rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Living in a Medellin barrio

I was wondering if any of you guys that have actually been to Medellin or other big cities in Colombia know how safe it'd be to live in a estrato 3 barrio in Medellin.

The barrio is controlled by an armed gang, which according to my girlfriend, is a good thing since they protect the residents from outside criminals. The gang does no harm to the people living in the barrio but it's been known to be violent to anyone who dares to steal, kill or do anything against the residents.

I'm Latin American and a native Spanish speaker. I plan to rent an apartment or home in that barrio just to be close to my girlfriend that lives there. She says I will not be in danger but even though I might look like any of the people in the barrio, I'm still a foreigner and don't know if that could be a problem.

One last thing, I don't trust her mother at all. She's quite cold, dishonest and cares only about money. I know she has a good relationship with the gang's leader who is said to be an ex-paramilitar. The guy has promised to protect her business which is located in the barrio.

I plan to let my GF stay overnight at my place. I don't know if that could cause problems with her mom. My GF has a TERRIBLE relationship with her. I'm afraid I won't be able to intervene in my GF's defense when there is a problem, I wouldn't want to piss off her mom (remember she's friends with the gang's leader).

Any advice? Would it be safe to live in this barrio?

I've never been to Columbia, but I know a guy who runs an apartment hotel in Medellin.

Two thoughts:

1. Living in an area controlled by a gang is dicey, at best. I understand the corruption of many police forces in Latin America, but this sounds like stepping into a higher-risk category altogether.

2. Mama sounds like a deal-breaker. Medellin is a target-rich environment. Lots of opportunities without the red flags.

Don't let Oneitis lead you to a bad place.

Quote: (04-01-2012 10:05 AM)DecoHappy Wrote:  

I've never been to Columbia, but I know a guy who runs an apartment hotel in Medellin.

Two thoughts:

1. Living in an area controlled by a gang is dicey, at best. I understand the corruption of many police forces in Latin America, but this sounds like stepping into a higher-risk category altogether.

2. Mama sounds like a deal-breaker. Medellin is a target-rich environment. Lots of opportunities without the red flags.

Don't let Oneitis lead you to a bad place.

Thank you for your advice! [Image: smile.gif] I was wondering what you mean by "Lots of opportunities without the red flags"...

If you are dead set on being with this girl, then why not rent a place in a better neighborhood where she can come stay with you there?
How serious are you with this girl and how much time have you spent with her in person, not over the internet?

Quote: (04-01-2012 10:38 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

If you are dead set on being with this girl, then why not rent a place in a better neighborhood where she can come stay with you there?
How serious are you with this girl and how much time have you spent with her in person, not over the internet?

All the good neighborhoods seem to be quite far from her home. She works and studies at the university and needs to do chores too. There is just no way she could have time to go visit me if I were too far from her. It is much easier if we're located in the same barrio. It will also be much cheaper for me and can stay longer.

I never said I was dead set on her but for some reason people are assuming that.

I`m no Medellin expert but I did spend a few days there last week, how far does she live from the metro? If her place is near a metro stop then you can live elsewhere and easily get to her place, its quite an efficient system.

Personally, I think that you`re putting yourself in a bit of a dodgy situation here by living in a place thats controlled by a gang like that. There`s lots of other options, I stayed up on Cr 70 near the football stadium, very nice area with a metro stop.

Also, as the other posters have mentioned, unless you`re in a committed relationship, why focus so much on this one girl, trust me, lots of cute Paisas in Medellin!

Quote: (04-01-2012 10:32 AM)encanto Wrote:  

I was wondering what you mean by "Lots of opportunities without the red flags"...

See Scotia's comment.

Per my friend with the apartment hotel in Medellin, the city is full of pretty women. I'm sure plenty of them don't live in gangland. And don't have Mama who wants nothing more than to sabotage your budding relationship.

What barrio is it???

I wouldnt reccommend you moving to this barrio to live with a chick who is a good friend with the gang leader of this barrio.

