rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Foods that cause acne

Foods that cause acne

I'm 20 and I get alot of acne.

I notice that these types of foods tend to increase the amount of acne I get:

-Milk
-Pizza (probably most greasy shit)
-Soda (coke, sprite, etc)
-Gummy bears, sour keys, sour patches (yeah I love that shit)
-Pretty much anything with alot of sugar in it. Not sure about fruits
-Nuts? (don't eat nuts too often, so not sure)

I know this isn't ground breaking but.. Anyone have something to chime in about acne and diet?

Foods that cause acne

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-ad...z21fc9BbI8

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Foods that cause acne

Switch your milk from 2% to skim milk. I guarantee you will see a difference. That's what I did a year ago and haven't looked back.

Eating oily food for more than 1 day in a row gives me acne. Food such as pizza, burgers, anything deep-fried (french fries, breaded wings, etc), and any asian food.

I eat sugar a lot ... sometimes. Not sure if this makes a difference to me. Some people say it does.

Foods that cause acne

There's a good book out there, "The Clear Skin Diet." Science-based.

Foods that cause acne

Void - I typically don't trust any website which sells the product for the problem.

For example, they will tell you their research of what the main causes of the problem are, and Voila!, we offer you a product which has the solution to these made-up causes.

Try to play around with food. Drinking a lot of water (1.5-2 litre/day) and downing a spoon of fiber (psylium husk) after a nasty and oily meal helps a lot.

Foods that cause acne

I stopped drinking milk altogether 2 weeks ago (Even soy milk - apparently it increases estrogen levels which makes you fat, or something).

My skin got MUCH better for a week. I also stopped eating shit like ice cream and sour candies, gummy bears, etc. I wonder how much of an effect milk has on acne?

Quote: (07-25-2012 04:00 PM)alphaspiraton Wrote:  

Switch your milk from 2% to skim milk. I guarantee you will see a difference. That's what I did a year ago and haven't looked back.

Eating oily food for more than 1 day in a row gives me acne. Food such as pizza, burgers, anything deep-fried (french fries, breaded wings, etc), and any asian food.

I eat sugar a lot ... sometimes. Not sure if this makes a difference to me. Some people say it does.

Foods that cause acne

pizza.

Foods that cause acne

Go to a dermatologist.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Foods that cause acne

Sometimes I eat fast food and greasy shit for weeks straight while my face is smooth as a baby's ass. Sometimes I stick with protein food and home cooked meals for weeks straight and I'm breaking out bad. I don't really believe the food myth....

Foods that cause acne

Over eating anything omega 6 (seeds, nuts, vegetable oils) and milk tend to cause acne. Iodine in seaweed might trigger it as a side effect of getting rid of a certain chemical that starts with a B. Bromide maybe?

Foods that cause acne

Dairy is a major culprit, eat clean.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

Foods that cause acne

I had a lot of acne from 16-18 and I would try anything and everything to get rid of it. I was constantly washing my face. I think it depends on your skin type. Mine was oily.

Some Tips:

1. Drinking an ass-ton of water.

2. I. Rotating facial cleansers. Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash was my default.

II. Steam helps, when I could, but I rarely did that.

III. Exfoliated once in a while with a fine, mild exfoliant.

Cleaning Method:

A.) Wash hands.
B.) Rinse face with warm to mildly hot water in order to open the pores.
C.) Massage cleanser in for a minute.
D.) Rinse off with warm water.
E.) Rinse again with very cold water to shock face and close pores.
F.) Pat lightly with a clean towel.
G.) Take a cotton ball soaked in a bit of toner to face -- a mild toner with no alcohols or bad chemicals.

3. Never touching the face with hands or really anything else but a clean towel or Hankerchief.

4. Tea tree oil for spots.

5. Reviva Labs Glycolic Acid Cream; I would apply this maybe 3x per week at night before bed with clean hands. In the morning wash face and what it does is strip dead layers off and clean up the bacteria in there.

