rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Advice for skinny hardgainer

Hi guys

What advice can you give me to gain weight, i'm a skinny hardgainer in my early 30s and i'm having trouble gaining weight. is it good to eat high calories food like crazy?
what about whey protein? is it safe?
what type of gym routine should be better for people like me?

thanks

GOMAD
Gallon of milk a day
Google it

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Count calories. Drink protein shakes. GOMAD. eat mcdoubles until you get sick twice a day.

Whey protein is safe.

If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is.

Disable "Click here to Continue"

My Testosterone Adventure: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V

Quote:Quote:
if it happened to you it’s your fault, I got no sympathy and I don’t believe your version of events.

Do some searching on the forum, there are multiple threads on this. Bottom line is that you are probably not eating enough even though you think you are. You need to count the calories and make sure you're getting enough.

I have recently "discovered" some easy to eat high calorie and protein foods, these include:
cheese sticks
deli ham slices
greek yogurt
cottage cheese

What you should do is take pictures of the nutritional food label on foods you think you can eat, then sit down with an Excel spread sheet and figure out how much of what you need to get to achieve the required number of calories per day based on the label.

Compliance is the most important thing, and it is really hard.

No such thing as a hard gainer, all you have to do is load up the calories.

You go to the store and start mixing coconut oil (large amounts on a relative basis) into large protein shakes post work out. Eat heavy grains.

Take it from a guy who has gained ~40lbs over 5 years. Just eat heavy keep lifting and find high calorie protein shakes. If you exercise 1.5hrs a day, you'll be a monster in 2 years.

Quote: (12-13-2012 11:54 AM)Menace Wrote:  

Do some searching on the forum, there are multiple threads on this. Bottom line is that you are probably not eating enough even though you think you are. You need to count the calories and make sure you're getting enough.

I have recently "discovered" some easy to eat high calorie and protein foods, these include:
cheese sticks
deli ham slices
greek yogurt
cottage cheese

What you should do is take pictures of the nutritional food label on foods you think you can eat, then sit down with an Excel spread sheet and figure out how much of what you need to get to achieve the required number of calories per day based on the label.

Compliance is the most important thing, and it is really hard.

ok, using logic, what's the normal amount of calories per day that an adult should take?
assuming for example that is 2000 calories per day, should i eat double that number
to gain weight?

Don't eat McDonalds until you get sick. You can gain weight on healthier food. Lots of milk, eggs, carbs like potatoes, rice, fruit.

I'm a hardgainer too, for me focusing on carbs and sugar helped the most. When I was on a high fat - mod protein diet I melted away to nothing. Working out is a must too. A program that has helped me is 5x3x1, google it for details.

You should consume at least 3,500 if you are working out heavy. At times you can clear 4,000 if you're very lean like myself.

Count calories for a week to see how much you are really eating. Try to eat 3000calories a day, thats the most you should need, but everyone is different. Try it for a month and if you dont gain weight eat some more. Better to start off slow then to get fat.

See the eggs thread immediately.

Eggs & milk are the most abundant, affordable forms of natural protein.

Get a blender and every day drink a shake or two made of the following:

- 1 scoop whey protein
- 1 banana
- 1 cup uncooked oatmeal
- 4 spoonfuls of peanut butter
- 2 spoonfuls of ice cream
- a big (16 oz+) pour of whole milk

[size=8pt]"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”[/size] [size=7pt] - Romans 8:18[/size]

Quote: (12-13-2012 03:46 PM)scorpion Wrote:  

Get a blender and every day drink a shake or two made of the following:

- 1 scoop whey protein
- 1 banana
- 1 cup uncooked oatmeal
- 4 spoonfuls of peanut butter
- 2 spoonfuls of ice cream
- a big (16 oz+) pour of whole milk

You can also add olive oil. Very easy calories.

