rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Thedude makes oatmeal

Thedude makes oatmeal

Okay okay, I know what you're thinking. Oatmeal's not exactly a big deal or necessarily needs explaining or a recipe. This is more of an endorsement for a specific type of oatmeal and how to prepare it:

[Image: tumblr_me405e7vqQ1rkla7mo1_250.jpg]

McCann's steel cut Irish oats. They sell this at Trader Joes. As any of you guys have realized, following a high protein diet and taking supplements can sometimes lead to a case of the peanut butter shits. Oatmeal is a GREAT way to get a large dose of soluble and insoluble fiber to counteract this. It's also a great source of complex carbs to fuel your body from doing your squats. I'd consider it a necessity in the RVF-prescribed regimen (ACV, Zinc, baking soda, you know)

[Image: tumblr_me405e7vqQ1rkla7mo2_250.jpg]

This is for a single serving. These days I eat 1/2 C (measured out dry), or two servings every morning. Now, here's the thing: McCann's makes instant oats that cook up in about 5 minutes, but I still insist on using the steel cut. Nutritionally, by weight, they're exactly the same. Why do I use steel cut? They're fucking delicious, completely unlike any oatmeal you've ever had unless you've had the steel cut before. The steel cut take about 45 minutes to cook. But what's great is that you can cook up an entire WEEK'S worth at once, portion it out into little tupperware containers, and pop one open every day, add a little water, heat and serve. The oatmeal will obviously harden as it cools, but just heat it up slowly with a few tablespoons of water and it'll loosen up again.

To cook it initially I do a 1/4 ratio of oats to water by volume. So 1/2 C of oats gets 2 C of water. I cook it slowly for 45 minutes, VERY low heat, just a gentle simmer, and stir occasionally.

[Image: tumblr_me405e7vqQ1rkla7mo5_250.jpg]

If you're wondering about that cooktop, that's called an induction burner. The surface doesn't actually heat. It's an electromagnetic motor that reacts to the pot and heats the pot only. You could keep an ice cube next to the pot on the surface and it wouldn't melt. You can pick them up for 5-800 bucks if you're serious about cooking; they allow for EXTREMELY precise heat control and you can plug them into any outlet.

[Image: tumblr_me405e7vqQ1rkla7mo3_250.jpg]

The oatmeal should thicken and have the same consistency as risotto. Fluid, but tight.

[Image: tumblr_me405e7vqQ1rkla7mo4_250.jpg]

I like my oatmeal garnished with a little cultured butter, this one's from Vermont. You can sprinkle with cinnamon, brown sugar, honey, buttermilk, preserves, or any combination of the above, but I'm keeping away from sugar for the time being. I cook the oatmeal with a little pinch of sea salt to bring out the oat flavor. The texture of the steel cut oats vs. the instant stuff is absolutely incomparable and I encourage everyone to give it a shot.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Thedude makes oatmeal

My mom loves this shit. Keeps telling me to buy it.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Thedude makes oatmeal

How do you feel about cooking it in milk instead of water?

Team Nachos

Thedude makes oatmeal

That stuff will make you shit your brains out IME.

Thedude makes oatmeal

Makes me want to give oatmeal another go. I haven't had any since I was about 14, didn't particularly care for it then - but I'm open to trying again.

Quote: (02-16-2014 01:05 PM)jariel Wrote:  
Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.

Thedude makes oatmeal

Quote: (11-26-2012 02:42 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

I've got some pretty strong feelings about milk in general. I'm personally not a fan of the store bought homogenized milk. I don't drink milk, but if I did, I would go for raw milk from grassfed cows (can be hard to find depending on what state you're in). I can understand cooking oatmeal in milk for some added protein and richness, but I really enjoy the flavor of the oats by themselves.

I DO eat yogurt, and a pretty damn good amount of it. Everyone reacts to lactose differently depending on their ancestry; I personally don't handle it so well. Yogurt has drastically lower amounts of lactose since the culturing bacteria pre-digest the lactose.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Thedude makes oatmeal

I eat oatmeal every day. Do not think for a second however that quaker and the rest of that instant-mix crap is anything but a sugary snack.

Thedude makes oatmeal

Quote: (11-26-2012 02:57 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

I've got some pretty strong feelings about milk in general. I'm personally not a fan of the store bought homogenized milk. I don't drink milk, but if I did, I would go for raw milk from grassfed cows (can be hard to find depending on what state you're in). I can understand cooking oatmeal in milk for some added protein and richness, but I really enjoy the flavor of the oats by themselves.

I DO eat yogurt, and a pretty damn good amount of it. Everyone reacts to lactose differently depending on their ancestry; I personally don't handle it so well. Yogurt has drastically lower amounts of lactose since the culturing bacteria pre-digest the lactose.

My mother cooks farina in milk. It's so good. Comes out kinda like thick pudding after you let it cool somewhat.
She also makes macaroni and cheese by cooking the macaroni in milk instead of water.

Team Nachos

Thedude makes oatmeal

I thought this was gonna be a troll post.

