rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

40+ fashion
0+ fashion
For the older guys out there, what's your take on fashion? I'm in good shape and I make sure nothing is baggy or I send it to the tailors. I've experimented with both what I consider "normal" american casual dress (jeans button downs, preppy stuff) and more formal coat and ties stuff. I really go back and forth between the two depending on how I feel. More formal in the fall and winter.

I've heard several takes on this. Krauser (who is about 2-3 years younger than I am) seems to trumpet hip clothing. But most (like theprivateman) seem to say "dress your age" and "you will stand out if you dress nice."

For the record, I feel like a tool in khaki's.
0+ fashion
Absolutely Dress Your Age! BTW that doesn't mean dressing like an old fogey with his pants up to his chest and wearing trainers.....

I'm 47 and recently (over the summer) did a complete wardrobe overhall spending more than a few thousand in the process. I put together from all the information I could find and read, fashion advice for those of us men over 40 (there aren't many of those blogs and sites over the internet that really specialize in guys our age) However, I did put together a great wardrobe albeit with a lot of time and effort. Tip: watch that movie "Crazy, Sexy, Love" with Steve Carrel and Ryan Gosling to get an idea.

Clothing
-Trousers (various, but basic colors, textures and materials, including one pair of dark blue rinse slim/straight jeans).
-Dress shirts that fit well (Hugo Boss slim fit), many slim fits actually fit me quite well and are not tight fitting(very important).
-Some v-neck athletic t-shirts (from target nonetheless, but great fitting and 100% cotton) surprisingly good quality. Sometimes they have some hidden gems, besides they're just t-shirts afterall and not something I usually wear out unless it's extremely hot or very casual.
-Polo shirts from Banana Republic, you have to really try on a few since even the Polos they carry have different fits and fabrics.
-100% merino wool sweaters in various colors for fall/winter.
-Sport jackets (2 button) a Navy Blue Blazer (had the cheesy brass buttons replaced with sharp pewter ones).
-Learned to get in the habit of wearing sport jackets and blazers on a regular basis not forgeting to keep my top button fastened when standing and unbuttoning when sitting(the mark of a gentleman) no suits or ties (doesn't fit my lifestyle in or out of work).

Accessories
-Started wearing pocket squares (they really add some style and flair).
-For my shirts I bought those working stiffs magnetic collar stays so the collars stay put where I want them and not flying out of my sport jackets and v-neck sweaters.
-Good quality leather belts with plate buckles, color of the leather matches the particular shoes I'm wearing.
-Brown Leather Gloves (Brown is my new black).
-Hat/scarf for winter/fall.
-Socks matching my trousers, not shoes.

Shoes
Speaking of shoes, I shelled out on 2 pairs of Allen Edmonds (one pair of burgundy oxfords, and one pair of the Dalton's in chocolate) Never knew what quality felt and looked like in a pair of shoes until I did, now I'll never go back. Learned to properly take care of them as well as shine my shoes regularly.
-Boat Shoes, Driving Shoes for casual wear. No more trainers unless I'm actually doing a sporting activity!
I had always heard that shoes were the first thing women look at when they size up a man as far as clothes are concerned, and now I can actually confirm this, even passing them on the street, amazing!
-Before winter I'm planning on buying a pair of Barkers (handmade from the UK).

Colors/Staying Away From Trends/Style
I also avoided buying anything in black(not easy to do since black is usually the go to color option for most guys). Additionally, think of your overall wardrobe, stay away from thinking individual pieces or outfits. This way you'll be able to mix and match, everything will go together but in different clothing combinations. I can really stretch out my wardrobe now like never before. Men over 40 should also stick to classic and slightly dressier styles. Stay away from trends, don't dress like guys half your age.

Follow the basics of: Fit, Fabric, Cut(Style) always go for quality in everything. In fact, I hate shopping, but finding the best fitting, going back and forth to the tailor, best fabrics, style etc. takes a lot of trying on, time and patience, so it's something I had to learn to get used to. Fit however is key. You could be wearing an Armani suit, but if it doesn't fit you correctly it will look like a sack of potatoes. I used to buy things in large, some in extra large when my true size was/is actually a medium.

