rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Incase of Emergency?

Incase of Emergency?

What kind of stuff do you routinely do to guard against or aid in dealing with emergency situations when you travel? For instance, do you check in with the embassy or even have the number handy? Do you have some form of medical coverage for emergencies? Do you periodically check in with people back home? What are the best practices and proactive actions for travelers to deal with emergency situations when traveling in another country?

Incase of Emergency?

I would say..just keep in contact every now and then with someone back home.
I've never bought travel insurance.
If you want you can register with the embassy or something like that online so they have your info.

If you're somewhere cheap..you can probably buy your own meds without prescription..if youre somewhere with a universal healthcare you might get luck and itll be all paid.
Maybe someone else that takes precautions can give some better info.
Ive never worried about any problems..
Most people will know im alive by my occasional facebook status

I am the cock carousel

Incase of Emergency?

Depends where you go. If you're going somewhere with a prevalent disease or two, then you should get vaccinated or see a doctor about prophylactic medications. I have never bought travel insurance, so I can't speak to that.

If the destination is dangerous (eg high risk of kidnapping, robbery, etc), then it helps to have some info on hand. For example, you should figure out where your country's embassy is located in case you get robbed while carrying your passport (sidenote, don't carry your passport), after which point you will probably want to see about getting a replacement. You also might want to talk to some locals about what neighborhoods are dangerous, and whether the local police are reliable.

Also, if you notify the embassy, some local friends, or even some expats (sometimes old and boring, but usually friendly and welcoming regardless of age) of your presence and contact info, then they might contact you if something turbulent happens in the country. Even without this, you can get the same information by keeping up with the CNN.com section on whatever region you're visiting.

I always carry a knife, and I try to get a prescription for some sort of antibiotic before traveling. Aside from that, I don't do much to ward off emergencies.

I do keep in touch with my friends and family while traveling, but not for safety's sake. It's fun to talk about my experiences, and word will get around so any curious friends or relatives can hear about how much fun I'm having.

Your precautions should suit the risks that you face in whatever destination you have chosen. If you are unprepared, you may find yourself regretting it, but don't worry yourself so much that you waste time preparing for trivial things.

Incase of Emergency?

Always keep your passport in your hotel room, with an emergency contact number in case of there is a problem. If something happens to you the police will know where you are staying by your hostel or hotel key.

Keep extra cash somewhere that you won't touch it, only there if you lose your wallet or get robbed. I keep $700 in a secret pouch in my suitcase.

Let someone you can trust in the U.S. know where you will be at all times. I have a buddy who knows what country I am whenever I travel, and we keep in touch via text.

Make copies of your credit cards and keep those with your secret money stash.

Incase of Emergency?

I am speaking for US residents only, but I've been involved with a person whose had a passport stolen in a 3rd world country. The experience has made me appreciate being an American citizen abroad much more. Long story short, my traveling partner had his passport stolen in a shithole in EE. He simply called the US embassy and explained the situation and we had an appointment for a new passport 12 hours from the phone call. A night of drinking and banging led to us missing our appointment at the embassy. No worries though. We simply showed up the next day, matter of factly explained we overslept the prdvious day and given an appointment on arrival. Within 45 minutes he walked out with a US passport valid for 1 year after issue. Hence, I only carry a copy of my passport unless I plan on leaving the country within 48 hours. It's not worth the risk IMO carrying a passport drunk at 3am.

I also never carry my debit card. I lose my debit card, and Im probably sleeping on a cardboard box on the street until I can find some cash. To me that's the most valuable asset in my possession.

Incase of Emergency?

Travel Tip: Scan your passport and other documents and e-mail them to yourself.

Incase of Emergency?

I take the following precautions when going abroad:

1. Get travel & health insurance
2. Scan copy of passport and visa (if necessary when in Russia or Belarus) and email to self.
3. Register with embassy/Department of Foreign Affairs
4. Inform next of kin and send regular sms to say that i'm ok.

Incase of Emergency?

I check in about once a week with my parents and when I have a medical question I ask my brother's fiance as she is a pharmacist and chill with my lifestyle. Sometimes I travel with friends but most of the time I am by myself. Also I try to learn important words or phrase for the country I am going to if I dont speak their native language. Mostly be respectful of others whom are about and keep out of trouble.

Incase of Emergency?

Quote: (07-17-2012 12:54 AM)Sourcecode Wrote:  

I would say..just keep in contact every now and then with someone back home.
Most people will know im alive by my occasional facebook status

That's why I like facebook. My family know's I'm alright when I drunk post on it. That means I got back to the hotel and am safe.
Quote: (07-17-2012 07:25 PM)polymath Wrote:  

I do keep in touch with my friends and family while traveling, but not for safety's sake. It's fun to talk about my experiences, and word will get around so any curious friends or relatives can hear about how much fun I'm having.

My family don't even ask when I call. They know I won't even step one foot in a museum. I learn culture from the inside of vaginal walls. Osmosis.

Quote: (07-18-2012 09:13 AM)jdelisi Wrote:  

Keep extra cash somewhere that you won't touch it, only there if you lose your wallet or get robbed. I keep $700 in a secret pouch in my suitcase.

Let someone you can trust in the U.S. know where you will be at all times. I have a buddy who knows what country I am whenever I travel, and we keep in touch via text.

Make copies of your credit cards and keep those with your secret money stash.

What if someone steals your suitcase? Then you're fucked.
Quote: (07-18-2012 09:40 AM)MaleDefined Wrote:  

I am speaking for US residents only, but I've been involved with a person whose had a passport stolen in a 3rd world country. The experience has made me appreciate being an American citizen abroad much more. Long story short, my traveling partner had his passport stolen in a shithole in EE. He simply called the US embassy and explained the situation and we had an appointment for a new passport 12 hours from the phone call. A night of drinking and banging led to us missing our appointment at the embassy. No worries though. We simply showed up the next day, matter of factly explained we overslept the prdvious day and given an appointment on arrival. Within 45 minutes he walked out with a US passport valid for 1 year after issue. Hence, I only carry a copy of my passport unless I plan on leaving the country within 48 hours. It's not worth the risk IMO carrying a passport drunk at 3am.

I also never carry my debit card. I lose my debit card, and Im probably sleeping on a cardboard box on the street until I can find some cash. To me that's the most valuable asset in my possession.

But if you can't draw out more money, you'll lose bangs. Carry your card.

Quote: (07-18-2012 02:10 PM)Divorco Wrote:  

Travel Tip: Scan your passport and other documents and e-mail them to yourself.

Google documents is amazing.

Quote: (07-18-2012 02:26 PM)Partizan Wrote:  

I take the following precautions when going abroad:

1. Get travel & health insurance
2. Scan copy of passport and visa (if necessary when in Russia or Belarus) and email to self.
3. Register with embassy/Department of Foreign Affairs
4. Inform next of kin and send regular sms to say that i'm ok.

I've never registered with the embassy. They'll track you for being a RVF member.

Quote: (07-18-2012 08:40 PM)johnw28 Wrote:  

I check in about once a week with my parents and when I have a medical question I ask my brother's fiance as she is a pharmacist and chill with my lifestyle. Sometimes I travel with friends but most of the time I am by myself. Also I try to learn important words or phrase for the country I am going to if I dont speak their native language. Mostly be respectful of others whom are about and keep out of trouble.

If the natives don't speak English their stupid, so treat them as such.