rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Any Photographers out there??

I have recently bought a nice Canon DSLR camera, rebel series.

My question is that I would like another lens to purchase for when I am travelling.

Any suggestions?

Something good for taking girls pics from a distance without them knowing and for scenery of course.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

Zoom in on person.
Take picture of them
Be boss

I am the cock carousel

Different kinds of lenses that you need:

Quote:Quote:

Something good for taking girls pics from a distance without them knowing

For paparazzi-style shots you need a telephoto lens (200-300mm are the shortest ones). Those are also used by sports photographers.

Quote:Quote:

and for scenery of course.

For landscapes or architecture you would want a wide-angle lens. 15-20mm focal length.

You will either need to buy two lenses, or find a zoom lens that covers the entire range so you only carry one lens. Alternatively, you could buy a mid-range zoom lense (something like 35-105mm) and use your feet if you need further zoom in/out. In any case, if you're looking to get good lenses it'll be expensive.

There is a good list of Canon lenses here: http://kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/ . Me, I am a Nikon guy, so I can't really give you recommendations on which ones to buy. For non-professional stuff you should probably get cheaper ones. You can also find second hand.

Budget?
If you have the cash a 16-35 2.8 L and a 70-200 2.8 L will have you covered. About a $1500 each. and a $100 50 1.8 for quick good looking portraiture of the chicas.

Quote: (07-05-2012 03:45 AM)Yul Brynner Wrote:  

Budget?
If you have the cash a 16-35 2.8 L and a 70-200 2.8 L will have you covered. About a $1500 each. and a $100 50 1.8 for quick good looking portraiture of the chicas.

Definitely the cheap 50/1.8, no stress if you break it etc...and Mr. Brynner is right, chicks get all crazy about a simple shallow depth of field portrait. They instantly assume you are some sort of professional.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Thanks guy my friend was raving about the 50 for close-ups, what is the difference between that and a macro?

I am debating a 18-135, any thoughts?

Our New Blog:

Quote: (07-05-2012 03:45 AM)Yul Brynner Wrote:  

Budget?

Budget is around $500

I will probably have to do what you suggested over the long haul.

What Camera do you use?

Our New Blog:

macro lenses are for close up shots

For taking pictures without girls knowing, use your phone. Pointing a gigantic zoom lens at someone is not very discreet.

Generally the lenses with wide variations in focal length are heavier. Prime lenses (fixed focal length) are lighter. More expenses lenses sometimes are lighter.

Go on flickr, find photos you like, and then check out the tags for what lenses were used. Thats my recommendation. With a little research you can figure out what famous photographers were shooting with too.

Don't take an SLR while traveling, the bulk will drive you nuts, and it's a thief magnet. Get something like a mirrorless camera with a small lens. Try a Samsung NX & 30mm f/2, Sony NEX & 16mm f/2.8 or a Fuji X1 & 35mm f/1.4. They kind of look like a point and shoot, but have the same quality. Also carry a waterproof point and shoot for beach days, like the Panasonic TS3. They cost as much as a cheap lens, and are totally worth it.

I have many Canon lenses including including several L series lenses (this includes the 70-200 II 2.8is). Out of everything I own I absolutley love my 50mm 1.4 lense. The 50 mm 1.8, which is $100 us dollars is a good bet if you are on a budget. The clarity is unbelievable and by far the best bang for your buck.

If I travel I take a cheaper Panasonic gf2 camera with 2 lenses (small compact and great clarity) but if I want to take my dslr I would take my 50mm and a wide angle zoom.

F-stop is priority. Always choose a lens with the lowest number however price goes up exponentially. I suggest practicing with prime lenses (no zoom) which are still affordable with a low f-stop.