Put in mind that things between you and that girl wont always be ok. Imagine if you start fucking chicks around this barrio, remember that barrio chicks are always easier and there is always a high number of hot chicks in it, if she catches you fucking another bitch, she could do some evil shit to you depending on how temperamental she can get. She coud tell the barrio gang leader to do some fucked up shit to you, be careful man. Be single and fuck lots of bitches.

By the way, according to her, MOST barrios in MEDELLIN are protected by gangs so if that is true, anywhere I go would be the same situation.

Dude either you are trolling or in denial of the fact that this forum has provided so much information. Go buy a place in that barrio and write a data sheet. Contribute to the forum not just take like many do. Let us know how it goes so we can hit the ground running when and if we venture to Medellin. No wonder senior members ala mixx, Gman and others get frustrated when nobody contributes useful information.

Sorry dude, but buying a place there might be awesome or hell.

Quote: (04-01-2012 09:38 PM)encanto Wrote:  

By the way, according to her, MOST barrios in MEDELLIN are protected by gangs so if that is true, anywhere I go would be the same situation.

Yeah, I was going to make the same point. Those are the same rules of engagement for pretty much anywhere in Colombia.

Living in estrato 6 doesn't let you avoid that risk, if you're still dating estrato 3 girls. Most guys don't realise that.

Safety-wise, it should work out fine. If you feel safe walking around during the day, living there will be OK.

Usual guidelines apply:
) don't bang another guy's wife or girlfriend
) mind your own business and respect people

There's no reason to consider this girl different to any other. Paramilitary family friend or not.

Any girl from estrato 4 or lower is never too far from mala gente if she needs them. She may not know them, but she can find them if she really needs to. Two to three degrees of separation, max.

There's nothing to stop any girl or her mother making up some far fetched story about something a gringo did, if she feels like it. Then asking a gang of guys to come down on him like a ton of bricks.

In theory it's possible, but highly unlikely. I've never heard of it happening.

Quote: (04-01-2012 11:55 AM)encanto Wrote:  

I never said I was dead set on her but for some reason people are assuming that.

Yeah, It's crazy people are inferring such things just because you plan to move to a foreign country, live in a slum to be close to her, and can't live somewhere nice because it is too far from her university. [Image: tard.gif]

I live in Medellin (estrato 6) but I've been stuck in Belen Las Playas for a few hours waiting for the local gang to finish fighting with the police. They were running around on motos shooting up the area just to make trouble. Close to this area a young brit was killed in the back of a taxi (80 near Las Molinas) while he waited at a light. I know of a few guys living in estrato 3 and they seem to do ok. I think much of it is luck, or bad luck. Since you're a fluent spanish speaking latin american you'll be VERY tempted after living in Medellin few a days/weeks. Keep that in mind with your "suegracita".

Quote: (04-01-2012 11:13 PM)Gringuito Wrote:  

I live in Medellin (estrato 6) but I've been stuck in Belen Las Playas for a few hours waiting for the local gang to finish fighting with the police. They were running around on motos shooting up the area just to make trouble. Close to this area a young brit was killed in the back of a taxi (80 near Las Molinas) while he waited at a light. I know of a few guys living in estrato 3 and they seem to do ok. I think much of it is luck, or bad luck. Since you're a fluent spanish speaking latin american you'll be VERY tempted after living in Medellin few a days/weeks. Keep that in mind with your "suegracita".

I am almost certain I knew the young Brit you are referring to personally. The circumstances surrounding that incident were extraordinary in the fact that he was blinged up to the nines. Any extranjero in Colombia knows that is defying the golden rule when one is in a barrio.

That said, to the OP, unless you are tight on budget, I wouldn't consider anywhere lower than estrato 5. I'm sure this chica wouldn't mind the trade off of having to live in a nicer neighbourhood with you and the status that comes with it and taking an extra 10 mins to get to university on the bus.

