rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Almaty Report

Almaty Report

Just want to give my quick thoughts after a few days in Almaty. Some background on me - South Asian ethnically, live in Moscow, good Russian. First time in Kazakhstan and central Asia.

The culture
For starters, race feels like less of an issue here - little of the hostility that I get from Russians in Moscow. Majority of the population is ethnic Kazakh, with a large amount of Ukranians and Russians. The people situation is the opposite of Moscow to some degree. In Moscow the central Asians are friendly and the Russians are cold. Other way around here - Russians are a bit nicer and the local Kazakh men are not the most welcoming. In addition to the two taxi scams mentioned below I got full on shoved by a Kazakh dude at a nye party because one girl he was macking on ditched him to talk to me. I got checked by police for documents (as well as my friend who looked Kazakh) and a security guard at a store pushed me because I accidentally almost entered a closed area. Attracting tourists is not high on their priority list. Plus getting the Kazakh visa isn't an organized process.

The idea that the Russians and Kazakhs live in harmony is a bit hyped. One Russian girl I met said she has zero Kazakh friends and zero interest in learning Kazakh and most of her friends think that way. I saw a few, but not many Russian-Kazakh couples. Islam is here but not very influential, though you hear the call to prayer in the morning.

I don't blame Kazakh dudes not being welcoming on race - which I've discussed extensively on Moscow and Russian threads where I think it is a legitimate issue. I think the dudes are a bit hostile to foreigners in general. In general, try to avoid discussig politics. The people here like their President, who has been in power since Kazakh independence.

In terms of language, it's still a small minority that speak English, so Russian is key. I wish I read up on some Kazakh vocabulary before coming. I have a feeling English is going to get much more popular in the coming years as Russian becomes more de emphasized and Kazakhstan tries to attract foreign investment.

The city and getting around
Logistics is important here. Poor hotel description led to getting a place a 20 minute ride from the center, not smart - this city is very spread out. Also, you are relying on unofficial taxis here, the majority of which seem to have absolutely no idea where anything is unless it is a major landmark. This was a huge pain - with my phone stolen and no access to a printer it was difficult to find many places. On arrival to the airport I'm trying to figure out where my hotel is when the security guard kicks me out into the swarm of taxi driver locusts. One guy says 1,000 tenge (about 8 dollars) to the hotel and I say ok but i idiotically change a 100$ bill with him looking. Halfway there some other dude jumps in the front seat of the cab and they say that it's actually 1,000 tenge per kilometer. Ended up getting screwed out of 80 bucks - not off to a good start. Then last night I get into a cab with my friend to get back to the hotel. It's dark - we tell the address and the guys take a "shortcut" to the hotel despite our protests. He puts on a hood and asks with hostility where we are from (in Russian) and demands advance payment. Me and my friend bail the cab when it stops at a red light. Man I hate these gypsy cabs.

Girls - I think the Kazakh women are quite attractive, and despite the resource boom, as a foreigner you are still unique. Outside of nightclubs, I did not see a single non local in the 3 days in the city. The girls are approachable, with the "do you speak English," working quite well. I was even opened on the street by a Kazakh girl looking to practice her English and help with a finding a restaraunt. Got lots of IOI from girls in the street (despite dressing for the cold rather than style). Girls smile and appreciate Western humor, and even so for the ethnic Russians. However, I think ONS may be difficult here - saw very few make outs in the club. My top prospect disappeared and the second prospect was the cause of the above mentioned shove.

Day game - perhaps the market or downtown area or on the metro? Tough in winter. I was asking around the downtown hotels about NYE parties and the reception girls were definitely friendly.

Night spots - be aware clubs are still pretty dead around midnight, and are still hopping at 4/430, so get your disco nap in. People are overall well dressed, so a blazer is definitely appropriate. Skinny tie would work too. There is face control but as long as you dress ok should be ok. The bouncr hostility is way lower Than Moscow level or even in a Russian regional city level.

chutkotka - middle to upper middle class, good price drinks, electronic and 80's disco music, friendly crowd and bartenders. Saw a few Indian dudes here for NYE party.

Esperanza - Hookers and ugglies. Lots of Turkish dudes. Got my phone pickpocketed here so its a shady crowd. Lots of blow outs. Expensive drinks. Weird middle eastern music in one of the rooms.

Copacabana - Latino club, supposed to be good but the night we tried it after paying cover we discover it's a private party that ended and the bar was closing. No refund. Bullshit. Anyway, I've had good luck in Moscow Latino spots so this would probably be similar. Worth a shot if you can work the scene.

Other places I heard were good - Mojo club and cosmopolitan.

Anyway, so in summary I think I could live here if I was able to get a grip on the transportation situation and managing the local dudes - would be less discouraged than in Moscow. It's alot cheaper than Russia. But don't come solely for the girls.

Central Asia experts, feel free to tell me if I'm wrong on any of these points.

Almaty Report

Nice sheet.

How are prices over there for accommodation,food,clubs etc? Also what are your plans,exploring more of the region or straight back to Moscow? I have said it before,I really think Central Asia is a vast untapped land that offers much more then many other played out FSU areas especially for non-whites. When I was in Bishkek I met Indian dudes and black Americans working on the Manas US air base who were dating local chicks,race seemed less of an issue there then in other FSU places. What you compromise in quality you make up for in ease of bang. I hear nothing but good things about Tashkent too. We still have the exotic factor that we have pretty much completely lost in places like Kiev,Kishinev,Moscow etc.

