rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

[Ideas Needed] Morning Motivation and Keeping Momentum:

I've noticed lately I have been experiencing a sudden lack in morning motivation and random slumps throughout the day that are hurting my overall progress. I figured out the first step is to have a clear to do list for the next day, meditate, a cup of coffee, and going for a run are helping. Anything in particular that gives you energy or makes you feel ready to take on the day? How do you stay focused and keep motivated?

I've found that meditating at night has allowed me to save time in the morning and get a quicker jump out the door.
Quote: (10-23-2012 02:03 AM)Black Quixote Wrote:  

I've noticed lately I have been experiencing a sudden lack in morning motivation and random slumps throughout the day that are hurting my overall progress. I figured out the first step is to have a clear to do list for the next day, meditate, a cup of coffee, and going for a run are helping. Anything in particular that gives you energy or makes you feel ready to take on the day? How do you stay focused and keep motivated?

Ever hear of Eben Pagan's "personal success ritual" from the Wake Up Productive series? It sounds like you've already begun to build one for yourself.

Here's mine before I slacked off, and every time I slack off of it, my life starts to go to shit. My morning ritual really keeps everything on track.

Wake Up
Clean teeth
Drink Water (to rehydrate from sleeping)
Light cleaning around the house - basically picking up shit, quick dishes, etc, to keep the house maintained between heavy cleanings
Light Stretching or Yoga (only if I'm doing my workouts later in the afternoon - otherwise this time if for working out)
5 minutes meditation (double or triple this after I get used to it)
5 minutes visualization (same as above)
Shower & Groom
Eat Healthy Breakfast
20-30 minutes reading or listening to audios about business or personal development

Your personal success ritual is supposed to be carried out every single day, or at least 6 days a week on average, in the exact same order every time. It sounds like a lot, but it can really go for as long as you want - I have the luxury of working at home, which gives me more room to juggle my time. My experience is that it works wonders.

Another thing that keeps me focused and helps harness that momentum further is that after the success ritual is out of the way I get started on my work day, which is separated into timed "work blocks," also as instructed in Wake Up Productive (highly recommend just watching it yourself, of course).

The work blocks basically consist of hyper-focused work time for 50 minutes, a 10 minute break, another 50 minute block, and then a 30 minute break (can be used for a meal or going for a walk or whatever). Then start the cycle again with another set of blocks.

The routine above puts my productivity through the roof. Partying too much often makes me fall off though as I start sleeping in too late - that's why I stopped doing it last time.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Quote: (10-23-2012 02:18 AM)ORLY Wrote:  

I've found that meditating at night has allowed me to save time in the morning and get a quicker jump out the door.

At night, eh? Interesting. Right before bed? How long for? What type of meditation?

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Dude

This post right here-

http://www.rsdnation.com/node/229913/forum

Create an excel file and slowly start adding in more habits.

Quote: (10-23-2012 03:44 AM)torontokid Wrote:  

Dude

This post right here-

Awesome article - thanks for this. Not finished reading yet but the way he uses the spreadsheets actually reminds me of the system Benjamin Franklin uses in "The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin" (cool book), except he was building values instead of habits (and obviously didn't have a spreadsheet program lol).

Beyond All Seas

One thing that's helped me with building habits and motivation is adding them a little bit at a time. Only until I have mastered the previous habit, meaning that I can execute it everyday for at least 2 weeks did I add another.

As an example going to the gym has always been easy for me. However, my nutrition was not up to par with my exercise habits. I revamped my entire nutritional protocol, one meal at a time. First I made sure I ate a proper breakfast and continued this for two weeks. Then I added a shake to that routine. Then I added a proper lunch, etc. etc.

You'll find that it's easier to go about it this way. We are resistant to change, so it's important to do things incrementally.

Dude

This post right here-

I've read a lot of personal dev / productivity shit and that's a very legit post, got quite a bit from it. Thanks for linking. I think he could benefit from a little less structure obsession and hyper-management of his day, but overall that's some next level tactics for tackling problems I struggle with all the time.

