rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Getting a Custom Suit for $350

Getting a Custom Suit for 0

A lot of you guys are looking to step up your style game and do it on a budget. If you've ever questioned whether or not doing a custom suit through Indochino is worth it, I got mine this week and did a review of it on Masculine Style.

Long story short, Indochino is not without their problems, but I think they're worth looking into. You get a well-cut, custom suit at a Men's Warehouse price.

Men's Style Consultant
http://www.masculine-style.com
The better you dress the worse you can behave.

$350 is not enough but I suppose Kenneth Cole is your best bet.

I recently bought two custom made wool suits in Bogota for that exact price (650K pesos), I also picked up 5 customs shirts at 100K each. I was happy with the quality, design and service.

If anyone is looking for a good tailor in Bogota, I recommend Guillermo Ortiz, Cr5 18-53 Bogota, (57) (1) 3365535

Quote: (09-20-2012 01:12 PM)tstyle Wrote:  

A lot of you guys are looking to step up your style game and do it on a budget. If you've ever questioned whether or not doing a custom suit through Indochino is worth it, I got mine this week and did a review of it on Masculine Style.

Long story short, Indochino is not without their problems, but I think they're worth looking into. You get a well-cut, custom suit at a Men's Warehouse price.

Sup with the loose thread hanging from the left pocket?

Quote: (09-20-2012 03:04 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Quote: (09-20-2012 01:12 PM)tstyle Wrote:  

Sup with the loose thread hanging from the left pocket?

When you get a new suit all the jacket pockets are sewn shut. That was just a leftover thread from when I opened them up.

Men's Style Consultant

Decided to bump this thread. Finally picked up my suit today. Been waiting on me for a week now. First suit, as I tried it on it felt a bit different. After 5 minutes in it I feel good. No place on post in Kuwait to rock it but I'll be back in country within 30 days so I'm ready.

I'm 5'6" 160 pounds. I got measured but he didn't have the measurements when I picked it up just now. Let me know of any adjustments I need please. I'm going to cop another 2 suits and 2 sportscoat/blazers so I need serious critiques. I might hit up Masculine style before my next order to get his opinion. Appreciate the help.

First is the blazer. My next post will be the actual suit. 400 for everything. Suppose to be English cotton. A little thick. I think the material has a great feel to it.

The cycle of disrespect can start with just an appetizer.

Blazer looks pretty decent to me, how much are you getting just the jackets for? I need to take a trip to the Middle East and get some fucking suits.

Is that jacket ventless?

Men's Style Consultant

I tried a shirt and chinos from Indochino, and I have to say... for whatever reason, the measurements I used for them gave significantly shorter results (in sleeves and trouser legs) than those same measurements submitted to ModernTailor, which is frustrating, as I really thought we were using their guide correctly. I've heard others (such as you folks) getting good results, so I'm not sure what the fix is, but the trousers I got are really too short to be useful (to be fair, measurements were done by my girlfriend, because my local tailor refused to do measurement cards; I feel certain that I can find a more cooperative tailor here).

Are you satisfied with what you've gotten from ModernTailor?

Quote: (12-13-2012 12:08 PM)tstyle Wrote:  

Is that jacket ventless?

I was going to ask the same thing.

It could be side vents that are still sewn shut and we can't see.

Sharp jacket all in all, the buttons kind of make it almost a "high two".

@TexasMade- Did you get that made at Fitwell's?

My Indochino remake is at the post office right now, going to pick it up after the gym. The quality of fabric for the price is surprisingly good (I ordered the essential black). My first-timer measurements were a little off, but overall feel of the custom-made suit is incredible (even my tailor noticed it). I also got the monogram, collar stitching, and bright color lining. My friend got three suits for about the same price (buy one, get two free), but they look like they are from salvation army. If this suit works out, I may go all custom like back in the day. There are Indochino equivalents for shirts and shoes too.

It is ventless. My suit jacket has a center vent or single vent. The buttons are real high. Thats the first thing I notice when I tried it on.

