rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Starter Suit

Starter Suit

Hello forum

I did some research on the forum on what should a first suit be, and different types of suits, and couldn't find any threads.

I am thinking about buying a new suit, one that can be used for night game and interviews and/or work environment.(Something that doesn't look too corporate that i can wear at a bar or club) I'm currently under a budget, and found several stores like Zara and HM that sell economical suits.

For this purpose, what type of suit or store, and what type of colors (navy,black,grey) should I look for to narrow down my research?

Essentially which suit can is most versatile for different occasions?

Starter Suit

Quote: (09-07-2012 10:08 PM)Barca_0087 Wrote:  

Hello forum

I did some research on the forum on what should a first suit be, and different types of suits, and couldn't find any threads.
You mean like this one, started by Roosh himself?
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-7427.html

Starter Suit

Buy a black/dark grey, solid color, two button, narrow lapel suit.

Starter Suit

Hit up the guy over at masculine style. It was the best $15 I ever spent. I wish I would have done that years ago when I was first buying suits and shirts. He will give you a good idea of what colors to wear and patterns to match your face and body. Plus he isn't a homo so the style will be tailored to game women, not flamers

Regardless of what you buy, make sure you find a skilled tailor to get it customized a bit to fit better. Those guys can work wonders and can make most suits look like custom $5000. Only difference is it won't last as long. Plus it doesn't really cost alot to get a jacket resized. Probably 40 bucks at most if you find one that fits well off the rack to begin with

" I'M NOT A CHRONIC CUNT LICKER "

Canada, where the women wear pants and the men wear skinny jeans

Starter Suit

The most versatile suit is a solid navy blue or charcoal gray two button with notched lapels. 100% wool. It's a basic wardrobe element- a must have really.

For the office , wear it with a white or blue shirt and conservative tie. For clubbing, wear a more colorful or patterned shirt. Either go open collar or wear an edgier tie. Pocket square, of course. You can create great looks once you learn how to coordinate colors and patterns

Avoid black for a first suit-it is not acceptable in most traditional business environments

And get the suit fitted by a good tailor

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

Starter Suit

Quote: (09-08-2012 02:12 PM)MrXY Wrote:  

The most versatile suit is a solid navy blue or charcoal gray two button with notched lapels. 100% wool. It's a basic wardrobe element- a must have really.

For the office , wear it with a white or blue shirt and conservative tie. For clubbing, wear a more colorful or patterned shirt. Either go open collar or wear an edgier tie. Pocket square, of course. You can create great looks once you learn how to coordinate colors and patterns

Avoid black for a first suit-it is not acceptable in most traditional business environments

And get the suit fitted by a good tailor

Why is black not acceptable for business environments? What situations is it for then?

Also, is it better to buy it in a set or buy each item separately and put it all together?

FYI I'm looking for a suit for business networking events in NYC.

Starter Suit

Quote: (09-08-2012 03:35 PM)chakri Wrote:  

Why is black not acceptable for business environments? What situations is it for then?

Also, is it better to buy it in a set or buy each item separately and put it all together?

FYI I'm looking for a suit for business networking events in NYC.

Read a book, i'd recommend something by Alan Flusser. I've heard good things about this one, http://www.amazon.com/The-Suit-Machiavel...0060891866

Usually a suit meant to do everything isn't good at anything.

An evening suit should be cut more modern (fits like a second skin) and have more flare (peak lapels, narrow lapels, odd colored button holes), the exact things that aren't good for interview suits/work suits, unless you're in sales or in creative.

And like i've said before, if you're at a bar or a club, having some chick spill her fruity drink on your expensive suit will get you out of the mood. Believe me, i've been there.

- black is not acceptable for business. In the light of day and in contrast to grey and navy, it looks really severe. This rule does not apply to women.
- black is for evenings, night weddings, late dinners, and night life (and wait staff, valets, and butlers)

- buy things separately.

I suggest you start with a dress shirt that fits you perfectly. This is much harder than most people think, but most folks don't care that much about how they look.

When you buy your suit, you will at least need to have the jacket cuffs altered. Ideally, you only show 1/4 inch of your sleeve. After that, you can finish the look with tie, belt/shoes/wallet/watch band, hat, tie bar, cuff links, whatever floats your boat.

- If you're in NY, it depends on your budget

1) Century 21 or Daffy's or any of the other discounters.

2) Mr Ned's if you want to spend a small amount on a custom suit. I think you can get out of there for less than a G and pretty much blow any other suit out of the order.

Keep in mind most easily available bespoke suits are 4-10G's, 3 fittings, and 3 months to construct. (and the stuff made in South East Asia doesn't compare. HK yes, Thailand, no)

NYC is lucky to have a lot of West Indian tailors who trained on Savile Row, but if you're not Jamaican or Caribbean, you'll have a tough time finding them.

3) But given what you've said in this thread so far, your ideal is more of a GQ/Esquire, not one of a serious dandy or someone with a job where everyone else wears a suit. I'd try SuitSupply if you're dead set on being "cool". It's on Broome in Soho.

I wouldn't do an Indochino or any of the internet/mail order suit companies until you actually know what fits you and what you like.

4) If you want to wear a suit to work,or to an interview, stay the fuck away from Zara, H&M, Banana Republic, or J. Crew. You can get a much higher quality Calvin Klein/Ralph Lauren/Hugo Boss @ Macy's. (also avoid K&G, Jos A. Banks, and Menswearhouse). And you can't go wrong with a business suit from Brooks Brothers. But if you're rocking Brooks, skinny eastern european chicks aren't going to check for you.

