rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Working on the Rigs: How to survive

Seems like between the Canadian and North Dakota Oil Fields treads there is quite a lot of people on this forum who are either already working in the oil business or will be in the near future. Thanks to Scotian and others plenty of info already exists on how to get settled in, find a job and start making some seriously good money in a short amount of time. So what then?

I started this tread to combine info and advice on how to cope with the rig lifestyle and make the most of your time on and off site.

I want to cover pickup, fitness, diet, travel etc. as it relates to those who work on the oil fields and the tactics and techniques different people might be applying to keep their game sharp.

I will start the ball rolling with my rig work out plan.

It uses equipment easy to carry in the back of a truck and takes around 40 minutes to do. It’s easy to bust out before or after work and with minimal space and gear needed. I have not included cardio or abs at the moment. Depending on what type of work you are doing it might not even be necessary. Personally speaking- I will have to do a cardio and abs workout so I will include some extra info on that as soon as I get time.

Rig work out:

Equipment needed:
Yoga Mat
Adjustable Bench (should be able to fold down flat)
Barbell, Dumbbells and Weights
Portable Pull up Bar (goes between doors)

Day 1:Chest/Biceps
4 sets of Incline Dumbbell Press, 8-10 reps
3 sets of Bench Press, 8-10 reps
3 sets of Incline Flies, 8-10 reps
3 sets of Chest Dips until failure (use 2 chairs with their backs to each other)
3 sets of Barbell Curls, 8-10 reps
3 sets of Preacher Curls, 8-10 reps, then drop the weight to half, and do another 8

Day 2:Tuesday: Legs/Calves
4 sets of Barbell Squats 8-10 reps
3 sets of Barbell Lunges 8-10 reps
3 sets of Front Squats 8-10 reps
3 sets of Calf Raises 8-10 Reps - (stand on an edge with weight and raise on to your toes then back down )

Day 3: Back
3 sets of Pull up bar 8-10 reps (shoulder width palms facing away from you)
4 sets of Deadlifts 8-10 reps
3 sets of Bent Over Rows 8-10 reps
3 sets of Dumbell Rows 8-10 reps
3 sets of Hyperextensions 8-10 reps
3 Sets of reverse flys to failure

Day 4: Shoulders/Triceps
4 sets of Shoulder Press, alternate with Barbell & Dumbell every week 8-10 reps
3 sets of Upright Rows supersetted with Lateral Raises 8-10 reps
3 sets of front raises 8-10 reps
3 sets of Lying Rear Delt Raises 8-10 reps
3 sets of Close-Grip Bench Press 8-10 reps
4 sets of Pullups 8-10 reps (change style each time: wide/close/palms facing towards/facing away)
3 sets of Skullcrushers 8-10 reps

Day 5: Rest Day

Day 6: Full Body
3 sets of Deadlifts 8-10 reps
3 sets of Squats 8-10 reps
3 sets of Clean and Jerk 8-10 reps
3 sets of Weighted Pull ups 8-10 reps

Day 7 Rest Day

Repeat

thanks for the info
i Heard some guys on rigs work crazy hours 12 to 14 hours per day , 21 days on a row

do you usually have energy to work out after working from 7 am to 7 pm ?
whats your diet and how many meals you eat per day on the rig , and whats your routine after your shift

i'm currently doing rushfit at home 6 days out of 7, 1hr or 2hrs per day, and not sure if i'm gonna continue while working on the rigs
so this workout seems like a good alternative coming from someone already went through the lifestyle change

do you usually have energy to work out after working from 7 am to 7 pm ?

I work out before work. It wakes me up in the morning and means no matter what happens I have done my gym for the day. At the moment I am not doing any cardio. When I start I will leave that till after work. But weights come first since I am a hard gainer and don't have to worry about fat gain as much.

What’s your diet and how many meals you eat per day on the rig, and what’s your routine after your shift

I am eating the best I have in a long time at the moment. Fresh fruit and veg, chicken, steak, nuts and seeds, almond milk etc. Plus zinc, apple vinegar cider, mulitvitiams, fish oil and all the other things recommended on here. Feel real good at the moment.

I am eating a lot right now to bulk up. About 5-6 meals a day and snacks in between. Shake in the morning too along with 5-6 eggs scrambled. Plus of course supper porridge!

i'm currently doing rushfit at home 6 days out of 7, 1hr or 2hrs per day, and not sure if i'm gonna continue while working on the rigs
so this workout seems like a good alternative coming from someone already went through the lifestyle change

You will get used to the longer shifts fast enough. I would be tired after 8 hours on my old job but can knock out a 14-16 hour shift here handy. Your body adapts to the pace quick enough. I would try keeping your exercise to around 45 minutes to make sure you actually have time to do it. Leave cardio till after work too.