6. Running and other exercise helped flush my skin of toxins.

7. Evian Mineral Water Spray; This is probably the gayest thing ever and actually my uncle, who is gay, introduced me to it. Wish I had found it sooner. Rather than use harsh tap water, you can spray this whenever and keep your face hydrated and also avoid touching it.
Caveat emptor: Wouldn't do that shit in public.

8. It helped me to massage the face every once in a while with clean hands to de-stress and help release toxins. Stress causes breakouts.

Avoid:

9. Any greasy food or sweets were guaranteed to mess my face up. I was practically vegetarian and seriously monitored what I ate. Superfoods.

10. Stayed away from generic soaps that would dry out my skin too much and then my skin would overcompensate with oils.

Summary: The end game of all the treatment was to keep my face clean, and to balance and regulate the natural oil levels so it wasn't too dry or oily. It was a lot of work and basically a whole new lifestyle and I felt my face was worth the effort; it's what the whole world sees.

By 19-20 I had my acne really under control and now it doesn't exist  and I dont have to do any of that stuff anymore. It's a matter of basic maintenance now. I'm 25.

Foods that cause acne

Will my acne never go away if I'm 25 and still dealing with it?

Foods that cause acne

Quote: (07-26-2012 12:05 AM)houston Wrote:  

Will my acne never go away if I'm 25 and still dealing with it?

Houston, I can't say I'm an expert on this in any way, but..

1.How bad is it and how frequently does it occur?
2.What's the history of it?
3.What treatment you are using and does it work.
4.Do you have a daily regimen and is that working?
5.What's your skin type?
So if you could answers those questions I might have some suggestions for you to try.
6.You mentioned going to a dermatologist. What did they say?

From what I understand, though, is that acne is caused by a hormonal imbalance, which adds a whole other dimension to treatment involving hormonal medication and stuff like that which I have no experience in but, say, you were taking testosterone supplements. That could be a clue. Or if you were taking a lot of soy products, for example, or are vegan. That might be the cause or contributing factor.

Foods that cause acne

Quote: (07-25-2012 10:30 PM)houston Wrote:  

Sometimes I eat fast food and greasy shit for weeks straight while my face is smooth as a baby's ass. Sometimes I stick with protein food and home cooked meals for weeks straight and I'm breaking out bad. I don't really believe the food myth....

It's a myth. Foods don't have much to do with your acne.

As a person who obsessed about acne for years, applying all sorts of ointments, tea tree oil, ACV, taking supplement, getting rid of grains etc.
my acne finally went away on its own.

It's mostly hormonal, and it also shows up during times of stress. Other than that, it went away on its own.

Trust me. I"ve read and tried so much shit from acne.org it's ridiculous. It's a huge waste of money and time.

Foods that cause acne

Quote: (07-25-2012 04:02 PM)alphaspiraton Wrote:  

Void - I typically don't trust any website which sells the product for the problem.
then why are you on this board/roosh. probably bought bang too.
MDA is exactly the same. except that every information that is in the book can be found on his blog too + huge community board

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Foods that cause acne

My tried and true method of keeping your face clear and smooth:

If my is a little puffy, I put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now.

After I remove the icepack, I use a deep pore-cleanser lotion. In the shower, I use a water-activated gel cleanser, then a honey-almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb mint facial masque which I leave on for ten minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine.

I always use an after-shave lotion with little or no alcohol because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm, followed by a final moisturizing "protective" lotion...

Since we're not all the American Psycho, if you have a Kroger around, buy the orange "Acne Scrub" and apply it on your face in the shower. I have turned multiple friends onto it and they all love the results. I would also suggest incorporating some anti-oxidants into your diet; natural is better, but I take "now: super antioxidants" that I bought online. Keeps your skin clear and smooth and gives you an overall feeling of "health"

"In America we don't worship government, we worship God." - President Donald J. Trump

Foods that cause acne

I only get acne when I've been taking hot showers for a week or more.
Just take cold showers, and then every other day at the most. You can wash your head, hands, and face every day. Skin also can't get continually raped by loofas. Always disrupting the outer layer of skin leaves it susceptible to shit like acne.

Also for whatever reason, whenever I sweat regularly (in this damned heat, literally gallons), my skin looks great.

