rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

BMW European Delivery - Datasheet

This data sheet does not concern girls, but discusses a different type of travel-related adventure. Doing European Delivery ("ED") of a BMW is something I've done twice and after finding out about it and actually doing it, cannot recommend it enough to someone who is in a situation where they need a new car, have time to take off and go to Munich, have patience (redelivery takes time) and want an experience of a lifetime. The biggest misconceptions with respect to ED are 1) the car you get is german spec and not in line with US requirements, and 2) you have to pay to get it back. However, this is not true - you are buying/leasing the exact same car that you would in America. The easiest way to think about ED is that once you order your car, BMW allows you to pick it up at the factory, drive it around in Europe, then they ship it back to you. Here's how it works:

Purchase/lease a BMW:

First step is to decide on the BMW that you want. Please note that not all BMWs are available for ED. The ones built in South Carolina, for obvious reasons, cannot be done through ED. At last check this was the X series. Once you determine which BMW you want, you will want to then find a sales rep that specializes in ED. Depending on your geographic location, there can be several or few. Bimmerfest forums are especially good for finding a sales rep, as those guys have a great reputation and know what they are doing.

So let's say you want a 335i Convertible. The great thing about ED is since you are ordering your car, you can spec it to your exact liking, down to every color and option. You contact the sales rep and agree on a price, usually between 500-1000 over ED invoice. There are two superb things about this: #1, ED invoice is a lot cheaper than regular invoice. BMW heavily subsidizes ED (roughly 7-10%). #2, with ED, the dealers do not give up an "allocation" spot, meaning they have unlimited ED cars to sell and anything they make off of it is just bonus. So for example, if BMW only gives them 30 335i Convertibles to sell in a month, they try to maximize the sale on each one. With ED, they can sell 1000 of these cars a month since it does not come out of this allotment. Thus, they are willing to work with you on price.

Once you settle on a price (just ask them to send you the invoice data, most will, or you can find it online easily), then you fill out a credit app to "lock" the rates. Depending on if you want to lease or buy, each month BMW has various rates for their various cars. For buying, they have various financing incentives. For leasing, the Money Factors and Residual values fluctuate from month to month. In California, you can lock these rates in for 90 days after being approved on the credit app. In other states I believe it is 60 days. All this can be done via email by the way, so the only time you really even need to physically go to the dealer is to sign the paperwork and pick up the car. Another bonus is within this time period, if the rates become more favorable, you can lock those rates in too. Basically you get the best rates within this period from when you do the credit app to when you sign the paperwork.

So you've agreed on a price, got your credit approved and now you select your ED date, the date where you pick up your brand new fully spec'd BMW in Munich.

What's Included:

- Registration of your car
- 14 days of 100% full insurance (you can drive your car into a river and you get a new one)
- BMW pays for shipping back to US
- License and other stuff (for Germany, if you drive to some other countries you may need an international driver's license)

The Pickup:

Roughly 10 days before your pickup date, you go to the dealer and sign the lease/purchase. This is the date your lease starts, or if you are buying it, when the transaction is considered to start. Now you may wonder, I don't even have the car why am I paying for it now? Well that's the way it works - BUT...BMW pays your second payment for you. So while you won't have the car for a few months after you pick it up and it gets shipped back, you also don't pay for the second month.

You should have made your travel plans in advance and be ready to fly to Munich to pick up your car. BMW does offer a Lufthansa 2 for 1 ticket if you are flying with someone, but I usually found this not to be a good deal after taxes and such. You fly into Munich, and I'd suggest not picking up the car the same day but the next day to allow some time to relax.

You work your way to BMW Welt, which is an amazing place. If you like cars, history, technology, you can and will spend almost your entire day there. I did. Exiting the U line, you see the BMW headquartes and the Welt is absolutely stunning. Go and check in at the premium lounge, where you are treated like true royalty. You have your own private floor with drinks, food as much as you want. They assign you the pickup time, as they have deliveries throughout the day. Please make sure you take the BMW factory tour as it is amazing. Those Kuka robots are ridiculous, I can't imagine how much effort went into their design and programming. Setup the tour through BMW before you come, but as someone picking up the car you have priority over everyone else. After the tour, come back and you get an orientation for your car including a virtual reality driving lesson. And then, the time comes, you pick up your awesome new car, complete with spotlight and rotating platform for your car. People at the Welt who are visiting stand and watch the deliveries, it is that intriguing. They hand you the keys, explain how to use the car, and then you actually drive your car out of the Welt yourself. Just go park it downstairs and come back and enjoy the Welt. That's what I did. Here is a pic of where your car will be lined up:

[Image: 1306089875-eurp_0802_06_z_bmw_welt_handover_area.jpg]

Google BMW Welt for more pics, it's an architectural masterpiece.

