rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Abkhazia: The Low Down

Just returned from a week in Abkhazia which for those who are not too up on their post Soviet geo-politics is a province of Georgia that broke away after a short but bloody war in which the Georgians were ethnically cleansed out of the land. I entered from the south and visited 3 towns on the coast: Ochamchire - Sukhumi - Gagra. I don't have lots of info regarding best clubs and restaurants but I'll give a run down about my trip and the place itself.

Location/Geography/Climate: Abkhazia is located on the South Eastern shore of the Black sea. It is a mountainous country with a semi tropical climate with stunning backdrops of the Eastern Caucus mountains. It is is green and lush with a warm sea. Best time to visit is summer both for the weather and the huge influx of Russians that are your best chance of bang.

Getting there: 2 ways. The easiest is to fly to Tbilisi then take a marshrutka to the border crossing outside of Zugdidi. No Georgian visa required and cost of the 6 hour marshrutka trip to the Abkhaz border was 15Lari ( 7 Euro ). You then cross on foot over the Inguri bridge and take a taxi or marshrutka to your destination. The more expensive way is to enter via Russia which means you need to get down to Sochi and have a Russian double entry visa which costs money. I went via Georgia and recommend you do the same as the country is fantastic and worth seeing too.

Visa and red tape: There is a myth that it is hard to get into Abkhazia,it's not. What you must do is apply for an entry permit one month before you go via email at the ministry of foreign affairs:
http://mfaapsny.org/en/council/visa.php This is only an entry permit to cross the border. You will recieve confirmation and show it at the border. Then when you are in the country you visit the ministry in Sukhumi and pay $10 to get an actual visa.

Safety: Abkhazia can be divided into two areas,north and south in terms of safety. I spent time in both. The south is much more militarised and the fighting was heavier there. There are mine fields ( NEVER GO INTO THE FOREST OR OFF A PATH IN SOUTH ABKHAZIA! ) everywhere that are slowly being cleared. You see the signs by the side of the road. The south is full of burnt out towns where Georgians were burned or shot out of their homes,it's a sad site to see the ethnically cleansed areas,whole streets of houses destroyed. The Russian military runs things down south,you see them everywhere. I was stopped by FSB agents in balaclavas after I crossed into Abkhazia and given a polite shake down asking what my plans were but after scanning my passport into a hand held device the officer shook my hand and let me pass on further into the country. Still,an uncomfortable few minutes having balaclavad men with pistols in their waist bands and Kalashnikovs surrounding you and shaking you down in Russian. Once you get to the capitol Sukhumi and north to Gagra the military presence is much reduced and you'd not know there was tension in the area. Except for that I felt perfectly safe. As for petty theft or being randomly attacked,no everyone is very friendly.

Language: No English spoken,none. Sorry but if you want to get the most out of a trip there then learning Russian is imperative. Russian is the lingua-franca,all speak it even if not as a first language. Other languages are Abkhaz and Mingrelian which had the hardest to pronounce phonetics of any language I have ever heard. Georgian is spoken at home by some families too.

People: Most people are a mix of Abkhaz and something else i.e Abkhaz/Russian or Mingrelian/Russian etc. They have a darker complexion then Slavs,think Georgian or Armenian. Average height. I found Mingrelians to have a lighter complexion then Abkhaz. A lot of retired Russians living down there for cheap living and good weather. A very friendly population down there,similar to Georgians in that respect.

Food: I hope you like Shashlik because it's all they seem to eat down there. Russian food available too in restaurants but I never found any local delicacies to sample.

Drink: Abkhazia is a wine producing region,every house has vines growing and produce a good sweet wine which I liked. Very little vodka drinking culture or alcoholism as in Russia,this was a relief when out on the town. Only saw bars in Gagra nowhere else. Cheap prices.

Places to stay: I stayed exclusively in private homes. You see signs for rooms to rent everywhere as babushkas support their pension this way. Rooms available for 300 Roubles a night. Hotels and sanatoriums run at 800-1500 Roubles a night. There are room renting agencies in every town.

Currency: Russian Roubles. Current exchange rate is 40RB to the Euro.

Other Foreigners: You taking the piss? I never heard or saw another foreigner ( non Russian ) in my week there. I was a superstar ( more on this later ). People I met had never met an Englishman before and were very inquisitive about my trip. One guy was convinced I must be a spy for wanting to visit and spent the night in the bar I was in in Gagra saying "no really,why are you really here?".

