rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

School me on flat caps (hats)

I'm looking to buy a flat cap as a peacocking accessory (my normal dress is fairly subdued, so I'm trying to add a little flair). Here are some examples.

Any thoughts on pattern?

I suppose different colors go better than others for certain skin tones. I'm Indian and my skin tone is pretty much like this guy's. Should I opt for a lighter or darker color cap?

Also, what material would be best for summer wear?

Its pretty simple to pick out a flat cap or a fedora as an accessory. You can get them pretty cheap as well from a wholesale discount store such as the Burlington Coat Factory. Just make sure to pick something simple; no elaborate patterns, and solid dark colors are good just make sure it looks like it is high quality. The act of sporting a fedora or flat cap is peacocking enough, no need to go elaborate on patterns or designs it could easily become overkill. A good rule of thumb I follow when picking quality clothes is "if it looks like a pain in the butt to make then it is a higher quality."

Quote: (05-25-2012 09:55 AM)assman Wrote:  

I'm looking to buy a flat cap as a peacocking accessory (my normal dress is fairly subdued, so I'm trying to add a little flair). Here are some examples.

Any thoughts on pattern?

I suppose different colors go better than others for certain skin tones. I'm Indian and my skin tone is pretty much like this guy's. Should I opt for a lighter or darker color cap?

Also, what material would be best for summer wear?

I started getting into hats about 2 years ago. Flat caps and newsboy caps are my thing. I've gone thru maybe 10-15 different hats trying to find the right one.

With your skin tone I would go with a black or charcoal gray color.

If you're just starting out with flat caps I recommend going into a hat store and trying on different ones. When I first started I thought they were all the same, not so. There are different variations of each hat such as the bill (length, width, cut, straight or bent), pattern (how many panels are sewn together to make the hat), ventilation, how far the hat goes down on the back of your head. Do you like to wear the bill straight on? At a jaunty angle? If at an angle, to the right or left? Bill pulled down to your eyebrows or up to your hairline?

Personally I found that newsboy caps work best for me, as opposed to ivy caps because I have a big head and I like the fact that they look old school.

Newsboy:
[Image: medium_167785-8-4-tweed1.jpg&width=375]

Ivy:

[Image: jaxon_marl-tweed-ivy_blk_lrg.jpg&width=375]

Where I live 98% of men don't wear hats. Of those that do probably 98% wear baseball caps. For those that wear a fedora or flat cap the LEAST popular is the newsboy, so if you are looking to be unique go with the newsboy.

They look goofy. Go with Kangol hats.

Quote: (05-26-2012 01:51 AM)houston Wrote:  

They look goofy. Go with Kangol hats.
Kangol is a brand and they make different hat styles, including the styles mentioned above. I assume you're referring to the style popularized by LL Cool J back in the late 80s and early 90s. I think that would look much worse, on me at least.

Yea Kangols are played out. That's the default for Kats not in the know. I like Ivy's even with my big head I line how it makes my face look
more rigid. Big It Up is a big store here in Tdot that focuses on these types of hats with good quality and prices. Check out their stir they may even ship to different parts.

I am big on Fedoras now too. Alot of brothers sleep on them but my white bredren have been in the know about fedoras for a long time now. I always get compliments from the ladies when I throw one on, and in all honesty my pick up rates are higher when I wear a cap or fedora!

http://www.bigitup.com/

Kangols are extremely played out.. 1+ for Goorin bros, I got a few hats in their Chicago store.

Something in grey hounds-tooth tweed would go with anything and looks stylish. You could pull it off in t-shirt and jeans or even a suit if it was of modern slim/skinny cut. Do not go mad on different patters/colours if you take my suggestion. It will look poor.

In addition, flat caps suit someone with a rounded face best. If you have a long, heart or thin face it may not work.

Quote: (05-26-2012 07:09 PM)Diomedes Wrote:  

In addition, flat caps suit someone with a rounded face best. If you have a long, heart or thin face it may not work.
Hmmm. What about someone with more of a square jaw? Not boxy, but slim face with a strong jawline.

A newsboy cap with a t-shirt and chunky knitted cardigan is a great look.

For summer go with linen, you'll want more of a newsboy or ivy cap for fall and winter and should get those in a wool or tweed with a herringbone pattern. And like Defguy said, the cap itself is peacocking enough so don't worry about doing bright colors or patterns, it will look too try hard.

Men's Style Consultant
http://www.masculine-style.com
The better you dress the worse you can behave.

Because of this thread I got a $10 flat hat from Walmart. Liked how it looked framing my face and also how it felt so I went online and bought 2 other ones... http://www.goorin.com/shop-hats/flatcaps/ford and
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Urban-Style-News...8710ad9a02

Will probably get 3 other ones within the month, but want to wait on getting the 2 from the internet first. Not sure I'll like the look/feel of the newsboy cabbie ivy on me (2nd link).

Guys, I know y'all hate Kangol but I need some help. I ordered a 504 Kangol hat and it fits me kind of big. Is there anything I can buy or do to fit my head my better/tighter? Thanks...

Send it back and get the right one. You're going to think about it when you wear it nonstop and not want to after long. If no Velcro some headband material inside it till it feels good.

Shit, its a Small. I just have a peanut head. I might go to Lids and see if they have anything to make it more plush.

Some designs come in XS. Or just take some HGH, and grow the noggin a little.