Either that, or find a new woman, because restricting yourself to one barrio girl whilst you are in Medellin is like only getting the cheesy toast when you go to Sizzler.

Quote: (04-01-2012 11:03 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Yeah, It's crazy people are inferring such things just because you plan to move to a foreign country, live in a slum to be close to her, and can't live somewhere nice because it is too far from her university. [Image: tard.gif]

Don't mean to be rude but you probably need to work on your reading skills, my friend. How about some ginkgo biloba to improve blood flow?

1) Most guys here are planning trips to a foreign country yet that doesn't necessarily mean they're dead set on one girl. Your username has the word "Rio" in it so I assume you have at least been to Rio de Janeiro. Should I also assume you are dead set on only one carioca?

2) I definitely want to be close to her, who in this forum doesn't want to be close to beautiful women that treat you like a king? Maybe by being close to her, I can make sure I have someone ready to cook me a delicious almuerzo, the world is not just pussy, my friend. Anyway, I never said she would be the only one. I clearly said she works and goes to the university. That means lots of time for me to meet other girls in nearby barrios.

3) I never said I couldn't live somewhere nice because it was too far from her university. I said she wouldn't have time to go visit me if I lived in a place like El Poblado or Laureles.

Quote: (04-02-2012 12:44 AM)Lukey Wrote:  

I am almost certain I knew the young Brit you are referring to personally. The circumstances surrounding that incident were extraordinary in the fact that he was blinged up to the nines. Any extranjero in Colombia knows that is defying the golden rule when one is in a barrio.

What's the golden rule?

Quote: (04-02-2012 03:13 AM)encanto Wrote:  

Don't mean to be rude but you probably need to work on your reading skills, my friend. How about some ginkgo biloba to improve blood flow?

1) Most guys here are planning trips to a foreign country yet that doesn't necessarily mean they're dead set on one girl. Your username has the word "Rio" in it so I assume you have at least been to Rio de Janeiro. Should I also assume you are dead set on only one carioca?

2) I definitely want to be close to her, who in this forum doesn't want to be close to beautiful women that treat you like a king? Maybe by being close to her, I can make sure I have someone ready to cook me a delicious almuerzo, the world is not just pussy, my friend. Anyway, I never said she would be the only one. I clearly said she works and goes to the university. That means lots of time for me to meet other girls in nearby barrios.

3) I never said I couldn't live somewhere nice because it was too far from her university. I said she wouldn't have time to go visit me if I lived in a place like El Poblado or Laureles.

I think your original post was what was confusing. You are stating additional variables and clarifications as you go, so no need to attack anyone's reading skills.

Furthermore, I doubt many will see eye-to-eye with you on this forum if your preference is to be in a relationship with one girl who requires you to live nearby to visit at her convenience.

From the sound of it, you have made your mind up you want to live in an estrato 3 barrio with this girl and want to know if you will get killed or not. No one can answer that question. As Tomtud said, why don't you move there and make a data sheet on it and inform us of your experience...

Quote: (04-02-2012 03:27 AM)encanto Wrote:  

Quote: (04-02-2012 12:44 AM)Lukey Wrote:  

What's the golden rule?

Not to wear big, flashy, gold jewellery, watches and the like. It is merely a magnet for trouble.

how are you going to enjoy life and relax in an environment wher eit is extremely dangerous just walking the streets at night. Being a gringo in an area liek that is just making urself a target. no way i woudl dot hat for any pussy let alone some colombian who is already bleeding the shit out of me financially...

Quote: (04-02-2012 03:32 AM)Lukey Wrote:  

Quote: (04-02-2012 03:13 AM)encanto Wrote:  

I think your original post was what was confusing. You are stating additional variables and clarifications as you go, so no need to attack anyone's reading skills.

Furthermore, I doubt many will see eye-to-eye with you on this forum if your preference is to be in a relationship with one girl who requires you to live nearby to visit at her convenience.

