rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Changing your life.

Changing your life.

Gentleman,

My life is about to take a turn. Back in December I lost my job at a bank after a contract of a manager took over for the former male manager. He was banging one of my colleagues and got pinched. As soon as she came in, I saw the target.

For a full year I was trying to find another job. I did find one. Making $300-$500k yr as a trader. I turned it down. Th not got canned.

Best thing to be very happen to me.

Back in high school I was adamant I wanted to be an auto mechanic. Then a brief conversation with a friends father scared me to going to university.

I became obsessed with making money, getting miserable while doing it. Getting canned was the best. I was happiest.

I was looking back at emails and stumbled on one I sent to a mentor. A true alpha. A cop. Greatest guy. I sked his advice about going into a trade. That was 2009!

Every once in a while Roosh tweets about the value of learning a craft. Working with your hands. It hit me hard. I want to do a skilled trade like I was planning almost 20yrs ago.

So here I am. I just gave notice to my apartment. Going to travel for 2 months and then head to a part of the country that desperately needs apprentices and such.

There's no time for waiting.

That's all.

Changing your life.

You turned down a job making $300-500k to become a grease monkey?.

Changing your life.

12 hr days, staring at 5 computer screens, no time off.

You bet.

Changing your life.

But you could just do it for a few years and retire a millionaire. A lot of people would give their left nut to have the opportunity to make that kind of money.

Or you could just trade for yourself and live and work where you like

Changing your life.

Either you are leaving out relevant information or made a really bad decision.

Changing your life.

Quote: (06-28-2012 01:42 PM)Deb Auchery Wrote:  

But you could just do it for a few years and retire a millionaire. A lot of people would give their left nut to have the opportunity to make that kind of money.

Or you could just trade for yourself and live and work where you like

2 years hard work.....3 to 5 years full-time girl chasing around the globe.

Changing your life.

I could do 20 years on those figures

Changing your life.

I'm not leaving anything out. All you end up with is more shit. I haven't met one trader who isn't miserable. But they have to keep working because they have more shit to pay for. It just keeps accumulating. And it's always "just 2 more years." or once I hit this target i'm out. You always move the target and the goal.

Getting into a position where you can own your own business is more attractive than working for banking assholes.

It's always greener somewhere else.

Changing your life.

Some guy with a PhD wrote a heralded book on his decision to become a motorcycle mechanic. Check it out if you haven't already.

Changing your life.

Quote: (06-28-2012 03:20 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

Some guy with a PhD wrote a heralded book on his decision to become a motorcycle mechanic. Check it out if you haven't already.

Title?

What a lot of these "bankers to barbers" stories fail to highlight is that they have been working for numerous years raking in substantial dough and can afford to take a morefulfilling job.

Changing your life.

Hardly.

I was an associate the whole time. I made just over $100k a year. I also tried to keep up with everyone else.

I have enough cash to keep me going for one more year. The one thing I was smart about was no debt. I refuse to ever go into any kind of debt.

What do you value? Self respect? Owning your own time?

Money is useless when you're dead.

Changing your life.

I took the initiative for you and Googled the name of that book. "shop Class as soulcraft"

Changing your life.

I'm calling you out as a troll(motive unbeknown), regardless of your previous role, you claim to have turned down half a mil per annum to work as a mechanic. I can't really see it in the interview room..... "Thanks for your generous offer of fabulous wealth, but my mate's exhaust has just blown, Zeus to the rescue, see ya"

As I said most people would only do such a thing in their late thirties or forties when they've burned themselves out, have amassed considerable savings, built a family, and have decided enough's enough.

Changing your life.

So you're calling me a troll but have no reason to.

Heh

Changing your life.

Because the logic befuddles me.

Congrats.

Changing your life.

Quote: (06-28-2012 05:06 PM)Deb Auchery Wrote:  

I'm calling you out as a troll(motive unbeknown), regardless of your previous role, you claim to have turned down half a mil per annum to work as a mechanic. I can't really see it in the interview room..... "Thanks for your generous offer of fabulous wealth, but my mate's exhaust has just blown, Zeus to the rescue, see ya"

As I said most people would only do such a thing in their late thirties or forties when they've burned themselves out, have amassed considerable savings, built a family, and have decided enough's enough.

I left a contract that I was getting paid 6k to 7k a week working 60 to 70 hours a week. I did that for roughly 2 to 3 years, on that contract, and a year being paid less prior. I was miserable. No amount of money is worth being miserable. I really don't know why that is hard to understand.

It was tough to start over but things are way better and I call the shots.

Changing your life.

Quote: (06-28-2012 05:06 PM)Deb Auchery Wrote:  

people are different. zeus clearly hated his job and quit to do what he wanted to do. having a different mindset than your own does not constitute as trolling

Changing your life.

Well regardless, that is my opinion, feeding time over.

Changing your life.

This is the plot of Office Space. Office work + misery --> manual labor + happiness. Good luck Zeus, but look at Roosh's post on happiness from earlier this week. Can an intelligent guy like you be happy sweating it out day after day under a car changing oil and tires for Suzy Soccer Mom? Maybe yes, maybe no, but all that glitters isn't gold.

Changing your life.

Here's an article about the PHD mechanic. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazi...anted=1&hp

"Many of us do work that feels more surreal than real. Working in an office, you often find it difficult to see any tangible result from your efforts. What exactly have you accomplished at the end of any given day? Where the chain of cause and effect is opaque and responsibility diffuse, the experience of individual agency can be elusive. “Dilbert,” “The Office” and similar portrayals of cubicle life attest to the dark absurdism with which many Americans have come to view their white-collar jobs."

And I wanted to be a mechanic. I'm going to do this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxPbk_Q2O4I

Changing your life.

Menace,

I did read the post, and I absolutely agree.

THis is what I've realised. I have a task driven mind. I fight with myself when I get too analytical. That is the banking world.

Not for me.

Changing your life.

I'm really hesitant to say anything but bullshit. Three or four years of golden handcuffs in your 20s in exchange for temporary unhappiness is not a bad thing, compared to wage slaving away in an auto-body repair shop well into your 60s and breathing in all kinds of paint fumes.

Have fun fixing things though, I know that if I had money saved away and decided to retire, I would probably just fix cars and boats myself. It's very fulfilling work.

Changing your life.

must be trolling...

Changing your life.

Jesus man you turned down a VP promote for mechanics? That's intense. I am too, am a bit confused since you waited a full year to get the job. Working in a similar situation but my logic had always been wait to get laid off (if ever) and just live off unemployment checks while traveling and seeing if it was "for me". Then come back and worst case scenario get back into the grind a year or two and finally call it quits.

Finance is a young man's game, you can crank out 60's till about low 30's (ie: when you're finally looking like a man). Then you are really telling a more logical story because that grind is no longer worth the health effects. 60 hours a week for an in shape young dude is pretty much nada. You can save up 33% of your pay or around $30K post tax if you dont get trapped in the lifestyle. To each his own though. I hope to get that one time shot of clearing 500K in a year, thats pretty much game over for me.

Guess as a final note could have just been your boss, i have worked with some real cunts in the past.

Changing your life.

I feel you Zeus.

Keep us apprised of how things work out.

WIA