rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Who's the source of "I know, right?" and "Really?"

Coming across multiple girls who speak exactly the same, even the same cadence, and almost seem mimics of each other. Which makes me think they're all apeing some Hollywood star they see on TV.

Who's the source of "I know, right?" and the sarcastic "Really?"

I want to call them out and say, "Oh, you're such a little <insert name here>."

Update: Appears to be first from the old 2004 film "Mean Girls", and modern writers appear to keep reusing it in homage. Apparently both "Gilmore Girls" and "How I Met Your Mother" use it from time to time.

"Oh, you're such a little Regina George." appears to be the pop cultural reference.

"Alpha children wear grey. They work much harder than we do, because they're so frightfully clever. I'm awfully glad I'm a Beta, because I don't work so hard. And then we are much better than the Gammas and Deltas. Gammas are stupid. They all wear green, and Delta children wear khaki. Oh no, I don't want to play with Delta children. And Epsilons are still worse. They're too stupid to be able to read or write. Besides they wear black, which is such a beastly color. I'm so glad I'm a Beta."
--Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

I think these are just generic listening cues. So they know ,you know, they are listening to you.

"really" comes from that snl skit

thats so funny, can be added to the list also

shoot my damn brains out

Good luck finding the original sources of these phrases. They have been around for decades.

When you finish this project, see if you can find out who invented "whats up?"

haha, Giov said it all. They are just mannerisms and social filler words..ie indicators of "clique" which then get diffused out to the rest of society.

I'm guessing you are an older guy and you heard this from a chick in her 20's..because basically everyone I know talks this way.

Quote: (08-01-2012 02:17 PM)Feo Wrote:  

haha, Giov said it all. They are just mannerisms and social filler words..ie indicators of "clique" which then get diffused out to the rest of society.

I'm guessing you are an older guy and you heard this from a chick in her 20's..because basically everyone I know talks this way.

Why would you willingly hang out with people like that?

I use them. I guess they are a substitute when you don't have much to say

I've used "really" just before throwing a punch.

Most people I know 25 or younger say "I know, right?" constantly. Here's language log's entry on it:

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=3057

Maybe it comes from Mean Girls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LORyEX_5czg

I don't remember "Really?" when I was in college. Seems somewhat new.

I've consciously eliminated most of my American filler slang. People actually think my accent isn't American. They're so used to hearing "like" every other word.