rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Hands in Pockets, i can't call it

i couldn't find any threads on wether or not you should put your hands in your pockets or not.

i know it seems trivial but it has been on my mind this week.

sometimes it looks cool, other times it looks lame. based on what I've seen of other guys.
might have something to do with the rest of your posture or shoulders or pocket position. i don't know.

it feels a lot more natural and comfortable to put one hand in your pocket whilst you enjoy a cigarette in the smoking section if i'm wearing chinos since they have pockets on the sides and not in front like jeans.

i know that putting your hands in your pockets whilst sitting is the fastest way to look like a tool.

putting hands in jean pockets always seems a little too uncomfortable.
i'm starting to ramble here.

anyway, what are your views on hands in pockets?
and if your just standing, what do you do with your hands if you aren't holding anything?

"Colt 45 and two zigzags, baby that's all we need" - Ronald Reagan

This

[Image: tumblr_kqhee1GiK01qzhsbvo1_500.jpg]

Thumb in frontal belt loop.

(If I'd found a non-shirtless jacked dude pic demonstrating this, I'd have used that instead).

I went out with some guy from the pick up community. I was holding the beer around my belly. he said, 'keep your drinks by your pocket'. It sounded very stupid. (there was a rule about this from some game book)
Will the chick recognize that and my chance of getting laid will be higher? LOL

I think it depends on how you feel. If your hands are in the pocket because you are scared of the environment and not sure how to act properly, then girls will notice right through it. If you come off relaxed yet confident then I see no problem with that.
I think it's the same for crossing your arms.

However, you can Not do those things at the job interview obviously....

Or maybe any pic without fucking Ron Artest with his shirt off lol.

Hands in the pockets seems to be an insecure move to me, especially at a night venue.

I feel the big things is not doing the stuff whole hand down the bottom of the pocket, hunch your shoulders over and look like you may be fishing for your cock.

I usually tuck the tumbs in belt loop, sometimes ill just tuck thumbs into top of pockets or put finger in but keep thumb out.

'I blew most of my money on fast cars, booze and women. The rest I squandered' - George Best

In photography I never let someone put their hand in their pocket. I get them to hook their thumb in the pocket instead so the hand and fingers are showing (loosely hanging).

It comes across as stiff and anxious in photos, and it will in real life as well.

There are enough guys with their hands buried in their pockets flicking coins or keys, just watch them and make your own judgement call.

Quote: (03-29-2012 09:27 PM)basilransom Wrote:  

This

[Image: tumblr_kqhee1GiK01qzhsbvo1_500.jpg]

Thumb in frontal belt loop.

(If I'd found a non-shirtless jacked dude pic demonstrating this, I'd have used that instead).

Aha of course! And you're saying that if I do this a random hot bitch will jump on my back immediately, or do you have to supply your own piggybacking dime-piece?
I think I'm gona need to start hitting the squats more often just to safeguard against a fattie getting up there. I think my game will suffer slightly if I collapse in a heap under some whale every time I do this.

Thanks!

But seriously thanks.

"Colt 45 and two zigzags, baby that's all we need" - Ronald Reagan

Quote: (03-29-2012 10:10 PM)CJ Wrote:  

Or maybe any pic without fucking Ron Artest with his shirt off lol.

Hands in the pockets seems to be an insecure move to me, especially at a night venue.

It's Metta World Peace, man.

I have already described the advantages of one hand in pocket.Main advantages:
1.No guy can push your hand ''accidentally'' and make you lose status.
2.You get very good body language with half part of body not moving and half moving with other hand making gestures.
3.Hand is stable in pocket and does not tremble or shake as it usually happens when meeting a hot girl.
4.You can alsways protect your mobile phone or wallet from pick pocketing.

Whenever I feel the urge to put my hands in my pockets, I force myself to stand akimob.

Plus, its a great way to show dominance and take up space.

[Image: peterpan.jpg]

I'm reading "What Every Body is Saying," the body language book by a former FBI agent and he says that the thumbs are key. Thumbs = Dominance.

Funny enough you can put your hands in your pockets but keep those thumbs showing.

If I'm wearing my jacket (kinda like a bomber), I might lean on something with one elbow, and the other hand is in the jacket pocket. No jacket, hands on hips, knuckles of fingers are foreward.

Hands never (maybe not never) in the pockets of my slacks, but I may hook a thumb into the pocket of jeans I'm wearing.

I've always thought you don't want to put your hands in your front pockets, but if you put them in your back pockets it will help your posture and show a type of fearless body language. With both hands in your back pockets you are in one of your least defensive positions. You are showing you fear no person around you. But it should only be used while waiting, not while talking with somebody.

If you're really hell bent on putting your hand in your pocket, keep the thumb out.

No offense to Basil, but IMHO i would never position my hand that way through thumb-in-belt-loop. Comes off as douche bag, jersey shore wanna be vibe.

My personal preference is as 20Nation mentioned, one or both hands in back pocket, shows dominance, fearlessness and presents you well to your surroundings especially if you're fit and have decent pecs.

You can also try both hands behind your back, one hand grabbing lightly the other, has same effect as both hands in back pockets.

Overall, threads like these make me wonder sometimes if women discuss these things amongst themselves to "better attract men" (it's rhetorical), the answer is obviously NO, they don't need to, as they can look/act like bums and STILL get attention.

I never keep my hands in my pockets-it took some training for me to break myself of the habit.

I do sometimes rest one thumb on the top of my belt or pants top seam, making sure to keep the thumb outside of the pants

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

Standing Akimbo can give a different vibe you are aiming at or belong to, specially at night venues.

Like someone already mentioned, thumbs are important. You can opt for a stance that displays relaxness and shows thumbs. This stance consists of gripping the belt area of your pants and pointing the rest of the fingers to your genitalia area, I cannot remember the name of this stance right now but I hope you can get the picture.

If you have your drinks above your belly, it is considered as being defensive and don't want to be approached. A lot fo the body language books seem to indicate that. By keeping your drinks low on the side, it makes it seem as if you're very approachable.

It has worked for me a couple of times when I held the drink near my left pocket and was resting my right arm behind the girl's waist. It helped me to keep the conversation going without a drink close up near my face.

Quote: (03-29-2012 09:57 PM)Sebastian Wrote:  

I went out with some guy from the pick up community. I was holding the beer around my belly. he said, 'keep your drinks by your pocket'. It sounded very stupid. (there was a rule about this from some game book)

Quote: (03-29-2012 09:57 PM)Sebastian Wrote:  

Will the chick recognize that and my chance of getting laid will be higher? LOL

You're talking about "the beer shield."

Hate to rain on your inner-game parade, but I found the beer shield advice to be incredibly useful - keeping my drink at my side (and also thus sipping it from the side of the glass instead of pouring it down my mouth) really seemed to calm me down and make me more laid back. It's been shown that adopting better body language leads to psychological changes that result in a bolder personality.

And myself and other gamers have noticed in public that guys with beer shields are truly shielding themselves. Is it going to get you laid by itself? No, but body language is an important way to not knock yourself out of the competition before you even open your mouth.