Was it worth it?
Absolutely!
It took a while and I think it is something that men, especially our age, need to keep on top of like staying in shape, but with time, you will hopefully develop a sense of your own personal style, just like your taste in wine, food, travel, literature and of course, women. The biggest compliments, second looks and glances came from women, most of which I had never met, but have complimented me on my style. Even men took some notice(don't know how I feel about that one though).

This post may seem a bit long and self absorbed and I apologize for that. However, for me it was an ending to my own mid-life crisis and a conscious decision to grow old gracefully. When it comes to spending money on nice things, Men under 40 usually have to ask themselves why, men over 40 begin asking themselves why not......

Good luck on your own style journey, I hope that whatever I have said is of some use to you. From one over 40 to another, because growing old gracefully does take some effort.
0+ fashion
I have two pair of allen edmonds. My problem is I love them so much I never want to wear them!

great advice. I'd hate to give up my black though...

NO suits or ties?! Interesting.
0+ fashion
Quote: (10-28-2012 10:59 AM)Rudiger Wrote:  

I have two pair of allen edmonds. My problem is I love them so much I never want to wear them!

great advice. I'd hate to give up my black though...

NO suits or ties?! Interesting.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the Allen Edmonds, I feel the same way sometimes, but shoes are made to be worn.

Black was a real tough one for me though too. It's easy because it always seems to look cool, but really how original is it, look around you. How many in a room are wearing black, grey or blue, especially black? Getting out of black is similar to thinking outside the box and all the possibilities it opens up for you.....

Suits or ties wasn't a biggie for me and I still have a few sitting in the closet, gotta clear them out though. The next suit I'm going to invest in will be a 3 piece grey bespoke suit, personally made.......Rome wasn't built in a day.....
0+ fashion
I got a single pair of Allen Edmonds and unfortunately they aren't QUITE right (a little pain in the little toes) so I'm frustrated; I love the shoes but need to get them stretched or something.

I'm actually making good progress with--bear with me--secondhand stores. Not only did I score a well-made pair of all-leather (including soles) brogues for a great price, I'm finding good options for "little bets"--for example, spent $50 or so on a pretty poor tweed jacket that doesn't quiiite fit well. Wasted money? No, because I got to try it a bit and understand how and where I would wear a good one, and now I can see where it would work, so I'm willing to buy a decent made-to-measure and press on (I'm saving true custom for when I'm Really Damn Sure).

So I'm still very much in the experimental stage (secondhand shops and online tailors), but that's a great place to be when trying to figure out what works. Spending $5k on a custom suit isn't necessarily a bad idea, but spending $5k on the WRONG custom suit would be downright stupid.
0+ fashion
Quote: (10-28-2012 11:50 AM)Stitch Wrote:  

I got a single pair of Allen Edmonds and unfortunately they aren't QUITE right (a little pain in the little toes) so I'm frustrated; I love the shoes but need to get them stretched or something.

I'm actually making good progress with--bear with me--secondhand stores. Not only did I score a well-made pair of all-leather (including soles) brogues for a great price, I'm finding good options for "little bets"--for example, spent $50 or so on a pretty poor tweed jacket that doesn't quiiite fit well. Wasted money? No, because I got to try it a bit and understand how and where I would wear a good one, and now I can see where it would work, so I'm willing to buy a decent made-to-measure and press on (I'm saving true custom for when I'm Really Damn Sure).

So I'm still very much in the experimental stage (secondhand shops and online tailors), but that's a great place to be when trying to figure out what works. Spending $5k on a custom suit isn't necessarily a bad idea, but spending $5k on the WRONG custom suit would be downright stupid.

I got really lucky with mine ordering online, but if you live next to an Allen Edmonds Store, you should really check them out in person. I've been to 3 in different parts of the US and the customer service is phenomenal. You feel like you're in a special country club or something. A real education on shoes and shoe care.

Personally, going the second hand route didn't work well for me since there are really no good second hand stores where I was at. I had ordered a few items online from ebay and they didn't fit right at all. Returns were no problem though. However, if you've had good luck with them and have a few good second hand shops near you, then you could really go to town and find some true classic one of a kind treasures! That and a good tailor and you could truly refit your wardrobe for a fraction of the price! Good luck with that!
0+ fashion
Good post Eddie.

