rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Tip for travellers to Thailand

Don't get in a motorbike accident. Especially not at 3am, in a flash rainstorm, after drinking. It sucks donkey balls. You can trust me on this one.

I can't have sex with your personality, and I can't put my penis in your college degree, and I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams, so why are you sharing all this information with me?

I remember a thread a while back on Everything Else that talked about this. Some members had a few experiences with this, there were some graphic and gory details too.

Why is this so popular in Thailand?

Don't get on motorbikes period. That's the best advice I can give you. While it might seem appealing giving Bangkok traffic or distances in the tourist regions the full weight of any fuck up is on you should anything go wrong.

Quote: (05-12-2012 07:06 PM)Vicious Wrote:  

Don't get on motorbikes period. That's the best advice I can give you. While it might seem appealing giving Bangkok traffic or distances in the tourist regions the full weight of any fuck up is on you should anything go wrong.

Yeah, the full weight is on you. These countries are like the Wild West, so you've got to be responsible about your shit. I think it's alright to jet around on a motorbike in Northern Thailand, like Pai or Chiang Rai. But yeah, stay clear of the populated areas because it's just not worth the risk.

Absolutely, save it .for the islands

This happened in the islands. Don't know why it's so common in Thailand - about half the falang I know here have been in some kind of motorbike accident of varying severity. I've driven a bike for years with no problems before. I'm a bit mangled right now but I'm more pissed that I was supposed to be capturing the Portugese flag last night.

I can't have sex with your personality, and I can't put my penis in your college degree, and I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams, so why are you sharing all this information with me?

So many bike accidents here. What is it that makes people, who don't usually ride bikes, get on them when drunk?

Shitty man. Yeah, they are dangerous for sure. My friend who lurks around this forum got into one in Cambodia. He was on a motortaxi I believe and a Cambodian hit them from behind and the Cambodian went flying head over head. Apparently the Cambodian guy who hit them died and my friend got some pretty gnarly road rash, but he was obviously very lucky in comparison.

I hear it is super common down on the Islands.

Yeah it seems to happen to a lot of people on the islands, know a lot of people who get into accidents. It's mostly because people don't know how to ride them properly and ride them drunk. I avoid them at all costs, dangerous and too many of the companies that rent them out are scams, they'll claim you broke the bike for a minor scratch and charge thousands of baht.

Quote: (05-13-2012 06:43 AM)AlphaTravel Wrote:  

Yeah it seems to happen to a lot of people on the islands, know a lot of people who get into accidents. It's mostly because people don't know how to ride them properly and ride them drunk. I avoid them at all costs, dangerous and too many of the companies that rent them out are scams, they'll claim you broke the bike for a minor scratch and charge thousands of baht.

Ya not to mention a lot of thai people are terrible drivers and drive drunk too. I took some chick on a date (both of us very drunk) and she drove us back to my condo and it was not a fun experience. She could not drive at all. I remember her swerving almost hitting several cars. I made fun of her driving and she said she had been in 3 accidents including hitting two poles on the road (no joke and shes like 19 years old). I find out the next morning she was so drunk the night before she could not even find where she parked her car... I had to help her find it.

Ya. I would NEVER drive here period haha. Let alone drive a motorbike. With drunk chicks like this on the road...... I just value my life too much.

Quote: (05-12-2012 05:26 PM)Soma Wrote:  

Don't get in a motorbike accident. Especially not at 3am, in a flash rainstorm, after drinking. It sucks donkey balls. You can trust me on this one.

I'd say riding a bike in a flash rainstorm after drinking is a bad idea everywhere in the world, not just in Thailand.

Yeah the locals will happily drive cars and bikes drunk, lost track of the amount of times I've been in the back on a bar on on a bike with a drunken thai chick.

Quote: (05-13-2012 11:58 PM)AlphaTravel Wrote:  

Yeah the locals will happily drive cars and bikes drunk, lost track of the amount of times I've been in the back on a bar on on a bike with a drunken thai chick.

Last year in Chiang Mai I was walking home because I spent all of my money out drinkin so didn't have enough for a tuk tuk. I run into this Thai guy who I was betting with at some Muay Thai fights the week before and some Thai girl was with him. She's only a 5 but it's nearly 4AM and she offered to give me a ride home on her motorbike so I go for it.

Half way home she turns to me and says "I mao maak! Can not drive, you must drive!" I tell the bitch I don't know how to drive a motorbike so she has to. Of course I have no helmet on and am in a t-shirt so all I can do is think how super fucked I will be if we get into an accident.

We didn't wreck, and I did get to fuck her a couple of times before I got 12 phone calls in a row and a text message of her threatening to kill me for "cheating" on her. Crazy girls lol.

Quote: (05-13-2012 11:58 PM)AlphaTravel Wrote:  

This is something you can prevent by using the licensed taxis. Sure, their drivers may be drunk, high, crazy or all of that, but it is less likely to happen, and even if it is, it dramatically lowers your chance to get into an accident. And even if you do, at least there is no liability on your side, which might save you from some jail time if you happen not to have some pocket money to spend.

I have said it before, and I'll repeat it: DO NOT rent the scooter in SE Asia.

I'm talking about thai girls I'm on dates with driving me around in their cars or bikes after we've been out drinking. I can't ride a scooter so I'd never rent one. I've been here for quite a while now I know all about taxis. [Image: wink.gif]

Just witnessed a tourist being carried out my hotel in a bodybag, stench of death is over bearing. Hotel staff are saying they reckon he's been there for days based on smell and whatever else they saw in the room. Poor guy. I hope he had some fun out here before he kicked it.

Quote: (05-14-2012 03:06 AM)AlphaTravel Wrote:  

I'm talking about thai girls I'm on dates with driving me around in their cars or bikes after we've been out drinking. I can't ride a scooter so I'd never rent one. I've been here for quite a while now I know all about taxis. [Image: wink.gif]

Just witnessed a tourist being carried out my hotel in a bodybag, stench of death is over bearing. Hotel staff are saying they reckon he's been there for days based on smell and whatever else they saw in the room. Poor guy. I hope he had some fun out here before he kicked it.

Scary. What do they think he died of?

No one seems to know. Hopefully it wasn't anything gruesome.

The term "motorbike" is used loosely. When I hear of a someone crashing a motorbike in Thailand it ends up being a step through or a moped. The superslab road construction is brutal in the rain, add skinny and small diameter wheels and they are a deadly combo. One of my best friends is missing two toes due to riding a moped in sandals in Thailand.

It seems like people treat them as toys and fail to realize that they are much more dangerous than an actual motorcycle eg. large wheels and higher CC's.

I rented a 250CC Honda dirt bike for a month in Thailand and I had no issues, but seen too many tourists struggle and fail with the shitty 50CC bikes. Road rash was almost a badge of honor, but hearing of guys getting shitfaced and crashing and being carried away on a stretcher is an all too common reality.