At least in Bangkok it’s mostly confined to certain neighborhoods. In Chiang Mai, it’s everywhere — not just its designated neighborhood — and the girls seem to be far younger. It was Chiang Mai that inspired me to write my post, Young Thai Women and the Western Men Who Love Them.

The strange thing? Though I’ve talked about this with some of my Chiang Mai friends (some of these men are their neighbors), I haven’t read one blog post that references this facet of the city.

Seems painfully obvious from her article that she never got off the tourist track - which in Chiang Mai means beyond the old center.

For one, she talks about the "amazing street food" at Chiang Mai gate and describes it as the best she's had in the world. LMFAO It's painfully obvious to most of us that in the tourist areas the street food is lacking in quality and served to suit more of a foreign taste. Don't even get me started that Chiang Mai gate is about a five minute walk away from where every farang who arrives gets dropped off - shows how much exploring she did.

I know the area she's referring to and while it caters to more Thais than the rest of the Center, it's nothing to write home about if you've done any proper fooding in Thailand. One measly trip to a market outside of the city center would have introduced her to a whole other adventure in street eats - not to mention how the quality of sit-down restaurants goes up exponentially the further you drive into the city.

Then she calls the place boring...It's not Bangkok, but it seems clear she didn't hit any of the big discos and nice restaurants up. My guess is she spent her time at Zoe in Yellow, Spicy, and Lucky Bar like every other backpacker.

Finally, in her other article that explores this "creepiness" further, she talks about going to Number One Bar, which is posted up almost right on Loi Kroh Road, the premiere area for prostitutes who serve foreigners in that city. What does she expect?

Immerse yourself in the red light district and then complain about how that entire city is characteristic of old sexpats and young thai women...Yeah, that makes sense.

I personally found that old men in Chiang Mai tended to be with older women, or at least 30+. You saw the old guys with teenish-looking girls, but they were a reative rarity beyond the whore bars she was hanging out in.

On another note, I've observed that it takes 3 weeks to a month for the appeal of Chiang Mai to really start making sense. This girl seems to have spent a week or two there and yet feels like she has an educated opinion to offer on the place. Interesting.

The plus side is that when everyone else is so lazy about travel, including the "travel writers," it makes it that much easier for the rest of us to find sweet spots off the beaten track.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

"Awkward" is a fun one to use against them too, although the comically inexact over-use of the word in recent years is such a pet peeve of mine that I hate saying it, even for devious purposes. Still it's cute to tell them with a very serious, lecturing voice that they need to stop being so "awkward" and then just sit back and watch them squirm in confusion as their own tactic is used against them.

Quote: (01-28-2013 11:03 PM)Chevalier De Seingalt Wrote:  

"Awkward" is a fun one to use against them too, although the comically inexact over-use of the word in recent years is such a pet peeve of mine that I hate saying it, even for devious purposes. Still it's cute to tell them with a very serious, lecturing voice that they need to stop being so "awkward" and then just sit back and watch them squirm in confusion as their own tactic is used against them.

Put a new spin on it. Look at them real serious for a minute, as if taking it all in, and then flatly say, "I honestly think you're one of the most awkward people I've ever met in my life." With no anger or emotion.

Guaranteed she'll roll that around in her head for the rest of her life.

Jedi mind tricks, Man.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling