rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Best US state to buy a used car for import

Hi guys, I'm thinking about going state side to buy a used car to import back to Canada and was wondering which place would be best as far as low taxes and any other considerations go. I will fly there and drive it back to Alberta, so I prefer west coast, but I could always make a big road trip out of it.

Also, if any of you have experience importing into Canada, any advice would be appreciated. I found this site: http://www.riv.ca/ lots of good info on there.

I'm without a ride at the moment, sold my truck before travelling last year but I have to get one because in Alberta, you need a ride. I was going to buy a beater but damn, I like driving nice cars, and they're way cheaper in the states, here's what I'm looking at:

Lexus IS 250
Infinity G37
Audi A4 or A5

I've been looking online and found 2007-2009 models of all these cars with reasonable mileage (50-80K) all in my price range of $18-25K.

Here buddy I found your ride. Cheap, close (kinda) with a small cab that will heat up fast and 4wd.
http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/2974635182.html
These fuckers run forever!!

Try to get a car from a southern state. Living in Canada, you know how detrimental cold weather and all that salt can be on a vehicle's longevity.

Generally when buying a car out of state one pays the taxes when they register it in their home state. Since you are taking it out of country one would think it would be the same way. I'm not positive on that however. Calling a dealer near the border should give you a definitive answer.

I'd suggest a 2008 Cadillac CTS4 as it's AWD, badass, and you may be able to get one within your price range.

As far as Northern versus Southern cars go, there isn't much difference anymore due to the use of two sided galvanized steel, zinc dips, etc. It takes a good 10+ years before a vehicle will show any effects from the salt baths of the northern states.

And coastal climates are just as bad if not worse for salt as they get it year round, while up nort here we only get it a few months out of the year. I've seen pics of older vehicles that have lived around the beach their entire lives that look like a big pile of rust colored shit.

Hey Scotian, For buying cars, if you want to save any money , you have to buy an american car, any foreign car you will have to pay a shitload of money and you wont save anything . For State low tax , the Maine has 0% on sale taxes . New York 3% if I remember . But, some city add some taxe on merchandises, you have to be aware of that . But check on the internet the few states in the south of the border of Alberta and check for the taxe data in each one .

Quote: (04-24-2012 07:27 AM)Hotwheels Wrote:  

As far as Northern versus Southern cars go, there isn't much difference anymore due to the use of two sided galvanized steel, zinc dips, etc. It takes a good 10+ years before a vehicle will show any effects from the salt baths of the northern states.

I should probably have mentioned I tend to buy older vehicles... no G-Manifesto lifestyle for me!

Avoid California there rules mean Cars are modded are fucked up and probably won;t pass your provinces safety or will jack up your insurance rates. I know a lot of my friends have gotten cars from Texas with a lot of success. They pay the taxes and feeds but it was good after that. Arizona seemed easy to deal with I am just thinking off the top of my head the states my buddies were able to get there cars and drive them. One homie even went to Alabama, rented a flatbed and convinced a homie to come for the ride, way cheaper then importing the shit.

Yes and stay domestic taxes and fees fuck up imports. Most of my homies got Trucks, Impalas, Chargers, Caddys. One homie tried to get a Skyline and the shit is sitting in his driveway, can't drive it.. didn't do his homework and all types of shit was messed with it. The province won't plate it.