rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What kind of phone for overseas?

Alright guys, I waited in a short line this morning to get the iphone 5 but by the time I got to the front, the fuckers didn't have any in stock. I was banking on having the phone to use in Europe next month since Verizon will unlock it and I can pop in a local sim.

Verizon isn't shipping orders online until October 19th (I'll be gone by then).

So now I need a plan B.

I'm thinking of just picking up a cheap dumb phone once I get to Europe and using it for local calls/texting. I don't think I'll need data (will have laptop and ipad with me) so considering skipping the smart phone and saving money.

What do you guys think? Dumb phone for the win?

I have a droid razr here in the states but the thing is worthless to me outside the U.S.

Someone posted this google world phone once. Check it out but I would just you an iphone 4 unlocked since I'm a fanboy.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Google-Unl...B00546IF8E

I'd go for an u locked iPhone 4. Especially now that the iPhone 5 came out you can probably find a cheap 4 online. I got a pay as you go sim card in Europe with telenor. It costs ~$20 for the month for unlimited Internet, 3000 minutes and 3000 texts. Plus $20 to call international, send picture messages, etc. Can't beat it.

Quote: (09-21-2012 08:56 AM)el mechanico Wrote:  

Someone posted this google world phone once. Check it out but I would just you an iphone 4 unlocked since I'm a fanboy.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Google-Unl...B00546IF8E
That phone looks good, but if I pay $450, I should probably just find a way to get the iphone 5. Although I'm going to look at iphone 4 and see if I can score a used one at a reasonable price.

Quote: (09-21-2012 09:01 AM)RenewalMan Wrote:  

I'd go for an u locked iPhone 4. Especially now that the iPhone 5 came out you can probably find a cheap 4 online. I got a pay as you go sim card in Europe with telenor. It costs ~$20 for the month for unlimited Internet, 3000 minutes and 3000 texts. Plus $20 to call international, send picture messages, etc. Can't beat it.

$20/month for unlimited data, 3k mins and 3k texts? That's the cheapest I've ever seen. Will look into it today. I hope you're right!

Ok, so you guys got me on the iphone 4s kick. Since I'm with verizon, I can just get the verizon version and they will unlock it for international use. Cheaper than buying a fully unlocked version.

Checking craigslist now.

Quote: (09-21-2012 09:25 AM)Smitty Wrote:  

Ok, so you guys got me on the iphone 4s kick. Since I'm with verizon, I can just get the verizon version and they will unlock it for international use. Cheaper than buying a fully unlocked version.

Checking craigslist now.
I don't think so. Just get an unlocked iphone. Verizon uses a funny band and I don't think they have sim cards. I'm not 100% on that

Quote: (09-21-2012 09:28 AM)el mechanico Wrote:  

Checking craigslist now.
I don't think so. Just get an unlocked iphone. Verizon uses a funny band and I don't think they have sim cards. I'm not 100% on that

That's typically true because Verizon is CDMA (vice GSM) but they unlock the iphone 4s for all bands if you want to use it internationally...so you can pop in a local sim and use it..but can't come back to the states and use on another provider's network such as AT&T.
I hate U.S. carriers.

Quote: (09-21-2012 09:31 AM)Smitty Wrote:  

Checking craigslist now.

That's typically true because Verizon is CDMA (vice GSM) but they unlock the iphone 4s for all bands if you want to use it internationally...so you can pop in a local sim and use it..but can't come back to the states and use on another provider's network such as AT&T.
I hate U.S. carriers.
I looked at a verizon iphone the other day and didn't see a sim slot. I think
https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/699357
Fuck them anyway just buy your phone outright. Also that world phone can be found for 200 or so

verizon is garbage overseas. I tried, many times.
t mobile is king in most of Europe

if you want budget just buy a burner phone and throw in a sim card
you have to charge the sim card with money, and texts cost money, but then again everything does.
If you can get an unlocked iPhone 4 and afford it, that's what I would go for.

Quote: (09-21-2012 09:44 AM)el mechanico Wrote:  

Quote: (09-21-2012 09:31 AM)Smitty Wrote:  

Checking craigslist now.

I hate U.S. carriers.
I looked at a verizon iphone the other day and didn't see a sim slot. I think
https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/699357
Fuck them anyway just buy your phone outright. Also that world phone can be found for 200 or so

That's right, the verizon iphone 4 doesn't have a sim slot and can't be used overseas on other carrier's networks (with local sims).

The verizon iphone 4s does take a sim and can be unlocked to be used on all networks overseas. And it's a little cheaper than buying an unlocked 4s, that's why I was considering the verizon one.
From what I'm seeing, the unlocked 4 is the same price as the verizon 4s (on craigslist).

To add a new twist, just called a verizon store and they have a few iphone 5 in stock. Fuck me.

Having a crap phone WILL hurt you as a player. Smart phones are good for taking notes and keeping records of your text rolls so you don't get confused with different girls. This is amplified X50 with a language barrier. Don't skimp on this move.

I was reading Mixx's iphone thread on the NN forum he said you can't travel with the 5. Why would you want a contract phone if you're going to travel anyway. Again Fuck Verizon! Forget them. Buy your shit outright

I had my iphone unlocked this seek I'm going to Europe on Sunday. ATT iphone 4 has the sim slot. I plan to display my Iphone 4 prominently while in Ukraine, see if that gets them wet or not.

Ok, I found an iphone 5 at another verizon location and ended up buying it. Apple is not selling the unlocked versions of the iphone 5 and based on the past it will be about a month before they hit the market. I paid $199 for the upgrade. I'm ok with keeping Verizon (even though I hate them) because they give the best national coverage which helps a lot if you travel in the U.S.

The real test will come when I try to use this thing overseas next month. Apparently it uses a new sim type and it might be hard to find.

Quote: (09-21-2012 12:55 PM)Smitty Wrote:  

Ok, I found an iphone 5 at another verizon location and ended up buying it. Apple is not selling the unlocked versions of the iphone 5 and based on the past it will be about a month before they hit the market. I paid $199 for the upgrade. I'm ok with keeping Verizon (even though I hate them) because they give the best national coverage which helps a lot if you travel in the U.S.

The real test will come when I try to use this thing overseas next month. Apparently it uses a new sim type and it might be hard to find.
Mixx wrote this on the other forum

Nobody gets iPhone 5 UNLOCKED IPHONES at the moment.....nobody. In Canada you pick Rogers/Fido or Bell/Virgin if you buy from Apple store. I already checked. When apple decides to sell unlocked iPhone 5's, I'll let you guys know. It will likely spill on to Thanksgiving (USA) before unlocked models are sold thru Apple stores.

One more thing.......There are 2 iPhone 5 models. A EU model named A1429 that supports LTE only in Europe, and A1428 that supports LTE in North America and Asia.

LTE will not work worldwide on a single, unlocked Iphone 5! If you truly expect to use LTE bands worldwide, then you will have to buy the 2 unlocked IPhone 5 models below:

Américas/Asia:
GSM model A1428: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 4 and 17)

EUROPE/Australia:
GSM model A1429: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5)

Those of you on Verizon and Sprint:

You cannot talk and surf the web at the same time with these carriers on their CDMA iPhone 5! You will have to use any other phone to talk and surf at the same time, not the iPhone 5! Then again, if you are using Verizon or Sprint, you are stuck with an iPhone 5 that will only run in USA!

In USA, only AT&T's network allow IPhone 5's to talk and surf at the same time.

Mixx is right about the LTE bands so anyone with a Verizon iPhone 5 will only be able to use LTE in countries that operate the same frequency, but Verizon and Spring share common LTE frequencies with the rest of the world. Those with AT&T will have difficulty finding LTE overseas. More info on that here: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/wan...-from-att/

Mixx is wrong when he says "if you are using Verizon or Sprint, you are stuck with an iPhone 5 that will only run in USA!" That's not true because the Verizon iPhone 5, which is a CDMA phone, will operate on GSM networks overseas. This essentially means that I can take the iPhone 5 overseas and pop in a local sim on any network and be just fine. The only big concern is finding the new nano sim that this iphone uses.

Really, it's all good to me because I paid $200 and when Apple releases the unlocked version in a month I can just sell this one for $600 or so and then buy the unlocked version.

The heat and humidy factor can effect smartphones. Places like the Caribbean, Okinawa, or the Middle East can take a toll. Iphones hold up, and there are some rugged Android out there.

http://www.zimbio.com/New+Mobile+Phones/...ble+Market

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2381435,00.asp

Smartphones tend to run hot, so take that into consideration. AMD laptops won't sell in the DR due to the processor running hot and burning out prematurely.

Whatever you do make sure you have a good phone that works as soon as you land. Playing games with phones with a language barrier sucks ass.
Also I had two unlocked and jailbroken iphones in the DR and they still need some different kind of tweak to work there. That google phone looks like a good back-up travel phone to have.

Verizon and Sprint will unlock your SIM card slot. You just call them and they do it. Also, they will only unlock your phone after you've been a customer for 90 days or something the details are easily google-able. this is to prevent resales, etc.

However, its a NANO SIM that they use in the iphone 5, it may be more difficult finding a pre-paid sim out of the country for that. The Iphone 4S uses the Microsim. It is my understanding you really can't "cut" the sim card for the nanosim anymore to make it fit in the slot like you could with the previous one.

