rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Like system experiment

Like system experiment

For one month I would like to experiment with a Like system, which I have just installed.

Underneath each post is now a like button, very similar to what Facebook has. To see all the likes a person has accumulated, simple click over to their profile. This addresses the main concern that without a reputation system it is hard to see a user's best posts, something that I agree with.

Two rules:

1. Do not use the number of likes you have to pimp slap another member who has less likes than you. This is not an elitist measure, just something to help filter high quality posts.

2. Do not ask for likes or privately try to exchange likes with other members. Send me a PM if you suspect members are doing this.

I understand that since Like is just a one click affair, there will be tons of likes going around, much more than reps. I think the forum should organically decide what is worth a like or not, but generally speaking clicking Like says that you think others members should check out the post.

On May 11 I will start a new thread so we can discuss as a group if this system is worth keeping or not. As long as the two rules above are followed, I have a good feeling it will be.

Like system experiment

I liked this post.

I am the cock carousel

Like system experiment

So what's the difference between a +rep and a +like?

16 Countries in Under 2 Years and Counting - How I Fund My Travels: http://www.EarnOnTheRoad.com

Like system experiment

Quote: (04-11-2012 07:40 AM)DareP Wrote:  

Rep mostly evaluated all of the user's contributions. On the forum it unfortunately became a way that members' character and worth were being judged. It started being used to attack others.

The like system is a way just to give a nod to individual posts. My hope is that it's a more breezy way of singling out good posts without stratifying the community.

Like system experiment

This looks good!

That said, the times I've tried using the like button, the page gets stuck on the "Loading. Please wait" pinwheel.

Like system experiment

This is sweet...

EDIT:

Quote:Quote:

That said, the times I've tried using the like button, the page gets stuck on the "Loading. Please wait" pinwheel.

I'm getting this error too.

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

Like system experiment

This system has a lot of potential and seems like a good middle ground between all the various concerns. I'm looking forward to seeing how it unfolds.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Like system experiment

soup/samseau: Are you using the No Logo theme?

Edit: Yeah just tried to like something using the No Logo theme and it hangs on Loading even though the system registers the like. I'll get it fixed by the end of the day.

Like system experiment

Quote: (04-11-2012 10:59 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

soup/samseau: Are you using the No Logo theme?

Edit: Yeah just tried to like something using the No Logo theme and it hangs on Loading even though the system registers the like. I'll get it fixed by the end of the day.

Yes, using no logo.

Like system experiment

Looks like a great compromise solution, though I can see how Likes can be abused just like rep for posturing.

Not posturing with your rep/likes is covered nicely by Rule one: Don't be a dick.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

Like system experiment

I certainly understand the need to find a way to make great posts readily available.
Although I am very surprised that on a forum decdicated to international game and self improvement that there are people petty and unfulfilled enough not only to care about some silly number of rep or like points but to actively seek to manipulate such a system.
My advice - if you care at all about rep points as a means of pride and self worth, work on your inner game and find some other outlets.

Like system experiment

It seems to work, good idea. Let's see how it goes...

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Like system experiment

Quote: (04-11-2012 12:33 PM)Keyser Söze Wrote:  

Although I am very surprised that on a forum decdicated to international game and self improvement that there are people petty and unfulfilled enough not only to care about some silly number of rep or like points but to actively seek to manipulate such a system.
My advice - if you care at all about rep points as a means of pride and self worth, work on your inner game and find some other outlets.

Waiting for you to drop amazing posts and tell us how to live an incredible life

[Image: icon_lol.gif]

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

Like system experiment

Like it. ;-)

Like system experiment

I've seen this system on other forums. This will work well.

Like system experiment

It should be working fine on the No Logo theme now. Let me know otherwise.

Like system experiment

what about a dislike button too? for dudes that make whack or useless contributions. do yo uthink it could be abused for personal dislike ie. someone politically disagrees with you.

Like system experiment

Quote: (04-11-2012 09:09 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

Quote: (04-11-2012 07:40 AM)DareP Wrote:  

Rep mostly evaluated all of the user's contributions. On the forum it unfortunately became a way that members' character and worth were being judged. It started being used to attack others.

The like system is a way just to give a nod to individual posts. My hope is that it's a more breezy way of singling out good posts without stratifying the community.

The irony is some of the aforementioned members left the site once they didn't have their rep points to throw around.

Like system experiment

This is a great idea, seems to be working great for me so far.

Don't give them what they expect, and you'll get from them what you never expected.

Like system experiment

As someone who has fully behind the rep system and somewhat concerned about its loss, I am pretty hopeful about this. It seems to answer most of my concerns in theory. I'm looking forward to watching this play out over the next few weeks.

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time.

Like system experiment

I like it. [Image: thumb.gif] I'm excited to see how it works out.

I think it would be cool if there was a Likes category that you can sort by just like you can sort by views and replies. Number of views doesn't always correspond with thread quality ie the fap threads.

Team Nachos

Like system experiment

Quote: (04-11-2012 06:23 PM)Athlone McGinnis Wrote:  

As someone who has fully behind the rep system and somewhat concerned about its loss, I am pretty hopeful about this. It seems to answer most of my concerns in theory. I'm looking forward to watching this play out over the next few weeks.

Yeah its more like a ratio of a total reputation pool as opposed to individual points. One member cant just get a billion rep points but they can get a lot of likes in comparison to the amount of posts theyve made showing their contributions.

Like system experiment

If you like something by accident can you unlike it?
I browse a lot on my iPhone and sometimes i touch things by accident. I've accidentally rated a thread once (that I know of) and I'm constantly accidentally clicking links.

If you can't it's no problem, I'll just try to be more careful.

"Colt 45 and two zigzags, baby that's all we need" - Ronald Reagan

Like system experiment

Is there a way to make it possible to search for posts by how many likes they have?

Like system experiment

Walnuts: yes just click the button again (it will be red)
Gringo: No [Image: sad.gif]