I used to be so sloppy in my style. At the time ( in my 20's to early 30's ) I thought I looked good but looking back on my photos I can see how baggy and out of shape and crappy everything looked. I used to buy loads of clothes,usually buying an item because something was on sale,and the idea of spending big on a few choice items was an anathema. I used to laugh at people who bought designer and tell myself I'd never buy something because it was a famous name. Of course what I had not comprehended was that most people who were dropping big on items were not doing so because of the name,but because of the quality of materials used and fit.

At about 35 I saw aDiesel sweater for sale. It cost me £75 and I debated buying it all day,trying to justify it. When I did and I wore it I noticed the difference in feel immediately. It was like a glove and I felt great wearing it. From there I started taking a real interest in how I dressed ( I won't say an interest in fashion because I don't follow trends or even aware of them ) and decided to only buy quality
clothing. I threw out 90% of my old clothes and slowly built up my new wardrobe with well fitted,well tailored clothing,mostly designer but not all,I happily wear Primark if it fits well ( I'm not a label whore or snob ).

Now my wardrobe concists of two designer sports jackets that fit like a glove,a selection of designer slim fit shirts ( I always thought baggy clothes made a person look bigger,then I tried a slim fit shirt and saw how much more muscular I looked ),some nice cashmere sweaters,Diesel jeans and a few pairs of Prada shoes. I
dress smart casual which for a late thirties guy gives the image I want to put out there. The transformation is stark. People constantly comment on my clothing especially women ( male friend's take the piss that I dress so well ) and I don't
care what anyone says,people definitely respond to you much much better the more well dressed you are,both male and female. I only wear a suit to weddings and never wear a tie,doesn't interest me in any way.

What I have also learnt is that I spend no more money on my wardrobe now then I did before. I used to buy random shit all the time that would fall apart soon after or I'd never wear. Now I buy a few nice pieces a couple times a year and look after them properly.

The only thing I'm really missing now is a good winter coat,I'll probably compromise and get a Burberry mac which I can wear in spring and autumn too. And I need to get myself some pocket squares to add some detail and

Investing in my wardrobe has improved my game no end,it makes you stand out from the average generically dressed male especially when you reach your late thirties and onwards. I live in a third tier UK town where few people can afford to dress well ( that's not true,they decide to spend their cash on beer instead ) so my look piques a lot of interest and allows me to approach women a point or two above me in the looks scale and twenty years younger,and know tbe bitch shield will be lowered. It's a completely different story for my generically dressed male friend's. It's shallow that we judge each other on how they are dressed but it's undoubtedly a truism.
0+ fashion
Thanks Vorkuta,

Seems like from some of your past posts that you've spent some time in Ukraine......I live and have lived here for over 13 years and as you know people here really take notice, especially when it comes to things of style and quality. Sometimes they do seem a bit behind, but nonetheless, they take notice. Image here is especially important, abnormally so in comparison to the west. If you are an older man, keep in shape and dress well it definitely ups your game and business prospects as well...
0+ fashion
Quote: (10-28-2012 12:15 PM)Eddie Morra Wrote:  

Thanks Vorkuta,

Seems like from some of your past posts that you've spent some time in Ukraine......I live and have lived here for over 13 years and as you know people here really take notice, especially when it comes to things of style and quality. Sometimes they do seem a bit behind, but nonetheless, they take notice. Image here is especially important, abnormally so in comparison to the west. If you are an older man, keep in shape and dress well it definitely ups your game and business prospects as well...

Yes you are judged in the FSU by how you dress even more so then in the West. I spent a few months in Bishkek learning Russian. My western classmates who were younger and better looking then me could not get laid and couldn't work out why I,an older bald guy could consistently do so. I could see exactly what the fundamental problem was: they dressed like they do back home,i.e generically scruffy. Whilst in the UK I know a guy can dress like that but still be far more wealthy then me and just dress like that to fit into a scene,in a Slav's mind if you dress like a Bomzh it means you are a Bomzh. Simple as,no exceptions. My Kyrgyz GF's would look at my western mates with something akin to disgust for having unkempt beards and Un-ironed clothes,it was funny to witness,young piss poor Kyrgyz chicks who lived 5 to a room and had hardly anything, openly sneering at far wealthier Westerners who could not understand why these girls were not falling
at their feet.

It was a salutary lesson: in the FSU appearance is everything.
0+ fashion
Quote:Quote:

if you live next to an Allen Edmonds Store, you should really check them out in person.

