rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Cheapest home made cleaning product can also be used on food

A doctor I met recently who tests foods basically told me all produce (especially organic) is infected with some type of bacteria, mold or virus. He than told me about a bleach solution to clean produce with that is backed by Nebraska university and Ohio state university.

http://extension.osu.edu/news-releases/a...n-surfaces

http://www.foodsafetysite.com/educators/...duce2.html

http://ohioline.osu.edu/anr-fact/pdf/0025.pdf

It's basically one tablespoon bleach in one gallon water. Soak for 10-20 minutes than rinse with regular water thoroughly.

Quote: (10-18-2012 08:55 PM)MidniteSpecial Wrote:  

A doctor I met recently who tests foods basically told me all produce (especially organic) is infected with some type of bacteria, mold or virus. He than told me about a bleach solution to clean produce with that is backed by Nebraska university and Ohio state university.

http://extension.osu.edu/news-releases/a...n-surfaces

http://www.foodsafetysite.com/educators/...duce2.html

http://ohioline.osu.edu/anr-fact/pdf/0025.pdf

It's basically one tablespoon bleach in one gallon water. Soak for 10-20 minutes than rinse with regular water thoroughly.

The thing is, it seems that people who are overly 'clean' and over-sanitise their foods and living spaces end up having allergies and auto-immune disorders. Basically, if you're not feeding your immune system with bacteria and viruses to destroy, then your immune system will turn on you.

One of my mentors from medical school had a theory that kids from broken homes are allowed to run and play outside and be dirty (because no one cares) and that builds up their immune systems, while kids from overly protective homes are kept clean and never have that immune system stimulation. The kids from broken homes grow up to be criminals and somehow when they land in hospital shot up with several bullet holes they ALWAYS SURVIVE because their immune systems are able to clean up a lot of the damage, while nice beta people who were raised clean get one gun shot wound and they die in ICU from severe wound infections. Anyway, that was just his hypothesis, but the point I'm trying to make is that there are consequences to being overly hygienic.

I'm actually wondering if there's any study relating people living in large cities with mass transit vs smaller cities who commute via their own cars. I know I'm exposed to a lot more stuff riding the subway, and I'd like to think there's a positive benefit with the workout my immune system's been taking...

Quote: (10-19-2012 04:08 AM)Stitch Wrote:  

I'm actually wondering if there's any study relating people living in large cities with mass transit vs smaller cities who commute via their own cars. I know I'm exposed to a lot more stuff riding the subway, and I'd like to think there's a positive benefit with the workout my immune system's been taking...

I did a quick search and I couldn't find any papers on this. There's stuff on how diseases spread through mass transit but nothing on the immunity of the people themselves. Sounds like a fun research project, though.

Mass Transit is a major disease vector. Remember SARS? It was a big deal over here, but the Japanese were scared shitless by it, because all it would take is one patient in a Tokyo train car and within three days everyone in the country would be infected.

Being exposed to germs to strengthen your immune system is cool. Ingesting pathogens like E. coli , shigella , staph, salmonella, etc. and whatever other thing is passed on by dirty food handlers is not cools. This is a simple precaution that can stop this kind of shit. Especially if your traveling and worried about getting foreign shit. Food Poising is a silent killer. Even getting it once can fuck up your digestion for a while or until you correct the problem.

Here's a list of what this solution kills.

Bacteria
Staphylococcus aureus (Staph.)
Salmonella choleraesuis
Pseudomonas aeruginosa
Streptococcus pyogenes (Strep.)
Escherichia coli O157:H7 (E. coli)
Shigella dysenteriae
Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)
Fungi
Trichophyton mentagrophytes (can cause Athlete's Foot)
Candida albicans (a yeast)
Viruses
Rhinovirus Type 37 (a type of virus that can cause colds)
Influenza A (Flu virus)
Hepatitis A virus
Rotavirus
Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV)
HIV-1 (Human Immunodeficiency Virus)*
Herpes simplex Type 2
Rubella virus
Adenovirus Type 2
Cytomegalovirus

Just because your not throwing up and bed ridden doesn't mean you havent been exposed or that your immune system isn't compromised fighting off these pathogens. Symptoms can come in many different forms and ailments.

http://sandanyi.com/fungi-infected-foods...at-you-eat

http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...ected-food

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articl...tions.aspx

Quote: (10-19-2012 07:38 AM)MidniteSpecial Wrote:  

Bacteria
Salmonella choleraesuis
Pseudomonas aeruginosa
Shigella dysenteriae
Fungi
Viruses
Influenza A (Flu virus)
Hepatitis A virus
Rotavirus
Herpes simplex Type 2
Rubella virus
Adenovirus Type 2
Cytomegalovirus

Thanks for sharing.

I'm worried that the bleach solution would also destroy the cells in the food, lowering its nutritional value.

Washing your food and properly cooking it are also effective for most of the above pathogens.

I note that in your list, you do not include tapeworm and related parasites.

I do think the bleach thing is a good idea if you want to eat fresh foods from dodgy places. It's probably more effect for disinfecting an apple, for example.

A pity it won't get tapeworm out of your pork.

