rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Guatemala

Guatemala

In lieu of the change of course...

Who here has been to Guatemala? I will be there for about a month and a half, likely splitting my time between Antigua, Guatemala City, and somewhere on the coast.

Any tips?

Guapo you mentioned its dangerous, I have been told that and am more or less prepared for it. But I will be working / researching down there so I will have my laptop with me.

Has anyone bounced around via bus in central america? Doable?

General vibe at discoteques / clubs / bars in Cent. Amer.?

Guatemala

also, anyone know of some good surfing spots in central america, ideally north of Nicaragua?

Guatemala

Quote: (10-30-2009 10:48 AM)College Game Wrote:  

also, anyone know of some good surfing spots in central america, ideally north of Nicaragua?

Well you can surf right in Guatemala. That's why I went. I was disappointed in the waves but had a good time. The food is also going to be an issue, although I only stayed along the coast. Everywhere I went people were pushing tilapia and other bad fish.

First off, I think it's really important that you stay at this place. Its a hippie commune. When I was there there were a bunch of Mormon girls cutting loose. A few of them had never drank the booze before. It was fantastic. Plus all the normal surfer chicks. The bugs were really bad and the food was awful though. The waves were decent. But girls galore from all over the place.

Monte Rico was pretty cool. Nice beach town. Everything is cheap. There's a lot of bars there.

San Jose had some pretty good bars, too. Lots of hippie chicks. I think that's probably the best city along the coast.

Regarding the danger, there are soldiers everywhere. There's also guys walking around with guns in holsters. They won't mess with you. You'll see when you get there that the Guatemalans are little people. I was at least a foot taller than everybody. Just go John McEnroe like crazy and you'll scare them away.

Unfortunately, I did not score with any local women. Like I said they were all kind of small and chubby. A lot of them looked kind of sweaty, too. But there are plenty of eco-tourist hippies and backpacker types, so it will be ok.

Aloha!

Guatemala

Hmm, so let me get this...bad food, dangerous, crawling with bugs, mormons, hippies, soldiers, people walking around with guns. Sounds like paradise to me. [Image: undecided.gif]

Guatemala

Quote: (10-30-2009 03:53 PM)Kona Wrote:  

Quote: (10-30-2009 10:48 AM)College Game Wrote:  

Well you can surf right in Guatemala. That's why I went. I was disappointed in the waves but had a good time. The food is also going to be an issue, although I only stayed along the coast. Everywhere I went people were pushing tilapia and other bad fish.

First off, I think it's really important that you stay at this place. Its a hippie commune. When I was there there were a bunch of Mormon girls cutting loose. A few of them had never drank the booze before. It was fantastic. Plus all the normal surfer chicks. The bugs were really bad and the food was awful though. The waves were decent. But girls galore from all over the place.

Monte Rico was pretty cool. Nice beach town. Everything is cheap. There's a lot of bars there.

San Jose had some pretty good bars, too. Lots of hippie chicks. I think that's probably the best city along the coast.

Regarding the danger, there are soldiers everywhere. There's also guys walking around with guns in holsters. They won't mess with you. You'll see when you get there that the Guatemalans are little people. I was at least a foot taller than everybody. Just go John McEnroe like crazy and you'll scare them away.

Unfortunately, I did not score with any local women. Like I said they were all kind of small and chubby. A lot of them looked kind of sweaty, too. But there are plenty of eco-tourist hippies and backpacker types, so it will be ok.

Aloha!

Thanks for the heads up.

You and the mormons, its like me and Jewish girls, either I am attracted to them, or vice versa.

The waves look a little weak but living in Canada has killed my surfing ability. While my heart still aches for that hurricane season non stop set, my skill level now would land me face first into a sand bar, so it should be fun.

I will score with the hippie - development - heal the world type of girl, unfortunately that is my niche I feel in Guatemala. Almost every girl of that crowd I know has either been to Guatemala or is going to go there "someday."

Thoughts, am I going to get my guitar stolen if I am carrying it around?

