rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Ethnic restaurant dates (order for the win)

This thread is for sharing our favorites from all our cultures. The stuff you can order at pretty much any ethnic place in a sit down atmosphere on a date.

Specialty drinks. Yes!

Beers and wine. Yes!

My best advice is avoid Indian food on dates, although I love it and it's one of my top 5 favorite cuisines, it always finds away to give me wicked gas, and indigestion, something about all the curries. It can definitely fuck up your game, or maybe make your date feel "less than sexy."

Honey wine at Ethiopian restaurant.

Quote: (10-07-2012 09:26 PM)OGNorCal707 Wrote:  

My best advice is avoid Indian food on dates, although I love it and it's one of my top 5 favorite cuisines, it always finds away to give me wicked gas, and indigestion, something about all the curries. It can definitely fuck up your game, or maybe make your date feel "less than sexy."
Ok that's really not what I had in mind. Pick something from the menu and post it that makes you more sexy.

My favorite Greek dish is "Youvetsi" it's giant orzo with tomato sauce and chunks of tender lamb or beef. Many real Greek places make it and keep it off the menu. Give it a try..
[attachment=8047]
I'm not big on Ouzo because it's disgusting but will sip it chilled but never more than one shot due to the epic hangover it will give you.

Quote: (10-07-2012 09:37 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

My favorite Greek dish is "Youvetsi" it's giant orzo with tomato sauce and chunks of tender lamb or beef. Many real Greek places make it and keep it off the menu. Give it a try..

I'm not big on Ouzo because it's disgusting but will sip it chilled but never more than one shot due to the epic hangover it will give you.

That looks fucking delicious. I know almost nothing of Greek food, except for the episode of Anthony Bourdain when he goes to the Greek islands. The food he ate looked killer.

The Quebecois specialty: a big greasy plate of poutine with lots of Fin du Monde beer, best eaten after a night of heavy boozing in Montreal.

[Image: gwtg2vld1]

[Image: 4583weogz]

I don't really do dinner dates. I'll occasionally let a chick accompany me to get some food that I like, but I'm a picky motherfucker. That said, most stuff I like totally fucks with my stomach.

Top of the list is Thai. If anyone's interested I can put together a pretty baller list of the best restaurants in Los Angeles. For Thai check out:

Ruen Pair (good all around. They don't specialize in anything but across the board it's solid)

Pa Ord (you better have a fucking high tolerance to heat. I thought I did and then I came here and they redefined what spicy means. Get the boat noodles, the duck noodles, and the crispy pork with broccoli and a side of rice w a fried egg)

Night+Market (some of the best Thai i've had. The pork blood larb is amazing, crispy rice salad, crab fried rice, grilled pork collar, fried pork tail, khao soi gai, it's all good here)

Sushi in L.A. is fucking top notch. None of that california roll bullshit, you're best off spending some coin and going somewhere decent, sitting at the bar, and telling the sushi chef "omakase". Basically he'll give you a tour of the best stuff he's got. I recommend Kiriko, Zo, and Mori.

Great Mexican here. Al pastor tacos from Leo's or Rico's for a buck each, can't beat it. Great Oaxacan food at Monte Alban, goat barbacoa and stuff like that.

...I could go on for days...

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Here's a "best of" of my favorite eats in Los Angeles. This is stuff that, whether you're a resident or visitor, should try at least once:

Langer's Pastrami:
[Image: d523d7e6aa359df773672cec52b91a22]

Khao soi gai (thai chicken curry w crispy noodles and pickles):
[Image: khao-soi.jpg]

Ba Mee Bped Nahm (thai duck noodle soup)
[Image: aeca4d44-3b83-3861-bcf8-1cb95988a61f_xl.jpg]

Kew teuw leur (thai boat noodles)
[Image: thai-boat-noodles-2-300x204.jpg]

Larb Lanna (thai ground pork salad with blood and liver)
[Image: 111227161038.jpg]

Tacos al pastor from Rico's (marinated pork roasted on a spit w/ a slice of pineapple)
[Image: ricosalpastor.jpg]