Venues: Outside of Gagra a lot of the action takes place in the sanatorium complexes. Instead of staying in private houses like I did get a room in a sanatorium where there will be hundreds of guests to target and discos etc. In Gagra you can stay in a room and hit the discos and bars/beach etc.

The towns:
Ochamchire: Southern resort town that is now half empty due to ethnic cleansing and the war. One decent hotel called the 'Samshit' located on the beach. Rooms in houses available. One decent restaurant opposite the hotel where a good meal will cost 300Roubles with a drink. Dirty beach with no tourists. Interesting town in terms of the hellishness of it but no action. No bars or night life.

Sukhumi ( The capitol ): A faded elegant town by the sea which is slowly being invested in. A relaxed laid back vibe which is worth a day to explore. Has a nice run down sea front with outside cafes and restaurants. Plenty of hotels ( sanatoriums ) on the outskirts. You will have to visit to get your visa. There is more action outside of town on the beaches opposite the sanatoriums then in the centre. I stayed in a private room for 350 Roubles.

Gagra: The place to be if you want action. This is where everyone is. A good beach,clean sea and plenty of Russian holiday makers who have come from the poorer towns for some cheap fun. It's the Benidorm of Abkhazia which means thousands of tourists,jet ski's,paragliding,banana boats,bars,discos...I spent one night here and liked it. If I was coming to chase skirt then this would be my choice.

Trip Report:
I arrived from Georgia and spent 2 nights in Ochamchire as I am a photographer and wanted to photo the devastation of the south. I went to the Samshit hotel but it was full and was instead directed down the road to a woman who rented rooms in her beach side home. 300 Roubles later I was unpacked and ready to explore. I spent two days there photographing shit and swimming in the sea. People could not believe I was English and would immediately see it as a DHV. They thought I must have relatives in the area for wanting to visit and it took some persuading that I was just down there on a jolly looking for an adventure and some action. There was a corrugated shack in the back yard of the house and as I sat in the garden I heard a Russian couple arguing. The man was drunk and he staggered out and headed off somewhere. A minute later an absolutely stunning Russian girl ( mid 20's and a 9 ) came out holding a baby. Why the fuck was such an amazing looking woman living with a drunkard in a tin shack in Abkhazia?! I mean I know why but it re-enforces how little beauty means in Russia as it is so common. In the west she would be modelling,in Abkhazia she lived in a shack with an outside toilet. If she'd not been married I'd have made it my priority to bang her. There was a neighbour who lived next door from where I stayed who was really into me,a Mingrelian girl,early twenties,pretty and she kept coming around to see me but I brushed her off as I knew she would require a little time to lay and I wanted to head north and chase Russians who are my favourites.

I headed to Sukhumi and found a room in a house on the outskirts of the city that I saw as we passed on the marshrutka. The owner wasn't in but a Russian woman who was staying there was in the kitchen and said the owner would be back and I should wait for her. I talked to this Russian woman who was in her early 40's and she asked me where I was from. I said London and she was shocked and excited saying "I can't believe it! My daughter has always wanted to meet an Englishman,I'll go and get her!" So off she went and a minute later returned with her daughter who was an attractive 18 year old and who was beaming from ear to ear. We sat and chatted in Russian ( no English ) and she pumped me with questions about England,British music,films etc. She told me how she dreamed to visit one day. Well,I think you guys can see the inevitable conclusion of this. I was not sure how her mum would react to me banging the daughter so I had to charm the mum first by inviting them both out for dinner in a nice restaurant on Sukhumi sea front where I was charm and suaveness personified. Mum took a liking to me but I had to make sure that she understood it was the daughter I wanted and not her,so I asked mum if I could invite her daughter ( Elena ) to the beach with me the next day. She agreed. We spent the day sunbathing and splashing about and in the evening we hit a bar in town and I kissed her. We headed to the beach and sat there kissing before walking home. With her mum there the bang would be difficult so I invited her to Gagra with me but she had to run it past her mum who after some persuasion agreed and so the next day we took a bus up the coast and got a room through the letting agency in the centre of town. Great 24 hours spent swimming,drinking,dancing and finally banging. We returned the next day to Sukhumi where I spent one more day with her on the beach making out and messing about. If I didn't have a return flight booked and commitments to my daughter here in Europe I'd have stayed longer with her enjoying banging her. We swapped details and I headed back to Georgia. It had been a great trip. In Tbilisi I called a Russian girl I met on the flight out and we met up and hit the town hard. Made out with her in a taxi ride to the airport and just now received an email from her saying she has left her boyfriend and will come to London soon!! Fuck!! And so the adventure continues [Image: banana.gif]