Guatemala

No offense, but country a complete dump.

Antigua is a complete tourist trap

Guatemala City is dangerous and nothing to do.

Girls are ugly across the board.

Have fun though!

I did the whole Central America thing in 2006-07. Central America is a shit hole in general EXCEPT Panama City which I consider a great place.

Guatemala

Quote: (10-30-2009 05:10 PM)College Game Wrote:  

Thoughts, am I going to get my guitar stolen if I am carrying it around?

No, you'll be fine. You have the size thing working for you.

Watch it seriously if you go into Nicaragua.

Surfings like riding a bike, and there's waves there. I read they end in November, which is strange because I went to Costa Rica in Dec-Jan a few years ago and know they were firing?

You should check things out on the Caribbean side. I know a guy that fishes out that way and can't shut up about it. Belize is all he talks about.

Aloha!

Guatemala

Quote: (10-30-2009 05:13 PM)elguapo Wrote:  

I did the whole Central America thing in 2006-07. Central America is a shit hole in general EXCEPT Panama City which I consider a great place.

What about Costa Rica?

I also have a friend that's been to Nicaragua twice and said it's pretty cool.

Guatemala

Hey something else, when I went to Costa Rica I rented a truck for really cheap. I have military id's though, but the Nicaraguans just let me in, no problem. That place is crazy.

You could grab a hippie or a mormon and just take a long drive. I know I saw cheap car rentals in Guatemala.

If you do run into some mormons use what the pick up artists call negs.

Aloha!

Guatemala

Skipped Costa Rica...

Nicaragua was OK. Granada and Leon are cool little towns - think Oaxaca, Mexico - but nothing to write home about.

Honduras is a fucking mess.

Guatemala

Quote: (10-30-2009 05:57 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

What about Costa Rica?

Costa Rica's not what it's cracked up to be. Fishing is fantastic, but it's one of those spots where you gotta be leary of women you pick up. There's some hookers out there.

Elgaupo is right about Panama City. I was never there for just fun, but that's a great place. Beautiful women are everywhere. That canal is incredible if you can go through it. Waves are amazing also.

Aloha!

Guatemala

this is a cake walk, this town is overrun with foreigners acting like it is cancun, except less douchebaggery.

Guatemala

Quote: (11-06-2009 07:52 PM)College Game Wrote:  

this is a cake walk, this town is overrun with foreigners acting like it is cancun, except less douchebaggery.

What town are you in?

Aloha!

Guatemala

Quote:Quote:

Guatemala
In lieu of the change of course...

Who here has been to Guatemala? I will be there for about a month and a half, likely splitting my time between Antigua, Guatemala City, and somewhere on the coast.

Any tips?

Guapo you mentioned its dangerous, I have been told that and am more or less prepared for it. But I will be working / researching down there so I will have my laptop with me.

Has anyone bounced around via bus in central america? Doable?

General vibe at discoteques / clubs / bars in Cent. Amer.?

When I was in CA back in 2004 I used this bus service called TicaBus(http://www.ticabus.com/mapa.html). There was also a shuttle service Between Antigua and Copa ruins in Honduras that took about 6 hours. Theres also a ferry from Livingstone to Puerto Cortez, Honduras. Like so many have mentioned Antigua is a total tourist trap but I enjoyed being there. Also, make sure you don't miss out Tikal and Lake Antillian.

The local women were ugly, however, there are tons of Gringas in Antigua that go there for the Spanish language schools. A side note, I met quite a few of girls that went there for the Spanish schools and their Spanish was very good for only 2 weeks work.

Guatemala

Quote: (10-30-2009 05:57 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Quote: (10-30-2009 05:13 PM)elguapo Wrote:  

What about Costa Rica?

I also have a friend that's been to Nicaragua twice and said it's pretty cool.

Nicaragua is awesome. Chicks are hot but not the hottest (Costa beats'em) but I felt completely safe in Nica and you tripple your cash... EXAMPLE: If you go with 5K it feels like you got 15K.