rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How important has Prestige been in your life?

Anyone ever think about the value of reputation? Ex Ivy league/Oxbridge education, employment history at a famous company, etc.

Does it open doors a lot? Does it make getting that job easier, give you a leg up? Where in life does it help out? Ever get laid more readily because of it?

I'm interested in opinions, it seems like an important part of life, but hard to pin down.

Good question! I was just texting friends today to ask opinions on which car had more status. A top line Mercedes or Maserati.....Women are drawn to status and symbols of status that is for sure....

Read "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand.
She has a great view on this topic.

As for your question- prestige has
always been irrelevant to me

Couldn't care less.

I don't give two shits for myself.

If it helps me get money or bitches, great.

I've worked at some Prestigious restaurants that have helped me get both.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

I haven't really had any. The Nolan film though, that's made a pretty big difference in my life. That's sacrifice that a lot of people don't understand.

I think that Ivy League/Oxbridge DOES matter, but in subtler ways than most people think. On the one hand (assuming you're not old money and made it there on merit) you'll be networking with a much more affluent crowd, but as many will tell you that doesn't automatically mean you'll be accepted as one of them. Put succinctly, you'll get access to social circles... in which your Ivy League/Oxbridge education is absolutely not a distinguisher because everyone's got it.

...which isn't all bad, because having those contacts can be useful. Just don't think it's a free pass.

In social circles which are NOT full of Ivy League/Oxbridge sorts, it can be a dual-edged sword; if you're stupid enough to parade it like it's a prize, you'll come off as a prick. If you handle yourself with class and it emerges eventually that you have the background, you'll be doubly impressive--once for the background, and once for not letting it turn you into an ass.

In general, I'd view it as a net positive, as long as you don't think it's some sort of skeleton key that opens up every door in the universe.

Do you for you. Who cares about prestige.

Prestige doesn't matter as much as personal wealth.

In my opinion/experience, simply attending an Ivy League school doesn't open the doors it used to. There are levels of prestige within the ivy league school.

Many of the Ivy Leaguers who worked for me at my previous corporation came from normal middle class families and started out at my previous company at the same level as their peers from public universities. They were nothing special.

But families with money (real money) play on an entirely different level. They don't fuck around with million dollar companies. They have connections deep in the money pits - hedge funds, elite financial companies, etc. A rich kid goes from undergrad to MBA program to working as an analyst for a $50 billion fund manager because the manager knows the kids parents. Nothing new; that's the way it's always been.

Having a degree from a prestigious school will help you with companies that still pay attention to that kind of thing (e.g. Google). But with the tech/startup revolution we've been in for years, we've seen that education from Stanford or Harvard matters much less than a great idea and the business acumen to turn it into something big.

At the end of the day, money and fame are the game-changers. Money and fame will get you laid more than looks or any other factor. But if you're not rich and you're not famous then don't select your school, buy your car, and buy your clothes based on what might get you laid because you'll be disappointed.

Prestige is about setting a base.

No matter how you slice it "I went to Harvard" carries weight. Heavy weight with the right crowds. You're anchored as being "clean".

After that the importance dies off. Prestige is security. If you come from an ivy and survive 3-4 years with no real "blips" on your résumé. You never have to worry about job seurity again, because you are proofed. No different than the rep system on this forum or other piece of "social proof"

Survive that 3-5 year gap post college? You're proofed. Get laid off? You'll have head hunters on your ass that same damn day. See a better job? Your ass is first in line for an interview.

If you "flop" straight out of a good school, that prestige loses tremendous value.

It is a significant piece of life right now, the goal is move to a different level of proof though. Ie: fame.

Seems like Roosh might be getting fame. He shows up on a Google News search for his name. (accidentally hit "News" instead of search when navigating to the forum).

I hope he does become famous, more hookups and money for him.

We all have different roads to fame/success. All about being honest in where your skills lie and maxing out.

Even then, still not enough need to keep getting better.

Quote: (09-25-2012 01:09 PM)Spartan Wrote:  

Seems like Roosh might be getting fame. He shows up on a Google News search for his name. (accidentally hit "News" instead of search when navigating to the forum).

I couldn't care less. It's about what works most efficiently and effectively. Why do I like BMWs and Rolexes? Because the name represents quality engineering and world-class design. Maserati's may be cool...but all the car guys know that the Quatroportte for example is a terribly made car. Brands, schools, names don't mean shit.

HOWEVER...to many girls they do.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Prestige seems more tied in with ego, which to me is a waste of time. Going to Harvard is great but more important if you can turn that education into making money.
Women don't seem to value it unless it translates to something like status.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

If you didn't go to Harvard, Stanford, Cal, or an Ivy, you're not even getting a look at many places.

Most of my success has come from personal connects.

You go to an elite school, your connects are more elite. If you have friends earning 7, 8, or 9 figures, are you going to have better opportunities than if your friends are earning 5 or 6 figures?

Generally speaking, be as good looking, fit, smart, and rich as you can be and surround yourself with the same.

I went to a top 20 school (paid my own way) for a program that was rated number 1.

It opened all the doors in the world to me, eventually landing me my dream job as an international ibanker. i turned that job down, but thats another story.

i would not have ever even gotten past the resume screener if it wasn't for the name of the school on the resume.

guys that say its not worth a damn, i'm sure, don't have the same credentials.

with chicks? not so much.

Simply put he's trying to get people to agree with his beliefs.

1. Money doesn't matter live a simple life
2. Who cares about hard work an success, he believes because he got no girls when in school it means he won't get girls in med school too
3. Self doubt in his own ability to do both, which he can.

That's really what all the threads are about, fishing for validation. That mindset is of course directly bad for women. Paradox of sorts.

Agree that the school to money making ability transition is key but the more prestige the better. Great companies look almost exclusively at top schools for recent grad hires until they get that "proof" from other experiences. Why recruit at BC when you can recruit at Harvard and MIT and it takes the same amount of time/effort/energy? Just a part of the overall package as Mike said.

The more time I spend on this forum the more I realize it's a unique place due to emphasis on improvement of all aspects of a man's life. Great.

Fame and prestige might not mean the same. That Snookie girl is famous.

That said, both fame and prestige can be useful. That Snookie girl can charge 50k just for showing up.

I hope I have the right understanding of what prestige is.

Prestige has been very important in my life. One of the more important things.

I was a poor kid but I went to school and played ball with many rich kids. They respected my abilities. I earned the respect of the prestiges community. To this day, they help me. They give me jobs. I have fucked many of their daughters. They provide me access to the upper classes that I otherwise wouldn't have.

If i didn't earn the respect of the prestiges people in my area, my life would be very different.

It's nice to have friends in high places.