rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Scriptwriting, Acting, or Directing

I have been in, directed, or written for a large amount of productions, from "old school" plays such as Antigone to more modern plays such as A raisin in the sun, even writing, directing and starring in my own production along with my own cast and support team.

I figured since the environment as well as the skills you develop are useful, from my training in Improvisation to Script Writing to Character Development, can be usable in a different setting whether game or professional (Law and Business were our main source of clients for the workshops that were run by a group I was in).

Some Skills from this that can be applicable for instance to game would be:
-Characters: One of the required tools when breaking down a script is to break down a character into his motivators, his tactics, his relationship with others, how he reacts to different stimulus, and overall just understanding people. Though these are fictional people, they can be based on real people. You look at these real people and learn to deconstruct essentially who they are so that you can replicate it.
-Flow: Both in a conversation and on stage, every scene has a flow to it. The chemistry between two actors can be visibly seen by the physical and vocal exchange. Everything is paced. You can change the pace of the "macking" scene by smiling, then delivering a cutting remark, letting her respond and just being silent, the tension builds, and then when you speak you release it, and things keep flowing. Then speed it back up again when you wrap your arm around her and bring her into you and lock eye contact. Alot of this may sound strange, but it's how I control everything when in conversation, I decide the energy level whether chill or excited, the topic, and how quickly I build a connection and how strong. All I do is let the girl be herself and manage my own reactions and actions which in turn manage hers.
-Body Language and Physicality: Body Language is a huge thing on stage. Proximity, the placement of arms and hands, and even the expressions and vocal tone of the actors and their reactions to each other tell everything. I can walk into almost any set and read the people who are there and learn alot. It's even funnier when a girl is standing uncomfortably or unpleasantly and I comment on it, and analyze it. Such as "Based off your ______ stance, you seem really _______, you should be more ______", usually I say something either deep or funny. Most of the time the latter. Since it's makes them chill out and realize Im a fun guy.
-Mindsets and Not Breaking: Like I said previously, an actor should be able to take on the mindset of another, and as a consequence of immersing yourself in that mindset, you naturally take on characteristics of that character for better or worse. If you're an actor that already has similiar experiences with the character, even if you are not the best, it would be easier for you to embody them because of your own experiences. I have friends in the theater community who took models of men who were good with women and applied that to themselves and worked on it until it was congruent. One thing that I've seen that benefits it's the ability of trained actors to not break when focused. One of the most positive things I took away from it was realizing the world really is a stage. Everything is just a game. I look at women and smile even when a woman is unkind to me (which rarely ever happens), because it's just funny. I realize that relatively it doesnt matter on a long enough timeline, so I just shrug off whatever's not what I want, and eventually everything falls into place, just by me maintaining a calm disposition, a strong masculine vibe, and just "playing the role" of an attractive man dealing with a girl that is trying to understand the opportunity that I offer. If she takes it, oh well. If not, great.

I want to write things for how to apply theater skills to game, as well as how to act, how to write type things. Is there any interest in anything like this?

I want to set a disclaimer that this has worked for me, in a variety of environments, and is not bullshit. Ive taught others and it's worked for them. But, like most things that are creative it's not for everybody as some will surely disagree with what I say, for whatever reason.

BQ

Sure man, I'd like to read it.

Yes, very interested in this!

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

Sounds like a pretty interesting read - bring it on!

I'm also curious about the viability of careers in theater, particularly in scriptwriting since I'm a writer; I'm sure other people here would be interested in a breakdown on acting or directing. A thread providing intel on this aspect of your experience and knowledge would be pretty fascinating as well.

By the way, not to criticize, but if you do break it down, you might consider busting your text up into paragraphs. It's a bit of a hassle on the eyes reading all that the way it's posted above, and I think it'd be more likely to get read properly. Just a tip.

Either way, bring on the knowledge. [Image: smile.gif]

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Yeah, really interested in this.

Always great to hear insights from someone who's put years into his craft and has the will and ability to articulate his understanding of the principles.

Im actually most interested in hearing your thoughts on pure acting and scriptwriting, but would also read the stuff as applied to game.

Thanks!

Lot's of interest from me too. I wrote a 30 page script for a class, was fun as hell.

I play some acoustic open mic sets in my area, doing mainly covers. I'm also writing songs, I think I might start playing shows as a part time gig.