rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Health: Juicing

Who juices?

Here's a fascinating video on the healing power of fruits and vegetables:

Juicing vegetables very high in sugar like carrots or beets give a lot of people, including me, a bit too much of a sugar rush. Unless I'm very active and have been out in the sun a long time I avoid them.

Most fruits are fine. Apple and ginger is great in winter. A lot of greens, like wheatgrass, taste disgusting straight; but blended with a banana, a sweeter juice (say apple) and a fat (say avocado) actually taste quite good. A bit like a Matcha Frupocinno.

I don't have a juicer but I do make a lot of smoothies in the summer months. Yes its always good to throw a good amount into the mix. I use a lot of Alfalfa sprouts in my drinks. Ull nut buckets on a lizard face with Alfalfa sprouts in your diet. The body absorbs foods/nutrients best in liquid form as it gets what it needs quickly without having to expend a lot of energy to get it. Also having the stuff at room temperature helps also as cold foods use more energy to digest.

Dandelion greens is something I can only eat if its blended up. I have high tolerance for fucked up foods but these greens taste like absolute shit, I would munch on wheatgrass anyday of Dandelion greens. Yuk.

When I looked at this thread I thought you were talking about doing steroids. I was going to tell this long story about a guy I knew and how bad it fucked him up.

But seriously, you're better off eating the whole fruit than the juice. Juice is too much sugar.

Quote: (03-29-2012 05:55 PM)TheBear Wrote:  

But seriously, you're better off eating the whole fruit than the juice. Juice is too much sugar.

Sorry, bro, but you don't really know what you're talking about and shouldn't spread disinformation.

Juicing encompasses a wide variety of fruits and vegetables.

I just finished a juice containing 3 beets, several celery stalks, some romaine lettuce, and two carrots.

25 or so grams of carbs, max.

Even a very carb-heavy juice for me contains no more than 50 grams of carbs.

Plus, juicing doesn't give the same blood sugar crash as a can of soda or glass of pasteurized orange juice.

Totally different.

Smoothies are the way to go. A lot more fiber, and you keep the enzymes active for longer. I saw Joe Rogan blend up some green leaf veggies and shit. It looks like it tastes disgusting, but has to be good for you. A huge glass like that would probably take someone a little it to choke down (10-15 minutes) at first, but then you'd probably get used to it

You guys are killing me.

I asked: Who juices?

I honestly don't GAF if some guy saw some Joe Rogan video or have an opinion about sugars.

Whenever I post, it's only about things I have personal experience with.

I don't guess, go off second-hand knowledge, or make stuff up. I do something and then offer my experiences and thoughts.

So......Who juices?

Quote: (03-29-2012 06:30 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

You guys are killing me.

I honestly don't GAF if some guy saw some Joe Rogan video or have an opinion about sugars.

I don't guess, go off second-hand knowledge, or make stuff up. I do something and then offer my experiences and thoughts.

So......Who juices?

If you want to know who juices, post a poll thread. your message would have come across clearer and you dont have to read every post in the thread.

done both juicing with green veg, tomato, and ginger and blending with only garlic chives and water. I would give you my experiences with them as well, but that might be too much second-hand knowledge.

I have juiced, including carrots, all kinds of vegetables, also grapefruit, which is really good. I will start again but don't have my juicer with me.

Some of the juices do cause an insulin spike depending on the ingredients. 50 carbs is a ton. (Diabetics are limited to 15 per meal for a reference). The problem with juicing and blood sugar is that the process eliminates the fiber (by design) which is what helps slow sugar absorption.
But again it depends what you're juicing.

So all in all i'm a fan of juice extractors and yes do it when i can + have time

I juice a couple times a week. My base is carrots and celery, to that I add some type of greens (kale, broccoli, spinach, chard) and also something sweet like a few apples.

I love it.

Quote: (03-29-2012 06:19 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

Quote: (03-29-2012 05:55 PM)TheBear Wrote:  

Sorry, bro, but you don't really know what you're talking about and shouldn't spread disinformation.

