rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Best resource for learning languages (e.g. French)

Hey guys,

I'm interested in learning French and I wanted to know what are some really good resources out there that will help me the most (guides, instructional books etc.).

Thanks

Quote: (04-21-2012 07:45 PM)Carl Sagan Wrote:  

Hey guys,

I'm interested in learning French and I wanted to know what are some really good resources out there that will help me the most (guides, instructional books etc.).

Thanks

rosetta stone (or similar) + cultural stuff (movies, books, music, etc) + vagina (e.g. "long haired dictionary")

lifehacker(dot)com/5903288/i-learned-to-speak-four-languages-in-a-few-years-heres-how

That's a golden egg right there.

Pimsleur I recommend highly as it allows you to practice your verbal skills.

You can use the free and legal resources the US Department of State issues to its diplomatic personnel. They have audio/textbook resources for every major language that you would probably be interested in.

hxxp://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php

Michel Thomas audio courses are very good.

Guys there are a ton of threads on this very subject.

Pimsluers, also after you get the basics down, see if there's a place near you that would speak the language your studying (i.e. go to a Mexican grocery store if your learning Spanish) and try and have a conversation there. When I was boning back up on my Spanish and when I was learning Italian I'd always go to restaurants or stores where people spoke the language and I'd try and converse with them. It worked pretty well.