Not sure about the diet thing to be honest. I eat and drink more full-fat dairy than probably half of this site. The only thing I really avoid is wheat, soda, and processed food.

Foods that cause acne

Half of this stuff is wives'-tale-like myth and medieval science. Acne is caused by skin chemistry, rest, and a multitude of other factors. For some people oily skin causes acne. For others, it's dry skin. You can't guess which food is causing it, because food doesn't cause it. You may stop eating something and your acne goes away, but you have no way of creating a scientific control to make sure you didn't inadvertently change some other thing that may have helped (washed your pillow cases, for instance).

Go. To. A. Dermatologist.

Foods that cause acne

The food-acne connection is not a myth. What you eat effects every part of your body. What you eat effects every organ in your body. Your skin is your biggest organ. Food effects the liver, the heart, the blood, etc. How can it not effect the skin?

Thats like a bodybuilder saying food doesn't effect his muscles!

Food feeds your muscles. Food supplies your energy. Water is essential to the body. Sugar and useless carbs go straight to your belly. Your diet effects everything in your body. Why is it so hard to believe that diet effects your skin?

I had bad acne for years, nothing would help it. I studies it for years. There is not one single cause. It a variety of factors. Its mostly genetic. Its mostly luck.

All you can do is try is identify the triggers that cause flare ups. You can minimize flare ups by identifying your triggers. You can find some foods to avoid and some foods to help calm the acne.

For me, the foods I learned to avoid were:

Fast food and sugar. These things caused breakouts. Especielly, in combination with lack of sleep, lack of sunlight, and dirty pillow cases. I learned to rinse my face quickly after each workout or ball game.

The greatest thing I learned to control my acne were these things:

Alot of water
Fresh vegetable juice

Fresh, organic vegetable juice everyday cleared up my acne better then anything else. But not just the juice by itself. I also got better at changing my pillow cases, and washing my face twice a day with a mild soap. Fresh, green salads with lots of tomatoes, onions and avocados help alot too.

So, its not just one thing or one food. Its always some combination of things. Honestly, other then food, the biggest factor for me to control my acne is going to bed early. The body repairs itself at night. It produces growth hormone at night. If you are awake after midnight, your body can not repair itself. This is the same reason body builders preach alot of sleep. Muscle is built during sleep, skin is repaired during sleep.

Another thing that helped me is Apple Cider Vinegar. I learned about it at this website:

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/acne.html

Quote: (07-26-2012 10:41 AM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

Half of this stuff is wives'-tale-like myth and medieval science.

I disagree. Food is the most fundamental building block of a healthy body.

Remember the movie "Supersize Me". The guy ate Mcdonalds everyday and he almost died. That how much food effects your body.

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”

-Hippocrates

Acne is caused by skin chemistry

Skin chemistry meaning the acids, oils, and proteins, etc. that are in the skin. Guess where these things come from? You know, your food.

You can't guess which food is causing it, because food doesn't cause it.

90% of the time it is PARTIALLY caused by excess sugar, excess gluten, excess grease, excess dairy, a lack of fresh fruits and vegetables, lack of water, or some other specific food allergy.

Of course, like you said, food is not the only factor, its just part of the puzzle. Other factors could be pillow cases (like you mention), too much touching your face, not rinsing your face after exercise, etc.

you have no way of creating a scientific control to make sure you didn't inadvertently change some other thing that may have helped (washed your pillow cases, for instance).

I got pretty darn close to creating a solid scientific control of my skin. I cut out 99% of processed sugar, I eliminated 99% of processed foods, I eliminated 99% of gluten, I went to bed before 11pm, I changed my pillow cases every week, I drank a gallon of water a day, I washed my face twice a day, I moisturized everyday, I did a facial once a week, I got 20 minutes of sun on my face once a day or so.

I was aware all these factors. If I got a breakout I could almost determine the exact cause just by my lifestyle and food choices. If I don't drink acv and vegetable juice for about 10 days, I will notice my face getting more inflamed.

