rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Gringo I knew shot and killed in Medellin

http://colombiareports.com/colombia-news...mbia-.html

Damn, was he a long time traveler to Medellin?

Quote: (04-26-2012 09:25 PM)joehoya Wrote:  

Damn, was he a long time traveler to Medellin?

The guy traveled all over Colombia....spent about 3 years in Colombia all together and had just married a Paisa about two months ago....what he was doing at that hostel...I haven't a clue.

The guy's name sounds real familiar, but virtually all of the middle-aged and older gringos I know are whoremongers in Medellin, so it is probably just a coincidence that the name is familiar.

Sorry about your friend.

Quote: (04-26-2012 10:30 PM)joehoya Wrote:  

The guy's name sounds real familiar, but virtually all of the middle-aged and older gringos I know are whoremongers in Medellin, so it is probably just a coincidence that the name is familiar.

Sorry about your friend.

The guy was more of one of those wife hunter types and every far from a whore monger. The guys that I know that live in Medellin are all married or have live in girlfriends.....I think the mongers are mostly the tourist types just down for a visit.

I just got back last night from Medellin....Wow! such a shame. One of my expat friends that lives in Poblado says that the gringo tourists are starting to be targeted more and more by drugging and robbing. He told me its usually a team of two young girls and there "gay male friend" I hope this killing in parque lleras is just an isolated incident.

Damn just heard about this today. Really sorry. Man, is Medellin getting worse for foreigners..?

Scary stuff, super scary stuff

Terrible news for the family. Poor guy.

Rule 1: don't do what he did and others who get assaulted. He was in a hostel, I doubt he had an expensive watch. If he did, he would be in some villa.
Rule 2: don't be a hero. Give them exactly what they want calmly.
Rule 3: have a stash where you keep your valuables and another stash to give to robbers.
Rule. 4: small currency notes, expired credit card and license put in cheap wallet in your pocket. They ask for it give it immediately. They will be gone quickly. They won't sit there and go over it tooth and comb. Larger currency notes, you have money pouches to be concealed around your waist, if not put some notes around your ankle covered by your sock. Or in shoes. Noblody checks socks.
Or be a wise guy ( donnie Brasco). Use a money clip and no wallet.
Rule 5: don't dress or act rich. If you look like you don't have a lot of money even though you are a gringo, chances are they won't target you.

Please add to any of these basic rules of thumb.

I would like to add this. Within the last few years, Canadian tourists were robbed and/or killed in Mexico. Now, this made headlines back home in Canada. These tourists all for the most part were on vacation in resorts etc not in Tijuana. But in Cancan, puerto Vallarta and Acapulco. How many tourists from USA, Germany ec, got killed in Mexico in the same resort towns. I am sure a few. but we don't hear about it because it's more local news. Here is a link to a news article showing Canadians killed in Mexico alone never mind other countries. http://www.thestar.com/news/world/articl...it-justice

I haven't been back to Mexico as I prefer Cuba due to safety. The police corruption, incompetence and inability to blame a mexican as a culprit in crimes against tourists makes me hesitant in ever going again. I hope the Colombian authorities catch these mothe fu'ers.

Will this incident or any other stop me from traveling. No. But, it shows that you have to be vigilant at all times and comply with these mother f'rs demands. Carry the cheap wallet and give it immediately. Gotta make my trip to Walmart to get me a few.

people get robbed at gun/knife point all the time in medellin it doenst even get close to making news. as tomtud said u just remain calm and hand over ur stuff. a candian bloke in cali tried to playt he hero and attack the ladrones and ended up being stabbed and found himself in intensive care for 3 weeks.

sorry to hear about this guy.

I'm at this hostel right now. Kind of scary. I was here on Wed night so i assume it must have been wed of last week. Interesting because i was talking to the receptionist about robberies in medellin yesterday. Of course she didn't mention this incident. But I remember her clearly saying if you get robbed to not resist and give them what they want. I guess this advice came from recent experience. So weird now to think of that conversation. Could have happened to anyone too who just happened to be sitting at the computer in the hostel lobby which is where i happen to be right now yikes!

Also it's kind of a quiet hostel. Casa Kiwi is much more popular and busy and is just around the corner. I only came here because casa kiwi was booked. hmm

What happens if a gringo shoots someone trying to rob them? Can Gringos carry? I know it's not that bad but you damn well know when you go to Detroit it's a good idea to have a gun.

quarter mile from where i stayed a few months ago...crazy.

Quote: (04-27-2012 04:05 AM)tomtud Wrote:  

Terrible news for the family. Poor guy.

Although im not necessarily against your rule number 2, i have seen guys getting robbed and giving away their goods in situations where they could get away, sometimes reacting can not be that bad. I remember when i was in DR, 8 dominican kids (aged 17,18,19) walked up to this black american old cat who was in the military during his younger years, they asked him for his laptop and he quickly broken the arms of two of these young kids and the rest just ran away like little pussies.

