rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Shaving Cream

Shaving Cream

Tuthmosis had a great post here awhile back about skincare which I found helpful. Growing up I was somewhat acne-prone and, as you can imagine, I tried everything under the sun to get my skin as clear as possible. I know a lot more now than I did back then and most of that knowledge has come through trial and error, as well as dropping a lot of dough on different products. However, the one product I seem to struggle to find is a good, quality shaving cream or gel that doesn't breakout oily/combination skin types. Even some of the higher end brands will leave you oily half an hour after you shave. Lot's of shave creams are loaded with oils and such to "repair" skin, thus seemingly making them sure to cause breakouts in my case. More often than not I've had better luck with gels versus creams as I feel they're more suited towards my skin type. I skip the after-shave and stick with CeraVe PM Moisturizer or just a splash of Witch Hazel if I feel necessary. Right now I'm using Clinique Skin Supplies For Men M Shave Aloe Gel. It's both oil and fragrance free. I really like it, but sometimes I feel that it doesn't quite provide me with enough protection against nicks and cuts. Anyone else out there in a similar situation have any suggestions? Money isn't really an issue as I tend to shave every 2-3 days, so most shaving products tend to last me a bit longer than most people. What are you guys currently using?

[Image: _5440539.jpg]

Shaving Cream

[Image: attachment.jpg8435]   
Old school, along with the double-edged safety razor and badger brush.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Shaving Cream

Quote: (10-27-2012 10:15 PM)RawGod Wrote:  

Old school, along with the double-edged safety razor and badger brush.

I've tried Proraso before without much luck. It's got oil in it which doesn't seem to agree with my skin too well. Though I really liked the smell and the cooling action it had going on.

Shaving Cream

I just use white unscented bar soap when in the shower. Scratch the bar into my chin bristles and lather with a hand.

Haven't used shaving cream in over a decade.

I have no idea why I ever did.

Shaving Cream

Hot water + razor

Shaving Cream

I like proraso myself, although whatever gives it its cooling feel (don't know if it's peppermint oil, menthol, what) can be irritating. Right now I'm using Taylor's of Old Bond Street avocado, and it's pretty good to my skin.

Honestly, though, my favorite shave cream will probably get some resistance from readers of this forum because it's the "signature shave cream" from Nancy Boy in San Francisco, complete with the tagline "tested on boyfriends, not animals". But if that's not a problem for you, it's darn good stuff. I'm presently in London, home of Taylor's and Geo. F. Trumper's, and I'm still considering ordering another tub of this (I won't because I like trying new options, but it's still my favorite).

Shaving Cream

I like to experiment in a personal quest to get the perfect shave. So far, the best thing that I have used as foam is coconut oil soap with a badger brush.

I am currently experimenting with using extra virgin olive oil to shave. It gives me a very close, smooth shave, and leaves my skin really soft. I dont wash it off as I dont use soap on my face or body, I just wipe it off with a clean towel.

The only downside is that I feel that, as ridiculous as it sounds, my beard grows faster with the oil. By mid afternoon I have a shadow, where while shaving with cream or soap, its only by late night or next morning that I have some scruff on my face.

I shave daily by the way.

Nicks and cuts are a matter of technique, rather than the products that you use. Remember to shave in the direction the hair grows, never against it.

I have used the Clinique product that you mention and its very good. But its not very common to find, and a bit expensive for my (cheap) taste.

Another product that I have used and recommend you check out is Neutrogena shaving gel. Its significantly cheaper than Clinique, and quite as good. Their aftershave is also good, but the one I recommend is the "sensitive" one from Nivea for Men. Im pasting links for both:

http://www.neutrogena.com/product/neutro...ave+gel.do

http://www.amazon.com/Nivea-Sensitive-Af...B000GCQC6S

To treat your acne, use a drop of 5% benzoyl peroxide cream. Put a pea sized drop on your fingers, and rub it gently all over your face (or if you may, only on problem areas, as it can tend to dry out your skin, thats why 10% cream is overkill)

Do it twice daily, once in the morning after your shower/grooming, and once at night before bed (wash/clean your face first).