I actually did buy mine from a store--the problem was it was an hour away so returns were a pain, and I kept expecting them to wear in. I don't actually have anything against the brand--it was my mistake to settle for a shoe that almost fit thinking it would get better and not insisting on getting it corrected (in my defense, they felt pretty good in the store and I have had leather shoes wear in after an extended period, and the lady at the store echoed the sentiment). I still love the look and the manufacture, and if I can get that one area stretched I'll probably love them.
0+ fashion
Quote: (10-28-2012 01:47 PM)Stitch Wrote:  

Quote:Quote:

if you live next to an Allen Edmonds Store, you should really check them out in person.

I actually did buy mine from a store--the problem was it was an hour away so returns were a pain, and I kept expecting them to wear in. I don't actually have anything against the brand--it was my mistake to settle for a shoe that almost fit thinking it would get better and not insisting on getting it corrected (in my defense, they felt pretty good in the store and I have had leather shoes wear in after an extended period, and the lady at the store echoed the sentiment). I still love the look and the manufacture, and if I can get that one area stretched I'll probably love them.

You probably could get them stretched, just find a good local cobbler. They usually have stretching machines for that. Or contact AE online and see if you could send them back to the factory where they do all kinds of refurbishment services.

Sizing is actually even tougher ordering online. I had bought a pair of Perry Top Siders (Boat Shoes) from Zappos online. They sent me the shoes, way too narrow. I had to order like a triple or double EE size width. Usually I'm a normal D or DD width, however each make and type of shoe is crafted differently. I sent them back (free returns) and the next day(overnight I had a new pair that fit great. They even said that I had 14 days to send back the other pair(free). Great service Zappos! My AE Daltons came, I had measured from their online download measuring printout, about a 9 1/2 and borderline D-DD. So when I first put them on they were a little tight too. But the size was perfect, being calfskin leather, they stretched just enough to fit like a glove.

I think the bottom line is with leather shoes, get a proper measurement and maybe allow it to be just in between sizes not too roomy not too tight, since some stretching will allow it to conform to your feet.

Sorry to hear about your experience, try the advice I gave at the beginning.

Good Luck!
0+ fashion
No, agree with all. Actually, this is one area where secondhand shops can be worth the effort if you're patient; the shoes I mentioned getting from a secondhand store were all-leather wingtips from some brand name or other over here, and in good shape and fit; if I correctly identified them on their website, I got $400 shoes for $75 or so, and they fit better than the AEs I spent about $350 for. Not bad. You have to have a certain amount of patience to keep checking, and once I have a really good idea of what I want, I'll stop, but they have their place.

But if I had better access to an AE store, I'd be pretty happy with the ones I got from them. Very good construction and a good look.
0+ fashion
i go with stitch's advice. buying clothes on sale is not the same as buying loads of cheap stuff. i mad the latter mistake for way too many years. I now buy great clothes at a small price twice a year, when they go on sale.

"Fart, and if you must, fart often. But always fart without apology. Fart for freedom, fart for liberty, and fart proudly" (Ben Franklin)
0+ fashion
Quote: (10-28-2012 10:32 AM)Eddie Morra Wrote:  

Absolutely Dress Your Age! BTW that doesn't mean dressing like an old fogey with his pants up to his chest and wearing trainers.....

I'm 47 and recently (over the summer) did a complete wardrobe overhall spending more than a few thousand in the process. I put together from all the information I could find and read, fashion advice for those of us men over 40 (there aren't many of those blogs and sites over the internet that really specialize in guys our age) However, I did put together a great wardrobe albeit with a lot of time and effort. Tip: watch that movie "Crazy, Sexy, Love" with Steve Carrel and Ryan Gosling to get an idea.

Clothing
-Trousers (various, but basic colors, textures and materials, including one pair of dark blue rinse slim/straight jeans).
-Dress shirts that fit well (Hugo Boss slim fit), many slim fits actually fit me quite well and are not tight fitting(very important).
-Some v-neck athletic t-shirts (from target nonetheless, but great fitting and 100% cotton) surprisingly good quality. Sometimes they have some hidden gems, besides they're just t-shirts afterall and not something I usually wear out unless it's extremely hot or very casual.
-Polo shirts from Banana Republic, you have to really try on a few since even the Polos they carry have different fits and fabrics.
-Sport jackets (2 button) a Navy Blue Blazer (had the cheesy brass buttons replaced with sharp pewter ones).
-Learned to get in the habit of wearing sport jackets and blazers on a regular basis not forgeting to keep my top button fastened when standing and unbuttoning when sitting(the mark of a gentleman) no suits or ties (doesn't fit my lifestyle in or out of work).

