rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What's the Rundown on NYC?

I was seriously contemplating the move to North Dakota, but given the unfortunate events in NYC, I am exploring the possibility of going there to work if any is available.

Telecom, cleanup, security, ect. If anyone up that way has any information on jobs, please feel free to drop the knowledge.

I would really rather avoid ND. Thanks gents in advance.

Ali,

While I cannot put you in touch with anyone in specific, I can tell you that common sense would have it that there will be massive needs for experienced infrastructure type of employees in the coming months. It seems that there is still a large push for volunteers to help with the immediacy of the situation still at hand, but reality will kick-in and a serious need to rebuild will be realized. If I hear anything I'll PM you.

Engineering and IT is big business in NYC and northern NJ.

What degrees or certs do you have?

Team Nachos

Man, the thing about NYC is no one will hire you unless you're already living there first.

that's what i experienced in the banking industry at least, coming out of grad school even after having served a couple internships in nyc: there is SUCH a huge surplus of talented people already INSIDE the city, that firms will hire them rather than even bother setting up an interview which takes too much time to schedule coordinate (LOL) with out-of-towners. it's very frustrating.

I'd set up some interviews and get a forwarding mailbox in NYC just use on the resume and application submission just to say that you LIVE in NYC even if you don't. Is it lying or is it playing the game? You decide.

You can move to a cheaper area like Queens and take the train to Manhattan.

Team Nachos

Things to keep in mind when moving to NYC for a job:

1. There are lots of people who are looking for work and have the right "qualifications."
2. It's expensive to live here unless you're in certain parts of Queens, Bronx, Staten, or lower Brooklyn. Not just rent, but food prices.
3. Most firms in the city will know if they have enough cash to hire more people after the new year. You may be on a wait list if you apply.
4. You can probably find work in your fields, but it'll most likely be shit hours.
5. Christmas time in NYC is amazing.

I'm primarily looking into the hurricane damage. A lot of us made out well during Katrina in Louisiana. I haven't seen the full extent of damage in NYC, but from what I heard the damage was real bad. I have experience in telecom infrastructure, electronics, mechanics, ect. This is a preemptive look, and I appreciate you guys on the ground up there looking out.

I can tell you the Rockaways and Broad Channel in Queens are destroyed. I'm seeing electric, power, and telecom trucks from as far as Canada down here helping out.

Staten is devastated. Houses literally pulled off their foundations and thrown around.

If you're looking for work due to Sandy, NYC is not the place. There is a huge blue collar presence that has been out of work due to the slowdown. I believe electricians have had a 3month furlow now for 2 years. Chances of getting work with an willing and plentiful workforce is quite low as far as I can tell.

However, Jersey is another story. The coast was hit hard and the state has been acting really stupid. The people that run the trains in Jersey messed up big time. I'm going to guess they'll need some people of your expertise. Also some communities are still without full power. I'd look into those places.

The East Coast did pretty well preparing for the hurricane and in the "busy" parts of NYC it doesn't even appear as if one happened. The coastal communities are the ones hit the hardest, but they're all blue collar and everyone knows someone whose a contractor or union worker. Also they're in a way used to this type of shit. My aunt's basement got flooded in the neighborhood of Howard Beach, next day an army of pump trucks was there.

I'd look into Jersey for the best prospects.

I agree, NYC is not the place. Almost all the electric/construction work is union.....

I read in the paper that the city might hire some temp clean up workers for like $12 an hour....check nyc.gov

[quote='HiFlo' pid='314805' dateline='1353893084']
Man, the thing about NYC is no one will hire you unless you're already living there first.

that's what i experienced in the banking industry at least, coming out of grad school even after having served a couple internships in nyc: there is SUCH a huge surplus of talented people already INSIDE the city, that firms will hire them rather than even bother setting up an interview which takes too much time to schedule coordinate (LOL) with out-of-towners. it's very frustrating.

I'd set up some interviews and get a forwarding mailbox in NYC just use on the resume and application submission just to say that you LIVE in NYC even if you don't. Is it lying or is it playing the game? You decide.
***Not exactly true. I know a guy who came to the US on a Work Visa and lives in NJ. He has always worked as an IT Analyst or Programmer (cant remember which) in Manhattan. Every year he works at a new place and holds a better position than his last job.

Quote: (11-27-2012 06:35 PM)Alpha Hunter Zero Wrote:  

***Not exactly true. I know a guy who came to the US on a Work Visa and lives in NJ. He has always worked as an IT Analyst or Programmer (cant remember which) in Manhattan. Every year he works at a new place and holds a better position than his last job.

NJ is commuting distance, which is fine.

OP is in domincan republic.

I'm returning from the DR soon to take a break, and want to bank some quick cash. I'll concentrate my efforts in Jersey. Hopefully the storm wiped out the Jersey Shore cast. I have a contact up there but he isn't answering his phone due to a family emergency.

I had a feeling about NYC with unions and all, but will keep my eye out all the same. Doubt a good ole Southern boy will be accepted up there to make big bucks.

Well, I live in Brooklyn and this is my utility rundown...

TV, Cable, Internet: Time warner
Electric: Con edison
Gas: National Grid

Long island has Cablevision for Tv, Cable, Internet
and LIPA for electric.

I would try ALL of those websites and see if they looking for temp help...

Power out!

shit if you miss it down south there's still a ton damage from hurricane isaac down here.

Quote: (11-27-2012 09:12 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

I had a feeling about NYC with unions and all, but will keep my eye out all the same. Doubt a good ole Southern boy will be accepted up there to make big bucks.

Unions have the construction trades on lock down in the tri-state area. Also, in order to make the big bucks you need to be licensed(it takes 7 years) Without a license and connections you are basically in the same boat as a Mexican day laborer. I have family in Far Rockaway and utilities aren't restoring service without you putting a license # on paper. You are going to have to work under somebody else license and they are going to use you and abuse you. You wont make more than 15 an hour. NJ is even more pro union than NY. There was a report on the news after Sandy of NJ turning away electrical crews from down South because they weren't unionized. Good luck.

Quote: (12-01-2012 08:57 AM)playa_with_a_passport Wrote:  

Quote: (11-27-2012 09:12 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

Unions have the construction trades on lock down in the tri-state area. Also, in order to make the big bucks you need to be licensed(it takes 7 years) Without a license and connections you are basically in the same boat as a Mexican day laborer. I have family in Far Rockaway and utilities aren't restoring service without you putting a license # on paper. You are going to have to work under somebody else license and they are going to use you and abuse you. You wont make more than 15 an hour. NJ is even more pro union than NY. There was a report on the news after Sandy of NJ turning away electrical crews from down South because they weren't unionized. Good luck.

Thanks Playa. I just called a friend in a Jersey Union and he's sending me some information. He promised I'd be able to come up and make some bank. Hopefully something will pan out. I really hate that union mentality though. But that topic is for another thread.

I live in NYC.

Bigger cities will always have more opportunities however it is also very expensive to live here.

Everything is expensive. So you will have to manage your money and search for the least expensive places to buy food if you want to hold on to the money you are making. Bars of course are pricey too.

There is so much pussy, here it's ridiculous.