rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Sports bar pick up for non sports guys

As I sit at this bar tonight drinking my $2 beer I'm cringing watching the Jets game. The place is basically one big sausage party except for maybe 2 cute girls on the other side of the bar. Thin, cute, athletic girl next door type.

Why am I here? Well it's 9:30 and I have a 10 o'clock drink date with a fuckbuddy of mine. I'm 2 hours from home and made plans to meet this girl a few days ago. I was gonna be in the area. Just killing time and exploiting the cheap beers.

So this group of guys on my left are rambling on about players and stats and I'm trying not to show my contempt. I'm putting out this negative vibe and I know it. I'd kill it with these girl if I was in my element ...pubs, lounges and house parties.

How do you guys do it in this environment? Help!!

Team Nachos

Chances are the girls are into guys that know more about sports than they do (and chances are they know more than you). Fuck it though, go find out.

This is like today when I was in the gym going beast mode on the treadmill. Girl comes in (pretty hot), hops on the treadmill beside me, and turns the tv in front of her on espn. After a while she moves down to the elliptical and again puts the tv in front on espn. There wasn't a game on or anything, just sportscenter. I don't really follow many sports and couldn't have more than a 2 minute conversation about what's current in NFL or MLB (most widely followed, at least around here) and girls that are huge into it seem strange to me.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

My favorite bar in University was a sports bar with good beer. It was mostly a sausage fest, and I'd go there to hang out with my buddies and have a couple of pints in the middle of the week. The most important thing to realize is that girls going to a sports bar have no intention of meeting guys. This is a good thing, since they aren't screening and are usually pretty easy to talk to.

Are the girls by themselves or with a group of guys?

If they are with a group of guys, I'd usually wait for one of the guys to say something stupid and call him out on it, in a playful way, and follow this up with some sort of faux-respectful comment. Basically you want to make a joke at his expense, and immediately follow this up with a low-key or indirect compliment to show that you aren't disrespecting him. After this, you continue talking to the group and eventually get to flirting with the girls. The good thing with bars like this is that people know they will be overheard and butting into conversations isn't abnormal. If you don't know much about sports, just change the topic to something else, like beer.

If the girls are alone, you can just approach them like you would anywhere else.

Also, the negative vibe will kill you man. It's really easy to establish DHV in small sports bars. Just talk to the bartender about something neutral, get him/her to laugh at a joke, and the whole place thinks you are cool.

Come on, Parlay. We did this back in February on Superbowl Sunday!

Just go up to these girls and ask them what team they're going for and why.

Quote: (10-08-2012 08:59 PM)at350zguyy Wrote:  

Come on, Parlay. We did this back in February on Superbowl Sunday!

Yeah that was NYC not some shit kicking redneck bar like I'm in now [Image: lol.gif]

That was a fun night. I had big booty black bitches buying me drinks plus we met Jay-Z.

Try to think standard run of the mill sports bar in a suburbia strip mall [Image: dodgy.gif]

Team Nachos

Same deal, my man. The opener doesn't matter.

Ask em if they're Jets fans and then tell them you hate Tebow.

Yeah, I can't get into sports like those diehard guys. What's funny is many of the diehard sports fans were never even jocks in HS/college.

Walk up to them nonchalant and drop this line. "This game isn't doing it for me, <pause>, I'm craving some-semi intelligent conversation, you two got any? <smirk>
Her: "SEMI-INTELLIGENT??!!!"
You: Well, we're drinking, and i'm not really the serious type...

Keep it light and playful, talking about other shit besides sports might put you leaps and bounds above the average run of the mill suburbia sport jock posers.

Quote:Quote:

If they are with a group of guys, I'd usually wait for one of the guys to say something stupid and call him out on it, in a playful way, and follow this up with some sort of faux-respectful comment.

A more reliable way to open a guy is to just make a comment about the game then be playful and tease the girls. The douche move on a guy is likely to backfire, either making you look insecure or turning a neutral guy into a cockblock. Use it with care.

Quote: (10-08-2012 08:57 PM)panache Wrote:  

The most important thing to realize is that girls going to a sports bar have no intention of meeting guys.

This is 100% not true, at least in my experience in my American (NJ and DC) experience. Girls don't give a shit about football no matter what they say or what stats they saw that morning on sportscenter. They come to the bar at noon all dressed up in their stupid Victoria's Secret football jersey and are usually made up pretty well. They want to be the fun, sporty chick who they think every guy loves. They scream at the TV, name 1 of the 3 players they know over and over, and will talk your ear off about how big of a fan they are if given the opportunity. Girls know dudes don't give a fuck about them on Sunday; most men are there to watch the game and eat wings. Girls who go out anyway are looking to display value and impress guys with their fun-ness, and it is a great opportunity to get them to qualify themselves to you.

The act can't last for long and they get bored before the first quarter is over. They are dying to talk to guys and respond well to teasing since they know as well as I do that their interest in the game is all an act.

-Even if you don't like football, get on your phone and learn something about the game or a quasi-obscure player. Ask a girl about it and tease her about being a fake fan when she has no idea who or what you are talking about. Make fun of her team if its not the local one.

-Guys are bro-ing out and getting sloppy. It's a contest to see who can get the drunkest and say the loudest, most obscene shit at the TV. A man on a mission can approach really easily and get great results. Girls will be relieved to meet a "fan" who isn't wasted or an idiot.