Its the only thing that helped me with my acne. Try it out for 2 weeks and you will see a difference. Acne might not dissapear completely, but it will be significantly reduced.

Buy a tube anyway, because it makes breakouts go away faster.

Hope that helps.

Shaving Cream

http://www.theartofshaving.com/Shaving-S...lt,pd.html

And I am a fan of this one. Refills cost about USD10

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q2Y0AI/ref=...nkCode=asn

A year from now you'll wish you started today

Shaving Cream

I just quit shaving entirely. My stubbles get trimmed every now and then with a scissors.

Shaving Cream

Quote: (10-28-2012 06:53 AM)germanico Wrote:  

To treat your acne, use a drop of 5% benzoyl peroxide cream.

It's been shown that regular use of antiseptic soaps kills the beneficial bacteria that naturally grow on our skin. This bacteria normally competes for food and directly eats the harmful bacteria. Therefore it is advised to not routinely use it.

I believe the same thing can happen for under-arm deoderant. The more you use it, the more you need it.

When I've had bad skin conditions that stopped even responding to antibiotics what I've done is to create a yogurt mask and wrap my face in plastic and sleep with it. Problem solved. The yogurts compete with and eat up and the nasties.

It took me years of a very troubling and sometimes even scarring condition to figure out the yogurt trick. The regular use of doctor prescribed steroid cream thinned out my skin so that it looked like it had a constant rash, even without infection, and the antibiotic use discolored my teeth and left my stomach open to regular bouts of candida. Sometimes the medicine is as nasty as the disease.

But a yogurt mask is what worked.

Shaving Cream

I stopped using a razor, never used shaving cream. I usually use a beard trimmer at a #1 on my cheeks and a #3 on my goatee, and with no top on my neck and lower jaw (past the curving part). Gives me some manly stubble. If you make the hair on the top of the jawline a bit longer than on the bottom, it greatly accentuates your jawline and looks good.

Shaving Cream

Quote: (10-28-2012 05:56 PM)Anon-A-Moose Wrote:  

I stopped using a razor, never used shaving cream. I usually use a beard trimmer at a #1 on my cheeks and a #3 on my goatee, and with no top on my neck and lower jaw (past the curving part). Gives me some manly stubble. If you make the hair on the top of the jawline a bit longer than on the bottom, it greatly accentuates your jawline and looks good.

Good advice, fellas. Thanks for all the replies. I'll look into the yogurt mask as well as some of the other suggestions germanico and ElJefe had. Anon-A-Moose, would something like the trimmer pictured below work fine for undertaking such a task?

[Image: 0004391798547_500X500.jpg]

Shaving Cream

I use Lab Series. It works great, doesn't clog up my safety razor like other creams sometimes do.

Shaving Cream

I know it's not the traditional use but you can clean almost anything with shaving cream. I've used it to clean the grease off my stove. It's amazing. Google it and you'll see.

Team Nachos

Shaving Cream

Quote: (10-28-2012 10:15 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

I know it's not the traditional use but you can clean almost anything with shaving cream. I've used it to clean the grease off my stove. It's amazing. Google it and you'll see.

You mean the cheap Gillette Foamy or Barbasol kind? Interesting. But all the more reason I'll never use that stuff on my face.

Shaving Cream

Quote: (10-28-2012 10:54 PM)CMan0928 Wrote:  

You mean the cheap Gillette Foamy or Barbasol kind? Interesting. But all the more reason I'll never use that stuff on my face.

Yeah the cheap foamy stuff you can get for $1 a can. It's basically rubbing alcohol. It looses up grease very well. Once a month I'll take everything off the top of the stove and lather up the whole thing and let it sit for 15 minutes and scrub it with a scrubbing sponge. Comes out looking brand new with minimal effort.

Team Nachos

Shaving Cream

Quote: (10-28-2012 11:02 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

Quote: (10-28-2012 10:54 PM)CMan0928 Wrote:  

Yeah the cheap foamy stuff you can get for $1 a can. It's basically rubbing alcohol. It looses up grease very well. Once a month I'll take everything off the top of the stove and lather up the whole thing and let it sit for 15 minutes and scrub it with a scrubbing sponge. Comes out looking brand new with minimal effort.