I'm totally with you on the issue of the men in the region not being very welcoming,they can be especially unfriendly when drunk,I had a few minor issues in clubs with them. The women however are a whole other story.

Almaty Report

props for this, im looking at visiting the central asian region soon and being of indian ethnicity this is very helpful

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

Almaty Report

Quote: (01-02-2013 11:12 AM)bojangles Wrote:  

props for this, im looking at visiting the central asian region soon and being of indian ethnicity this is very helpful

When you heading over? I'm considering having a few weeks over there in Feb.

Almaty Report

Ouch, gonna be cold. You'll be limiting yourself to night game much more in that case. Nothing wrong with that, just that there's the dude cockblocking problem and ONS resistance. But if it's between that and not going, go.

Almaty Report

Quote: (01-02-2013 12:20 PM)Vorkuta Wrote:  

Quote: (01-02-2013 11:12 AM)bojangles Wrote:  

When you heading over? I'm considering having a few weeks over there in Feb.

I'm thinking July/August mate

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

Almaty Report

I'm re-starting this thread as unfortunately there has been no updates from Kazakhstan in a few years, specifically Almaty (Astana doesn't interest me due to the extremely cold climate, expense and smaller size). I've heard from several co-workers of mine that Almaty is really an underrated place to visit, and i'm not talking just about the girls.

The visa regime is ultra liberal now for Americans and we can stay there for up to 15 days visa free. Are the any RooshV forum members on the ground or who have visited this place recently. I am very tempted to make a trip there around September - October area (PM if you're serious as well). In the meantime I found this hilarious, recent video about 2 Kyrgyz guys who go to Almaty and interview the locals and then hit the clubs. You need to know Russian to understand it but some of the questions they ask the local girls at the club, like "your place or my place?" are totally hilarious. Also, the talent is high from what I see...too bad that they don't film any day-game.

Almaty Report

I have a different kind of update, mostly for guys who like to attend MMA gyms all over the world (watch and listen):

Almaty Report

^For those who don't speak Russian, two most common things the guys shouted at each other in that video:

Чо, блять? (Сho, blyat) - what the fuck?
Пидарас (Pidaras) - faggot

Almaty Report

I just spent 10 days in Almaty (a truly lovely city) and here are my observations:

Pros:

- lots and lots of petite girls (usually a 7 or 6 and a few 8's thrown in) all over the city during the day
- about 50% look Asian (originally Chinese or Korean), 25% are white (Russian) and the rest looks very Kazakh (or Mongolian)
- daygame is easy to get numbers
- it's easy to strike a neutral conversation
- it's easy to set up a dates (or meet)
- locals say the sex ratio is very skewed here - I'm not sure its true but the sheet
- online game is rather easy too and girls don't flake much (Tinder)
- nightgame can be hit or miss - on (rare) good days it's almost too easy, usually it's like a US club but with cuter girls
- there isn't a lot of attitude during the day but it's there during the night
- while it is a good idea to speak Russian it is really not needed - there are enough hot girls who speak English unless you go and hang out around the universities
- everything is cheap and of decent quality (food, hotels etc)

Cons:

- there is no foreigner bonus and it's a modern, somewhat rich place and almost every girl over 23 has 'extensive US travel experience'
- it's almost impossible to be flirtatious (or to sexualizing a conversation) at these dates, it's like they all have invented Teflon
- the conversations are usually strikingly boring and it's like watching news when she talks
- even if you can make them comfortable nothing will happen besides hand holding on date one
- I tried different venues and tactics but on date one the most you can get is a kiss (that usually gives you an emotional reaction as if you just kicked her in the stomach)
- it's not easy to motivate yourself to go on date 2,3,4,5 after the usual 2 hour boring conversation, a major 'teflon attitude' and the sheer amount of OTHER hot girls you can see everywhere during the day
- you need to plan at least 3 dates, ideally 4-5 to seal the deal (of course there are exceptions)
- many dates are more like interviews/ interrogations and every bit of your story will be analyzed, the sheer amount of mistrust is just insane

So in total Almaty is a great place but you need a lot of time for the girls and a decent story. Fortunately it is easy to live here and learning some Russian is a good idea. If you have less time the best you can hope for is a 'hit' on a good day at the nightlife. The sheer time investment in a girl makes it impossible to have a lot of girls - you will have maybe two at the same time.

Almaty Report

I will be heading to Almaty on 6th of October let see what Kazkhazstan is made of

Almaty Report

Quote: (10-02-2016 05:56 AM)Brownsugae Wrote:  

I will be heading to Almaty on 6th of October let see what Kazkhazstan is made of

As darker your skin as better you should fare in Almaty. My buddy is black and the amount of attention he got in the clubs was off the charts. There would be guys and girls coming up to him to introduce themselves.

Almaty Report

Quote: (10-03-2016 11:54 AM)Mumbojumbo Wrote:  

Quote: (10-02-2016 05:56 AM)Brownsugae Wrote:  

As darker your skin as better you should fare in Almaty. My buddy is black and the amount of attention he got in the clubs was off the charts. There would be guys and girls coming up to him to introduce themselves.

Cool yes i am black and i will be going with my friend for salsa party so should be fun. Will be there for one week and i can't wait. Will let you all know about the details.