WIA

Starter Suit

WIA

Why don't you like J Crew? Just durability?

Starter Suit

Quote: (09-08-2012 09:08 PM)Menace Wrote:  

WIA

I judge a suit on
- materials
- construction
- style/design
- fit (how it fits me)
- price

I give J. Crew high marks for material, but the construction isn't there. You're getting a fused jacket - the exterior is basically glued to the interior. A quality jacket has 3 layers, interior, canvas, and exterior - each time you wear a good jacket, the canvas/horsehair conforms to your body.

The style and design, that's personal choice.

But IMO, if you're not tall, thin and model-like, their suits don't look that good on most people. Put a guy with some pudge in that suit, or a short guy, or a muscular guy, and those suits just don't even look right. (and lol @ a fat guy wearing anything in that store)

As for fit - that's also a personal consideration, in that every body is shaped differently, even if 2 people have the same basic chest measurements.

But the real objection is the price

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/suiti.../44455.jsp

Jacket - 595
Pants - 295

You're buying a suit separate for 900 dollars.

You can buy a custom suit in ny for 850

http://mrnednyc.com/?page_id=4

I was heavily into clothes when I first got into the practice, so take my words with a grain of salt. But I wouldn't mess with most of the mall brands, unless I had money to burn.

If you want a going out suit, i'd say most of the low price options are fine. But if you're gonna try to get a cool suit, you can do much better for 900.

WIA

Starter Suit

Choose something classic for your first suit. The idea is you can switch it up with different shirt, tie, shoes. The suit blends into the background, meaning people don't notice you're wearing the same suit several times over.

I prefer dark gray, but your ideal color depends on your skin tone.

To do it well, you'll need part of your budget for a couple of different shirts, ties, a good belt and some shoes. Don't go cheap on these details.

Concentrate on the fit and that you feel comfortable in it. Look for 100% wool in the suit. Avoid polyester or it will look cheap.

If you buy off the rack, don't alter the jacket except for the sleeve length. If the jacket doesn't fit right, keep looking until you find something.

Check across the shoulders at the back. Vertical lines between your shoulder blades means the suit is too loose. Horizontal lines means too tight.

You can get your nightlife look by combining with more aggressive shoes and a good choice of shirt + tie.

Pay attention to sale seasons, probably once or twice per year.

Starter Suit

TK max dude, get an out of season top end suit. Go a few weeks in a row until you get on in your size or buy one and get it tailored.

Starter Suit

Quote: (09-09-2012 08:43 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Quote: (09-08-2012 09:08 PM)Menace Wrote:  

WIA

I judge a suit on
- materials
- construction
- style/design
- fit (how it fits me)
- price

I give J. Crew high marks for material, but the construction isn't there. You're getting a fused jacket - the exterior is basically glued to the interior. A quality jacket has 3 layers, interior, canvas, and exterior - each time you wear a good jacket, the canvas/horsehair conforms to your body.

The style and design, that's personal choice.

But IMO, if you're not tall, thin and model-like, their suits don't look that good on most people. Put a guy with some pudge in that suit, or a short guy, or a muscular guy, and those suits just don't even look right. (and lol @ a fat guy wearing anything in that store)

As for fit - that's also a personal consideration, in that every body is shaped differently, even if 2 people have the same basic chest measurements.

But the real objection is the price

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/suiti.../44455.jsp

Jacket - 595
Pants - 295

You're buying a suit separate for 900 dollars.

You can buy a custom suit in ny for 850

http://mrnednyc.com/?page_id=4

I was heavily into clothes when I first got into the practice, so take my words with a grain of salt. But I wouldn't mess with most of the mall brands, unless I had money to burn.

If you want a going out suit, i'd say most of the low price options are fine. But if you're gonna try to get a cool suit, you can do much better for 900.

WIA

You are purposely throwing out the most expensive jacket and pants they have to make J Crew look way overpriced. The standard jacket and pants together cost 650$'s (425$'s for the jacket and 225$'s for the pants). It still is a little overpriced for what you are getting, but it is 250$'s cheaper than what you are saying the standard offerings of J Crew are.

Also, from what I've been reading, Hugo Boss suits and Calvin Klein suits (around the 200-600$ price point for the jackets alone) are both fused.

I was looking around styleforum and someone suggested Benjamin suits: http://www.ehaberdasher.com/servlet/Categories. These are fully canvassed and cost pretty much the same as J Crew suits. The only downside is that you cannot try it on to see if it fits properly.

Yeah, so getting suits starting out is pretty much a crapshoot. All I can say is, do not buy from Indochino. Everyone has been saying that their suits do not fit properly, even when given the proper measurements, and are constructed horribly.

Starter Suit

Google Harvey Specter.

Quote: (09-07-2012 10:08 PM)Barca_0087 Wrote:  

Hello forum

I am thinking about buying a new suit, one that can be used for night game and interviews and/or work environment.(Something that doesn't look too corporate that i can wear at a bar or club) I'm currently under a budget, and found several stores like Zara and HM that sell economical suits.

For this purpose, what type of suit or store, and what type of colors (navy,black,grey) should I look for to narrow down my research?

Essentially which suit can is most versatile for different occasions?

Starter Suit

WIA

What's your opinnion about Alfani Red from Macy's? For a starter modern office suit:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/alfan...intnl=true