rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Sao Paulo, Brazil Tips

Sao Paulo, Brazil Tips

Got this email from a girl. Seems helpful so I thought I'd paste it here.

Quote:Quote:

Hi,

I'm a brazilian girl from São Paulo - SP. I'd seen that many of your readers don't know nothing about the night life in my town, and I would be pleased to give a hand:

Tips:

1. If you are going to SP, try to stay in hotels in Paulista Avenue surrondings because it is close to everything you need: night clubs, great restaurants, malls... And our old downtown for tourist who want to make an extra effort and see it all. [Image: biggrin.gif]

2. Avoid to take cabs in the street. They are the worst ever. Take the one from hotel, or if u are outside, take directions to catch up a subway or call for one.

3. "Paulistas" (girls from SP) are party girls - they may kiss u immediately or in the end of party... We are easy-going, open -minded for other cultures and most of us hv a little bit of english.

Must go places:

1. The Week - check the day before leaving!

2. The Clash - Beautiful girls and Handsome boys dancing black music

3. Vegas - It is a gay club, but in SP, this doesn't mean much, girls even prefer in order to fell more "free" of boys and their bsh or silly hands outside pockets.

4. O' Malleys - Pub as home, and girls go there to find gringos. It's true!

5. Bar Mangueira / Santa Clara - Both places play samba, and people will love
to (try) teach u.

6. Vila Madalena district - It's a district full of bars and night clubs, beautiful people and polite people. Run away from 7. Vila Olimpia (boring and not polite upper class) district unless u are wth a native. (I don't recomend either... but...)

Her blog doesn't seem to be active.. http://luannafernandes.wordpress.com/

Well I can definitely vouch that brazilian girls who go to irish pubs (number 4) are looking for gringos.

Sao Paulo, Brazil Tips

Very useful and good timing as I'm going there next month.

Sao Paulo, Brazil Tips

Quote: (10-18-2009 02:09 PM)elguapo Wrote:  

Very useful and good timing as I'm going there next month.

I was in Sao Paulo last summer. It's definitely not the prettiest city I've ever seen and there are the usual Brazilian problems of crime, drugs and inequality, as well as smog and terrible traffic. Having said that, I really enjoyed Sampa. As the third biggest city on earth, you can pretty much find everything you want there. Most people I know who went there didn't like it though - I think the problem is that it's so huge it's overwhelming and it's hard to get an idea of where to go. I was lucky since I met some cool Brazilians who worked in the hostel and went out with them. Vila Madalena is a good place to go - it's not so much big superclubs but smaller bars and live music places, and yes everyone there likes to party. I think the reason I enjoyed SP (while so many others didn't) was that I was lucky enough to meet people who knew good places to go. If you don't when you're there, the info from that email will probably be useful. Enjoy Sampa!

Sao Paulo, Brazil Tips

"Well I can definitely vouch that brazilian girls who go to irish pubs (number 4) are looking for gringos. "

I have noticed this in other countries as well. Argentina for one.

- MPM
The Guide to Getting More out of Life
http://www.thegmanifesto.com

Sao Paulo, Brazil Tips

I don't know what she has against vila olimpia. It's the best night spot in SP. Knocks the pants off of Clash Club. Girls there aren't as hot as at the clubs in Vila Olimpia. VO is more expensive than Clash Club in Barra Funda however.

Sao Paulo, Brazil Tips

I wish I'd been able to add SP to my itinerary but I was running out of time. Maybe next trip. I did get to see it from the bus and it looks like quite an intimidating place if you don't know where to go. Absolutely massive city.

Sao Paulo, Brazil Tips

Quote: (10-19-2009 04:01 AM)speakeasy Wrote:  

I wish I'd been able to add SP to my itinerary but I was running out of time. Maybe next trip. I did get to see it from the bus and it looks like quite an intimidating place if you don't know where to go. Absolutely massive city.

That's the problem of spending few nights in such a city.

Remember our first week in Rio? It takes a bit of time to figure what's going on and where to go.

Sao Paulo, Brazil Tips

My only advice on Sao Paulo is don´t go.