From the sound of it, you have made your mind up you want to live in an estrato 3 barrio with this girl and want to know if you will get killed or not. No one can answer that question. As Tomtud said, why don't you move there and make a data sheet on it and inform us of your experience...

Nope. Rionomad probably didn't read my post carefully and he claimed I had stated things that I actually never said like "can't live somewhere nice because it is too far from her university". If you go back and read all my posts, you would confirm I never said such thing. I never said she would be the only girl either.

Living nearby would be for my convenience, not hers. I would save lots of money on taxis and she could stay with me overnight.

Anyway, all those details are irrelevant to what I would like to know. I just need to know how safe it would be to do such thing. I never met a foreigner that lived in a estrato 3 barrio. All of them always stay at El Poblado.

Thanks for your comment!

Quote: (04-02-2012 04:08 AM)garygroundwork Wrote:  

how are you going to enjoy life and relax in an environment wher eit is extremely dangerous just walking the streets at night. Being a gringo in an area liek that is just making urself a target. no way i woudl dot hat for any pussy let alone some colombian who is already bleeding the shit out of me financially...

First of all, as I said in my post, I am not a gringo, I am Latin American so that could be an advantage as I can pass for a Colombian as long as I don't open my mouth and they notice my foreign accent.

I never said she was "bleeding the shit out of me financially". Sorry if that has happened to you but it doesn't happen to everyone on this forum so I wouldn't make such an absurd assumption.

Quote: (04-02-2012 06:51 AM)encanto Wrote:  

Quote: (04-02-2012 04:08 AM)garygroundwork Wrote:  

First of all, as I said in my post, I am not a gringo, I am Latin American so that could be an advantage as I can pass for a Colombian as long as I don't open my mouth and they notice my foreign accent.

I never said she was "bleeding the shit out of me financially". Sorry if that has happened to you but it doesn't happen to everyone on this forum so I wouldn't make such an absurd assumption.

no it hasn't happened to me actually. but u r right i made an 'absurd' assumption...just don't know too many barrio girls that aren't being supported by their novios. Your barrio girl is obviously different and actually has money....my bad. Making an assumption that a colombian girl living in a Medellin barrio run by a gang has money yes that's absurd.

u r right though if u are latin american and speak fluent spanish u probably won't have a problem.

Quote: (04-02-2012 07:43 AM)garygroundwork Wrote:  

no it hasn't happened to me actually. but u r right i made an 'absurd' assumption...just don't know too many barrio girls that aren't being supported by their novios. Your barrio girl is obviously different and actually has money....my bad. Making an assumption that a colombian girl living in a Medellin barrio run by a gang has money yes that's absurd.

u r right though if u are latin american and speak fluent spanish u probably won't have a problem.

Sorry but I still find your assumption quite absurd. I am sure many people on this forum are aware that you don't need any money to get girls if you got game.

While I am not familiar with Roosh's methods, I have developed my own based mostly on Ross Jeffries stuff and my own experience.

Women want to experience things that most guys think can only get them with money and looks. However, if you know what you're doing you can satisfy their needs even with no money and just average looks.

It's been said many times on this forum that Colombian women are stupid because they will choose their ugly poor barrio guy over a rich foreigner. I believe they're not stupid, they go with the guy that gives them what they want.

The gringo may be rich and better looking but that's all he has going on for him, and that's not enough. I am not saying they will always choose the local over the gringo.

I'm just saying they will choose the best guy over the loser and many times the loser is a gringo whose money can't get him to score in the first world and he decides to go to the third world to see if he has a better chance.

This is different from being a gringo like Roosh and others here that think we deserve more than feminazi women and that's why we decide to go where the best women in the world are.

Encanto, one question you didn't answer was what barrio exactly are you moving to. I could be much more specific about your risks if I knew. There are a few areas where some of the local gangs are fighting for control. You don't want to be there (like in Comuna 13) right now.