rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Learn Spanish Like Crazy - lessons

Has anyone used "Learn Spanish Like Crazy" instructional program?

I definitely need to get off my lazy ass and try to learn spanish if I am going to increase my game in latin america. I have heard that LSLC (Learn Spanish Like Crazy) is better at teaching you conversational spanish and that Pimsleur just helps you in tourist situations. any thoughts? thanks.

I'm glad we got through to you. Sign up found a basic Spanish class at your local community college. If that's not a possibility, there should be a community center near where you live which offers Spanish classes. Aside from the classes, books such as En Breve can be helpful to learn the grammar. They can't help you with the accent, though. You should find a book which has an accompanying C.D. so that you hear what the words are supposed to sound like. I don't even know what Rosetta Stone is , but some other members may be able to provide some insight as to its effectiveness. Start buying groceries in Hispanic stores. Talk to people when you are in there. Start eating at a real Mexican or other Hispanic restaurant where noone speaks English at least three times per week. When you are there, please don't say stupid things like "they think I'm a state trooper in here." That will just hurt your situation. I heard some guy say that once and he ended up looking incredibly stupid. If you have any specific questions, I will do my best to answer them. I was trained as a Spanish teacher before going to law school, so I may be able to provide some assistance .

I have Learning Spanish Like Crazy. It's a good program and definitely worth buying. Got to stick with it daily.

I strongly disagree with the suggestion to take a basic spanish class the the local community college. I had 2 years of spanish in high school along with 1 semester at college and all of it was a complete waste of time.

I considered taking Portuguese classes at Emory or at the Atlanta Int'l Lanugage Institute for several hundred dollars. I came to the conclusion that with all the stuff available online (for free if you fileshare) as well as all the websites like livemocha and italki, you shouldn't need formal classes when going for conversational level. IMO it could actually hinder your progress as you focus more on conjugation and less on what's practical.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Quote: (08-28-2012 09:28 AM)presidentcarter Wrote:  

I considered taking Portuguese classes at Emory or at the Atlanta Int'l Lanugage Institute for several hundred dollars. I came to the conclusion that with all the stuff available online (for free if you fileshare) as well as all the websites like livemocha and italki, you shouldn't need formal classes when going for conversational level. IMO it could actually hinder your progress as you focus more on conjugation and less on what's practical.

I can honestly say that Roosh's approach is spot-on (at least in the beginning). I have learned more/feel like I know more Spanish in 4 months with Pimsleur and the Mardigal's book than all that classroom Spanish combined.

Now, upper-level, conversational Spanish courses are probably a lot better than the intro courses, but, at the end of the day, the popularity of Spanish as a language taken in college waters down the classes. For the most part, all of the sections will have the exact same syllabus with the instructor essentially having his hands tied with no discretion to teach in the way that he is most comfortable with. It is just easier for the university/department to organize this way. When I took Russian, which draws exponentially less students than Spanish, the teacher had his own syllabus, used his own methods, and naturally, I learned a lot more.

"In America we don't worship government, we worship God." - President Donald J. Trump

i need to learn that too. which program was best to you guys?

Quote: (08-28-2012 10:44 AM)JohnKreese Wrote:  

Quote: (08-28-2012 09:28 AM)presidentcarter Wrote:  

Why would you consider the two most expensive schools in Atlanta for language lessons?

Anyways, I had 2 years of Spanish in HS and 4 semesters in college. I can honestly say that Roosh's approach is spot-on (at least in the beginning). I have learned more/feel like I know more Spanish in 4 months with Pimsleur and the Mardigal's book than all that classroom Spanish combined.

Now, upper-level, conversational Spanish courses are probably a lot better than the intro courses, but, at the end of the day, the popularity of Spanish as a language taken in college waters down the classes. For the most part, all of the sections will have the exact same syllabus with the instructor essentially having his hands tied with no discretion to teach in the way that he is most comfortable with. It is just easier for the university/department to organize this way. When I took Russian, which draws exponentially less students than Spanish, the teacher had his own syllabus, used his own methods, and naturally, I learned a lot more.

Those were just the first two schools I came across and if did a class I'd want to make sure it was quality and not half-assed. Obviously a cheaper/less known school with positive reviews would be ideal.

Plus, $300 for 20 hours of instruction didn't seem terribly expensive (that's AILI).

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

All those books and programs dont really work. If you learn in only a class setting it will take years to get it.(if you ever do). Think about all the people who have minors in spanish and cant hold a conversation later. I have yet to meet a person who is even conversational who didnt either livedor long-term visit in a foreign country, or with native family, or studied in an immersion course. Look into immersion course in your local area. I only know of two, one in DC and one in some really really mexican town in Cali. YOu literally go to class, tutoring, and speaking workshops for months everyday after work or all day. But its basically the only method that works.