The RSD forum seems to suffer from some bogus and / or old school game mentality, but I will say that at the end of the day the pursuit of game is the pursuit of manly development, we're all trying to do the same things, and I wish everyone over there the best as long as they're not some shyster hawking bogus info products.

Quote: (10-23-2012 04:21 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

Dude

This post right here-

Awesome article - thanks for this. Not finished reading yet but the way he uses the spreadsheets actually reminds me of the system Benjamin Franklin uses in "The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin" (cool book), except he was building values instead of habits (and obviously didn't have a spreadsheet program lol).

Hey man, recently i was going to buy the autobiography of benjamin franklin but i noticed that it has been written by different authors and i didnt know which one to buy. Which one do you think i should buy? Any amazon links?

Thanks

Go to bed earlier. You will wake feeling more refreshed.

Have you tried waking up with pushups? At the worst, it'll make your arms stronger. It gets me up if a shower won't do it.

Good stuff in here. Getting Eben Pagans Wake Up Productive now. One thing I am really trying to work on. I am way more motivated/productive from 7AM to noon, not much after that. Need to really maximize my time during those morning hours.

Quote: (10-23-2012 08:57 AM)pitt Wrote:  

Hey man, recently i was going to buy the autobiography of benjamin franklin but i noticed that it has been written by different authors and i didnt know which one to buy. Which one do you think i should buy? Any amazon links?

Thanks

Here's the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UJN...k_ro_title

It says it's written by multiple offers, but that's because it was kind of reworked a lot by people related to him and there are other pieces in there submitted by other people, if I remember correctly. It's all broken down in the intro. Footnotes also note parts that have been edited - I found a lot of the footnotes interesting so read them.

This version is free for Kindle.

Beyond All Seas

Yea before bed. I usually sit on a zafu cross legged and count my breaths. I do 15 minutes before switching the orientation of my legs since the leg on top usually falls asleep. I guess they call this position zazen. (side:btw moving meditation to nighttime has helped me fall asleep faster and avoid surfing the web too far into the night). I've also noticed, like neo, that the key is to take on one new behavior change at a time. I do one 30 day trial at a time; if I miss a day I start over. Also I don't think all habits are made the same. In the book The Power of Habit, the author states there are certain habits known as "keystone habits" which serve as the foundation for others that follow. One biggie is exercise. People who tend to exercise more, also start eating better. However, I'd argue the everyones keystone habits my differ and probably has to do a lot with your values and beliefs.
Quote: (10-23-2012 03:44 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

Quote: (10-23-2012 02:18 AM)ORLY Wrote:  

At night, eh? Interesting. Right before bed? How long for? What type of meditation?

If I get into bed early enough to train and lift weights first thing in the morning, I feel great for the rest of the day. Hard to consistently get in the sack early though with a heavy duty work schedule.

It takes a few hours to go from waking up to being mentally functional. If you have to leave for work at 7am then get up at 4:30 or 5 and do some heavy lifting.
I used to set my alarm for 4:30am to get up and eat something light and take my vitamins and supplements. It takes a good hour for them to kick in.
So I just went back to bed for another hour til I felt them kick in. Then get up and do some weights, shower, coffee and some kinda after workout protein.
Usually 4 or so soft boiled eggs or left-over chicken or fish from the night before. By the time you get to work you're all fired up and ready to go.

You've gotta motivate yourself man. Hang up a calendar of nude chicks in your work-out space or something. Do what ever you need to do.

Team Nachos

Quote: (10-23-2012 05:03 AM)Rah Wrote:  

Dude

This post right here-

I've read a lot of personal dev / productivity shit and that's a very legit post, got quite a bit from it. Thanks for linking. I think he could benefit from a little less structure obsession and hyper-management of his day, but overall that's some next level tactics for tackling problems I struggle with all the time.

The RSD forum seems to suffer from some bogus and / or old school game mentality, but I will say that at the end of the day the pursuit of game is the pursuit of manly development, we're all trying to do the same things, and I wish everyone over there the best as long as they're not some shyster hawking bogus info products.

