rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

First NBA player to be fined for flopping

I always enjoyed watching a good academy awards caliber flopping performance by NBA players and when they announced this new rule awhile back I figured it would never get enforced but sure enough it actually did.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--source...31651.html

watch the ref at 1:12
HAHA

They need to implement this rule for soccer. It's the only thing I hate about the game.

10/14/15: The day I learned that convicted terrorists are treated with more human dignity than veterans.

If Vlade Divac were still in the league, he'd go bankrupt over this rule.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

I agree with teh skeeze and I think it's a Euro thing derived from football (soccer for Americans). I used to play basketball with some of the guys who played football as their number one sport and these guys would do double rolls from any sort of contact.
Once we played a uni that was chock block with Mediterranean cats (Turks, Greeks, Portuguese etc) and the amount of acting that went on during that game was enough to make Lawrence Olivia blush.

Vlade brought that shyt in for the lazy or unathletic athlete (an oxymoron) who could not move quickly enough or jump high enough to challenge a shot. A defensive bailout for the slothlike players.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

The rule has actually worked pretty well this season. Its was an epidemic last year for sure.

I thought the league over-complicated this. Management loves coming up with different ways to dig in players' pockets. The simple solution to this was for refs to simply stop rewarding it with calls. If they simply don't blow the whistle, and a defender's man simply goes by him and scores while he's on the floor, guys will stay on their feet and play defense. Only in cases where the offensive player obviously runs over, or obviously clears space with an elbow or forearm against the defender should the ref blow the whistle. This whole system of warnings, fines and suspensions is a bit much to me. When the league decided they wanted to address palming, they instructed the refs to stop letting it go. The main offenders, like Jordan and Iverson, started getting whistled for it. They adjusted. When the league decided guys were complaining about calls too much, they instructed the refs to start T'ing guys up. Most players chilled, and the refs backed off a little once their message was delivered.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

I wonder if Europeans' propensity for flopping extends off the field, like at night clubs or even the forum.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Part of the problem is that in college basketball flopping has become a major part of the game. Coach K teaches this shit at Duke, and I'm sure other programs spend time on teaching guys how to draw charging calls. College refs feel that every time a body hits the floor, they have to blow the whistle one way or the other. Most of these are just "play-ons," where there shouldn't be a call either way. They reward it, so coaches look for ways to get calls. To me, this is the worst part of the college game, and bit by bit it's bled into the NBA. As stated above, they simply need to stop calling it. If guys know there's no reward for laying down on the job, and that they'll be at a disadvantage by basically letting their man score, they'll stop doing it.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

Quote: (11-22-2012 12:53 PM)Timoteo Wrote:  

I thought the league over-complicated this. Management loves coming up with different ways to dig in players' pockets. The simple solution to this was for refs to simply stop rewarding it with calls. If they simply don't blow the whistle, and a defender's man simply goes by him and scores while he's on the floor, guys will stay on their feet and play defense. Only in cases where the offensive player obviously runs over, or obviously clears space with an elbow or forearm against the defender should the ref blow the whistle. This whole system of warnings, fines and suspensions is a bit much to me. When the league decided they wanted to address palming, they instructed the refs to stop letting it go. The main offenders, like Jordan and Iverson, started getting whistled for it. They adjusted. When the league decided guys were complaining about calls too much, they instructed the refs to start T'ing guys up. Most players chilled, and the refs backed off a little once their message was delivered.

I see what you're saying and I agree to an extent but I think that would make the referees' jobs much more difficult with the high speed nature of the NBA. Something like palming the ball is much easier to judge than whether someone oversold a foul on a bang-bang play at the basket. With 30 teams at 10+ games played each there's only been one guy fined so far so it doesn't seem to be some huge money grab and it has definitely served as a deterrent thus far.

Once the playoffs start, it will be interesting to see if a higher paid guy like Chris Paul would be willing to take the fine to force a key turnover in a tight series.

Quote: (11-22-2012 05:32 PM)Enigma Wrote:  

Quote: (11-22-2012 12:53 PM)Timoteo Wrote:  

I see what you're saying and I agree to an extent but I think that would make the referees' jobs much more difficult with the high speed nature of the NBA. Something like palming the ball is much easier to judge than whether someone oversold a foul on a bang-bang play at the basket. With 30 teams at 10+ games played each there's only been one guy fined so far so it doesn't seem to be some huge money grab and it has definitely served as a deterrent thus far.

Once the playoffs start, it will be interesting to see if a higher paid guy like Chris Paul would be willing to take the fine to force a key turnover in a tight series.

I don't think there were a lot of guys blatantly trying to steal calls anyway, which is why I thought it was pointless to come up with this new system to address it. Refs know who the major offenders are (refs talk about specific players and their tendencies in their meetings), so they just need to keep an eye out for those particular guys, and judge the rest as it comes. I still don't agree with fines or suspensions for an act that doesn't attempt to injure another player. Just stop rewarding it. Also, the refs aren't really deciding who gets fined or warned - the league office reviews the plays and makes a judgment after the fact. If they want to do that to try to distinguish between different degrees of flagrant fouls, fine. Otherwise, just let the refs make calls and let them stand.