rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

It's Official: Moving to St. Petersburg Jan 28

I start living in St. Petersburg, Russia on the 28th for at least one year. I've already lived in the Czech Republic and loved it, but this time I'll be more focused on getting ahead in my new country than the ladies, but still, I expect to have a good time. Anyway, if anyone else has lived there, please, give me the lowdown. I've already read a few St. Petersburg threads, but I thought I'd open up a new one just to get some fresh stuff.

Could you say what you'll be doing there? PM if you wanna...

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Peter is for Pidorasi! [Image: smile.gif]

Quote: (11-14-2012 03:48 AM)presidentcarter Wrote:  

Could you say what you'll be doing there? PM if you wanna...

Would also be very interested in knowing this.

I have lived in Saint Petersburg for five months and i love it. I have a girlfriend so i am not macking but i can say that i have been to few countries were the girls were so sweet and friendly to me.
The first thing that pops up in my mind is that i hope you are white [Image: smile.gif] Russians are very racist and i wouldnt bother with this country i wasn't white.

Quote: (11-14-2012 01:27 PM)Lastbil Wrote:  

I have lived in Saint Petersburg for five months and i love it. I have a girlfriend so i am not macking but i can say that i have been to few countries were the girls were so sweet and friendly to me.
The first thing that pops up in my mind is that i hope you are white [Image: smile.gif] Russians are very racist and i wouldnt bother with this country i wasn't white.

Drop a data sheet for us, bro!

Just got the book The Exile. Haven't read it yet, but it has me excited about Russia. I read Vodkaberg, and it really piqued my interest in the country.

Quote: (11-14-2012 01:32 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Drop a data sheet for us, bro!

Just got the book The Exile. Haven't read it yet, but it has me excited about Russia. I read Vodkaberg, and it really piqued my interest in the country.

I'm about a third through eXile. Don't get me wrong it's interesting...but it better pick up soon. Too much interoffice/interpersonal bullshit and not enough Moscow debauchery (very little of that so far actually).

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

Did you read Vodkaberg yet? It's like $3 on the Kindle store and filled with Russian debauchery, sex, partying and the link. Really enjoyed it.

Do you have experience with that ? I know that alot of black students study in moscow and in ukraine, and my mother's brother in law studyed in moscow and is still allive.

I am asking that, because I want to join the gu's that go to russia in Autom, but I am not quiet sure what it realy is like with racism and stuff.

The Media here says that it's violent but people who have been there ore are from there are telling me there are black peole out there even in russia .

so have you experienced racism ? I know a few russians here in Germany and I am cool them. So I don't now If the racism this is realy true or just some media bullshit.

Quote: (11-14-2012 03:08 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Did you read Vodkaberg yet? It's like $3 on the Kindle store and filled with Russian debauchery, sex, partying and the link. Really enjoyed it.

It's on my kindle want list.

I'm white. Good looking. I had a great girlfriend in Prague and I'm sure I'll have a great one in St. Pete's. I generally sleep around until I find someone who I like the best and then just stick with her.

What you doing for work? Will you be living there just off your savings for that year?

Team Nachos

I'll be doing a program to certify me to teach English to foreign speakers. (TESOL Certification it's called). I also have money saved up to live there for a year even if I don't make anything. The TESOL Certification course is just to get my foot in the door. I'm young, so, even if I don't get a job, one Russian class every six months gets you a student visa to live there indefinitely.

Quote: (11-14-2012 06:12 PM)KorbenDallas Wrote:  

I'll be doing a program to certify me to teach English to foreign speakers. (TESOL Certification it's called). I also have money saved up to live there for a year even if I don't make anything. The TESOL Certification course is just to get my foot in the door. I'm young, so, even if I don't get a job, one Russian class every six months gets you a student visa to live there indefinitely.