I used to make a shake

- 1 scoop protein - vanilla or strawberry
- 2 bananas
- 30 g peanut butter
- 30 ml olive oil
- 3 spoons of natural yoghurt
- 13 oz whole milk

Tasty and adds up to 900 kcal and you can down the whole thing in a few minutes. Imo liquid calories is the way to go forward if you struggle to eat enough. Or if you are lactose tolerant - go with GOMAD.

Squats
Deadlifts
Chicken
Eggs
Milk
Sleep
Repeat

I am in the same boat I was 6'2 167 when summer started and now I bilked to 183. I take whey shakes twice a day and creatine. An I make sure to eat as much as I can. Also I started with the whole milk. I had to take a break since it's pretty expensive and I am a student. But try some cytogainer Or muscle wmilk

Said she only fucked like 4 or 5 niggas so you know you gotta multiply by three

eat more. don't do gomad. It will make you stronger but you will gain more fat than muscle in my opinion. Starting strength is a program meant for high school ectomorphs that want to bulk up and play football. slow steady bulk is better. eat a little above maintenance.

Make
Your own weight gainer in a blender... 2 tbls of PB, 1/2 or 3/4 cup of oatmeal, 1-2 schools of whey, milk and some sort of oil

It will actually taste great

Good advice, just one added suggestion... switch out peanut butter for almond butter (if you can afford it).

Rio, one thing you said that I disagree with is chicken. Chicken isn't calorie dense like red meat so I'd say it's a poor choice when trying to gain weight... better for ripping up.

I used to think I was a 'hardgainer', but after making lean gains of 15lbs in 2012, I'm not sure there's any such thing. Just work hard, get plenty of protein and don't expect to become a tank overnight. You probably won't notice yourself getting much bigger as it's so gradual, but others will.

Staples of your diet should be natural peanutbutter, eggs, chicken, red meat, almonds/walnuts, fish, plenty of veg such as broccoli, onions,

Good carb sources are quinoa, sweet potatoes, oatmeal and brown rice.

I think there's a common misconception with weight gain that you should eat everything in sight. But if you do it intelligently it will be better and healthier for you.

I think milk can be good, like raw milk. But the overwhelming majority of it is pumped full of steroids and all sorts of hormones. Pumping a gallon of that stuff into your body really doesn't leave you feeling great. Believe me I've tried it. I think the gains you get for the side effects - feeling bloated and excessive fat gain don't compute.

Work out what your daily calorie intake should be and aim to overshoot it. Don't worry about isolation movements and focus on compounds - deadlift, chin, squat, bench and clean.

Then just rest...a lot!

Hey guys

What whey protein brands do you recommend?

Quote: (12-15-2012 02:22 PM)Scarecr0w Wrote:  

Hey guys

What whey protein brands do you recommend?

ANything from the cheapest one to ON, Dymatize, USN, GNC, Scivation,etc. It does not really matter, it's all the same. However, ON is certainly the best tasting one. Also, you can try Muscle Milk.

Before bulking, take a note of your body fat as well.

My basic plan for a hardgainer to gain weight would be to eat something like 3500 to 4000 calories per day, dirty or clean bulk (doesn't really matter if you're a serious ectomorph). I would only recommend reducing calories if you're getting significantly fatter despite lifting heavy.

I put on over two stone in a year by basically doing compound lifts 6 days a week and eating everything in sight, masses of junk food etc.

I had to go on a bit of a cutting diet after but I bulked up big time and quite enjoyed all that grub.[Image: banana.gif]

I got up to 245 pounds with this product. I was stronger and bigger than ever before. It is delicious as well. Just drink about two cups of milk out of a gallon, grab a funnel and mix 5 scoops in. I either drank the full gallon of milk with this mixed in once a day or I spread it out over two days along with the other necessary nutrition. Once I started cutting, it was awesome to see what I had worked for.

[Image: image_27980_450_white.jpg]

I asked some people the same thing and everyone said to stuff myself and hit the weights hard every other day. It's crazy how fast your body starts changing when you're a skinny guy.