Its no different from a body builder. He charts all his meals and all his workouts and all his rest. A body builder can look in the mirror and see an area of fat that shouldn't be there and he will exactly know why it is there. He knows what he ate.

Go. To. A. Dermatologist.

Can't disagree here. Just make sure you find a good one who asks you about your diet. Not some hack who will just prescribe the latest magic pill that the pharmacological companies are pushing.

Remember accutane a few years ago? It worked great but it had some nasty side effects. Alot of people got fucked by using it. Dermatologists are just like regular doctors, sometimes they give you shit that cover up the symptoms but they don't actually fix the root problem.

The makers of accutuane have been sued and have paid out millions in damages.

http://accutanelawsuit-info.com/

In conclusion, I will say that diet is the reason 75 % of America is fat? We have an epidemic of diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, etc. We are killing ourselves with food. Shitty food.

We know it effects every part of our body.

How could it not effect your skin?!!?

I would check this out..

Quote: (07-25-2012 04:01 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

There's a good book out there, "The Clear Skin Diet." Science-based.

Foods that cause acne

Quote: (07-26-2012 04:13 AM)void Wrote:  

MDA is exactly the same. except that every information that is in the book can be found on his blog too + huge community board

Calm down skipper.

No need to be so defensive.

Re-read my post.

Foods that cause acne

Quote: (07-26-2012 04:13 AM)void Wrote:  

Calm down skipper.

No need to be so defensive.

Re-read my post.

Foods that cause acne

To those who say "food doesn't matter."

Eat some junk food today, the more the better.

Smell yourself over the next couple of days.

After a few days, eat nothing but vegetables and fresh juices.

You will smell differently.

So obviously the stuff you eat is going into your skin and through the pores.

If that's the case, wouldn't it make sense that junk food and healthy food would have different impacts on your skin?

Here's a nice research paper discussing the role vitamins and minerals play in skin health:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2836433/

Nutrition is one of the most important parameters that is involved in modulating skin health and condition.2,3 Some of our understandings come from the description of the cutaneous manifestations of nutritional deficiencies.4,5 In the 1970s, Vasantha et al.6 demonstrated that kwashiorkor, a severe protein/calorie deficiency, was associated with skin biochemical changes in children, thus providing an explanation for the occurrence of cutaneous lesions of this syndrome. More recently, the reduction of total melanin content of scalp hair has been reported to be a characteristic of malnutrition in children.7

The impact of malnutrition on skin health is also illustrated by skin changes (xerosis, hair effluvium, nail modifications…) observed in anorexia nervosa.8

Vitamin deficiencies whether due to malnutrition or other factors (malabsorption and genetic defects) are associated with various dermatological modifications such as pellagra the classical image of niacin deficit,9 or hyperpigmentation which is associated with B12 deficiency.10 Also trace elements are essential for skin health and their deficit is related to skin modifications.2,11

Malnutrition as well as excessive food intake can impair skin physiology. Indeed, obese people exhibit significant increase in transepidermal water loss suggesting an alteration of skin barrier function. Furthermore, obesity may affect sebum production, contribute to micro and macro circulation changes, and modify collagen metabolism. Finally, obesity is associated with a number of dermatoses such as acanthosis nigricans, acrochordons and keratosis pilaris.12

Wound healing is a complex phenomenon involving interactions between different cells type, cytokine, and the extracellular matrix. Nutritional deficiencies can impair wound healing, while some nutrients (vitamins A and C, zinc, glucosamine) may reduce healing time and improve wound quality.13

Still controversial,14 the link between diet and acne has been recently highlighted by a study on male volunteers with acne showing a greater improvement in total lesion count in the low glycemic diet group compared to the control group.15 In the same study, acne lesion count has been shown to be correlated with the increase of the ratio of saturated to monounsaturated fatty acids of skin triglycerides.

