rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Somalia

Somalia

anyone been? what should i bring and/or look for? and what exciting things to do?

Somalia

[Image: l_extrastrength_l2.jpg]

Somalia

Kerouac, good one.

I would love to roll down to the Somali coast and party it up with the pirates.

Heard its going off. Mad drugs and girls.

Probably most raging spot in the world right now.

-MPM
The Guide to Getting More out of Life
http://www.thegmanifesto.com

Somalia

Quote: (10-26-2009 07:55 PM)hennessybaby Wrote:  

anyone been? what should i bring and/or look for? and what exciting things to do?

Nobody that has made it back alive. Armed bodyguards? You'll have NO problem finding excitement in Mogadishu, though probably not the kind you were hoping for.

ps - Keruoac, Somalia's AIDS rate is pretty low like most Muslim countries.

Somalia

Mogadishu (or Mogoo as I like to call it) has a pretty pumping Thursday college night scene. The girls are all about gringos since not a lot of them make it there (alive).

Somalia

somalia=gangsta

Somalia

I try to avoid any places that Wikitravel advises against visiting to this extent:

Quote:Quote:

"Aside from Somaliland, Somalia is not safe for independent travel or sightseeing. Those visiting for business, research, or international aid purposes should consult with their organization and seek expert guidance before planning a trip. If you must go, see War zone safety."

Somalia

Quote: (10-27-2009 02:54 AM)Eric Wrote:  

I try to avoid any places that Wikitravel advises against visiting to this extent:

Quote:Quote:

"Aside from Somaliland, Somalia is not safe for independent travel or sightseeing. Those visiting for business, research, or international aid purposes should consult with their organization and seek expert guidance before planning a trip. If you must go, see War zone safety."

But that is the whole fun.

Cheap prices, no rules, no backpackers.

-MPM
The Guide to Getting More out of Life
http://www.thegmanifesto.com

Somalia

I think it would be kick ass to go there, it is the stateless state, the new heart of darkness, the unknown spot on the map.

Somalia

Quote: (10-27-2009 02:24 PM)College Game Wrote:  

I think it would be kick ass to go there, it is the stateless state, the new heart of darkness, the unknown spot on the map.

Let us know how it goes.

Somalia

Quote: (10-27-2009 02:24 PM)College Game Wrote:  

I enjoy travel as much as the next guy, but I think you're fooling yourself if you think you'd have a good time in Mogadishu. It's the lawless city on the planet. There's no way you'd be able to get around discretely, and there'd be no one to turn to if you got into trouble.

My philosophy on travel destinations is this: I want to enjoy my time in the place, not just my ability to say I've been there. I know people who have been to North Korea, Libya, Iraq, etc. and I always wonder how much they enjoyed those experiences.

I think Somalia being a new Heart of Darkness is the perfect reason to avoid it. Remember Kurtz's last words?

Somalia

Eric--

The enjoyment can also come out of seeing something completely different.

I still remember the time I went to East Berlin when it hadn't become super "westernized" and I think it was much more interesting than seeing it years later when American Hipsters had it overtaken.

North Korea sounds interesting too. Imagine, as a regular civilian tourist, you get to be treated like a spy!

You don't, or at least I don't, need to go to a city that has a raging night life in order to enjoy it.