Accessories
-For my shirts I bought those working stiffs magnetic collar stays so the collars stay put where I want them and not flying out of my sport jackets and v-neck sweaters.
-Good quality leather belts with plate buckles, color of the leather matches the particular shoes I'm wearing.

Shoes
Speaking of shoes, I shelled out on 2 pairs of Allen Edmonds (one pair of burgundy oxfords, and one pair of the Dalton's in chocolate) Never knew what quality felt and looked like in a pair of shoes until I did, now I'll never go back. Learned to properly take care of them as well as shine my shoes regularly.
-Boat Shoes, Driving Shoes for casual wear. No more trainers unless I'm actually doing a sporting activity!
I had always heard that shoes were the first thing women look at when they size up a man as far as clothes are concerned, and now I can actually confirm this, even passing them on the street, amazing!

I also avoided buying anything in black(not easy to do since black is usually the go to color option for most guys). Additionally, think of your overall wardrobe, stay away from thinking individual pieces or outfits. This way you'll be able to mix and match, everything will go together but in different clothing combinations. I can really stretch out my wardrobe now like never before. Men over 40 should also stick to classic and slightly dressier styles. Stay away from trends, don't dress like guys half your age.

Follow the basics of: Fit, Fabric, Cut(Style) always go for quality in everything. In fact, I hate shopping, but finding the best fitting, going back and forth to the tailor, best fabrics, style etc. takes a lot of trying on, time and patience, so it's something I had to learn to get used to. Fit however is key. You could be wearing an Armani suit, but if it doesn't fit you correctly it will look like a sack of potatoes. I used to buy things in large, some in extra large when my true size was/is actually a medium.

Was it worth it?
Absolutely!
It took a while and I think it is something that men, especially our age, need to keep on top of like staying in shape, but with time, you will hopefully develop a sense of your own personal style, just like your taste in wine, food, travel, literature and of course, women. The biggest compliments, second looks and glances came from women, most of which I had never met, but have complimented me on my style. Even men took some notice(don't know how I feel about that one though).

This post may seem a bit long and self absorbed and I apologize for that. However, for me it was an ending to my own mid-life crisis and a conscious decision to grow old gracefully. When it comes to spending money on nice things, Men under 40 usually have to ask themselves why, men over 40 begin asking themselves why not......

Good luck on your own style journey, I hope that whatever I have said is of some use to you. From one over 40 to another, because growing old gracefully does take some effort.

Great post, thanks! I am 37 and currently thinking about how to transation some stuff out of my wardrobe that I'm feeling is a bit 'too young' for me to wear now.

I'm not sure how much of this is a mental thing but defeintely feeling there's certain items that, plus 35 are not 'done' e.g skinny jeans, Vans etc.

Having said that, I regularly get umprompted compliments from both guys and chicks on style so maybe this is a much a 'congruency' thing as anything else?
0+ fashion
Great stuff everyone, thanks. Tried on Hugo Boss stuff today, so sweet. I bust out of the slim but the next size up fits great. Cool collars to. Great fitting jackets and pants, but so expensive.

I'm moving to Cuzco, Peru on Jan 2nd and need to be really efficient in what I bring. Pants are my Achilles heal. Fit is always a problem.

BTW. I'm with Eddie on the dearth of game material for 35 and up. It's too bad. With a 50% divorce rate and wives willing to cheat, we are everywhere. Maybe a project for someone. But Rooshs advice has gotten me numbers, dates and laid. Just would be nice to see someone talking directly to us...
0+ fashion
Quote: (10-28-2012 09:01 AM)Rudiger Wrote:  

For the older guys out there, what's your take on fashion? I'm in good shape and I make sure nothing is baggy or I send it to the tailors. I've experimented with both what I consider "normal" american casual dress (jeans button downs, preppy stuff) and more formal coat and ties stuff. I really go back and forth between the two depending on how I feel. More formal in the fall and winter.