If you're on AT&T they won't unlock your phone. You'll have to jailbreak it, but then you can't do all the updates and sometimes they mess up the GPS function.

One thing I highly recommend is getting the Skype Wifi application. With it you can use a lot of pay networks like Gogo/Boingo or whatever is in the country you'll be with paying a flat rate per minute (instead of always buying a full day pass in every airport you go to). REALLY useful.
http://www.skype.com/intl/en/features/al...kype-wifi/

In my experience its useful to have data on your phone. sometimes travelling girls will use things like facebook chat and whatsapp to contact them when you arrange to meet up or something. its easier than texting in many cases. and getting on wifi networks when you're out and about. easiest and cheapest option now is to buy an unlocked iphone 3 or 4...the 4 will cost a lot more but a lot of early adopters for the 5 are likely dumping them. having a good camera on the phone is pretty essential so I'd reco the 4...it'll just cost like $150-200 more.

Quote:Quote:

$20/month for unlimited data, 3k mins and 3k texts? That's the cheapest I've ever seen. Will look into it today. I hope you're right

Yea, the other great thing is you can turn on wifi hotspot and have a phone that doubles as mobile 3G router.

FYI re Verizon.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/24/verizon...er-locked/

Quote: (09-21-2012 02:26 PM)PartyonBro Wrote:  

Verizon and Sprint will unlock your SIM card slot. You just call them and they do it. Also, they will only unlock your phone after you've been a customer for 90 days or something the details are easily google-able. this is to prevent resales, etc.

However, its a NANO SIM that they use in the iphone 5, it may be more difficult finding a pre-paid sim out of the country for that. The Iphone 4S uses the Microsim. It is my understanding you really can't "cut" the sim card for the nanosim anymore to make it fit in the slot like you could with the previous one.

If you're on AT&T they won't unlock your phone. You'll have to jailbreak it, but then you can't do all the updates and sometimes they mess up the GPS function.

One thing I highly recommend is getting the Skype Wifi application. With it you can use a lot of pay networks like Gogo/Boingo or whatever is in the country you'll be with paying a flat rate per minute (instead of always buying a full day pass in every airport you go to). REALLY useful.

In my experience its useful to have data on your phone. sometimes travelling girls will use things like facebook chat and whatsapp to contact them when you arrange to meet up or something. its easier than texting in many cases. and getting on wifi networks when you're out and about. easiest and cheapest option now is to buy an unlocked iphone 3 or 4...the 4 will cost a lot more but a lot of early adopters for the 5 are likely dumping them. having a good camera on the phone is pretty essential so I'd reco the 4...it'll just cost like $150-200 more.

Can you tell me the differenct b/t the Skype app and the Skype wifi app? I have both and only use the regular app both on and off wifi.

Also, used iphone 4 can be had for ~$200 now, down from ~$260 about 6 months ago. Expect that to come down more as 5's hit the market.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

You can just cut the regular sim down and it fits in the nano sim tray, lots of you tube vids on this.

Don't try a dumb phone, made that mistake in colombia, going from iphone to dumb phone makes sending texts etc like torture. Your phone is your main tool so invest!

Quote: (09-24-2012 01:57 PM)presidentcarter Wrote:  

Quote: (09-21-2012 02:26 PM)PartyonBro Wrote:  

Can you tell me the differenct b/t the Skype app and the Skype wifi app? I have both and only use the regular app both on and off wifi.

Also, used iphone 4 can be had for ~$200 now, down from ~$260 about 6 months ago. Expect that to come down more as 5's hit the market.

The Skype wifi app basically uses your skype credit and charges you like 10 cents per minute for internet access at "pay" wifi hotspots around the world. basically saves you the trouble of having to create a new account, log-in, etc.

This is how I used it:

For example, say you are travelling from USA to Italy with a stopover in London. I was able to log on to the wifi hotspots at Heathrow and in Italy airports with a flat per minute rate versus entering a credit card for each of them and using their daily minimums. Its great if you are in another country and need to check email, messages, facebook, etc but have a quick connection. You can also use it on your laptops too..but not on androids right now unfortunately.

Wow ok so it's not just skype. And this only works at certain I guess you could say "skype-enabled" wifi spots ie in airports, etc?

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Yeah. Basically the app tells you if the hotspot is skypewifi enabled. or there's a finder of network providers around the world on their website. a bit harder to come by in the cities though. but great for international airports. good for laptops too if you happen to bring one for doing emails too. maybe some of the malls had it but i never really checked all that much.

just checked, rate changes in each country i guess. http://www.skype.com/intl/en/features/al...-skypewifi