Juicing encompasses a wide variety of fruits and vegetables.

I just finished a juice containing 3 beets, several celery stalks, some romaine lettuce, and two carrots.

25 or so grams of carbs, max.

Even a very carb-heavy juice for me contains no more than 50 grams of carbs.

Plus, juicing doesn't give the same blood sugar crash as a can of soda or glass of pasteurized orange juice.

Totally different.

From your original post I assumed that you were talking about fruits since that is what most people (including myself) think of when you say juice or juicing. I have no experience juicing anything other than fruit but I do notice that I tend to feel fuller and keep that feeling for longer when I eat whole foods as opposed liquids (like protein shakes).
Do you feel full just drinking juiced vegetables? do you eat with some source of fat/protein?

Smoothies ( made of fruits primarily) are no longer en vogue. The amount of sugar is not good for you. Better eat the whole fruit.

You guys are killing me.

So......Who juices?

Juicer here.

I have made it part of my Mon-Fri routine and am loving it so far. Personally, my favourite concoctions include;

- 1 cucumber + 2 sticks of kale + 2 apples
- 2 apples + 1 pear + 3-4 sticks of celery
- 3-4 sticks of celery + 2 carrots + 2 apples + fresh ginger

I have found since doing this for breakfast I don't feel so sluggish in the morning in comparison to having a carb laden meal. I am not really doing it to lose weight; I simply like how I feel after having my juice in the morning.

Anybody know a bad ass juicer I could buy that wouldn't cost a small fortune.

I'd like one that doesn't leave behind all the pulp. Also, If it was small and relatively portable that would be a plus.

Quote: (04-05-2012 11:51 AM)2Birds_1Stone Wrote:  

I'd like one that doesn't leave behind all the pulp. Also, If it was small and relatively portable that would be a plus.

I've been juicing for a long time, and the best value in juicers is a Breville juicer unless you want to move up to the masticating juicers in the $300-500+ range. That's worth the additional investment if you're going to be doing it every day. And shop around, I wasn't impressed with the prices I saw on Amazon just now.

Quote: (03-29-2012 06:22 PM)UgSlayer Wrote:  

Smoothies are the way to go. A lot more fiber, and you keep the enzymes active for longer. I saw Joe Rogan blend up some green leaf veggies and shit. It looks like it tastes disgusting, but has to be good for you. A huge glass like that would probably take someone a little it to choke down (10-15 minutes) at first, but then you'd probably get used to it

I'm all for health and bodybuilding, as i workout regularly, and on a high protein, low fat/carb diet, but this just seems extremely time consuming. I barely have time to prepare actual meals sometimes, let alone go grocery shopping frequently for all these ingredients.

Have you seen how many multi-vitamins/supplements he takes? that gotta have some temporary short-term impact on his liver/kidneys, if not a severe long-term effect when he hits 50.

IMO doesn't seem worth it going through all that trouble (time/effort/money), unless maybe you wanna go through some "cleansing" phase.

Quote: (04-05-2012 11:51 AM)2Birds_1Stone Wrote:  

Hamilton beach big mouth juicer was rated a best by via consumer reports. I paid $65 for mine on amazon. Loving it.

Celery, lemon, and parsley is very good. I add carrots when drinking it pre -workout. Celery juice gives you bigger loads.

Beets, carrots, kale, ginger is another favorite.

Quote: (03-30-2012 10:34 PM)Lukey Wrote:  

You guys are killing me.

So......Who juices?

Juicer here.

I have made it part of my Mon-Fri routine and am loving it so far. Personally, my favourite concoctions include;

- 1 cucumber + 2 sticks of kale + 2 apples
- 2 apples + 1 pear + 3-4 sticks of celery
- 3-4 sticks of celery + 2 carrots + 2 apples + fresh ginger

I have found since doing this for breakfast I don't feel so sluggish in the morning in comparison to having a carb laden meal. I am not really doing it to lose weight; I simply like how I feel after having my juice in the morning.