The RSD main forum is mostly 99 percent shit. The overall quality of the forums there is much lower but occasionally there'll be a diamond on the dust like the above post.

Quote: (10-23-2012 01:26 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Good stuff in here. Getting Eben Pagans Wake Up Productive now. One thing I am really trying to work on. I am way more motivated/productive from 7AM to noon, not much after that. Need to really maximize my time during those morning hours.

Slap this at the end of your morning ritual. It's a great way to internalize the ability to create your day and your life. I actually memorized it and usually recite it while working out.

"Man is made or unmade by himself; in the armory of thought he forges the weapons by which he destroys himself. He also fashions the tools with which he builds for himself heavenly mansions of joy and strength and peace.

By the right choice and true application of thought, man ascends to the Divine Perfection; by the abuse and wrong application of thought, he descends below the level of the beast. Between these two extremes are all the grades of character, and man is their maker and master.

Of all the beautiful truths pertaining to the soul which have been restored and brought to light in this age, none is more gladdening or fruitful of divine promise and confidence than this - that man is the master of thought, the molder of character, and maker and shaper of condition, environment, and destiny. "

--James Allen

Beyond All Seas

Weirdly enough I have found that sleeping 6 hours a night leaves me feeling much better than if I slept in until 8 hours.

My recipe for "success" in the morning is to wake up, roll out, get dressed, and leave immediately. The hardest part about a morning ritual is getting out the door, which is why I try to do it immediately. I usually lay out my clothes the night before if possible and skip breakfast.

If I want to do anything in particular, like some pushups or something, I'll set my alarm ten minutes early and proceed.

Quote: (10-24-2012 01:52 PM)Hades Wrote:  

I usually lay out my clothes the night before if possible

Do you really? [Image: lol.gif] The only thing I do the night before is get my coffee maker ready.
It has a programmable timer. I love waking up to the smell of coffee.

Team Nachos

God I hate mornings. I hate them if there is ANYONE around for about a half hour. I need time all to myself.

Then I only feel better if I pop some amp or ephedrine, stretch, drink a protein smoothie, and hit the gym. Then I'll get a phone call or remember something that I'm pissed off about, and suddenly I either wakeup mucho or become more depressed, until I make smalltalk with a casual acquaintance that may help to put me in a better mood.

If I could wake up at 10am instead of 8am everyday I'd be about 15% happier.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Great thread! If I could only pass on ONE lesson to my younger self, it would be that EVERYTHING is a habit. We're all slaves to it, or running on cut grooves, or just little men riding a big elephant down the path... pick your metaphor. Warren Buffet said, "The chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken."

Personally, I'm a night owl, and my body would gladly live 26-30 hour days if it could. The biggest thing that effects my mornings are my nights, and the biggest impediment to reading, setting goals, and getting great sleep is my laptop. As I type this, I'm moving my essential files onto a thumb drive so I can unplug my home computer for a week, maybe more.

And I highly recommend you check out this post from Zen Habits, and The Power Of Full Engagement.

Every morning when I would wake up I'd stretch for a bit then work out and take a hot shower. The natural high you get from lifting weights would make me feel better about myself and make me look forward to tackling on the day. Sadly I haven't done this in months due to certain current life changes.

Quote: (10-23-2012 02:19 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

Quote: (10-23-2012 08:57 AM)pitt Wrote:  

Thanks

Here's the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UJN...k_ro_title

It says it's written by multiple offers, but that's because it was kind of reworked a lot by people related to him and there are other pieces in there submitted by other people, if I remember correctly. It's all broken down in the intro. Footnotes also note parts that have been edited - I found a lot of the footnotes interesting so read them.

This version is free for Kindle.
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-American-A...0451529154

Although you should totally take advantage of the free text via kindle, this is a good version of the physical text that also contains some other amazing writing (Frederick Douglass' narrative was also very inspiring) that I used for an Early American Lit class. Most of my class complained about Franklin being preachy but I was happy to absorb what he had to say.