Korean BBQ at Park's:
[Image: 2327211535_37af55b391.jpg]

Mole Negro from Monte Alban (chicken in dark chocolate/chile sauce) [Image: MonteAlban_RedMole.JPG?__SQUARESPACE_CAC...5366439772]

Pho (Vietnamese beef soup flavored with star anise too many places to list)
[Image: Nong-La%20Pho.jpg]

Banh Mi (vietnamese sandwiches)
[Image: 04sandwich-michelman-tmagArticle.jpg]

I didn't even get into the Chinese food...we probably have the best Chinese in the country.

I think Los Angeles might be the ethnic food capital of the U.S. If anyone wants any more food recs hit me up.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

yeah, i'm over dinner dates for the most part...but I will at small shared plate spots. the thing is most of my guy friends won't go to eat dinner at these spots and its kind of weird to eat solo at a place where you are supposed to share plates. its the way to go. tons of shared plate type places in LA. lots of ethnic influences, fusion, etc.

Lazy Ox Canteen downtown is on point for shared type of foods. Its all over the place, spanish, asian, etc Went there the other night, great stuff. grilled octopus, carpaccio, etc.

Manhattan Beach Post is in the same type of vibe....meal there was life changing good. Vietnamese pork jowl, maple bacon biscuits, etc.

Also like A-frame (japanese fusion picnic). Sunny Spot (same owner) too but the food was way too spicy (carribean style shared plates)..great drinks too.

both places (most places with this kind of vibe) have GREAT brussel sprouts, goes great with some good beer.

I've been doing Robata (grilled meats and veggies) lately too. Robata-ya on Sawtelle was great...and a few other spots. Also love Honda-ya. Shared small plates again, and the one in little tokyo has a GREAT authentic Japanese drinking spot vibe to it.

Main points...small portions, something that goes well with booze and something that won't make you (or your date) smell.

Just moved back to LA. Will check this out. Thanks dude!
Any recommendations for good paella?

Quote: (10-07-2012 10:36 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

I don't really do dinner dates. I'll occasionally let a chick accompany me to get some food that I like, but I'm a picky motherfucker. That said, most stuff I like totally fucks with my stomach.

Top of the list is Thai. If anyone's interested I can put together a pretty baller list of the best restaurants in Los Angeles. For Thai check out:

Ruen Pair (good all around. They don't specialize in anything but across the board it's solid)

Pa Ord (you better have a fucking high tolerance to heat. I thought I did and then I came here and they redefined what spicy means. Get the boat noodles, the duck noodles, and the crispy pork with broccoli and a side of rice w a fried egg)

Night+Market (some of the best Thai i've had. The pork blood larb is amazing, crispy rice salad, crab fried rice, grilled pork collar, fried pork tail, khao soi gai, it's all good here)

Sushi in L.A. is fucking top notch. None of that california roll bullshit, you're best off spending some coin and going somewhere decent, sitting at the bar, and telling the sushi chef "omakase". Basically he'll give you a tour of the best stuff he's got. I recommend Kiriko, Zo, and Mori.

Great Mexican here. Al pastor tacos from Leo's or Rico's for a buck each, can't beat it. Great Oaxacan food at Monte Alban, goat barbacoa and stuff like that.

...I could go on for days...

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

Personally, I think SF has better chinese food than LA, but I am being v. nitpicky.

Van Nuys, check out Sam Woo BBQ... http://www.yelp.com/biz/sam-woo-bar-b-qu...-van-nuys.
Famous for their Roast Duck.

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

Quote: (10-08-2012 01:06 AM)DVY Wrote:  

Personally, I think SF has better chinese food than LA, but I am being v. nitpicky.

Van Nuys, check out Sam Woo BBQ... http://www.yelp.com/biz/sam-woo-bar-b-qu...-van-nuys.
Famous for their Roast Duck.

I can recommend places in the san gabriel valley that will change your mind real quick. Whether or not SGV is considered "L.A." is up for debate, but I think it blows SF out of the water. That said, I do love Chinatown in S.F.