Sao Paulo, Brazil Tips

I was in Sao Paolo only for maybe two nights and got lucky because these crazy britons at my hostel knew the craziest club there. I present you Love Story, http://www.lonelyplanet.com/brazil/sao-p...ife/415454

It was my last night in Brazil so I was a bit angry as we hit the club at midnight and the dancing podiums were full of guys.. without shirts.. dancing. I thought "thanks for nothing" and went to bar to drown my misery to whisky. Well as a couple of hours passed and I was sipping whisky alone at the bar, girls started to get in to the club and well.. surrounding me. I chatted with one and after 5 minutes she's offering her phone number to me. We didnt share a common language that much but dancing did the trick. "Sabes el hostel para solteros? Vamos!" (=Do you know a love hostel / single's hostel? Let's go!) As we walked the two blocks or something I was the only white guy on the streets as some locals were dealing cocaine on the street corner. Well, I was so hammered I didnt care. Later on I kept wondering if she was a prostitute since she was so easy and she knew the location of the love hostel, but then on the other hand she didnt ask for any money. Strange. My friend did hook up with couple of hookers though, so in this place you gotta be carefull. I still recommend it, though, it was such an amazing mix of people..

Sao Paulo, Brazil Tips

I know Sao Paulo fairly well for being foreign and that's why I want to comment on this email.

1. If you are going to SP, try to stay in hotels in Paulista Avenue surrondings because it is close to everything you need: night clubs, great restaurants, malls... And our old downtown for tourist who want to make an extra effort and see it all. Big Grin

If you want to spend big amounts of reais then this is your choice. The hotels close to Paulista are expensive except for the hotel Formula 1. If you are staying in Sao Paulo, a hostel or another, cheaper option is better and when you are about to close you can then take her to a couple hour hotel.

2. Avoid to take cabs in the street. They are the worst ever. Take the one from hotel, or if u are outside, take directions to catch up a subway or call for one.

I would say avoid taking taxis as much as you can. They are the most expensive taxis in South America (maybe Santiago is more expensive?!) and the distances are big so considering the use of metro or bus is recommended. The Metro and the buses stop going at midnight.

"I was in Sao Paolo only for maybe two nights and got lucky because these crazy britons at my hostel knew the craziest club there. I present you Love Story, http://www.lonelyplanet.com/brazil/sao-p...ife/415454"

Love story is an interesting night-club, because it is an after club which is open everyday. It is located on Rua Augusta where a lot of whores work and the ones that are doped or those who didn't go home go to love story to party. The idea with this club is that the women don't pay entrance but men do. The cover charge can be pretty high, from 50 to 100 Reais (25-50usd), but it is worth it because of the girls. So there it is possible to score prostitutes without paying if she likes you. You should have someone who speaks Portuguese in the crew in order to avoid problems. This club has everything from rich locals, models, whores, normal girls and foreigners but not as many Brazilian guys because of the entrance.

Sao Paulo, Brazil Tips

Quote: (11-14-2009 07:11 PM)Branco Wrote:  

I know Sao Paulo fairly well for being foreign and that's why I want to comment on this email.

1. If you are going to SP, try to stay in hotels in Paulista Avenue surrondings because it is close to everything you need: night clubs, great restaurants, malls... And our old downtown for tourist who want to make an extra effort and see it all. Big Grin

If you want to spend big amounts of reais then this is your choice. The hotels close to Paulista are expensive except for the hotel Formula 1. If you are staying in Sao Paulo, a hostel or another, cheaper option is better and when you are about to close you can then take her to a couple hour hotel.

I would say avoid taking taxis as much as you can. They are the most expensive taxis in South America (maybe Santiago is more expensive?!) and the distances are big so considering the use of metro or bus is recommended. The Metro and the buses stop going at midnight.

"I was in Sao Paolo only for maybe two nights and got lucky because these crazy britons at my hostel knew the craziest club there. I present you Love Story, http://www.lonelyplanet.com/brazil/sao-p...ife/415454"

Love story is an interesting night-club, because it is an after club which is open everyday. It is located on Rua Augusta where a lot of whores work and the ones that are doped or those who didn't go home go to love story to party. The idea with this club is that the women don't pay entrance but men do. The cover charge can be pretty high, from 50 to 100 Reais (25-50usd), but it is worth it because of the girls. So there it is possible to score prostitutes without paying if she likes you. You should have someone who speaks Portuguese in the crew in order to avoid problems. This club has everything from rich locals, models, whores, normal girls and foreigners but not as many Brazilian guys because of the entrance.

I was in SP for one night and the cab driver took us to Love Story after the regular clubs closed. The women struck me as obvious prostitutes, not attractive (just my opinion), the patrons mostly tourists. Know this before dropping cash here (high cover, costly drinks).