Abkhazia won't be for everyone. It's an interesting place but a bit complicated to get to,it's run down and not much to do outside of Gagra. Also you need Russian,nobody I met spoke English of any level. If you go then go to Gagra and forget the south. Would I go back? Yeah but I'd take some girls with me instead of trying to meet them there as I was lucky to have had one thrust into my arms like that. Everyone I saw was coupled up or with family. If you want Russian girls then go to Russia. If you want your Abkhaz flag then go there but be prepared to play future-groom-game and invest a few weeks or month in one place. Anyway,another interesting place ticked off the list. Whilst in Ochamchire I met some dudes from the Russian republic of Kabardino-Balkaria in the Caucuses who had stunning women with them so that will be my next major trip in the winter. Time to chase some Muslim skirt!

Nice sheet, I'd like to check out Gagra some day.

Too extreme for me, but I can appreciate your work here. GJ

Some photos at English Russia: Gagri, Abkhazia.

[Image: 1_017.jpg]

[Image: 1_018.jpg]

"The great secret of happiness in love is to be glad that the other fellow married her." – H.L. Mencken

Nice datasheet, might go there when I get to grips with Russian

how much does an apartment cost?

Learning Russian goes on the long-term to-do list...

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Quote: (07-20-2012 02:02 AM)deepcov3r Wrote:  

how much does an apartment cost?

No idea tbh,no doubt very cheap though since you can buy houses for $10,000 down there. I would rent a room with a babushka instead if I was targeting locals. The reason being that the old 'Sovok' attitude of interfering and being a busy body means they will try to find you a nice local girl to bang. Sovok people always try to match make if they like you and you would get around the barrier of social circle game that is played down there as you'd have an in. Banging in a shared house or apartment is no problem with these babushkas since they grew up in tiny apartments or communialkas where there was no privacy and they had to listen to their neighbours or parents bed rocking every night. Once you had your social circle sorted you could get your own place,life is very inexpensive down there. Your language skills would improve too by living
with a local.

If you wanted to target Russians I would get a long term deal at a sanatorium where you would meet hundreds.

Dude, abkhaz is very difficult to learn unless you speak a language related to it, or with a similar structure. It 58 to 67 consonants(if you count fortis consonants, one dialect has like over 100), depending on dialects and most consonants does not even exist in most language like k' sounds k+glottal click. The verb system is complex as fuck and there is like no cognates with indo-european languages. I recommend u know RUssian, cuz Georgian is hard as fuck too, many weird consonants and long cluster(imagine saying this, (gvbrdgvni-you tear us)), no cognates, crazy grammar. Mingrelian is related to Georgian, so same boat.
Hey vorkuta, are the girls hot as Russian? How common is light eyes?

Quote: (07-20-2012 09:34 AM)keepreal Wrote:  

Not to me but I rate a tall Russian Slav as being the epitome of hotness. Abkhaz chicks on average are just that,average IMO. There are some nice ones walking about but just not in any kind of quantity. Light eyes are not common from my experience.

The good thing about Abkhazia is that it's a cheap destination for Russians. This means that the girls from poor families and from poor towns who can't afford to go to Greece or Spain etc. go instead to Abkhazia because it's cheap and they can still feel like they are abroad. That is why the people I met,both local and Russian were so excited to meet me,they'd never met a foreigner before. Whereas to a Muscovite being American,British,German etc. don't mean shit,to a young chick from a shit hole like Barnaul or Novokuznetsk it can be an amazing thing to meet a foreigner,something they thought might never happen. It's an automatic DHV and starts your interaction off from a very positive start point.

Keepreal how come you know so much about the Abkhaz language,you ever attempted to learn it? Even when people I met there tried teaching me words I couldn't repeat them,my mouth couldn't make the sound. Try saying 'house' in Abkhaz,it sounds more like you are trying to whistle.

Excellent. Another hardcore/1% destination - no one goes there and no one will anytime soon. I ran into a couple of women from Sukhumi when I was in Kazbeki up in the mountains. Beautiful, sweet and completely un-damaged by Amerika/west ideal. You should head to South America and report on your take on the place in view of your heavy FSU experiences.