Right. The reason I'm such a dick to people who bring up the "sugar issue" is that they clearly don't juice. They should STFU.

Carrots have a lot of carbs. But the way a person feels on fresh carrot juice is entirely different from, say, sweet tea.

With juicing, I have no blood sugar crash whatsoever - even with all that "sugar."

Juicing really is different.

Quote: (04-09-2012 12:39 AM)Perseus Wrote:  

Quote: (03-29-2012 06:22 PM)UgSlayer Wrote:  

I'm all for health and bodybuilding, as i workout regularly, and on a high protein, low fat/carb diet, but this just seems extremely time consuming. I barely have time to prepare actual meals sometimes, let alone go grocery shopping frequently for all these ingredients.

Have you seen how many multi-vitamins/supplements he takes? that gotta have some temporary short-term impact on his liver/kidneys, if not a severe long-term effect when he hits 50.

IMO doesn't seem worth it going through all that trouble (time/effort/money), unless maybe you wanna go through some "cleansing" phase.

I always ate clean, so I feel you.

Then I had some health problems that juicing has resolved.

Eating "clean" isn't enough for optimal health.

We need to phytonutrients from veggies and juices, too.

Anyone have any opinions on blenders as opposed to juicers?

Feel free to PM me for wine advice or other stuff
ROK Article: 5 Reasons To Have Wine On A Date
RVF Wine Thread

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm a Cheap/Frugal SOB so I will definitely be looking into buying something below $100 but you get what you pay for.

I have been introduced to juicing and I love how simple and easy it is to get nutrients without whipping out the hardware and turning on the oven. Also, It helps your body absorb vitamins more efficiently. That's a win-win for me.

I toss in piles of kale and spinach into my protein smoothies but thats about it. I'm considering examining this further.

mike, do you juice like in the classic sense i.e. extra the liquid and leave behind a husk you don't consume? or is it all mashed up?

Quote: (04-09-2012 11:32 AM)reaper23 Wrote:  

I toss in piles of kale and spinach into my protein smoothies but thats about it. I'm considering examining this further.

do you juice like in the classic sense i.e. extra the liquid and leave behind a husk you don't consume? or is it all mashed up?

I have a blendtec and just did two cups frozen blueberries with 3 pieces of large kale (leaves; stems removed).

so i do both. Juicing just feels different. Also, it's hard choking down blended kale.

The juicer I have removes all the pulp.

I juice once a day....I'll get anywhere from 5-10 servings of fruits and vegetables this way.

So today, e.g., I'll end up doing:
5 huge celery stalks, 1/2 bunch of parsley, 4 carrots, and 1 lemon. (I add l-glutamine and drink this pre-workout.)

That's 10+ servings of vegetables. How else could I get those phytonutrients unless spending all day munching on stuff like a cow?

Later a protein smoothie with coconut milk, kale, and blueberries.

Dinner of salmon or grass-fed beef with kale chips or cabbage sauteed in coconut oil.

When I'm juicing, that's 12+ servings of nutrition.

Quote: (04-09-2012 09:23 AM)2Birds_1Stone Wrote:  

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm a Cheap/Frugal SOB so I will definitely be looking into buying something below $100 but you get what you pay for.

I have been introduced to juicing and I love how simple and easy it is to get nutrients without whipping out the hardware and turning on the oven. Also, It helps your body absorb vitamins more efficiently. That's a win-win for me.

It's not about being cheap so much as about making yourslef prove you'll juice.

Guys always go out and buy the top of the line stuff all excited and shit...then don't use it.

I started with the $65 big mouth to make sure I didn't waste money on a more expensive juicer. I had to prove (to myself) that I deserved a better juicer.

In a few months, I'm going to get the omega 8005.

It's more expensive, but the yields (juice per piece of produce) is higher. So in the long run, it cost averages out.