Ali I got the suit made on AJ. They are restricting our off post trips but I have an O6 in my pocket so I am good to go off for my last month.

I have to upload the suit. I am not satified at all. The jacket has too much room, the shoulders extend at least a 1/4 inch too far and the sleeves are a bit longer. The pants aren't tapered and long. I can get them to hem the pants to break right at my shoes but even then the pants have too much room and are a bit thin. Can the tailor adjust my pants to make them a bit thinner? From my waist to mid thigh is perfect but from mid thigh down has alot of room.

Overall I am very happy with the blazer but the suit without adjustments might be a waste. I may talk to the tailor, tell them my concerns and get one more suit made. As far as the blazers, I cop another 3 at least.

Should blazers be vented? Appreciate the feedback.

Quote: (12-13-2012 04:45 PM)TexasMade Wrote:  

It is ventless. My suit jacket has a center vent or single vent. The buttons are real high. Thats the first thing I notice when I tried it on.

Ali I got the suit made on AJ. They are restricting our off post trips but I have an O6 in my pocket so I am good to go off for my last month.

I have to upload the suit. I am not satified at all. The jacket has too much room, the shoulders extend at least a 1/4 inch too far and the sleeves are a bit longer. The pants aren't tapered and long. I can get them to hem the pants to break right at my shoes but even then the pants have too much room and are a bit thin. Can the tailor adjust my pants to make them a bit thinner? From my waist to mid thigh is perfect but from mid thigh down has alot of room.

Overall I am very happy with the blazer but the suit without adjustments might be a waste. I may talk to the tailor, tell them my concerns and get one more suit made. As far as the blazers, I cop another 3 at least.

Should blazers be vented? Appreciate the feedback.

It is really all personal preference.

Out of curiosity, why did you go without vents? Did you have a reasoning? Or is that just how they did it?

I think on blazers, and suits for that matter that double vents look best.

That is my preference.

I do have a few blazers with center vents. Maybe a suit with center vent as well. I recently got rid of a bunch of suits.

I slipped when I went in. Straight brain dump when I went through the measurements and pictures. I didn't do proper research, but now that I have my first one. I will make sure to go in knowing exactly what I want. He did ask me about the vents. I dont know why I didn't get them on the blazer. I'll make sure to get with the double vents on my next 3 blazers.

My suit is navy blue. Should I go with solid black, midnight blue, or black with pinstripes? What material would you recommend for Spring and Fall weather? You see how dark I am so I don't know what works with my skintone.

Quote: (12-13-2012 01:18 PM)_GQ_ Wrote:  

Are you satisfied with what you've gotten from ModernTailor?

Yes, with the caveat that I like the fit and look of the one shirt I've bought from them (I tried a few online tailors) but I don't think the fabric was as advertised (I chose a linen/cotton blend and it sure as heck doesn't feel like linen and is much thinner than I'd hoped).

Still, the fit was good and I found their customization to be more extensive than others. For the price I was very pleased, but keep in mind the small sample size.

(similarly, I had good results with Ravis after doing their "traveling tailor" thing; bought a shirt, trousers, and jacket that all fit well and are fairly well made. On the other hand, I've heard horrific reviews of them by some people--just like I hear great things about Indochino and want to try them again even though my initial experience wasn't so great).

Honestly, so far my best use of clothing money has been secondhand shops. It's a bit of a pain, but I've scored great blazers from Hugo Boss, Valentino Uomo, Ede & Ravenscroft, etc for about $60 apiece, many of which fit nicely enough to require no modification, and scored some great leather brogues in good shape for about $80. Great way to experiment at low cost with a variety of looks. I probably jumped to online tailors a bit early and should have experimented at this level a bit more.

(I'm also very average build, so off-the-rack slim-fit shirts actually fit really well, making the advantage of made-to-measure a bit less compelling--but it's still nice).

I also want to say again: Indochino, ModernTailor, Ravis et al are great, great resources, but what you are getting is a made-to-measure suit, not a custom suit, even if you can "customize" it. A custom suit is a much more involved beast. I'm not knocking made-to-measure (I think it's maybe the best price-to-result ratio), just know that there's another level up.

