rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Keeping my focus when working on projects?

I've been having a lot of difficulty completing projects. What happens is I tend to jump around too much. I'll start something that excites me, work on it for a few months, then switch gears and start something completely different. What ends up happening is that I'm left with a bunch of things that are 50% done.

So my question is mostly to the guys on the forum who either write, program, or do other creative tasks. Do you guys work on one project and commit all your energy to it until completion? Or do you jump around and things seem to come together in the end?

I don't think it's a discipline or time management issue because I commit time and work on them. It seems to stem more from my initial excitement that carries me for a few months. Then I'll think of something else that seems more exciting and I'll work on that for a bit. In the end it becomes difficult to get things completely finished.

Is this a common problem?

2x post

Try unpacking your issue more. listen to the parts of you that wanna complete your project ( why?) and the parts that dont (why?) see what comes up. you can even write it out as a dialogue between two different parts of yourself if you want. the answers aren't always what you expect.

You know, some people have the opposite problem - they stick with things until the bitter end even though they are a lost cause. Sunk Cost Bias. So "completing something" isnt always necessarily the right thing to do. I know for me, I went through a phase of exploring a new discipline like every 2 months, really flitting around between completely unrelated things. It never felt wrong though because I felt I really needed to get a proper feel for what each one would be like before committing. Looking back, it was the right thing to do.

OTOH, I also sometimes get put off by the perceived stress and effort it would take to just get something finished. So I distract myself and start looking around for new excitement, even though what I really want is to finish the project and get the benefit of that.

That's why I'd say get into the reasoning on both sides of the inner conflict and see what comes out of that.

Yes it is a common problem. Can you give an example a project you've lost focus on?

I have a suggestion, but it's going in my nifty lil' ebook that I hope to market for some beer money.
What sort of project are you doing anyhow? It could just be interest related.

Similar thread here, check it out:

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-13507.html

First, try working out. Alternate lifting and running/boxing/cardio whatever every day.

If that doesn't help, you likely are just not genetically predisposed to living and working in modern society. Go to a psychiatrist and get Adderall or some other similar ADD drug. Provigil also works for many people and is not a Schedule II drug.

Your brain is an organ like any other, there is no shame in taking medicine to insure it works properly. More importantly, life is short. If drugs improve your quality of life, take them.

Thanks for the input guys. RichieP that's a great suggestion. I've found in that a lot of times when we clearly outline our reasons for doing something it gives us more motivation to accomplish the goal. I haven't tried turning it into a dialogue as an exercise though.

They are a couple of ebooks and I admit I have some fear that they will flop. That's definitely part of the reasons for jumping around, I always come up with 'a better idea' leaving the previous one unfinished.

I don't think that drugs are the answer, as motivation and discipline are not the issue. I am up at 5 am 4x a week to lift, and work on the projects daily. It's really a matter of starting a bunch of things and not finishing. It's strange as I don't really have this issue in other areas of my life.

I feel you. I have been working on the same project for the past 5 years and will continue for longer. I think the main focus is what you are trying to accomplish. What is the end game? How will finishing that project get you closer to your goal?

Once you figure that out, it will be a lot easier to stop jumping from project to project. Really, in the end, jumping around so much will get very little accomplished.

Oh I see. Well in that case the best way to maintain focus and see a project through it's finish is to get rid of other projects and finish one at the expense of the progress of others. But the way I see it you're doing that already.

I think you're having a tough time pushing through project plateaus. This guy sums up the idea nicely:

His book is a solid read but the video covers the main talking points.