rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Roosh's Speaking Style - Good for pickup?

I've been watching Roosh's videos and he has a speaking style where he pronounces every word clearly and distinctly. Many people in the US including myself often mumble and blend words together.

I'm thinking that this would be a good way of speaking to adopt when approaching women especially in loud bars. I've been practicing the last few days by reading a book and speaking into a voice recorder. I found it kind of hard to do at first but I'm getting better at it. This is they way I want to speak in loud bars/nightclubs.

Does anyone on this forum have any thoughts on this topic?

It works. I think Roosh thinks about every word before he says it. It comes off sounding more confident. Start choosing your words deliberately and you'll see results.

I've got the dick so I make the rules.
-Project Pat

Pronunciation isn't a speaking style, it's just being articulate. Girls will react better to it because it shows a higher status.

From the videos I've seen of Roosh, he's very calm and laid back which is his style. At the end of the day, I don't think pronouncing words is going to affect things that much.

I would emphasise certain words though. With girls I emphasise words like "fuck", "pussy", "hard", etc etc by saying it more powerfully and more drawn out. That gets a reaction more than pronouncing my Ts.

Quote: (01-19-2013 04:21 PM)MattC Wrote:  

it's just being articulate.

Yeah, maybe that's it. I listened to myself in the voice recorder and I'm not articulate at all. More evidence that I'm not articulate is that people often ask me to repeat myself.

I'm going to practice with my voice recorder until being articulate becomes natural.

Really basic sales training will tell you that you should stand up/sit up straight and puff your chest out when you talk as well. It makes your voice more powerful.

How articulate you are, your voice, the way you speak, your tonality, delivery, etc. are very important. For example a man who speaks clearly, has a strong voice, is able to use tonality and inflection to be humorous, flirtatious, etc., compared to a guy who speaks too fast, mutters, stutters, mumbles, has a shaky voice. It boils down to confident vs. unconfident. A lot of guys say fake it till you make it, and while I wouldn't necessarily disagree, your confidence or (lack there of) manifests in your body language, voice, and general mannerisms.

I'm sure many of you have heard the saying, "it's not what you say, but how you say it". Sometimes I will open with a good line, but it doesn't deliver well, my voice is shaky, I don't speak clearly, etc., other times I will open with something basic or lame, but I speak clearly and confident, with "smooth and polished" delivery. Guess which opener works better?

I have this horrible habit of fast yet lazy speech where I don't articulate. As a result of the speech people have perceived me as nervous when in fact I have been relaxed. When I read a passage from a book into my voice recorder I can see exactly why people perceive me this way.

I practiced all day speaking articulately and it sounds much better when I talk into my voice recorder now. I'm sure there is a good chance that I will slip back into my old habits after a drink or two.

Tonight I am going to do several short/simple/direct approaches while putting most of my focus on articulating my words. I'll report back if the approaches go any differently than they normally do.

Just being confident in what your saying is more important than just trying to be overly conscious of articulating every word.

I live in DC now but I'm from Houston TX and girls love to hear my accent when I speak and Im certainly not naturally the most articulate person when I speak because of my "southern drawl". But I'm confident in what I'm saying and it works for me.

I remember my ex telling me that simply saying "baby, u ain't gone fix me nothing to eat?" sounded so sexy to her, for whatever reason.

Just be confident and as articulate as you can be without sounding Iike your trying.

I invented Roosh's speaking style.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Roosh does have a very distinct speaking style.

I like it. It's funny and dead pan too.

It is very different than mine. His is very monotone (I have noticed that many people in Sciences, Accounting, Engineering etc speak in this manner).

I speak in a very animated, dynamic manner; I say some words louder than others in the same sentence.

I basically write how I speak. I capitalize words when I write and those are the words I speak louder.

I feel like you can control people when you vary your tone and pitch, which is the one thing I think you are at a disadvantage when you speak mono-tone.

Like G, I speak faster, but it really depends on context and audience. Generally speaking, though, I'm lively, emotive, and loud. I'm more deliberative and slow when I'm speaking about serious topics (usually in a professional or unfamiliar context), faster and animated when I'm being social or I'm on a roll.

Roosh does something else that good speakers do: he uses minimal "ummms," "you-knows," "likes," and other space-fillers, using pauses or slower speech instead. He slips into them sometimes, which is normal, but they're few and far between.

This is something I learned in adolescence from plain-spoken, but intelligent, people. You don't need flourish or big words to be effective. In fact, they usually have the opposite effect.

Listen for space-filler particles in this video.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Quote: (01-19-2013 09:47 PM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

Like G, I speak faster, but it really depends on context and audience. Generally speaking, though, I'm lively, emotive, and loud. I'm more deliberative and slow when I'm speaking about serious topics (usually in a professional or unfamiliar context), faster and animated when I'm being social or I'm on a roll.

Roosh does something else that good speakers do: he uses minimal "ummms," "you-knows," "likes," and other space-fillers, using pauses or slower speech instead. He slips into them sometimes, which is normal, but they're few and far between.

