rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Seasonal Tree Planting Jobs

A commenter at Danger & Play (I think) made a comment about this field, and it seemed to me the kind of thing some guys here would be interested in. I'm not in the field, and know nothing about it, but based on the link below, you can make up to $300/day.

However it appears to be: a) fairly physically demanding, and b) hard to get into b/c they give preference to old men of the forest.

This sounds a bit like the oil field jobs, but those probably have mor opportunity for higher wages than this one. Still, here you're in some forest rather than a barren wasteland, so maybe it will be more appealing to some guys.

http://www.celticreforestation.com/employees_jobs.htm

My roommate last year left to do this for the summer and worked hus BALLS off. It's super hard, physical work and all around sucks. Lots of hippies go and do it for some reason. I actually talked to a girl who wanted to do this and laughed because she would complain. That being said he did make good money. I think he planted 4000 or so trees in a day and made $500 you get paid by the tree and you're going to suck at going fast until you have.enough practice.

They have that in canada, one of my friends told me about the job and talked to some people that did it. He told me a few people can clear 30-50k in a summer doing it but they have a ton of experience and have been doing it for years. For a new guy it's basically a minimum wage job with a ton of hours and you can be expected to make about 2-3k a month. Your expenses should be covered, but you basically become a woodsman for 4 months in the summer doing 10hr+ days, living in a tent in northern ontario in the wilderness without modern amenities. Your pay is determined by the amount of trees you plant, kind of like commission without sales.

As an owner of a wholesale nursery I can tell you the average pay per day is well below 300 per day. It is closer to $120 per day for a 10 hour day. With woodland management companies you can make more per day because they accept higher levels of poorly planted trees. And the work is physically demanding. It is usually a spring job. April/may where I live and you have to deal with black flies and mosquitos.

Looks pretty awful

Quote: (12-03-2012 06:02 PM)johnw28 Wrote:  

As an owner of a wholesale nursery I can tell you the average pay per day is well below 300 per day. It is closer to $120 per day for a 10 hour day. With woodland management companies you can make more per day because they accept higher levels of poorly planted trees. And the work is physically demanding. It is usually a spring job. April/may where I live and you have to deal with black flies and mosquitos.

As the owner of a wholesale nursery are you aware of the massive christmas tree shortage in Hawaii this year?

Do you have the hookup on trees?

I can really make it worth your while if you did.

Aloha!

I worked in the Canadian tree planting business for 10 years and in the US for about 5. I'm going to guess that Johnw28 is talking US markets, which is accurate, immigrant labor plants for low wages.

In Canada you have to put in a season of work to get good and then make money. Its great if you are young and have no commitments and its a good social experiment in a lord of the flies/lawless living arrangement where your food, shelter, working conditions and wages are controlled by a 25-30 year old guy with a few years of bush work under his belt.

It is also an incredible controlled environment to see how women operate. You get paid based on how many trees you plant so everyone carries their own weight or wage. Hot sluts show up (we had one with fake tits that would plant in a bikini) their laziness is exposed right away and they sleep their way into favours. Middle of the road girls band together with other girls, have crazy cry fests and stop showering, ugly girls quit, go crazy, or work at a moderate pace. There are however some very skilled, level headed and attractive, girl next door type (think female athlete) types who make good money and work hard consistently. There are however maybe 2 of those per 60 people.

I recommend it if you want to challenge yourself in an experience where you make or break your own way. You literally get paid for your own blood, sweat and tears not powerpoints or kissing ass.

Edit: This work is also available in Australia and New Zealand

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

If you're going to do this, or any other job in the Canadian bush, I recommend the three following as essentials: insect repellent, bear spray and a big bag of weed (readily available in BC).

I have a few friends who've done it, from what they say it was an interesting experience and very hard work. None of them I know ever did more than one summer though.