Quote: (10-20-2012 02:42 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

Quote: (10-19-2012 07:38 AM)MidniteSpecial Wrote:  

Bacteria
Salmonella choleraesuis
Pseudomonas aeruginosa
Shigella dysenteriae
Fungi
Viruses
Influenza A (Flu virus)
Hepatitis A virus
Rotavirus
Herpes simplex Type 2
Rubella virus
Adenovirus Type 2
Cytomegalovirus

Thanks for sharing.

I'm worried that the bleach solution would also destroy the cells in the food, lowering its nutritional value.

Washing your food and properly cooking it are also effective for most of the above pathogens.

I note that in your list, you do not include tapeworm and related parasites.

I do think the bleach thing is a good idea if you want to eat fresh foods from dodgy places. It's probably more effect for disinfecting an apple, for example.

A pity it won't get tapeworm out of your pork.

Bleach kills the living cells, but doesn't really react with or break down anything that has nutritional value.

if you are eating the now chemically soaked food, you will kill your gut bacteria and fuck up your digestion. good luck fixing that back to "normal". bleach/chlorine as in highly chlorinated water is the same

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Thanks for your opinion void. I will consider it.

Quote: (10-20-2012 08:18 AM)Barbarossa Wrote:  

Bleach kills the living cells, but doesn't really react with or break down anything that has nutritional value.
As far as I know bleach breaks down anything and everything outside of metal. It's why I pour it down my drains when they're blocked.

Your simply putting a tablespoon in a gallon of water and soaking it thn rinsing thorughly after. Your not going to the bar and taking shots of bleach

Quote: (10-20-2012 03:47 PM)MidniteSpecial Wrote:  

Your simply putting a tablespoon in a gallon of water and soaking it thn rinsing thorughly after. Your not going to the bar and taking shots of bleach

Yes, bleach breaks down in water, if you wait long enough there will be no bleach left. That's why in deep rural areas in South Africa people mix it into their tubs of drinking water that they collect from the river or whereever, and they just leave it for a day, then the next day its drinkable and relatively sterile.

That said, I've met people who have tried to commit suicide by drinking bleach. It causes a very intense chemical burn that can cause your oesophagus to burst. If you oesophagus does not burst, it will often heal with such severe scarring that you won't be able to swallow food without undergoing a surgical procedure.

Quote: (10-19-2012 03:34 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

The thing is, it seems that people who are overly 'clean' and over-sanitise their foods and living spaces end up having allergies and auto-immune disorders. Basically, if you're not feeding your immune system with bacteria and viruses to destroy, then your immune system will turn on you.

Yep. It's call the hygiene hypothesis and there's a lot of research:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2841828/

I agree with that hypothesis to a certain extent. But not when it comes to what is living in my gut. I don't obsess about washing my hands or keeping my house sterile. But I want my digestive system to be as efficient as possible. This means eating clean foods and keeping pathogens out. It may sound anal or crazy but its good addition to anyone's protocol. Especially for the traveling playboy who is introducing new pathogens with each new country he visits. To each his own though just sharing some insight that was given to me by a doctor who happens to be very sought after with a excellent success rate. There is a method to his madness. All disease starts in the gut.

I hardly ever wash my Vegetables unless a wax or dirt is present on it. Spinach and sprouts are the only two things I wash well because they are grown and handled in dodgy environments.

The only time I am more cautious of germs is in the winter when everybody is full of snot and sick.

I've gotten the most violent food illnesses from process foods. Dodgy frozen pizzas, "rib-lets"... crap like that have nearly put me in a coffin but I have never gotten sick from real foods Veg or meat.

I also agree that being to cautious of germs is more harmful then helpful. Our culture does not like for you to deal with things that are alive but we are short-changing ourselves because many of these bacteria of beneficial for us. Your body needs little things to fight off now and then to keep it strong.

Stumbled on this article from zero-hedge. It may or may not be relevant to this thread, but I thought I'd share it:

"...we need our microscopic flora at least as much as they need us (skyrocketing food allergy, MS, Type 1 diabetes, celiac disease, autism rates all attest to this). I think that our cultural antagonism toward an intact ecosystem is suicidal. Actually, I know it is suicidal, but I think it is manifesting more and more strongly in our capitalist subconscious. So much sanitizer and plastic!"

"Health is horribly unprofitable; illness, anxiety and alienation are highly profitable."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-10-21...estruction

Use white vinegar. If you're ueber concerned about bacteria, especially ecoli, spray the food with white vinegar, then spray with hydrogen peroxide. A scientist at Virginia Tech named Susan Sumner helped test this when studying how to disinfect sides of beef and found it was useful to clean veggies as well.

http://anonym.to/?http://www.sciencenews...6/food.htm

Fuck using bleach of any kind on food.

Quote: (10-21-2012 03:00 AM)MikeCF Wrote:  

What would be considered overly clean?

Quote: (10-29-2012 04:07 AM)houston Wrote:  

Quote: (10-21-2012 03:00 AM)MikeCF Wrote:  

What would be considered overly clean?

Insisting that you and everying around you should always be sterile.
Examples:
- Using antibacterial soaps
- Using antibacterial home cleaning products
- Insisting that your home and car should always be spit-shine clean, especially if that shine is created using consumer products (excessive exposure to cleaning products cause health problems in and of themselves, for example cleaners and janitors have higher incidences of cancer and this is thought to be due to the constanct cleaner-product exposure)

Typical American demands his food and home is spotless and free of germs, but will eat a animal (Pork) that eats its own shit.