Im bout to make some eggs

I am the cock carousel

Thedude makes oatmeal

I've been eating instant oatmeal for awhile now. I definitely notice increased energy during the day when I eat it versus when I don't. The trick is getting creative and adding different things like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, or even a cut up banana to it so things don't get monotonous. I also add a bit of milk to it as well.

Thedude makes oatmeal

Quote: (11-26-2012 03:09 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

Quote: (11-26-2012 02:57 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

My mother cooks farina in milk. It's so good. Comes out kinda like thick pudding after you let it cool somewhat.
She also makes macaroni and cheese by cooking the macaroni in milk instead of water.

My Grandmother makes a mean Farina. Good shit. Tons of iron.

Thedude makes oatmeal

In England we call that 'porridge'. My Nan used to make it with condensed milk and honey best thing I ever tasted.,

Thedude makes oatmeal

Quote: (11-26-2012 06:32 PM)lush1 Wrote:  

In England we call that 'porridge'. My Nan used to make it with condensed milk and honey best thing I ever tasted.,

Honey huh? That could be really good. I may have to steal that idea.

Thedude makes oatmeal

Why does everybody cook oats? I always get the whole grain ones and eat em with milk and fruits. No need to cook em IMO.

Thedude makes oatmeal

[Image: troll.gif] What you know about arroz con leche dude? Regular oatmeal tastes boring after eating so much of this. I think it's supposed to be a dessert but I've always had it as breakfast.

[Image: G4684059ac713b.jpg]

Thedude makes oatmeal

Quote: (11-26-2012 07:06 PM)houston Wrote:  

[Image: troll.gif] What you know about arroz con leche dude? Regular oatmeal tastes boring after eating so much of this. I think it's supposed to be a dessert but I've always had it as breakfast.

[Image: G4684059ac713b.jpg]

dropping data on healthy breakfasts, not carb bomb desserts [Image: biggrin.gif]

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Thedude makes oatmeal

Im seriously digging these recently culinary threads. I get hungry or motivated to cook everytime I read them. The lifestyle forum should have a seperate food forum with "RVF Members Culinary/Cuisine" as a sub forum. Thedude3737 and other members could make a ton of threads dedicated to that forum alone.

Thedude makes oatmeal

Quote: (11-26-2012 02:58 PM)Vicious Wrote:  

I eat oatmeal every day. Do not think for a second however that quaker and the rest of that instant-mix crap is anything but a sugary snack.

I buy the Quaker oats in the cardboard cylinder. They are not sweetened. I boil for about 5 minutes with water first, and then with milk for a few more minutes. I add cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar to my sweetness preference.

I'll have to try out thedude3737 method some time.

Thedude makes oatmeal

I was about to ask you if you were just fucking with us by writing about goddamn oatmeal, but then I saw all the detailed stuff, pics, and th most important, INDUCTION BURNER! I had no idea that such things existed.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Thedude makes oatmeal

Terrific stuff.

My "oatmeal" is as follows:

Homemade apple-sauce (I peel and core about 4-5 lbs of apples, boil it with cinammon, water, salt, lemon juice and some lemon peel and presto! All purpose apple sauce for many different meals).
Cocunut milk
Peanut butter
Nutmeg

It's friggin' amazing! Ideally, I'm not supposed to used peanut butter because it's made from legumes, but almond butter is too expensive, so I stick to peanut butter which plenty of other lifters have used.

A year from now you'll wish you started today

Thedude makes oatmeal

I wonder if Tim Ferriss can make oatmeal too.

He's probably hacked the perfect way to do it so you don't have to practice cooking like thedude.

[Image: troll.gif]

Thedude makes oatmeal

Quote: (11-27-2012 05:47 AM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  

I was about to ask you if you were just fucking with us by writing about goddamn oatmeal, but then I saw all the detailed stuff, pics, and th most important, INDUCTION BURNER! I had no idea that such things existed.

Yeah I'll get back to the "fancier" shit soon, still recovering from the holidays. I'll do one on salmon next.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Thedude makes oatmeal

Quote: (11-27-2012 05:34 AM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Quote: (11-26-2012 02:58 PM)Vicious Wrote:  

I buy the Quaker oats in the cardboard cylinder. They are not sweetened. I boil for about 5 minutes with water first, and then with milk for a few more minutes. I add cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar to my sweetness preference.

If you go for the plain ones and add your own flavor you're better off, it's the flavored ones that has a bunched of processed crap in them. Quaker oats in mix-packs have also been processed.

Thedude makes oatmeal

Cook this stuff in Coconut Milk with Cinnamon and thank me later.

I cook a mega vat of oats in a slow cooker and finish it off with flax meal, maple syrup or some good dense brown sugar. I toss in dates too which makes little flavor bombs and adds some texture.

I love the full and satisfying feeling oats gives you. You legit feel nourished after a big bowl of the stuff.

Thedude makes oatmeal

I've been cooking this for about five years. I don't do dairy anymore so it's usually rice milk instead.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards