rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Tipping at bars and clubs

I've been hitting a favorite bar of mine for lunch and drinks during the week once in a while. Gives me a chance to schmooze the new barmaids when it's slow. I see the same girls working on Saturday nights. They come over and smile and say hi and take care of me right away.

If I'm off a day during the week I'll invite a girl out for a lunch date at the bar. If im working I roll dolo. I'll usually be suited up minus the tie. On Saturday nights I'll tone it down a little and just do jeans and a dress shirt. Suit would be way overdressed for the crowd there.

What are you guys dropping for a tip these days? I usually tip $1 per drink or 20% of the tab. So $50 bar tab gets a $10 tip.

I know it's useful to grease the bartenders. What's a decent percentage tip that's considered grease but not obnoxious? I'm obviously not gonna drop a $50 tip for a $50 bar tab.

My goal would be to use the hot barmaids' attention as DHV to my lunch date and to swoop the barmaids at some point in the future without coming across obnoxious or pretentious by over greasing. It's a delicate balance.

How do you guys lock down your favorite bar?

Team Nachos

I never tip. Saving my money for travel on a budget. Tipping does not get you laid or spending any money ever.

Here in the Netherlands..it's not even in the culture to tip.
By law its included into the prices on the menu.

Its the same in Germany

I am the cock carousel

Quote: (05-18-2012 07:56 PM)Sourcecode Wrote:  

Its the same in Germany

You probably get shitty ass service that way. Are the barmaids more prone to be cunts to patrons?

Team Nachos

Well Germany doesn't know about customer service to begin with.
Its not Waffle house where the waiters are expected to make a living off tips.
Taxes and service are included in the price so when you see 15,80 thats exactly what you pay.

If you tip.its only rounding up so you don't have a bunch of change left over.

There's more times than not when you attempt to give a tip,the server is confused and might try to give you a bunch of change back.

I am the cock carousel

Quote: (05-18-2012 08:20 PM)Sourcecode Wrote:  

Its not Waffle house were the waiters are expected to make a living off tips.
Taxes and service are included in the price so when you see 15,80 thats exactly what you pay.

There's more times than not when you attempt to give a tip,the server is confused and might try to give you a bunch of change back.
Agreed.

So how do you lock down a bar or club in countries where there is no tipping? How do you DHV to a girl in a situation like that?

Team Nachos

Quote: (05-18-2012 08:02 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

Its the same in Germany

You probably get shitty ass service that way. Are the barmaids more prone to be cunts to patrons?

I agree with the Europeans on here. When I moved here, the tipping culture was foreign to me. I remember I ordered a meal once and I was pleased with how the waitress was acting. She was overly nice (didn't know she was hoing for a tip) and I thought "Ooh, what they say about customer service in North America is true!"
I even thought she wanted a piece of Moma's pie. Anyway, after I had finished, I paid for my meal and left.
I noticed as I left, she was scanning me with a nasty look and I was confused.
Quickly, my brain scanned the archives for the many Dilbert comics and American sitcoms that I watched.
I then realised that in North America, they expect people to tip.

What I don't like about the tip culture is that it seems to be mandatory whereas I feel that tipping should be done if I feel the waitress or waiter has done an exemplary job. I don't feel that if someone does their regular job, they should get a tip. But that's just the Euro brain in operation.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Quote: (05-18-2012 08:29 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

So how do you lock down a bar or club in countries where there is no tipping? How do you DHV to a girl in a situation like that?
Tipping is a DLV. So is buying overpriced drinks and food. You lock a bar down by not spending any money there.

You simple go often..become a regular.
Be friendly with the people working.

Why do you need to using tipping and dropping cash as a way to boost your status?
To me..that's a waste of money.

If you're trying the game the waitress..just talk to her.
If you're trying to bring a girl to the bar and use it as a DHV just be a regular at the bar.

One place I go often, Ive made friends with the main guy..so when I come in even on busy nights ill usually get a free round of shots for the people I bring in and the girls no me by name.
And Im same person that will give exact change for each beer I buy.
I would assume..if me not tipping equaled me getting shitty service...I wouldnt be getting Jager shots on the house.

I would also say..NEVER get drunk at a bar that you want some status at.
I just feel that its tacky to get shit faced even if its your favorite place.
You wont be know as the cool guy that comes in and get drinks..youre know as the drunk that gets wasted all the time

I am the cock carousel

^agree

To become known at a bar, there's a bit of a hierarchy. I'd say it goes as follows:

1. Be a manager at said bar.
2. Be an employee of said bar.
3. Be a well known industry employee. Chef, floor manager, etc. at a high profile restaurant.
4. Work at a bar/restaurant where you, personally, have hooked up a manager at the bar you're frequenting.
5. Be a celebrity.
6. Be personal friends with a manager of said bar.
7. Be personal friends with a regular employee of said bar.
----There is a line here. This is where, even if you're a regular, and a GOOD regular, there is no guarantee that you will reap ANY benefit from visiting the bar or tipping well. It depends on the management.
8. Be a regular, and by regular I mean someone that comes in weekly or bi-weekly, tips appropriately, and behaves well.
9. Be a baller, dressed down, schmoozing the staff, and dropping mad cash.
10. Everyone else.

You'll notice, even above celebrities, the people that get hooked up the most and treated like gold are restaurant/bar/service industry people. I've got a few bars in L.A. that I can walk into with a date and tell the bartender I know, "Just take care of us." That means I always have a bourbon drink in front of me, and my date has a champagne drink in front of her at all times. There is no better DHV, and if you play it down correctly, girls can't help but comment things like, "Wow, they seem to know you here." When we finish, our drinks are replenished until I indicate otherwise. When I settle my tab, anywhere from 1-4 rounds will be taken care of, and I tip that bartender 20% of what the bill SHOULD have been, so it's in their interest to comp as much as possible to increase their tip. My final tab including tip is typically less what most people pay, and it ensures I maintain this treatment.

What's more, is after making connections with high end bartenders, I can go to other major cities and have that person call in a reservation for me, ensuring that I receive the same treatment when I arrive. I'm not talking about sports bars here, I'm talking about Bourbon and Branch in SF, Buffalo Club in Santa Monica, Milk and Honey in NY. Upscale cocktail places.

If you're a random joe shmoe, throwing around generous tips generally does very little for you.

It's worth every player's time to establish some very solid connects and friendships at restaurants and bars. It can save you money and be a good DHV over time.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

I'm poor and I tip.

It depends when though. If the person mixing my drinks is a hot chick, only if the service is already excellent.
Busted chick, I'll tip a little if she is chatty and friendly.

I'll tip well for a grizzled old biker dude-type bartender. I know that guy is not making in tips what the hot chicks do and being nice to him is going to guarantee you a lot of things. You have a friend to chat with in the bar, social proof, probably good service, and a great source of information that could lead to lays.

Case in point, I have a karaoke bar on lock back at college. It's owned by this enormous ex-bouncer (guy must be 300 pounds but fairly built), his girlfriend, and a really femmy gay dude. All of them are great social proof. I never get carded, always get recommended "the usual" when I walk in (cliche but it is social proof), and they once told me ten minutes in advance that the cops were going to bust the place.

Get nice and lock a spot down to get free drinks. I'll buy a barmaid a shot but I won't tip her more than a buck ever unless the service is great and I feel way better after the transaction the before.

You don't get freebies shelling out wads of cash. It's the exact opposite unless your dealing with ultra-high-end places. Tips can get you drinks quicker but just flashing a Red works just as well.

I've covered the floor in bars and restaurants, and bars are where I made the best tips. Little but often is a good rule of thumb if it's a hotel setting; staff will remember you and get to you quicker when it's busy, or at least quickLY if there's a few pounds for them on top of a £50 bill. Plus, as people have already said, they will comp you the occasional drink/snack to keep you happy if you come in regularly or stay more than a weekend. Nothing huge, but in places where a glass of wine or a cocktail could be 10-15 pounds it makes a difference. from experience, I have given customers extra glass of champagne here and there when i know we'll get it back in tips.
mind you that will depend on who runs the bar, since i knew one manager who complained there should be automatic gratuity included for guests who asked for tap water, and would charge customers for spilled drinks
this only really applies to UK though, since tips are extra here, not a necessity.

"The woman most eager to jump out of her petticoat to assert her rights is the first to jump back into it when threatened with a switching for misusing them,"
-Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Quote: (05-18-2012 08:32 PM)Moma Wrote:  

Quote: (05-18-2012 08:02 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

Its the same in Germany

I agree with the Europeans on here. When I moved here, the tipping culture was foreign to me. I remember I ordered a meal once and I was pleased with how the waitress was acting. She was overly nice (didn't know she was hoing for a tip) and I thought "Ooh, what they say about customer service in North America is true!"
I even thought she wanted a piece of Moma's pie. Anyway, after I had finished, I paid for my meal and left.
I noticed as I left, she was scanning me with a nasty look and I was confused.
Quickly, my brain scanned the archives for the many Dilbert comics and American sitcoms that I watched.
I then realised that in North America, they expect people to tip.

What I don't like about the tip culture is that it seems to be mandatory whereas I feel that tipping should be done if I feel the waitress or waiter has done an exemplary job. I don't feel that if someone does their regular job, they should get a tip. But that's just the Euro brain in operation.

Funny story. But I agree that tipping should be reserved for a job well done. Also there shouldn't be any tipping just to grab a beer out of the fridge. Maybe if the drink is complicated to make, but not just to grab a beer.

I try to tip $0.50 per beer if I can afford it (sometimes $1). If money is tight I'll just not tip, or will tip every other drink.

Tipping gets you far in the states. I typically tip minimum 20%. I tip my dry cleaner, I'm not sure rather or not it's customary, but now I bring in 8 shirts, he charges me for 4, plus a 10% discount. I get hooked up at all my local bars and lots of the bartenders know me by name. In the long run, tipping good will usually save you money, or at least you break even and you're hooking up your bartender and not the people charging you $12 for a drink that cost them $2. Some of you cats are making my jaw drop with your tipping ethic. Do you realize most these people you're working for make $4 an hour? I'm hoping most of you live in Europe. And BTW, being European doesn't exempt you from tipping in the US. And if you think it does, expect shitty service and to never be hooked up. I remember a German girl telling me once, "It's ok, I don't have to tip, people know I'm german, they don't expect it." This was at a bar we were drinking at free all night.

I read somewhere that bartenders and waitstaff call bad tippers "Canadians". [Image: lol.gif]

Team Nachos

The best 3 tips I've ever gotten (tie) were from an Italian, a dude from Netherlands, and an American. Italians normally tip mediocre and people from Netherlands typically tip crap though.

For bartenders that I know and take care of me, I tip them $5 on the first drink, and $1 per drink thereafter.

At restaurants, I tip 15% for mediocre service and up to 25% for a job well done.

There's a sandwich shop near me, and I get along pretty well with the staff. They never charge me anything, just point to the tip jar. For an $8 sandwich menu price I just toss $5 in the tip jar.

Quote: (02-16-2014 01:05 PM)jariel Wrote:  
Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.

Do you give the bartender money for beer?
like said before..why get a tip for just getting a beer out the fridge? people have dogs and kids that can do the same thing.

Im from the states..so i understand the tipping culture..but living abroad now i question it.
its pretty stupid to me. both on the companies for expecting the consumer to pay the workers salary directly and the workers for expecting a tip all the time.

Why would you give 15 percent for mediocre service?

I am the cock carousel

Quote: (05-27-2012 06:52 PM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

Tipping gets you far in the states. Do you realize most these people you're working for make $4 an hour? I'm hoping most of you live in Europe. And BTW, being European doesn't exempt you from tipping in the US. And if you think it does, expect shitty service and to never be hooked up. I remember a German girl telling me once, "It's ok, I don't have to tip, people know I'm german, they don't expect it." This was at a bar we were drinking at free all night.

It still shouldn't be mandatory. It's not a tip if it is expected. A tip should be a surprise for good service. It's a nice gesture that has been turned into an expectation.
Just add the tip into the price and then let me decide (based on the person's service) whether I should tip them.

So what if they make 4 dollars an hour? Blame the management for that, not me. Their salary has nothing to do with how much I tip.

If I have the money, I'll tip them but I don't like the expectation, it makes people smarmy since they are angling for tips.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

I am in Germany:

I tip hairdressers about 10%, I tip about the same when I am in a restaurant with table service. When I go to the bar to order a drink, I usually don't. Maybe I tip every 4th or 5th time.

Some people tip too much, I think. If I get a tab of 6,90 EUR, I might round up to 7,50, but not 8.

Just my $0.02

Quote: (06-02-2012 02:05 PM)muc Wrote:  

I am in Germany:

I tip hairdressers about 10%, I tip about the same when I am in a restaurant with table service. When I go to the bar to order a drink, I usually don't. Maybe I tip every 4th or 5th time.

Some people tip too much, I think. If I get a tab of 6,90 EUR, I might round up to 7,50, but not 8.

Just my $0.02

Hairdressers are different. They're some skill and talent involved in making you look good. It's not like pouring a beer in a cup and handing it to you.

I have a regular girl that cuts my hair. I tip her 50%.

Team Nachos

Quote: (06-02-2012 02:13 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

Btw. off topic. But I always go to male hairdressers. I don't know why, but I just want a man to cut my hair. And I don't mean a gay guy. Maybe I am just old-fashioned.

Quote: (06-02-2012 02:15 PM)muc Wrote:  

Quote: (06-02-2012 02:13 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

Btw. off topic. But I always go to male hairdressers. I don't know why, but I just want a man to cut my hair. And I don't mean a gay guy. Maybe I am just old-fashioned.

I had 3 bars in Pittsburgh I was a regular at. I knew all the bartenders and even partied with a lot of them. I was treated like greatness everytime I was there. They new me and I knew them.

There's nothing like being a "VIP" at a bar.

BUT....now that I'm back in Dallas I don't have that luxury so I have to find that way in again. It's def. harder in Dallas though.