"All My Bitches love me....I love all my bitches,
but its like soon as I cum... I come to my senses."

Quote: (08-28-2012 12:44 PM)elabayarde Wrote:  

All those books and programs dont really work. If you learn in only a class setting it will take years to get it.(if you ever do). Think about all the people who have minors in spanish and cant hold a conversation later. I have yet to meet a person who is even conversational who didnt either livedor long-term visit in a foreign country, or with native family, or studied in an immersion course. Look into immersion course in your local area. I only know of two, one in DC and one in some really really mexican town in Cali. YOu literally go to class, tutoring, and speaking workshops for months everyday after work or all day. But its basically the only method that works.

I did two semesters of Spanish at Uni, the shit thing is i missed half the classes, I would say sign up to learn classes at a cummu8ntiy college, ONLY if you will attend every class and ONLY in the class is taught by a native speaker. I have been studying book alone for revision, the one big difference between being taught spanish in a classroom and learning it in a book, is that in a book you will just be repeating words like a Parot, this is NOT the way to have truly interactive conversations when you go to the country, you need to be able to for sentences. A book might tell you to say hablo ingleas, if you want to ask someone if they speak english, but it teaches nothing of verb conjugation and the many complexities of the language.

I dont know anything about immersion as I dont go to practice Spanish for real till the end of the year. But im guessing that could also be a good way to go, as you are just hearing it everyday and are forced to learn new words all the time and replete them constantly.

For those who say they dont rememebr spanish from high school, means nothing, who the fuck remembers anything from much high school. But I agree with what elabayarde said, if you dont go traveling and use the language in the real world you will forget it, and most of that that time spent learning it will be wasted.

Don't go to classes. Buy an online Spanish language program- learn as much as you can, and do things like watch Spanish movies with English subtitles. Netflix has a ton. Then, head to Latin America and you'll get better the more you speak it. You don't have to be perfect there- they'll appreciate the effort, and they'll know you're a gringo regardless.

Quote: (08-28-2012 09:22 AM)Big Nilla Wrote:  

I have Learning Spanish Like Crazy. It's a good program and definitely worth buying. Got to stick with it daily.

I strongly disagree with the suggestion to take a basic spanish class the the local community college. I had 2 years of spanish in high school along with 1 semester at college and all of it was a complete waste of time.

I hate group language classes. The class moves at the speed of the slowest person, and your speaking time and time being corrected by the teacher is divided amongst everyone else in there.

I'm learning spanish now before my big trip. I haven't payed for anything.
I've downloaded some courses, but mostly I use online resources.

http://spanishflashcards.tripod.com/
Excellent to test yourself.

http://www.studyspanish.com/lessons/serest1.htm
Quick way to learn grammar.

I basically googled "learn spanish" "interactive spanish".

Found so many good sites and torrents, not even considering paying. Have downloaded pimsleur for free, will check it out later.

Here's was how I went about it. I went through every single Pimsleur lesson which I found for free at the library. I got the Easy Spanish Reader book and a phrase book, and studied them for like 20-30 minutes a day.

I have friends who are Puerto Rican and Dominican and practiced speaking with them. There are also meetup groups where people get together to practice if you don't know anyone.

Also I'd put on the tv and watch univision.

I went into this with better background than most people since I grew up speaking another romance language. I still consider myself a beginner, but I can have basic conversations in Spanish. Native speakers tell me that I speak and pronounce very well, but my vocabulary is still somewhat limited.

There's really no easy way to do it. I think the ovveriding factor is the level of dedication. Pick a method and execute it for 30 minutes to an hour every day for the next year.

I've been using the pimslear audio programmes and at the same time using the free website http://www.duolingo.com. My Spanish is definitely improving.

I learned Spanish by taking a two year Spanish program from a California community college. At that time, the tuition was cheap, the instructors good, and they offered the classes at night. One of the instructors I had actually wrote the textbook. I prefer the old textbook method of learning to some of the new methods which intentionally deemphasize grammar.

Rico... Sauve....

I find the Rosetta stone program very helpfull, both with intruducing me for the turkish languege and refreshing my spanish. Suave!!

Went from dead silence to speaking with the locals in one month. Reason: Duolingo.com and local girlfriend who only speaks spanish. Also offline dictionary and verbs on the phone.

For me that feels amazing.

I like duolingo a lot, and it's free. but nothing is as good for learning spanish fast as a latina in your bed!!!