rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

[Gym] Skin Tearing In The Palm Of The Hand

Whenever I grab bars in the gym to exercise I always damage my skin on the bottom of the fingers in the palm and I'm looking for something that prevents that. I see guys who wear leather gloves but in my opinion they are just too expensive.

Is there anything that will help me solve this problem?

Quote: (12-20-2012 01:53 PM)Andreas Wrote:  

Whenever I grab bars in the gym to exercise I always damage my skin on the bottom of the fingers in the palm and I'm looking for something that prevents that. I see guys who wear leather gloves but in my opinion they are just too expensive.

Is there anything that will help me solve this problem?

Leather gloves.

Do you mean callouses? Wear them with pride.

Too expensive? Found some on Amazon....saw a pair for $1.55

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keyword...45pc92go_b

are you serious? grow up

I would try playing around with using a combination of athletic tape and chalk. Chalk is supposed to fill in the grooves in your finger and palm pads and prevent excess callus formation and tearing. Are you doing an extremely high volume training program? I rarely hear of problems like this outside of crossfit gyms due to their extremely high volume work. Keep in mind wearing gloves will probably decrease the weigh you can lift because it effectively increases the size of the bar. Wearing gloves should cause your deadlift to drop if your grip isn't disproportionately stronger than the rest of the muscles required for the lift.

Quote: (12-20-2012 02:10 PM)WesternCancer Wrote:  

Yes. I don't care about appearance but they hurt and the fingers as well now that I have started lifting heavier weights. I did a search on amazon and found those grip pads

http://www.amazon.com/Gym-Glove-Alternat...d_sim_sg_2

[Image: hand-pads.jpg]

Is it worth it or not?

Get some random foam rubber.Don't know where you live, but you should be able to easily get for free a few pieces, which are waste from pillows, matresses or some other shit.

What kind of weight are we talking?

In my head I'm imagining a guy who was never especially athletic or did hard manual labor. I would expect some skin tears to build callouses.

Tough hands are useful. But, u should be able to find leather workout gloves at any major chain gym store.

If you're talking about callouses, then they're part and parcel of lifting weights.

leather gloves but you shouldnt care if you get callouses, fucking hell, do some manual labour and you'll get them

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

Everyone gets callouses when lifting weights, it's just part of the bodybuilding process. No pain no gain, remember? While gloves do help with skin protection there are some setbacks. While wearing gloves the longer you workout the more you sweat and the more damp the gloves will become. Eventually the gloves will end up smelling really bad unless you wash them. Another thing with gloves is you can't lift your potential while wearing them. The heavier the weight the stronger your grip needs to be to prevent weight slipping and causing injury to yourself. What I recommend for treating callouses is immediately after working out wash your hands in warm water with soap for a few minutes and then using a pummice stone on the affected areas in order to smoothen the skin a bit.

Quote:Quote:

Skin Tearing In The Palm Of The Hand

Thought this was going to be another thread about Rooshers masturbating...

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Hands give warning signals when I do shrugs but screw it.

sand down callouses so they are smooth or don't have edges, thats what catches and tears/peels on a bar or edge. Old tree planting trick.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

I've got some gloves, but I never wear them because they affect your grip when playing with heavy weights. Keep at it, you'll form a nice tough callous soon enough.

Take a razor that you shave with and shave down the calluses so they won't rip off. If you let them get to big and you're doing a lot of pullups or cleans or KB swings they will rip.

Quote: (12-20-2012 09:25 PM)Fisto Wrote:  

Take a razor that you shave with and shave down the calluses so they won't rip off. If you let them get to big and you're doing a lot of pullups or cleans or KB swings they will rip.

How do you do it?

Quote: (12-20-2012 09:54 PM)Titan Wrote:  

Quote: (12-20-2012 09:25 PM)Fisto Wrote:  

How do you do it?

Palm facing up, take the razor and just gently cut into the top of whichever callus and continue on from there. Do it in the shower after they've had time to get soft. Sorry forgot about that key point earlier. It's easier than it sounds.

my callouses rip all the time, but never during reps or gym time. There's still enough underneath so that it's not sensitive tissue.

Agree with Alpha Hunter Zero. Gloves suck, I used that shit for a year and been a few months glove-free. No comparison. My hands are beautifully calloused and I've got 10x more grip. The only thing I'd consider at this point is chalk.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Don't use gloves or grip pads. Use chalk. By some on Amazon for a few bucks.

leather gloves but you shouldnt care if you get callouses, fucking hell, do some manual labour and you'll get them

I have been doing that (lifting unprocessed marble stones) only one month per summer time since I was 12. It wasn't enough though [Image: undecided.gif]

Everyone gets callouses when lifting weights, it's just part of the bodybuilding process. No pain no gain, remember? While gloves do help with skin protection there are some setbacks. While wearing gloves the longer you workout the more you sweat and the more damp the gloves will become. Eventually the gloves will end up smelling really bad unless you wash them. Another thing with gloves is you can't lift your potential while wearing them. The heavier the weight the stronger your grip needs to be to prevent weight slipping and causing injury to yourself. What I recommend for treating callouses is immediately after working out wash your hands in warm water with soap for a few minutes and then using a pummice stone on the affected areas in order to smoothen the skin a bit.

Thanks for the advice.

You may want to pick some of these up while you're at it:

[img]http://www.ruggli.com/bilder/inhalt/prod...tampon.jpg[/img]

[Image: smile.gif] just fucking with you. Good advice in this thread already.

such a silly post

Quote: (12-20-2012 02:32 PM)Andreas Wrote:  

Quote: (12-20-2012 02:10 PM)WesternCancer Wrote:  

Yes. I don't care about appearance but they hurt and the fingers as well now that I have started lifting heavier weights. I did a search on amazon and found those grip pads

Is it worth it or not?

If it is just callouses then I would suggest to keep going, your skin will harden. If it's still painful after 2+ weeks then sure get some gloves. Although having strong and 'battered' looking hands does seem to get a bit of positive attention ;-)

But the main point is, what happens if you forget/break your gloves and are already at the gym? Not being able to workout is a quick way to get annoyed.