rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Have you ever picked a destination by random chance?

I know most guys here do a lot of homework before they choose a destination, reading data sheets and such. But have you ever just picked a destination entirely by chance?

I once had a college professor that had traveled to over a hundred countries. She said that she and her husband would just pack a suitcase, show up at the International terminal and buy a ticket on the next plane leaving the country, no matter where it was going.

I think at least once in my life I'm going to have to choose a destination that way.

Also met a dude once that put on a blindfold and threw a dart at a wall map to decide where he was going. Assuming of course it's a country you can actually go to, not Somalia or Syria.

So far I always decides months in advance so I can do alot of research and learn about the countries. By the time I leave I dont even need a travel guide or anything because I have half the information stuck in my head.

The closest i did to this was when i made a spur of the moment decision to go to panama alone from costa rica. Pre-facebook era I had no contacts there, no hotel lined up, no itinerary, not even a lonely planet guide for the country. I just decided to go. Everything worked out fine.

Still, i would be hesitant to throw a dart at a wall and decide i was going there. Certain places would be extremely difficult logistically to get to arnd i simply have no interest in some countries and wouldnt force it.

"I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not trying. Everyday hit every wave, like I'm Hawaiian"

Last time I went back packing in Europe, I had a Euro pass and my buddy and I would just show at the train station of whatever city we were in and hop on the first train that was leaving north and hope for the best. We did this from Barcelona until Hamburg, definitely not the quickest route but we end up in some cities that we normally woudn`t have gone to.

I hate travel planning and almost never pre-book hotels, I just show up in whatever city I`m going to and wing it.

I initially wanted to go the the Tirol area of Austria by way of Vienna.
Ryanair had flights for about 20 dollars USD. So I flew into because it was so cheap.
Ended up staying in budapest for 4 days banging a chick.

Took a 10 dollar bus to Vienna..and was so unimpressed with the City that I stayed for one night and left for Prag the next day

To this day..I plan to go back to Budapest

I am the cock carousel

Quote: (10-10-2012 10:06 PM)Sourcecode Wrote:  

Took a 10 dollar bus to Vienna..and was so unimpressed with the City

Why is that? It looks every bit as amazing as Paris to me, at least in photos.

Quote: (10-11-2012 02:14 AM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Who dares to question the timeless beauty and elegance of our magnificent capital in all its imperial glory?
[Image: icon_eek.gif]

Cambodia - I picked it for a visa run the morning I decided to do one, just because it was the cheapest flight that day. Bought RoughGuide at the airport, turned up on the doorstep of the first cheap guesthouse with a good writeup.

So glad I went, really interesting place. I thought all SEAsia would be = to Thailand, it's not. Totally different vibe. Wanna go back for longer.

To this day..I plan to go back to Budapest

YESSSS. Budapest - of the three months solo travelling I did, it was one of my favourite euro cities. Girls there were non-pretentious, and absolutely stunning. Much love.

Coincidently the only reason I flew there was because of the 20 euro Ryanair fares.

Another city I chose based on air-fare price was Porto. So much better than all the Spanish cities I visited. Better locals, music, food.

Basically the random cities I found better than the planned 'hyped' up cities (e.g. Ibiza/Amsterdam).

Maybe for my next trip, I might create a RyanAir flight roulette.

If you're not growing, you're dying.

Almost random, last year when I was in central Europe, when I hear a country is good, I am near by, I book a ticket go there and explore the hot girls.

Quote: (10-11-2012 02:14 AM)speakeasy Wrote:  

amazing in what way? architecture wise? besides a couple monuments and what not. Vienna isn't impressive to me. there just isn't much going for the city.
Also, coming from Germany, Austria's was nothing new. first impression was that chicks were a little shorter and in some cases chubby. What saves them is that they have more style. Vienna is a very posh like city. the language..a funnier version of German.

Paris beats it easy for the language, and more styles of women. Yea.the same asshole attitude.But the culture it's more "stylish"

I am the cock carousel