Paella, okay now that's something we're not going to have compared to what you get in Spain. There's actually a restaurant called La Paella on La Cienega but I haven't been and can't vouch for it.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Quote: (10-08-2012 12:30 AM)PartyonBro Wrote:  

yeah, i'm over dinner dates for the most part...but I will at small shared plate spots. the thing is most of my guy friends won't go to eat dinner at these spots and its kind of weird to eat solo at a place where you are supposed to share plates. its the way to go. tons of shared plate type places in LA. lots of ethnic influences, fusion, etc.

Lazy Ox Canteen downtown is on point for shared type of foods. Its all over the place, spanish, asian, etc Went there the other night, great stuff. grilled octopus, carpaccio, etc.

Manhattan Beach Post is in the same type of vibe....meal there was life changing good. Vietnamese pork jowl, maple bacon biscuits, etc.

Also like A-frame (japanese fusion picnic). Sunny Spot (same owner) too but the food was way too spicy (carribean style shared plates)..great drinks too.

both places (most places with this kind of vibe) have GREAT brussel sprouts, goes great with some good beer.

I've been doing Robata (grilled meats and veggies) lately too. Robata-ya on Sawtelle was great...and a few other spots. Also love Honda-ya. Shared small plates again, and the one in little tokyo has a GREAT authentic Japanese drinking spot vibe to it.

Main points...small portions, something that goes well with booze and something that won't make you (or your date) smell.

Some good ones there, I'd recommend all those. A Frame is one of my favorite places, period. Their chicken and cornbread salad is bomb.

If you like izakaya or robata, check out izakaya bincho. Small little mom n pop place, you'll dig it.

Also if you're into Ramen there's the classic Daikokuya downtown, always solid (though not worth the wait when it's busy), there's Robata Jinya on 3rd which is really solid, and probably the best Ramen in the city at Tsujita on Sawtelle. The vietnamese place next door, Nongla, is really good too (kind of upscale but good), and you've got a good izakaya up the street called Sasaya. There's good sushi at Kiriko just south of there, but it can be a little pricey (but good sushi always is). The food at FuRaiBo kind of sucks but it's fun to get hammered there and eat all that greasy shit. Lots of cute jap girls.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

If you're ever in Vegas go to Jaleo at the cosmopolitan they have great Paella (and great food overall...again, Tapas).

Quote: (10-08-2012 01:16 AM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

Some good ones there, I'd recommend all those. A Frame is one of my favorite places, period. Their chicken and cornbread salad is bomb.

If you like izakaya or robata, check out izakaya bincho. Small little mom n pop place, you'll dig it.

Also if you're into Ramen there's the classic Daikokuya downtown, always solid (though not worth the wait when it's busy), there's Robata Jinya on 3rd which is really solid, and probably the best Ramen in the city at Tsujita on Sawtelle. The vietnamese place next door, Nongla, is really good too (kind of upscale but good), and you've got a good izakaya up the street called Sasaya. There's good sushi at Kiriko just south of there, but it can be a little pricey (but good sushi always is). The food at FuRaiBo kind of sucks but it's fun to get hammered there and eat all that greasy shit. Lots of cute jap girls.

Yup. I've been to Tsujita for the Tsukemen...really really good. Also a fan of Ramenya and the famous ramen shop in the Mitsuwa on Venice/centinela (ate at the new tempura restaurant there last week...bomb)

I work on the westside so end up at sawtelle alot (I go to Blue Marlin the most probably...love their jidori chicken and also their daily specials). I've been craving some good Shabu Shabu as well, but not really a fan of Mizu 212....like the places in Little Tokyo (esp the one in the Japanese Village Mall).

Yeah..I love the food in LA and how cheap it is. One of my favorite things about living here (and there are quite a few).

delete

Quote: (10-08-2012 01:11 AM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

Paella, okay now that's something we're not going to have compared to what you get in Spain. There's actually a restaurant called La Paella on La Cienega but I haven't been and can't vouch for it.