Traveling:

This is arguably the best part about this whole process - you have your own car to drive throughout Europe. Take advantage of this. Go to smaller cities, cities that you can't access by train or plane. Alternatively, use it as a means to get around Europe and visit other countries. At the time, I was in a LTR so I was with a girl and did couply activities. Visited Germany, Italy, Switzerland and France. Drove through Austria too but didn't stop there. There are some limits of where you can go where the insurance will not cover it, but I think some people have even driven to EE and maybe Russia. I highly suggest ordering Navigation as an option, because they preload your car with Europe's DVD so you can easily drive anywhere without getting lost.

The Dropoff:

Also absurdly easy. First, I'd recommend a quick car wash because if you've been driving like you should have, your car will be dirty and having it sit in dirt on a boat for several weeks is not good for the paint. BMW has multiple drop-off points throughout Europe, though both times I've just dropped it off in Munich. You take your car in, sign some paperwork, give them one of the two keys, and take your front license plate with you as a souvenir. BMW takes your car, ships it back for you and you get your car 4-6 weeks later depending on where in the US you are.

Remember you have full insurance so take note of any damages and let BMW know. Last trip I backed into a boulder and some guy forgot to put his parking brake on in a parking lot so his car rolled back into my front end. Upon picking up my car both bumpers were replaced and it was brand new again.

The Redelivery:

When your car arrives, your dealer will let you know and you will go pick it up. It's like getting your new car for the second time. At this point you register with the DMV, and drive off. You also get the very cool feature of having a german license plate which is always a nice conversation starter.

Other Notes:
- Other companies offer this, but I've only done it with BMW.
- I know you can do this if you live in other countries outside America too. Many people there were from other places throughout the world, just not sure what the details are for doing it from another country.
- Don't forget to floor it on the autobahn, I hit 140 mph before running out of room.
- If you can, drive the Nurburgring. Insane adrenalin rush. Also, this is very hard to do, but if you can book a ride with the BMW Taxi. They have ex-race car drivers take a modded M5 out on the ring and you get a ride. The process to get a reservation is absurd, at least last time it was. Maybe they made it easier.

Any questions, just ask. I can expand upon the leasing structure, offer tips for Munich itself, suggestions of a route to follow driving, etc. I probably forgotten some stuff too so feel free to prompt me for any more information.

You get a discount on a great vehicle, are treated like royalty, get to experience something unique, and get to travel to Europe. If the situation works it is a no brainer. Not a single person that has done this has ever thought it was anything less than amazing, much less regretted it.

Its my dream to do something like this. Thanks for the great overview. saved all this into my evernote.

Not something I would ever want to do but awesome data sheet non the less. Enjoy your new car.

Wow great sheet. I have herd of this being done but never realized the process was this smooth.

Now wheres the sheet on getting these BMWs to Africa.

Quote: (06-07-2012 02:41 PM)kosko Wrote:  

Wow great sheet. I have herd of this being done but never realized the process was this smooth.

Now wheres the sheet on getting these BMWs to Africa.

Board a ferry in southern France or Spain [Image: smile.gif]

I like it. But still cautious about the price of all this.

Nope.

Simply outstanding! This is why I love this forum! We have authentic G's here, doing the stuff that opens your eyes to what's possible out there. I had vaguely heard of that but reading it how smoothly it is run, you almost convinced me to buy a Bimmer and go pick it up in Munich next year. Do you or anyone knows if the other German manufacturers such as Benz and Audi also offer something like that with the same calibre of outstanding service? And most importantly, do they do that to Canada?

Definite +1 from me!!!

Quote: (06-07-2012 03:19 PM)Rosca Wrote:  

I like it. But still cautious about the price of all this.

Just depend what car you get. You can get a base 128i and have lease payments of under 400/month. Or you can get an M6 and have payments of over 1500/month.

Back in 04-05, BMW had heavily subsidized the 5 series and when combining it with ED and a 2-year lease (savings amortized over shorter period), people were leasing 5-series for under 300/month. Sadly that doesn't happen much if ever again.

Quote: (06-07-2012 06:16 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Simply outstanding! This is why I love this forum! We have authentic G's here, doing the stuff that opens your eyes to what's possible out there. I had vaguely heard of that but reading it how smoothly it is run, you almost convinced me to buy a Bimmer and go pick it up in Munich next year. Do you or anyone knows if the other German manufacturers such as Benz and Audi also offer something like that with the same calibre of outstanding service? And most importantly, do they do that to Canada?

Definite +1 from me!!!

Benz and Audi both do, but their incentives are different if I recall correctly. Forgot exactly what they were. Some companies offer free airline tickets, others discount the car, others give you free hotel, etc. Volvo has a great program, but you get a volvo. Porsche actually charges you to do this...absurd.

My info is a year or two old, so maybe these programs have changed, but likely not.

This.Is.Awesome

I've heard of the program, but the data sheet blows my perception of it away. I just thought it was a cheaper way to get a BMW if you happened to be in Europe.

Fantastic idea! Wonder if other manufacturers have something similar.

ED is great, but keep in mind you won't get a European navigation. If you plan extensive driving in Europe just rent a car, this would be similar to picking up European Delivery only better, because you can drive around without worrying that you'll get lost.

I have done that, it's awesome. The navigation in my BMW had even live updates so it redirected me to different routes if there was traffic or construction. Driving was a breeze and a lot of fun, especially on autobahns. I went above 200 km/h at some point. I would be in jail in the US for doing that.

Nice, I assume you got the 330I?

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

That's really cool. You'd never get Europeans going to Tennessee to buy a Ford Focus like that.

What's cool is that my brothers and I have been thinking hard about buying our dad a Porsche, as he's a big fan of those. It looks like they do the same thing.

Thanks for making this thread.

Aloha!

If you want the Bimmer - then this is a great option.
But what's stopping you from just flying to Europe, renting a Fiat 500 (EUR 20/day) and driving around for two weeks?
[Image: fiat_500.jpg]

My old neighbor did this twice. Poor bastard ended up wrecking both of them too lol.

Quote: (06-07-2012 11:54 PM)Kona Wrote:  

That's really cool. You'd never get Europeans going to Tennessee to buy a Ford Focus like that.

True, but I've met plenty of Europeans who'd want to do that sort of thing with a Ford Mustang.

The best American vacation would be picking up a brand new Ford Mustang in Montreal, driving it down to New York, down to Miami and New Orleans, driving through the flyover states at fast speeds, taking your time through California (and the Grand Canyon), up through the Pacific Northwest, Vancouver, back down through Corn Valley, Chicago, Boston, New York, sell that piece of junk, and then off back to Europe or wherever they came from.

[Image: 0.jpg]

Quote: (06-08-2012 02:40 AM)K-man Wrote:  

But what's stopping you from just flying to Europe, renting a Fiat 500 (EUR 20/day) and driving around for two weeks?

Where can you get it for €20/day? I don't rent cars often but the cheapest rates I've seen in Europe are virtually double that. I rented a car a couple of days ago, after doing 100s of km the gas (around €50), not to mention some small tolls, cost more than the rental.

Quote: (06-07-2012 08:13 PM)control Wrote:  

ED is great, but keep in mind you won't get a European navigation. If you plan extensive driving in Europe just rent a car, this would be similar to picking up European Delivery only better, because you can drive around without worrying that you'll get lost.

I have done that, it's awesome. The navigation in my BMW had even live updates so it redirected me to different routes if there was traffic or construction. Driving was a breeze and a lot of fun, especially on autobahns. I went above 200 km/h at some point. I would be in jail in the US for doing that.

Not sure if I understand your comment. The BMW you pick up, if you order Navigation, will have the Europe maps preloaded in the hard drive of the car. You then use it just like you would in the US. I typed in all my addresses from Germany to Italy to France. Car would just direct me it was fantastic and awesome. Only once did I get lost, but that was in the Swiss Alps after they had closed down a mountain road. Found my way back though so no harm.

Quote: (06-07-2012 09:29 PM)rudebwoy Wrote:  

Nice, I assume you got the 330I?

In 06 I got a 330i, in 08 I got a 335i.