If the guy is loaded (carries a gun), then there is a high probability that i will be giving him my goods, if i see that i could fight and get away, then i will.

I remember this black guy walking into the train station one time and asked this white guy for his phone (while he was talking on it), the white guy just gave him the phone and the black cat just ran away. Im sure if the white guy resisted, nothing would have happened (this thief was mad pussy, i could smell it).

I am sure if white guys start reacting more, they will be less of a target. Remember this, thieves target weak people and they usually see white people as weak in that context. Although i had a white british friend who was a straight G, some guy tried to rob him in Rio de Janeiro and he has beaten the shit out of this thief.

Now, if i was in the same situation as the gringo that was murdered,then yes, i would have given the thieves my valuables, i wouldnt react when a guy puts a gun in my face, thats just mad stupid.

Dang.. I will still make it down. But, I may have to have some sort of protection ...legal or not. Im not the sitting duck, type.
Also, I say this because Medellin made it illegal to carry without the permit issued by the military-Gov 3 months ago.

"All My Bitches love me....I love all my bitches,
but its like soon as I cum... I come to my senses."

Freaky shit..getting killed in a hostel. In the article you can find a link of a story referring to a shooting last year in Belen. This guy was walking with a golden chain around his neck..wtf!!!??

there was also the french guy whos body was found in a burnt out taxi in Bello... god only knows what happened there.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/20...z1tF9yA5Sj

Quote: (04-28-2012 03:31 AM)elabayarde Wrote:  

Dang.. I will still make it down. But, I may have to have some sort of protection ...legal or not. Im not the sitting duck, type.
Also, I say this because Medellin made it illegal to carry without the permit issued by the military-Gov 3 months ago.

Play out the scenario to determine the best course of action:
You have 2 options, 3 scenarios, resulting in 6 likely outcomes.
OPTIONS:
1) You carry a firearm illegally and are willing to use it.
2) You don't carry a firearm illegally, but are willing to hand over your money.

SCENARIOS:
A) You don't get robbed, you never get stopped by the police:
B) You don't get robbed, but you are randomly stopped by the police
C) Someone does try to rob you.

OUTCOMES:
1A) You are carrying, but are never stopped by police or robbed. RESULT: Nothing happens
2A) You are NOT carrying, but are never stopped by police or robbed. RESULT: Nothing happens
1B) You are carrying, but you DO get stopped by the police. RESULT: Arrested and likely jailed in a Colombian jail/prison for illegal possession of a firearm.
2B) You are NOT carrying, but you DO get stopped by the police. RESULT: Nothing happens
1C) You are carrying, and someone tries to rob you. RESULT. You defend yourself by shooting the attacker, so you were not robbed BUT you are now investigated (and possibly arrested and jailed by the police) for illegal possession of a firearm. So you saved your ego and a hundred bucks, but are now possibly facing prison.
2C) You are NOT carrying, and someone tries to rob you. RESULT. You hand over your cash, the robber leaves. You're out a hundred bucks, your ego is bruised, and you feel a bit violated, BUT you still have your freedom.

So in all three scenarios the result is the same or BETTER (other than for your ego) if you do not ILLEGALLY carry a firearm in Medellin. This is where reality hits the Charles Bronson mythology. For safety you need to make your assessments COMPLETELY DISPASSIONATELY. Be an ICE MAN and remove any emotion (including ego) out of your decision.

If a guy pulls a gun and I am in a foreign country, I hand over the cash. Simple as that. If, in the EXTREMELY RARE CASE it is an attempted kidnapping, I am going to make a run for it. Time would be MUCH BETTER spent developing tactics to avoid being a victim in the first place (e.g. developing heightened situational awareness, having an exit strategy for anywhere you go, NOT BEING DRUNK IN PUBLIC, etc) than illegally carrying a firearm in a third world country with a judicial system where, if arrested, it could be MONTHS before you even see a judge about bail.

shot dead for $11?

I don't want to preach anything, but as I understand it he got in trouble by struggling or resisting something for whatever reason...tragic.

ohter reports say he was 49, not 59: http://www.topix.com/co/medellin

"Fart, and if you must, fart often. But always fart without apology. Fart for freedom, fart for liberty, and fart proudly" (Ben Franklin)

Quote: (04-27-2012 04:05 AM)tomtud Wrote:  

Rule 1: don't do what he did and others who get assaulted. He was in a hostel, I doubt he had an expensive watch. If he did, he would be in some villa.
Rule 3: have a stash where you keep your valuables and another stash to give to robbers.
Rule. 4: small currency notes, expired credit card and license put in cheap wallet in your pocket. They ask for it give it immediately. They will be gone quickly. They won't sit there and go over it tooth and comb. Larger currency notes, you have money pouches to be concealed around your waist, if not put some notes around your ankle covered by your sock. Or in shoes. Noblody checks socks.
Or be a wise guy ( donnie Brasco). Use a money clip and no wallet.
Rule 5: don't dress or act rich. If you look like you don't have a lot of money even though you are a gringo, chances are they won't target you.