The next time I'm feeling inspired to clean my stove I will give this a shot for sure. Thanks.

Shaving Cream

I struggle with pimples and I this really helps with them. My face looks and feels so much smoother/cleaner after a shave. I only shave once a week and with a Mach 3 disposable razor because I dont have much hair.
[Image: Avalon-Organics-Aloe-Unscented-Moisturiz...331132.jpg]

Shaving Cream

I use the old fashioned Gillette or Colgate shit that apparently works well as an oven cleaner. I use it with a Gillette Fusion razor. All that bullshit that talks about oils and lubricants to prevent irritation don't prevent anything. They make it worse because they make your skin so slick, the razor just slides over everything, thus requiring multiple passes of the razor, which is what causes irritation. And because you have to make multiple passes, you're more inclined to think your blade is dull and therefore you change it more often. Then you go out and buy more pricey razor blades that may or may not be needed. The old school shit is just slick enough to glide over your face without fucking it up, and cuts all the hair in 1-2 passes. It's cheap and can lasts me about a year.

FWIW, my beard is thicker than most, and I'm only on my second blade for the year.

Shaving Cream

I just bought some Santa Maria Novella shave cream. Pricey, but these cans last me forever...never tried this brand. It would look nice in my bathroom as well as its an expensive italian brand. I've used their other products and have visited their farmacy in Florence. We'll see how it goes, hopefully its a bit luxurious. I'd like to have something to warm up the shave cream like they do at the barbers for straight razor shaves...would be nice.

http://www.santamarianovellausa.com/prod...JRV8WkiGb0

Shaving Cream

Quote: (11-02-2012 06:25 PM)PartyonBro Wrote:  

I just bought some Santa Maria Novella shave cream. Pricey, but these cans last me forever...never tried this brand. It would look nice in my bathroom as well as its an expensive italian brand. I've used their other products and have visited their farmacy in Florence. We'll see how it goes, hopefully its a bit luxurious. I'd like to have something to warm up the shave cream like they do at the barbers for straight razor shaves...would be nice.

http://www.santamarianovellausa.com/prod...JRV8WkiGb0

Thanks for the feedback, fellas. I go to Whole Foods once in awhile, so maybe I'll grab that Avalon Organics stuff as I believe they carry it there. I've never tried any of the Santa Maria Novella products. Speaking of high-end Italian stuff, I've always wanted to try Acqua di Parma shave cream. Again, it's pricey, but I have a feeling it's worth it. Their EDC's are amazing.

Shaving Cream

Penhaligon's Blenheim Boquet is amazing stuff and smells awesome as well. I should get back into it, its really pricey though.

http://www.penhaligons.com/shop/men-s-gr...aving.html

oh yeah, I use Art of Shave Pre-Shave Oil, really makes a decent difference.

Shaving Cream

Quote: (11-02-2012 06:42 PM)PartyonBro Wrote:  

Penhaligon's Blenheim Boquet is amazing stuff and smells awesome as well. I should get back into it, its really pricey though.

http://www.penhaligons.com/shop/men-s-gr...aving.html

oh yeah, I use Art of Shave Pre-Shave Oil, really makes a decent difference.

Those prices aren't horrendous though. This is the one I was talking about. It looks good, but I can't bring myself to drop $43 on it. Shaving oils are a no go for me. They clog up my skin.

Acqua di Parma Shave Gel

Shaving Cream

I use Truefitt & Hill 1805. It smells like the way the ocean should smell and was named to commemorate Admiral Nelson's Battle of Trafalgar. It has been made for over 200 years. It is not cheap but lasts forever - my tub will have lasted two years.

Shaving Cream

Quote: (11-02-2012 07:09 PM)durangotang Wrote:  

I use Truefitt & Hill 1805. It smells like the way the ocean should smell and was named to commemorate Admiral Nelson's Battle of Trafalgar. It has been made for over 200 years. It is not cheap but lasts forever - my tub will have lasted two years.

Is the use of a brush absolutely necessary with the Truefitt & Hill though?