rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

HIV drugs passes FDA for preventative use!

http://gizmodo.com/5926460/hiv-drug-pass...socialflow

FDA Approves the First Preventative Drug for HIV

Truvada is is a drug already used to treat HIV, but recently, it has been shown to reduce the risk of HIV infection. Now the FDA is approving Truvada for preventative use against HIV. This is a huge deal, considering 50,000 people in the U.S. are diagnosed with HIV every year.

Manufactured by San Francisco-area biotech firm Gilead Sciences, Truvada was approved after two clinical trials which studied 2500 HIV-negative men who engaged in risky sexual behavior. Through the trial, doctors found that the drug drastically reduced incidence of infection as long as subjects used the drug regularly.

Onwards rawdog soldiers!!

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

If they approve plus a reversible male birth control pill/surgery and stocks in condom companies are going to go through the floor.

Seriously, I cannot wait for those two things to come to pass, so I can join the legion of perpetual rawdoggers.

So how much does this shit run?

As much as I'm a fan of the rawdog there are some broads even I won't go bareback on.

Yeah, wonder what the price will be? How many years is it until companies can manufacture generic versions at a low cost? 10 years or somethin?

If you aren't prepared to go rawdog on a chick, then consider that condoms brake often, so you can never be truly safe.

Quote: (07-16-2012 07:29 PM)JayMillz Wrote:  

Truvada is is a drug already used to treat HIV, but recently, it has been shown to reduce the risk of HIV infection. Now the FDA is approving Truvada for preventative use against HIV. This is a huge deal, considering 50,000 people in the U.S. are diagnosed with HIV every year.

Manufactured by San Francisco-area biotech firm Gilead Sciences, Truvada was approved after two clinical trials which studied 2500 HIV-negative men who engaged in risky sexual behavior. Through the trial, doctors found that the drug drastically reduced incidence of infection as long as subjects used the drug regularly.

I have yet to meet an HIV negative person who did not have serious side-effects from taking anti-retrovirals.

That said, my experience is mostly in the older drugs (AZT and 3TC). I had to take that stuff myself for a month. Worst month of my life, but I several months later I still tested negative.

Maybe these newer drugs won't make you feel like you're being hit by a bus every 5 minutes.

Quote: (07-17-2012 04:26 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

Quote: (07-16-2012 07:29 PM)JayMillz Wrote:  

I have yet to meet an HIV negative person who did not have serious side-effects from taking anti-retrovirals.

That said, my experience is mostly in the older drugs (AZT and 3TC). I had to take that stuff myself for a month. Worst month of my life, but I several months later I still tested negative.

Maybe these newer drugs won't make you feel like you're being hit by a bus every 5 minutes.

I agree with this. There's no way I'm taking any HIV related drugs unless I have very good life/death reasons to. Have no personal experience, but by all accounts the side-effects of anti-retrovirals are just NASTY. Chronic diarrhea just to begin with...

I don't think that anyone here would be prepared to live with the side effects just so they could raw-dog.

Quote: (07-17-2012 09:58 AM)Bad Hussar Wrote:  

I don't think that anyone here would be prepared to live with the side effects just so they could raw-dog.

Yup, and also note that you have to take the drug every day for it to be effective; it's not a pop 1 before you go bare back riding kind of miracle drug.

Quote:Quote:

Onwards rawdog soldiers!!

Nope, the drug is meant to be used to mitigate the infection risks of high risk individuals i.e. homosexuals and couples where one partner is known to be hiv positive, not so that the general population can "safely" raw dog -

Groups including the AIDS Healthcare Foundation asked the FDA to reject the new indication, saying it could give patients a false sense of security and reduce the use of condoms, the most reliable preventive measure against HIV.

Another differing opinion -

The FDA's move today is negligence bordering on the equivalence of malpractice which will sadly result in new infections, drug resistance and serious side effects among many, many people," said AHF president Michael Weinstein.

As for the costs:

Gilead Sciences said Monday that it would keep the pill at its current price, nearly $14,000 per year

Do your own research, especially about HIV subtypes in the country you are currently in before you decide whether or not to go unwrapped.