-Sitting at the bar is totally acceptable and is a great way to meet girls. At big sports bars, I get there early and get a good seat at the busiest part of the bar. Once it starts filling up, scooch over into the guy next to you so there's a gap where small, slender people (girls) can sneak in and order a drink. Automatically screens fatties and drunk assholes. Then talking to her is a lay up.

-Wear something besides you're local team's jersey. And hey, it's OK if you let them know that you don't care about football. That will raise some curiousity.

Personally, Sunday Funday and Monday Night Football is my time to shine. The most important thing to do is stay motivated for that pussy while the big game is on...the opportunities are EVERYWHERE.

I make a point of telling girls that I could give a shit about what is on the television. When they ask I tell them my day is busy with reading, playing guitar, cooking gourmet meals, working overseas, traveling the same, and occasionally drinking a beer. This sets me apart from most of the guys there.

You can find them. Some are staring blankly at the screen, trying to fit in the crowd, or talking amongst themselves. It's not hard. Some of these are neighborhood bars, and are close to the girls' houses, or they followed a group of friends there. The guys are distracted, so you have a window.

When a girl is yelling and screaming at the t.v., like a stupid man, I lose any attraction anyway, and obviously we've nothing to talk about. Not even enough for me to close.

Quote: (10-09-2012 06:13 PM)americanbk Wrote:  

Quote: (10-08-2012 08:57 PM)panache Wrote:  

The most important thing to realize is that girls going to a sports bar have no intention of meeting guys.

This is 100% not true, at least in my experience in my American (NJ and DC) experience. Girls don't give a shit about football no matter what they say or what stats they saw that morning on sportscenter. They come to the bar at noon all dressed up in their stupid Victoria's Secret football jersey and are usually made up pretty well. They want to be the fun, sporty chick who they think every guy loves. They scream at the TV, name 1 of the 3 players they know over and over, and will talk your ear off about how big of a fan they are if given the opportunity. Girls know dudes don't give a fuck about them on Sunday; most men are there to watch the game and eat wings. Girls who go out anyway are looking to display value and impress guys with their fun-ness, and it is a great opportunity to get them to qualify themselves to you.

The act can't last for long and they get bored before the first quarter is over. They are dying to talk to guys and respond well to teasing since they know as well as I do that their interest in the game is all an act.

-Even if you don't like football, get on your phone and learn something about the game or a quasi-obscure player. Ask a girl about it and tease her about being a fake fan when she has no idea who or what you are talking about. Make fun of her team if its not the local one.

-Guys are bro-ing out and getting sloppy. It's a contest to see who can get the drunkest and say the loudest, most obscene shit at the TV. A man on a mission can approach really easily and get great results. Girls will be relieved to meet a "fan" who isn't wasted or an idiot.

-Sitting at the bar is totally acceptable and is a great way to meet girls. At big sports bars, I get there early and get a good seat at the busiest part of the bar. Once it starts filling up, scooch over into the guy next to you so there's a gap where small, slender people (girls) can sneak in and order a drink. Automatically screens fatties and drunk assholes. Then talking to her is a lay up.

-Wear something besides you're local team's jersey. And hey, it's OK if you let them know that you don't care about football. That will raise some curiousity.

Personally, Sunday Funday and Monday Night Football is my time to shine. The most important thing to do is stay motivated for that pussy while the big game is on...the opportunities are EVERYWHERE.

I mostly disagree with the above comment except for The act can't last for long and they get bored before the first quarter is over.
9 times out of 10 women at sports bars from my experience in Washington, DC are either in mixed groups with more guys than girls, have boyfriends and a rooting for their team, or as the case in my favorite sports bar by 18th street in DC tend to come for the Sunday food specials such as half prized burgers or $2 buds. They are only receptive if you talk a bit about the game and their favorite player but as soon as they see you are hitting on them and talking about personal stuff they turn the cold shoulder [Image: sad.gif]
Also, they tend to leave very quickly and rarely is their attention span long enough to last more than a couple quarters. I still believe that best places to meet women in awful cities like DC is at weekday happy hours in upscale lounges. Warning though, that after 9pm these places turn to sausage fests as well.

Quote: (10-09-2012 06:13 PM)americanbk Wrote:  

They come to the bar at noon all dressed up in their stupid Victoria's Secret football jersey and are usually made up pretty well. They want to be the fun, sporty chick who they think every guy loves. They scream at the TV, name 1 of the 3 players they know over and over, and will talk your ear off about how big of a fan they are if given the opportunity. Girls know dudes don't give a fuck about them on Sunday; most men are there to watch the game and eat wings. Girls who go out anyway are looking to display value and impress guys with their fun-ness, and it is a great opportunity to get them to qualify themselves to you.

Those bitches are really starting to get on my nerves. It wasn't so bad back when they realized they didn't know what the fuck they were talking about and just tried to be cool because they were hanging with the guys, but now they yell out the most annoying, inane shit.

I also think picking up women during football contributes to men women becoming more manly and men becoming more womenly. Not a big fan of the concept, myself.

Quote: (10-13-2012 12:35 PM)Catch 22 Wrote:  

I also think picking up women during football contributes to men women becoming more manly and men becoming more womenly. Not a big fan of the concept, myself.

Can you break that down a little for me? I don't understand how it makes men more womanly [Image: huh.gif]

Team Nachos

I probably shouldn't go there. Might offend the non-sports fans. But I tend to think of sports as events that men go to for the sport. So women start going but don't watch the sport, they're there to chat and whatever. Very womanly. I personally see men going to watch sports not for the sport but to chat and whatever as also acting kind of womanly.