This is a pretty succinct list of rules to adhere to.

I knew the English guy who was killed that they mentioned in the article; http://colombiareports.com/colombia-news...ellin.html

In short, he defied rule #5 and paid the ultimate price.

What is the situation over there at the moment? Are muggings increasing in frequency against gringos? I try to keep an eye on colombia reports and it seems to be so. I am heading back over early next year and will be keeping an eye on the situation there (although in reality it isnt going to stop me from going).

Quote: (04-29-2012 01:48 AM)joehoya Wrote:  

Quote: (04-28-2012 03:31 AM)elabayarde Wrote:  

Play out the scenario to determine the best course of action:
You have 2 options, 3 scenarios, resulting in 6 likely outcomes.
OPTIONS:
1) You carry a firearm illegally and are willing to use it.
2) You don't carry a firearm illegally, but are willing to hand over your money.

SCENARIOS:
A) You don't get robbed, you never get stopped by the police:
B) You don't get robbed, but you are randomly stopped by the police
C) Someone does try to rob you.

OUTCOMES:
1A) You are carrying, but are never stopped by police or robbed. RESULT: Nothing happens
2A) You are NOT carrying, but are never stopped by police or robbed. RESULT: Nothing happens
1B) You are carrying, but you DO get stopped by the police. RESULT: Arrested and likely jailed in a Colombian jail/prison for illegal possession of a firearm.
2B) You are NOT carrying, but you DO get stopped by the police. RESULT: Nothing happens
1C) You are carrying, and someone tries to rob you. RESULT. You defend yourself by shooting the attacker, so you were not robbed BUT you are now investigated (and possibly arrested and jailed by the police) for illegal possession of a firearm. So you saved your ego and a hundred bucks, but are now possibly facing prison.
2C) You are NOT carrying, and someone tries to rob you. RESULT. You hand over your cash, the robber leaves. You're out a hundred bucks, your ego is bruised, and you feel a bit violated, BUT you still have your freedom.

So in all three scenarios the result is the same or BETTER (other than for your ego) if you do not ILLEGALLY carry a firearm in Medellin. This is where reality hits the Charles Bronson mythology. For safety you need to make your assessments COMPLETELY DISPASSIONATELY. Be an ICE MAN and remove any emotion (including ego) out of your decision.

If a guy pulls a gun and I am in a foreign country, I hand over the cash. Simple as that. If, in the EXTREMELY RARE CASE it is an attempted kidnapping, I am going to make a run for it. Time would be MUCH BETTER spent developing tactics to avoid being a victim in the first place (e.g. developing heightened situational awareness, having an exit strategy for anywhere you go, NOT BEING DRUNK IN PUBLIC, etc) than illegally carrying a firearm in a third world country with a judicial system where, if arrested, it could be MONTHS before you even see a judge about bail.

Well, Did you consider the last option which takes place where they intend to kill you because of your being a potential witness(many ARMED criminals think this way).
As for ego...Even when concealed carrying I would absolutely hand over the cash. It is not ego. Its being caught in a situation, wishing i had a weapon to defend myself. I will take jail time over a casket... maybe thats the Marine Corp mentality talking... but its how I think. Again, I will absolutely give my wallet and my cash to a robber even when I am carrying. The way I see it, is I should have been more vigilant. But, giving my life isn't negotiable. I've got tooooooo much game to run, and flags to gain!!! Just my two cents.

Just to point something out.... last time i was in santo domingo our guesthouse was robbed by someone brandishing. Somehow when they were escaping they dropped a round(bullet) on the ground. All the guest had there doors locked that night so they couldn't get in quietly without waking the whole neighborhood. They manage to only get shirts and a ladder. So if they are desperate enough to steal that stuff... What do u think they would have done if they could get into a gringos room, while they were sleeping. JACKPOT.

More reasons not to go to south america.

Quote: (04-29-2012 10:35 AM)Rurik Wrote:  

More reasons not to go to south america.

And this is exactly what guys like us what everyone else to think.

First of all, RIP to this unfortunate person who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Can't remind us enough not to play the hero in those places.
Rurik,
have you even been to South America? From your one liner it seems you haven't and if I may give you an advice is to please do not visit it as you're not ready for it. Stay in more mainstream gringo friendly places like say in Mexico to get your latina fix.