Quote: (07-20-2012 10:09 AM)Vorkuta Wrote:  

Quote: (07-20-2012 09:34 AM)keepreal Wrote:  

Not to me but I rate a tall Russian Slav as being the epitome of hotness. Abkhaz chicks on average are just that,average IMO. There are some nice ones walking about but just not in any kind of quantity. Light eyes are not common from my experience.

The good thing about Abkhazia is that it's a cheap destination for Russians. This means that the girls from poor families and from poor towns who can't afford to go to Greece or Spain etc. go instead to Abkhazia because it's cheap and they can still feel like they are abroad. That is why the people I met,both local and Russian were so excited to meet me,they'd never met a foreigner before. Whereas to a Muscovite being American,British,German etc. don't mean shit,to a young chick from a shit hole like Barnaul or Novokuznetsk it can be an amazing thing to meet a foreigner,something they thought might never happen. It's an automatic DHV and starts your interaction off from a very positive start point.

Keepreal how come you know so much about the Abkhaz language,you ever attempted to learn it? Even when people I met there tried teaching me words I couldn't repeat them,my mouth couldn't make the sound. Try saying 'house' in Abkhaz,it sounds more like you are trying to whistle.

not really, I'm just into languages/linguistics and went on wikipedia and learn abkhazian website, it says and the language looks complicated.
I find glottal sounds almost impossible to pronounce it right in some of Caucasian languages, it makes a pop sound which I can't make like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilabial_ejective(mp3 inside)
House you mean Аҩны/aw''ny? I was listen to an audio of it,the language sounds a little like turkish with funny back of the mouth sounds and less vowels.
There are so many k like cosonants, like k'j, k'w, k', k,kw,kj, q',q'j,q'w(it is like k but more back and with funny glottalness to it). Like А'ҟәа/aq'wa-I live, а'ҟаҧшь/aq'apšj-red, акәа'ц/ak'wats - meat, а'қалақь/akalakw-town, қәа/kwa-plural suffix. I found it amusing it took 22 lessons to introduce all the sounds of the language.
BTW I was learning how to write georgian letters, so many letters look like only differ from a slight stroke and upper/lower case.
I think sticking to improve Russian is much easier and more useful choice.
Would you say Georgian girls are better Akhazian? Are Akhazian girls a lot better looking than American or UK girls? I really hope I can get a job somewhere Lithuania,Russia or some Balto-Slavic land. But somewhere like Caucus would be okay.
I wonder how long u can live there until there is another war about the dispute? I watched a video that said people in Abkhazia are like the longest living people in world.

Fall/Spring would be the best time to go?

Quote: (07-20-2012 10:43 PM)keepreal Wrote:  

Would you say Georgian girls are better Akhazian? Are Akhazian girls a lot better looking than American or UK girls?

I wonder how long u can live there until there is another war about the dispute? I watched a video that said people in Abkhazia are like the longest living people in world.

It's depends so much on personal taste that it is hard to say. If you like Georgian girls then you will like Abkhaz chicks. However pure bred Abkhaz is very hard to find,just about everyone is mixed race as in half Russian half Mingrelian or mixed Abkhaz/Mingrelian etc. I will echo Lost Gringo's findings,namely that the women down there are as of yet not contaminated by our Western ways. They are very sweet and much shyer then Western or Russian women. Very nice people to hang out with.

Quote: (07-21-2012 01:15 AM)ao85 Wrote:  

Fall/Spring would be the best time to go?

If you want to target Russians then go July/August. You want local chicks then anytime of year is good. Climate is mid in winter.

Abkhazia and South Ossetia are both extremely war ravaged, so Westerners would never even think of going there, which means pristine girls untouched by Western feminism. As you elaborated on, the only problem would be lack of a club/bar scene except in the resorts.