Quote: (12-13-2012 10:52 AM)_GQ_ Wrote:  

Blazer looks pretty decent to me, how much are you getting just the jackets for? I need to take a trip to the Middle East and get some fucking suits.

Look into it. It could save you a lot of money, or at least "pay" for the trip with the savings. The ME is an interesting place to visit.

I've been to the ME before, just not Kuwait or to buy suits.

A friend said the same quality can be had in Amman. I'll confirm that soon and get back to you. My mother is well versed in sewing and fabric quality. She inspects all I bring back, and greatly admires the craftsmanship.

@TexasMade- I'm pretty sure the guys that come to AJ work out of the same mall as Fitwells. It's a huge place, with the tailors upstairs, and all the fabrics retailers downstairs.

Quote: (12-13-2012 05:05 PM)TexasMade Wrote:  

I slipped when I went in. Straight brain dump when I went through the measurements and pictures. I didn't do proper research, but now that I have my first one. I will make sure to go in knowing exactly what I want. He did ask me about the vents. I dont know why I didn't get them on the blazer. I'll make sure to get with the double vents on my next 3 blazers.

My suit is navy blue. Should I go with solid black, midnight blue, or black with pinstripes? What material would you recommend for Spring and Fall weather? You see how dark I am so I don't know what works with my skintone.

Don't feel bad my man.

Learning what you like with suits is a learning experience. It took me so many suits to figure out what I really like.

And it is still evolving.

Also, Frank Sinatra and Cary Grant wore sport coats with out vents in movies.

So you are in good company.

Now go post up at a high end bar, and start spitting Game to the girl ordering a Martini.

Let me know how it goes.

Quote: (12-13-2012 05:10 PM)Stitch Wrote:  

I also want to say again: Indochino, ModernTailor, Ravis et al are great, great resources, but what you are getting is a made-to-measure suit, not a custom suit, even if you can "customize" it. A custom suit is a much more involved beast. I'm not knocking made-to-measure (I think it's maybe the best price-to-result ratio), just know that there's another level up.

Very good points.

And you don't sweat it if you spill a little vino on your Suit.

Texas Made - the blazer seems to have too much loose material in the back, it should look smoother. The arms look a little short but it could be the pic, I believe the jacket should come to your wrist. It could also be that your shirt is too long, so it could be giving that allusion.
I would look at a medium grey suit or a black with pinstripes, I believe the most popular material is the super 100s which is all season.

Last new years, I wore an all black suit with a white shirt. Had a few pics taken and I looked like a limo driver, so once my black suit is worn out I will not buy another one.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

Quote: (12-13-2012 06:24 PM)rudebwoy Wrote:  

Texas Made - the blazer seems to have too much loose material in the back, it should look smoother. The arms look a little short but it could be the pic, I believe the jacket should come to your wrist. It could also be that your shirt is too long, so it could be giving that allusion.
I would look at a medium grey suit or a black with pinstripes, I believe the most popular material is the super 100s which is all season.

Last new years, I wore an all black suit with a white shirt. Had a few pics taken and I looked like a limo driver, so once my black suit is worn out I will not buy another one.

It looks kind of wrinkly, like it was shipped in a box or something. Which it may have been?

It could use a trip to the tailor but it is hard to tell.

The sleeves could be too short or dead on. Most guys wear their sleeves too long.

Pictures are tough to get a good read.

Quote:Quote:

last new years, I wore an all black suit with a white shirt. Had a few pics taken and I looked like a limo driver

Ha. Yeah, you probably picked a bad night for that combo.

Keep in mind though, Tom Ford always wears Black Suit/White Shirt/ White Square and looks sharp.

I don't really bust that style though.

Were you wearing a square?

It could have made the look better.

G - Nah man I wasn't rocking a square, I had a white shirt and nice black zegna tie. I need to pick up a polka dot square.

What are your thoughts on peak lapels? Is that a fad or here to stay.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com