I vouch for La Paella, my family dines here every other year for birthdays. In short, the paellas are top notch. Most of them have seafood in them and have little differences so for the paella noob I recommend picking one paella dish with seafood and another one with meat and vegetables. If you want to be adventurous, try the paella with squid with the rice blackened by squid ink.

Never been to Spain, but my parents who traveled and had paella there say it's on point in taste and quality. Small intimate romantic space like you're dining in someone's living room (actually it's a house with a restaurant inside), so making a reservation is recommended.

However, it's gonna cost you. About $100+ if you're 2 people having 2 types of paella + sangria + tip. Better check their website/menu beforehand. And just like many places in LA, parking is a bitch so bring change for the meters.

La Paella

Thanks guys. Will try to make my way down this list of delicious looking restaurants. But I second the previous sentiments, its hard finding people who are willing to even pay to eat at these places. If anybody in the LA area wants an eating partner, would love to check out all these and more.

Quote: (10-07-2012 11:00 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

Khao soi gai (thai chicken curry w crispy noodles and pickles):
[Image: khao-soi.jpg]

Khao Soi is one of my favourite Thai foods but it's actually not that easy to find in a lot of Thailand. Plenty in Chaing Mai and the North but in Bangkok not that common. It's delicious. The crispy noodles, the pickles, the thick and spicy curry broth, incredible!

Several times now I've taken girls to Japanese Cafes for lunch, and I've found it's a winning formula. Good ones will have low prices, which is good if you decide to pay, as it reduces the significance of doing so. You also get to show a girl that you are worldly and cultured ('oh no, it's not just sushi...'). Lastly, teach her how to use chopsticks. This is the oldest trick in the book (I'm pretty sure this is in my father's repetoir), but the hand contact id great escalation.

Quote: (03-05-2016 02:42 PM)SudoRoot Wrote:  
Fuck this shit, I peace out.

I would put Houston's ethnic food scene up there with any city in the United States right now. Our China town is bigger than Los Angeles or New York's and the Mexican food down here blows anywhere out of the water.

Here's some of the great local eats:

Bone Marrow Pho from Pho Binh by Night:
[Image: attachment.jpg8098]   

Taco Al Trompo (Pineapple Marinated Pork) a Norteno al Pastor:
[Image: attachment.jpg8099]   

Peking Duck from Lucky Pot:
[Image: attachment.jpg8100]   

Braised Goat with Korean Dumplings with Spicy Ssamjang from Underbelly:
[Image: attachment.jpg8101]   

Roasted Bone Marrow with Toast and Parsley Salad from Feast:
[Image: attachment.jpg8102]   

Machi Cure from Uchi (Cured and Smoked Yellowtail, Yucca Crisps, Candied Garlic, Marcona Almonds, Golden Raisins): [Image: attachment.jpg8104]   

Sticky Toffee Pudding (my favorite desert ever) from Feast: [Image: attachment.jpg8105]   

Not from Houston, but delicious nonetheless:

Ramen Soup from Momofuku in New York: [Image: attachment.jpg8106]   

Some tasty looking food there. Vietnamese beef pho is a favourite of mines and that braised goat looks delicious. I quite like the Korean food I've tried, very tasty.

I love Asian food of all kinds but, for me, nothing will ever top my local Mediterranean dish:

[Image: f3a3bb615ad40a52d43990b02fdcdd34_view_l.jpg]
(Orada na roštilju s blitvom) (Grilled Gilt-head bream with cooked chard)

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Quote: (10-09-2012 04:19 PM)Farmageddon Wrote:  

I would put Houston's ethnic food scene up there with any city in the United States right now. Our China town is bigger than Los Angeles or New York's and the Mexican food down here blows anywhere out of the water.
I've heard California Mexican food doesn't come close to any Tex Mex. There's a place way off 59 north by Porter that has some shrimp enchiladas maaaaaan. I need to get the name for you. San Antone has the best Mexican food though [Image: icon_worship.gif]