First Abkhazia and next Kabardino-Balkaria. Man... [Image: icon_worship.gif]

Do you also plan travel to Chechnya? Very impressive talent there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwzPNEX9Dbk

Quote: (07-25-2012 11:32 AM)qazwsx Wrote:  

Do you also plan travel to Chechnya? Very impressive talent there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwzPNEX9Dbk

I would warn whoever is planning to go to Chechnya that it's not Thailand. Read the US Consular Advisory on this:

Quote:Quote:

the Department of State continues to warn U.S. citizens against travel to Chechnya and all other areas of the North Caucasus, including North Ossetia, Ingushetia, Dagestan, Stavropol, Karachayevo-Cherkessiya, and Kabardino-Balkariya. The U.S. Government’s ability to assist U.S. citizens who travel to the North Caucasus region is extremely limited. Throughout the region, local criminal gangs have kidnapped foreigners, including U.S. citizens, for ransom. U.S. citizens have disappeared in Chechnya and remain missing. Close contacts within the local population does not guarantee safety. There have been several kidnappings of foreigners and Russian citizens working for media and non-governmental organizations in the region. Due to the ongoing security concerns, U.S. Government travel to the region is very limited. U.S. citizens residing in these areas should depart immediately.

They are also hardcore about blood feuds. If it becomes known one of their women did something inappropriate with a dude her family might be considered dishonored unless they rip him a new one. Naughtynomad could probably do it though.

Hmm interesting.

I've always known that I will visit Chechnya one day,it's inevitable that I won't be able to resist it's lure,however the place ( the whole North Caucus region ) scares the crap out of me. Like I said I met some cool guys from Nalchik in Kabardino-Balkaria and they told me their town was perfectly safe but they dont realize the particular dangers a foreigner is prey to,dangers they don't themselves have to worry about as much ( they have different dangers no doubt such as police brutality and corruption etc ). I'll hit their republic this winter ( they had two incredible looking girls with them ) and decide from there if it is wise to proceed on to Chechnya and Dagestan. Certainly a trip I'd rather do with a buddy though,better to spend the next ten years in a rat infested cellar with someone to talk to : )

Quote: (07-26-2012 04:53 AM)chamele0n Wrote:  

I would warn whoever is planning to go to Chechnya that it's not Thailand. Read the US Consular Advisory on this:

the Department of State continues to warn U.S. citizens against travel to Chechnya and all other areas of the North Caucasus, including North Ossetia, Ingushetia, Dagestan, Stavropol, Karachayevo-Cherkessiya, and Kabardino-Balkariya. The U.S. Government’s ability to assist U.S. citizens who travel to the North Caucasus region is extremely limited. Throughout the region, local criminal gangs have kidnapped foreigners, including U.S. citizens, for ransom. U.S. citizens have disappeared in Chechnya and remain missing. Close contacts within the local population does not guarantee safety. There have been several kidnappings of foreigners and Russian citizens working for media and non-governmental organizations in the region. Due to the ongoing security concerns, U.S. Government travel to the region is very limited. U.S. citizens residing in these areas should depart immediately.

They are also hardcore about blood feuds. If it becomes known one of their women did something inappropriate with a dude her family might be considered dishonored unless they rip him a new one. Naughtynomad could probably do it though.

We listen stories about Chechen Mafia and all the wars in the zone, but I didn't know things are so hostile to foreigners. [Image: sad.gif]

I think we should organize a militar intervention to steal this ass from Chechen thugs:

Quote: (07-26-2012 06:44 AM)qazwsx Wrote:  

I think we should organize a militar intervention to steal this ass from Chechen thugs

And then let's stop in Dagestan to steal Marina Mustafaeva as well:

She looks somewhat exotic. Would bang.

"The great secret of happiness in love is to be glad that the other fellow married her." – H.L. Mencken

Naughtynomad could probably do it though.

Bump!

No, I'm not off to Chechnya just yet, but I'm going to Sukumi next week! I'll only be there for Tuesday and Wednesday so I'll expecting absolutely no craic. But maybe, just maybe, I can find a pulse. Thanks for the info Vorkuta!

I will report back.

Quote: (07-26-2012 06:44 AM)qazwsx Wrote:  

We listen stories about Chechen Mafia and all the wars in the zone, but I didn't know things are so hostile to foreigners. [Image: sad.gif]

I think we should organize a militar intervention to steal this ass from Chechen thugs:

OMG!! That is one fine ass. She is cute too!!!!! Wow!

was in Batumi,Georgia. fuck, it is empty in the fall. all whores in one club I went.

And the name of that whore-ridden club was...
(just wondering for shoring purposes)

Quote: (10-02-2012 05:49 PM)naughtynomad Wrote:  

And the name of that whore-ridden club was...
(just wondering for shoring purposes)

It was discorium. I went to another clubs too, most of them were closing/closed, or very few people with bodyguards guarding a group of girls.
Maybe I should write a datasheet.
Definitely come in the summer for Russian tourists.