Quote: (06-08-2012 02:40 AM)K-man Wrote:  

I'm sure there are cheaper ways of renting a car in Europe. But this is more about the experience, and if you need/want a new car, can afford a BMW, then this is an unmatched way to go about it. Also, when you rent a car I assume you have to return it where you picked it up. With ED, you take delivery in Munich, but you can drop it off in numerous other European countries so you don't have to make the return trip.

Thanks man. I'm definitely interested in this and will do my research. My plan is to do something like that next summer. Will be also researching what offers Benz and Audi have for these types of deals. Btw, to drive during those 2 weeks, can you drive using your US/Canada driver's licence or would you need an international one?

Also, wouldn't be cheaper if one were to walk in a dealership in Germany, pay cash and pick it up at the factory and then have it shipped to Canada?

Quote: (06-07-2012 06:40 PM)slubu Wrote:  

Quote: (06-07-2012 06:16 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Definite +1 from me!!!

Benz and Audi both do, but their incentives are different if I recall correctly. Forgot exactly what they were. Some companies offer free airline tickets, others discount the car, others give you free hotel, etc. Volvo has a great program, but you get a volvo. Porsche actually charges you to do this...absurd.

My info is a year or two old, so maybe these programs have changed, but likely not.

Quote: (06-08-2012 07:52 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Thanks man. I'm definitely interested in this and will do my research. My plan is to do something like that next summer. Will be also researching what offers Benz and Audi have for these types of deals. Btw, to drive during those 2 weeks, can you drive using your US/Canada driver's licence or would you need an international one?

Also, wouldn't be cheaper if one were to walk in a dealership in Germany, pay cash and pick it up at the factory and then have it shipped to Canada?

In Germany you do not need a separate license, but for example in Austria you do. Depends on the country.

You would think it would be cheaper, but it isn't. BMWs are actually more expensive in Germany than here. Also, you run into spec problems because at least for America, there are tighter emission controls so the US built BMWs I believe have different aspects to them that allow them to be US-compatible.

It has always been the case that only North America maps are preloaded in navigation systems on ED cars bound for the US. I checked with BMW dealer as recently as past February. If that has changed, then this is great.

Quote: (06-08-2012 07:46 AM)slubu Wrote:  

. Also, when you rent a car I assume you have to return it where you picked it up. With ED, you take delivery in Munich, but you can drop it off in numerous other European countries so you don't have to make the return trip.

You can drop off your car at a different destination, but this may result in higher costs if it is in different country.

Slubu or anyone who can answer this:
You mentionned after picking up your car in Munich you got 2 weeks to use your car in Europe before it got shipped to the US. How about if I wanted to keep my car ib Europe for 2-3 months before havung it shipped to Canada, is that possible? That would be awesome to drive around Europe and spend some time in EE! Whats the scoop on that?

Quote: (06-10-2012 04:55 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Slubu or anyone who can answer this:
You mentionned after picking up your car in Munich you got 2 weeks to use your car in Europe before it got shipped to the US. How about if I wanted to keep my car ib Europe for 2-3 months before havung it shipped to Canada, is that possible? That would be awesome to drive around Europe and spend some time in EE! Whats the scoop on that?

From BMW:

BMW European Delivery provides 14 days of premium insurance and tourist registration with no additional cost to you. However, should you decide to extend this, additional coverage is available for purchase in 30-day increments only. Insurance beyond the 14 days and up to five (5) months is available for an additional premium. For example, for 45 days coverage, you would order two months of insurance, which is the actual coverage period, not one month plus 14 days. This coverage must extend to your drop-off date and can be arranged through your local BMW Center and must be done in advance to your pick up date. The European Delivery department must be notified a minimum of 2 weeks prior to pick up in Munich in the event of an insurance change. The change of insurance cannot be done upon arrival in Munich.

If the Vehicle is financed or leased through BMW Financial Services, the Vehicle must be released for shipment to the United States no later than 90 days from the date of delivery.

If you requested more than 2 months (3, 4 or 5 months) of insurance, you are required to drop off your vehicle at any of the German drop off locations. European Customs regulations mandate that the exportation process must start in the country of vehicle delivery, in your case Germany.

These new rates are effective as of January 1, 2012

Insurance period
Cost to customer
14 Days
$0
1 Month
$274.00
2 Months
$788.00
3 Months
$1,301.00
4 Months