I've been researching this. What I'm interested in is average pay by firm and specific differences by CELTA TESOL or just standard TESL certs. Also I heard there has been recent legislation alleviating much of the tax burden on ESL teachers in Russia.

$$ wise my understanding is that you can't make much, maybe enough to pay rent, unless you're doing a specialization. I saw something the other day paying $20-$23 (still shit, yes) to teach English to Japanese people over Skype (location independent!), but I assume standard teaching for new teachers is much lower (~$10/hr)?

Be wary of shady firms and getting stuck teaching too much.

I've made a lot playing poker too. Also, Pokerstars is legal over there and it was shut down here in the US.

The thing is, US culture just doesn't fit me. I have to hide my nerdiness to get laid, and I've never dated the girls I wanted to here. When I lived in Prague I dated a girl that was my vision of a ten. And she liked that I was a closet nerd. I am a big believer in the philosophy of: To each his own. I've been wanting to go to St. Pete's for a while now and I'm making it happen.

I've read a lot about the firm I'm going with. They could be shit. I'm just using them to get my foot in the door. But they seem rather reputable. The program is LanguageCorps.

Do you ever have issues getting checks from Pokerstars? And you'll need a Russian bank account to cash them, right?

I met two stunningly beautiful Russian girls at a bus station one time. They're students from St Petersburg.
I wish you well. Follow up with some pics and a good story. [Image: smile.gif]

Team Nachos

Quote: (11-14-2012 01:49 AM)KorbenDallas Wrote:  

I start living in St. Petersburg, Russia on the 28th for at least one year.

That's probably the worst time to arrive in SPB unless you really like when it's fucking cold and windy. Pack some REALLY warm clothes, it's definitely not Prague winter.

Watch out the costs. You're going to the 2nd expensive city in Russia, make sure you have enough.

Online gambling is illegal in Russia (a gambling place must have the physical presence in a few designated areas), so don't talk too much about it if you don't want your friendly neighborhood police to stop by for a cut.

Don't expect English to be spoken as much as in Czech Republic. I'd say like 40% of what you've seen in Prague would be good estimate.

Good luck!

Most of my friends in Russia play Pokerstars, so you won't have a problem at all. Also, if you want to bet on sports Fonbet.com is a great site for that (I went on a huge hot streak and bet it all on what was supposed to be a "sure win" for SKA hockey and lost [Image: undecided.gif])

Yea, don't worry about my gambling, but thanks for the tips OldNemesis. I'm active on Two Plus Two, a forum for pokerplayers, that is helping me with the transition. The one thing that is worrying is the costs. I may end up doing the second program that starts in May. I really want to move there this Jan though, I'm kinda sick of the US.

Watch out for ice. They don't keep the sidewalks clear in winter, except when it starts thawing and there's only like 1/2 inch of ice left. . My friend was in medical school in Ukraine, which has the same problem, and people came in constantly in the winter with broken bones.

I would bring some of the small clip on crampons sold in the US. People will think you're weird, but you know how important that is.

I fact I should remember to do that, I'm leaving for EE Late Dec.

Quote: (11-15-2012 02:46 PM)presidentcarter Wrote:  

Do you ever have issues getting checks from Pokerstars? And you'll need a Russian bank account to cash them, right?

No, you don't need a Russian bank account to cash your winnings. Skrill, Neteller work fine.

women wise you'll be in heaven .
there was no place i've seen that many that beautiful girls like i did in st. pete .

Quote: (11-14-2012 04:46 PM)SelfPaid Wrote:  

Do you have experience with that ? I know that alot of black students study in moscow and in ukraine, and my mother's brother in law studyed in moscow and is still allive.

I am asking that, because I want to join the gu's that go to russia in Autom, but I am not quiet sure what it realy is like with racism and stuff.

The Media here says that it's violent but people who have been there ore are from there are telling me there are black peole out there even in russia .

so have you experienced racism ? I know a few russians here in Germany and I am cool them. So I don't now If the racism this is realy true or just some media bullshit.

I've written alot about racism in Russia - St. Pete I've heard can be worse than Moscow.