rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Mike Birbilgia -- Triumph of the beta male?

Have you guys seen the trailer for Mike Birbiglia's movie, Sleepwalk With Me? It's being promoted as a film about stand-up comedy, specifically Birbiglia's "stalled career."

When I saw the preview, I was disgusted by the persona that Birbiglia projects. He's refined the personality of an awkward, goofy, unassertive guy into a comic schtick, and in the process I think he's enforcing ideas of how guys should be these days -- namedly, emasculated beta males.

Here's the trailer:

Trailer for Sleepwalk With Me

Even the first part of the trailer, where he's mocking people who ask him if his story is true, reeks of beta-ness, with its over-the-top, goofy impersonation of other people. He simply lacks the fundamental self-respect and dignity that a man should have. He's not funny. There's not a single funny line in this trailer.

It doesn't surprise me that the film a "This American Life Film," because I find that exact same whiney, emasculated, politically correct and mincing example of feeble half-manhood is represented by Ira Glass.

The implicit message is for guys to be tame, self-effacing, goofy, and insecure. Notice the scene in the trailer where the prospective father-in-law essentially calls him out for being a timid, indecisive, milquetoast loser? Why is it that assertive alpha males are invariably depicted as stodgy old people in movies?

What's also funny about Birbiglia's beta male character is how spot-on it is with a certain segment of elite media culture. This dipshit Birbiglia has had all the advantages -- exclusive prep school education at a private boarding school, college at Georgetown, and yet in his career he chooses to portray himself as a befuddled, silly, hapless fool. It's pathetic.

How come the alpha characters are always the old man? Oh and btw.

Nice thread loser!

Sorry. No, I really like it it's nice. [Image: angel.gif]

Nope.

Quote: (09-17-2012 08:23 PM)Humanist Wrote:  

He's refined the personality of an awkward, goofy, unassertive guy into a comic schtick, and in the process I think he's enforcing ideas of how guys should be these days -- namedly, emasculated beta males.

So, Woody Allen?

I listened to a podcast about Mike Birbilgia. I agree he seems a little weak. I have a similar sleeping condition (parasomnia) that I have a struggled with for about 10 years. I seem to have a grasp on it now.