Sao Paulo, Brazil Tips

Quote: (11-17-2009 03:05 PM)Flashman Wrote:  

I was in SP for one night and the cab driver took us to Love Story after the regular clubs closed. The women struck me as obvious prostitutes, not attractive (just my opinion), the patrons mostly tourists. Know this before dropping cash here (high cover, costly drinks).

The combination of high cover + after hours + taxi driver chosen = very high probability of a hooker spot.

In BA, a taxi driver told us he knows the best after hours spot. He was young and seemed like he would know, so we let him take us there. He didn't even start the meter, which is a dead give away right there. Once we got to the club, nobody is outside, no crowd. Admission is about $50 USD. I look at my friend and tell him this has got to be a hooker spot. We get right back in the cab and have him drive us to the hotel. This time he starts the meter. hehe

Sao Paulo, Brazil Tips

Alright, if I had to give advise on Sao Paulo, go to D-Edge. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of gays that hang out there, but I assure you for that reason, there are plenty of single, straight women who aren't being hit on because half the guys in there are gay. The girl to guy ratio was good, and with a lot of the guys being gay, it leaves a wide open playing field for any straight man. The vibe and music are good. And the inside is awesome looking. Just like the girl who sent the E-mail said: "It is a gay club, but in SP, this doesn't mean much, girls even prefer in order to fell more "free" of boys and their bsh or silly hands outside pockets." She's not joking when she says this.

Sao Paulo, Brazil Tips

I would like a second time around in Sao Paulo. I had a terrible time when I was there...only 2 days though, so maybe I didnt have enough time.

But D-Edge is supposed to be one of the best clubs in SE, if you like house music.

Sao Paulo, Brazil Tips

After u posted my email, I guy asked me further info and I made this list.

1. Vai Vai samba school rehearsal on sunday afternoon (it is in the middle of the street) It cost R$10 (everything I will say is real current) and there are many girls... lol careful with your belongs.
2. Eat a Traditional Lamb sandwich in Estadão
3. Taste our pizza (waaaay to different of yours) in Bixiga district (Esperanza restaurant or Braz in Moema district is good)
4. São Bento Bakery in downtown - deliciouus! During a walk in our "old downtown" it is a great pitsop.
5. Drink Guarana soda.
6. Açaí - very strong... fits like a meal in the stomack
7. Brigadeiro
8. Feijoada - at wed or saturdays in any brazilian restaurant who serves southern food.
9. Cheese Bread (Pão de Queijo) during breakfeast.
10. Native fruit as seriguela, umbu, caja, cagaita - any juice shop. (In SP and Rj is easier to find, but in Northeast is even more popular)
11. All u can eat of Meat (Rodizio de Carnes) - In SP: OK, Fogo de Chao (there is one in LA, I guess), Boi Preto, Vento Haragano, Barbacoa.
12. Downtown by subway: During sundays there is a guided tour by subway in downtown. Check for further info.

Nightlife:
1. The Week, Bubu, Vegas Club: All GLBT clubs, but as I said before plaint of bi/straight girls. In Vegas there are no female/ male WC. Imagine what happens.
2. Santa Clara / Bar Mangueira / Vila do Samba - Samba for beginners and experts. U can start saturday afternoon in Bar Mangueira and end up in Santa Clara... lol. Samba bars mostly starts at afternoon and go until 00:00, but there are exceptions.
3. Vila Madalena district: Full of bars. And honestly, I haven't been in all of them yet. There are soooo many! lol
4. Vila Olimpia: Yes, as some of u know there are the expensive night clubs and bla bla bla. I don't like anyway, because most of people who goes there pretends to be rich, they cross the town (literaly, because they live in the poorest or far away of it) and they are arrogant, unpolite to do so. When someone invites me to go, I research thoroughly before leaving.

Deixa que essa fase é passageira, amanhã será melhor você vai ver a cidade inteira seu samba saber de cor!

Sao Paulo, Brazil Tips

If u come to SP, let me know!

Deixa que essa fase é passageira, amanhã será melhor você vai ver a cidade inteira seu samba saber de cor!

Sao Paulo, Brazil Tips

Thank you on this thread, as well!

Sao Paulo, Brazil Tips

I'm giong back to Sao Paulo around the 10th for 4 days before I go to Argentina.