Foods that cause acne

I should backpeddle (clarify) a little here. I don't mean to say general diet doesn't affect your overall health and therefore, by extension, your skin health, what I'm saying is that you're going to have a hard time pinpointing that shit. Yes, of course, you should eat well and drink water, but a lot of acne problems don't go away with that. Or, your skin requires perfect habits to keep normal. Some dudes and chicks eat like absolute shit and drink Diet Coke all day and they have perfect skin. There are tons of variables. It could be your pillow cases. It could be the face wash you're using. It could be that you touch your face too much. It could be that you hold the phone up to your face all day and that shit is full of bacteria. It could be stress. It could be your fucked up sleep schedule. It could be bad shaving habits. It could be that your skin is insufficiently acidic. You get the point.

What I was saying is like medieval science is the random theorizing everyone is doing. One guy said to take only cold showers. Another to hold an ice pack while you're doing stomach crunches. Yet another one to jump up and down while saying three Hail Marys. Some of that may work, but a lot of it is an exercise in futility. I urge you to attack the problem from more than one direction and to have one of those directions be a professional.

Eat well, sleep well, and do the other shit (wash your pillow cases, shave properly, etc.) for your overall health and skin. But see a dermatologist. It will save you a lot of time and experimentation. These guys know in 10 minutes.

Why would you discourage that?

Foods that cause acne

Quote: (07-26-2012 10:48 PM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

I should backpeddle (clarify) a little here. I don't mean to say general diet doesn't affect your overall health and therefore, by extension, your skin health, what I'm saying is that you're going to have a hard time pinpointing that shit. Yes, of course, you should eat well and drink water, but a lot of acne problems don't go away with that. Or, your skin requires perfect habits to keep normal. Some dudes and chicks eat like absolute shit and drink Diet Coke all day and they have perfect skin. There are tons of variables. It could be your pillow cases. It could be the face wash you're using. It could be that you touch your face too much. It could be that you hold the phone up to your face all day and that shit is full of bacteria. It could be stress. It could be your fucked up sleep schedule. It could be bad shaving habits. It could be that your skin is insufficiently acidic. You get the point.

What I was saying is like medieval science is the random theorizing everyone is doing. One guy said to take only cold showers. Another to hold an ice pack while you're doing stomach crunches. Yet another one to jump up and down while saying three Hail Marys. Some of that may work, but a lot of it is an exercise in futility. I urge you to attack the problem from more than one direction and to have one of those directions be a professional.

Eat well, sleep well, and do the other shit (wash your pillow cases, shave properly, etc.) for your overall health and skin. But see a dermatologist. It will save you a lot of time and experimentation. These guys know in 10 minutes.

Why would you discourage that?

To me that's like saying if something is wrong with my car take it to a mechanic. Fuck that I'll learn to fix it myself, do some research that has been put out, and learn in the process. I'll consult a few mechanics and if I don't feel like doing something I might hand it off to one, but I'm going to handle it myself.

Yes. Go to a dermatologist. But look up the info of whatever they prescribe. A proponent of dermatologist, for example, in this case merely means this guy had a positive experience with dermatologists and so says that is the end of line with him. If he had a bad experience he might say "Bro don't fuck with those dermatologist they're a scam, they're in bed with big pharma fuck that, alt medicine all the way, do acupuncture." Of dermatologists are knowledgable professionals, highly educated and specialists in their field, by definition, yes. But challenge that knowledge and ask questions.

I mean you can consult with a dermatologist but if you don't want to use some cream they prescribe that's ok. Talk to a gang of dermatologists. This shit has been put out by scientific research so half of what people say on here is stuff that worked for them and think it is the cure-all solution for everyone so they'll say: Take a cold-shower bro and stand on your head and you'll be good. But people should take all info, especially opinions or advice, with a grain of salt and context.

Sweeping generalizations like 'Fuck all that food mythology' is fine for you, but that's ridiculous as helpful advice. Half of the shit people say on here would be nonsense if it wasn't put into context. Context being "this motherfucker obviously doesn't have a grasp on the issue, and also has an opinion, so let me do a little research and put the puzzle together," or "let me try it out and see if it works."

This is not for tuthmosis at all but for people like the op who might get overwhelmed by advice or take an opinion as a fact rather break it down the way it should be. A little research will separate the people who don't know what they're talking about from the people who offer helpful proactiv(sic) advice based on facts and experience.