This is something I learned in adolescence from plain-spoken, but intelligent, people. You don't need flourish or big words to be effective. In fact, they usually have the opposite effect.

This is another aspect of pickup that comes down to intention. Floundering around and filling up the silence with nonsense makes you look scared. The opposite is to speak with deliberation.

I think a lot of people don't even listen to themselves as they talk. They just talk because they are nervous.

Can you hear your voice when you are talking to a girl, or are you so focused on how hot she isthat you can't hear yourself? If you can't hear yourself, than she probably can't hear the meaning in what you are saying.

If you pay attention to yourself, and aim the focus spotlight at you, then she will pay attention to you. If you aim it at her, she won't see you.

That video cracks me up [Image: lol.gif]

"If you can't call that woman ugly and get a high-five from that the culture has completely lost"

I think the two extremes probably work the best...look at comedians, for example. Look at guys like Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock. Brilliant comedians overall but they have very unique voices and deliveries. They are very animated and annunciate certain words dramatically which adds to the delivery and humor. Many successful comedians would fall into this category but certain guys pull it off better than others. Then you have the "deadpan" comedians...guys like Mitch Hedberg or Zach Galifiniakis. This would be the group Roosh falls into. Less common but can be equally effective.

Same problem here. I should speak out loud and clearly, but social inhibition is still a problem. Desensitizing is a good thing (care less about what others might think).

I won't say Roosh is a role model here in speaking, but other non-verbal behaviour also is important. I noticed I started to imitate (unconsciously) some of his smirks as well as the pauses to just think before I speak.

"Fart, and if you must, fart often. But always fart without apology. Fart for freedom, fart for liberty, and fart proudly" (Ben Franklin)

Last night I focused on being more articulate as I approached and talked to women. The most profound thing I noticed is that there were fewer outright rejections when I approached. Most of the women who were not attracted chose to chat with me for a little while and ended the conversations politely.

Once I was in a conversation my normal bad habits of mumbling and talking fast would kick in. This has nothing to do with nervousness it is just the way I've naturally spoken my entire life. I'm going to continue practicing being more articulate into my voice recorder until it becomes the natural way I speak.

I like how he nodded his head when he talked about the girl who fell down the ugly tree and (nod head) hit (nod head) every (nod head) branch (nod head) on the way down.

Speaking slowly and with pauses is a very effective way of appearing confident and socially dominant.

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

I have only watched a couple Roosh videos, but the way Roosh pronounces "can-Not" and such, are exactly how I pronounce them. I emphasize certain syllables, but I would say I do it far more in most words than he does. I always get accused of having an accent which works in my favor with most women, but to be fair I am of middle eastern background despite my limited knowledge of arabic.

In other words I think it's always of benefit for most men to speak far slower and direct to people. I know a lot of women have randomly commented how they like the way I "talk." Which is an odd compliment, but I assume that's what they're referring to.

A humble gentleman's blog about pussy, cigars, and game.

LATEST POST:
The Problem With Nightclubs

Also check out my blog for cigar discussion and reviews.

While we are kind of on the subject, a lot of you could benefit from varying your sentence structure in writing, especially at the beginnings of sentences. Just start counting how many of your sentences start with "I...." and try to mix it up.

The key thing about speaking slowly is it gives you time to think of what to say next, so the filler words are not required.

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

We're all going to make Roosh self conscious about his speech and he'll completely lose his Mojo [Image: smile.gif]

Quote: (01-19-2013 09:38 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Roosh does have a very distinct speaking style.

I like it. It's funny and dead pan too.

It is very different than mine. His is very monotone (I have noticed that many people in Sciences, Accounting, Engineering etc speak in this manner.)

I was thinking about this the other day when I was running some Roosh weasel game. Using a montone voice not only projects assured confidence, but it prevents your speech from revealing your intentions. If you say "I don't sleep with my pants on" in a completely deadpan manner, the girl is going to be less likely to call you out on your underlying intentions because she's not exactly sure if you have any. This is a game technique I picked up seemingly unconsiously, though I'm sure Roosh had something to do with it. Whenever I'm saying something a little risky to move the interaction along, I always go deadpan. Saying "Let's get out of here" with zero excitement, and in a slow, deliberate manner also illicits positive reactions. Girls can't say no to the monotone.

the monotone voice is what a lot of old 50's and 60's hollywood stars used as well.

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

I wonder, do Roosh or any of you, have intelligent conversations with girls 18-22 or do you just have cavemen conversations?

Quote: (01-19-2013 04:21 PM)MattC Wrote:  

I would emphasise certain words though. With girls I emphasise words like "fuck", "pussy", "hard", etc etc by saying it more powerfully and more drawn out. That gets a reaction more than pronouncing my Ts.

Matt that's really good stuff. I think I rush these "controversial" words and should be confident maintain eye contact, and calmly enunciate the words as you suggest. Eager to try in next appropriate situation.