I've heard several takes on this. Krauser (who is about 2-3 years younger than I am) seems to trumpet hip clothing. But most (like theprivateman) seem to say "dress your age" and "you will stand out if you dress nice."

dont try to look like a teen. My dad is that age group and he is usually suited or pairs quality jeans and a dress shirt with a nice watch & casual shoes. A good place to get ideas is the banana republic or nordstrom site and just look at how the guys on there are dressed

Said she only fucked like 4 or 5 niggas so you know you gotta multiply by three
0+ fashion
I'm digging these shirts these days..
http://www.thomasdeanco.com/

I need to change my avatar. I can even take myself seriously on this thread
0+ fashion
All good stuff Guys on this thread! Thanks @Rudiger for bringing up the issue.

@Rudiger, yeah Hugo Boss isn't cheap, but great fits, style and quality!

BTW Personally I can't stand the trend of skinny trousers. It doesn't matter what age you are, most men look like walking squids in them. They're becoming quite popular here in Kiev. Even if someone is in great shape, they still look like squids wearing skinny trousers(pants). Even if you have great legs, none of the definition shows and most look very disproportionate. Imagine if you have just a few extra pounds on you, hideous! Pants that sit and fit right never goes out of style.

Good Luck Guys! It's a journey going old gracefully........
0+ fashion
Quote: (10-28-2012 09:01 AM)Rudiger Wrote:  

Some good responses already I would say split the difference in what you're talking about, forget about "casual" (khakis, etc.) but don't overcompensate with a suit (especially if you're not a businessman); the former makes you look immature and the latter like you might be really serious with kids, etc.

Nice dress clothes, but clearly not from work (unless you work in the fashion industry), and shoes are big (women notice them). I'm 42 fwiw.
0+ fashion
Any ideas what to wear and to be chic in a hot climate?

The surf look is too young for me and the weather is too hot to wear jumpers and jackets etc

I try to wear linen but it gets a bit boring.

Thanks for your replies and superb post by the OP Eddie Morra.
0+ fashion
Quote: (10-28-2012 07:55 PM)192 Wrote:  

Quote: (10-28-2012 10:32 AM)Eddie Morra Wrote:  

Clothing

Accessories

Shoes

Was it worth it?
Absolutely!

Great post, thanks! I am 37 and currently thinking about how to transation some stuff out of my wardrobe that I'm feeling is a bit 'too young' for me to wear now.

I'm not sure how much of this is a mental thing but defeintely feeling there's certain items that, plus 35 are not 'done' e.g skinny jeans, Vans etc.

Having said that, I regularly get umprompted compliments from both guys and chicks on style so maybe this is a much a 'congruency' thing as anything else?

Krauser has a grainy video comparing a hip older guy (fedora, one of those dave mathews necklaces etc) to a nerdy guy )polo shirt, glasses) Actually it was more their body language, but still. I wear vans to lift weights....
0+ fashion
@MJP1
That's a tough one......I would think that traditional summer clothing, warm weather colors, with the best and most appropriate fabrics would be a safe bet. However, if you follow the golden rule of Fit, Fabric, Cut then I guess the most important factor would be fit, so taking those traditional, high quality clothing to a great tailor would be the key.......
0+ fashion
Thanks Eddie Morra.

looking to upgrade a few things this month and do not want to wear jackets and be sweating all the time.
0+ fashion
What about hats for cooler temps. Most men wear base ball cap or stocking caps. I find baseball caps immature, and stocking caps just plain lame. I have a wool fedora like hat and I sort of like it, but I wonder if it's too costume like. Although, I like pre-1970s male fashion. Everyone looked so mature. No shorts no baseball caps. Now everyone looks like a blotchy denis the menice
0+ fashion
Quote: (11-04-2012 08:09 PM)Rudiger Wrote:  

What about hats for cooler temps. Most men wear base ball cap or stocking caps. I find baseball caps immature, and stocking caps just plain lame. I have a wool fedora like hat and I sort of like it, but I wonder if it's too costume like. Although, I like pre-1970s male fashion. Everyone looked so mature. No shorts no baseball caps. Now everyone looks like a blotchy denis the menice
[Image: 4c66db5668810_170399n.jpg]